Fluctuating altitude displayed
2667 17 2017-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevorL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225978 ft
United Kingdom

I've been getting this issue (and another) the last few days. The displayed altitude in the DJI Go4 app changes erratically and sometimes even triggers RTH. Below are 2 lib=nks to it happening.

I've done an IMU calibration on a dead level surface, and calibrated the compass at the 2 locations in the video, in the middle of the field with no metal objects on me, and my son holding the controller at around 25M away. Firmware is up to date and today and yesterday KP index has been at 1.

The sensors are clean and the tests were carried out at full battery.

I'm connecting to the remote via WIFI as I have been advised by DJI not to use this.
I tried with the Crysytalsky ans also with iPhone 7+

Flight record directory here (Crystalsky) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yf6no ... bLsUNcd5VzlMxa?dl=0

Has anyone got any ideas?

2017-10-8
Use props
TrevorL
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I will post logs from my iOS device later.
2017-10-8
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

Oh man i had the same issue in my android 4.1.8 version i have the 4.1.9 but it seems its fixed....Also look at the flight records you will see that the flight altitude is normal.Its software issue in my case....
2017-10-8
Use props
TrevorL
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Mmm. I'm getting it on iOS and the Crystalsky android also.  Even worse when the altitude shows a very low altitude it starts to auto land.
2017-10-8
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

@ DJi, that 's a bad issue, the auto-land is not safe, i was looking to order such device. I will put my Crystalsky order on hold until further communication about this.
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, have you peeled off the film of the downward VPS? If yes, please refer the below video and export all data for further analysis. Thanks for cooperation.

2017-10-9
Use props
TrevorL
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Data has been provided in first post.  Yes sticker has been peeled. Thanks
2017-10-10
Use props
fans0745d511
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4442 ft
United States

[size=14.6667px]I too have experienced a similar problem. Before I go farther, I have done everything usually suggested...calibration, factory restore, DJIAssitant reload of firmware, flight with app alone (no remote), flight with remote alone (no app), etc.

[size=14.6667px]Mine will track to about 8-9 meters using the proximity sensors (showing the sensor icon next to the altitude), and then, as the Spark rises, the app display will flicker back and forth between the real(?) altitude (without the proximity icon) and something like 8.5 meters (with the proximity icon). Very similar to the video posted above in this thread, but not at 0.5 meters...more like 8 meters for me.[size=14.6667px]
[size=14.6667px]This seems to produce some odd behaviors:
[size=14.6667px]
  • I can release the sticks while ascending and the Spark will continue to rise at the same rate for a while
  • Conversely, the Spark will drop like a rock (possibly faster than it would with the stick all the way down, before the problem) when descending and releasing the sticks.
  • At first, I thought the flight log showed the correct altitude, but then realized there was something odd in some of the logs. It seems to only record altitude from the barometer, and doesn't show the proximity sensor altitude. At first I thought "Oh, at least the drone knows its true altitude. Must be the app!", but then.... I had one flight were the "flickering" between altitude sensors stopped at a fairly high altitude, showing only the proximity sensor at 8.5 meter, until it got close to landing. The last barometer reading was at 18 meters. The flight log showed I never went below 18 meters even after landing. To be clear, I took off and landed in the exact same spot.

I'm intrigued at what is causing this, as it seems better on some flights, and terrible on others. I'm guessing that it is one of two things.

[size=14.6667px]
  • The barometer chip/sensor is failing and the proximity sensor is basically used and reports it's max detection range (8 meters?)
  • The proximity sensors are reporting something (falsely) that overrides the barometer reading

I did put a service call in to DJI and they said to send it in (they were very nice), but I'm a curious person and really want to see if there is a solution without sending it in. This would save me, and possibly others, unnecessary time away from their favorite toy...errr...I mean drone.

Anyone else experience the issue? Anyone solve the issue?

2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans0745d511 Posted at 2017-10-11 11:29
I too have experienced a similar problem. Before I go farther, I have done everything usually suggested...calibration, factory restore, DJIAssitant reload of firmware, flight with app alone (no remote), flight with remote alone (no app), etc.

Mine will track to about 8-9 meters using the proximity sensors (showing the sensor icon next to the altitude), and then, as the Spark rises, the app display will flicker back and forth between the real(?) altitude (without the proximity icon) and something like 8.5 meters (with the proximity icon). Very similar to the video posted above in this thread, but not at 0.5 meters...more like 8 meters for me.

Please export your flight data and we can help you locate the problem. In addition, What is the version of your app? What is the model of your device? Thanks for your support.
2017-10-12
Use props
TrevorL
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I still haven't been given a solution to this problem. I haven't even been asked to send the drone in, no reply from support ticket.
2017-10-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I'm sure DJI will follow up on your issue if a ticket was raised.  Maybe a DJI Moderator will touch base with you on this post.
2017-10-13
Use props
TrevorL
lvl.2
United Kingdom

They asked me to refresh the firmware which I did and reported back to them. I have now received a customer feedback request so I'll wait and see if there is any follow up. It's been 5 days since they asked me to update firmware. Nearly 2 weeks with this particular issue and without being able to fly.
2017-10-13
Use props
TrevorL
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ok, after reading a post in another forum tried removing the skin from the Spark. I just made a quick test in my garden and the problem of fluctuating altitude did not occur. I'll be testing more this week but this is possibly a fix.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

TrevorL Posted at 2017-10-15 00:32
Ok, after reading a post in another forum tried removing the skin from the Spark. I just made a quick test in my garden and the problem of fluctuating altitude did not occur. I'll be testing more this week but this is possibly a fix.

TrevorL, please let us know if the problem shows again.
2017-10-15
Use props
TrevorL
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you!
2017-10-15
Use props
Vlcko
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4800 ft
United States

I have exactlythe same problem. Seems like barometer is not engaged in altitude reading. I did not contact the DJI support but now I will. Seems this is a commonissue.
2018-7-9
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Vlcko Posted at 2018-7-9 19:27
I have exactlythe same problem. Seems like barometer is not engaged in altitude reading. I did not contact the DJI support but now I will. Seems this is a commonissue.

Vicko,

With this particular case, the problem was Spark's skin. Trevor removed it and problem went away.
It was not an issue with Spark.

Mirek
2018-7-10
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

your videos are un available
2018-7-10
Use props
Advanced