Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11.0.3 works great! updated 11.2!
12Next >
4823 48 2017-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, first I tested my iPhone 7 with the iOS 11 before taking the plunge with the new phone. IMO iOS 11.02 was working perfectly with my Mavic and Spark. I even tried the Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 1 and 2 series to see if any problems arose.  After my test flights, I decided to trade my iPhone 7 into the AT&T shop and pick up the iPhone 8 Plus...  I wanted a little bigger screen for flying my Mavic Pro and Spark without going to my iPad

I have been continuing to fly my drones using the new iPhone 8 Plus with great success and wanted to share this information with others that have been thinking about changing over. To tell you the truth, I would be happy to stay with the iPhone 7 if it had been the Plus version....  

Feel free to comment and add your iPhone experience to this thread for others to learn.

PS the screen recording feature on iOS 11 works great and is much better than the third party App "Shou"  

Give it a try if you haven't already.

Edit: 12/12/2017  Please note that the latest Apple iOS update to 11.2 works on the Mavic, P4P and Inspire 2   no problems

All the best
Rich
Single SelectVote, Total 45 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

28.89% (13)
51.11% (23)
20.00% (9)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-10-8
Use props
Z06Aggie
lvl.1
United States

Good to know!  Picked up an iPhone 8+ last week, going to fly for the first time with the new phone later this afternoon.  
2017-10-8
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

It has worked well for me as well.
2017-10-8
Use props
Gregbella
Second Officer
Australia

How well does the 8 plus fit in the RC
2017-10-9
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sticking with my 7 Plus for now until probably next year then going for the X.  Just upgraded to iOS 11.02 kinda like it but will put it through the paces with the MP later this week.
2017-10-9
Use props
Z06Aggie
lvl.1
United States

Gregbella Posted at 2017-10-9 01:41

My 8+ with protective cover will not fit in the RC.  I purchased the PolarPro phone mount from Best Buy (Model MVC-RMT-PMNT) and the phone is really too heavy for it.  The mount came undone from the RC a couple times, from the weight of the 8+.  I will be looking for a different mount to use.  

What does everyone else use for their 8+ with protective case?  I'm thinking the PGYTECH Mavic/Spark Tablet Holder might be a better option, and hold more securely.  
2017-10-9
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Waiting on the iPhone X - but really waiting on the CrystalSky Ultra.  That should be very impressive!
2017-10-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gregbella Posted at 2017-10-9 01:41

I guess this would depend on the type of case you buy. I have the Apple leather case and it fits just fine. Otterbox style (or the battleproof case) most likely will not fit in the grooves of the RC.

So far so good
Rich
2017-10-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-10-9 05:53
Waiting on the iPhone X - but really waiting on the CrystalSky Ultra.  That should be very impressive!

I really like the looks of the "X" iPhone but the edge to edge screen makes it harder to mount into the present day drone devices.  I could have waited another life cycle, but wanted the larger display (+)  very happy with the new phone so far.

once all the bugs are worked out of the "X" design... I will probably get that the next time around
Rich
2017-10-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-10-9 05:53

Instead of the crystal sky buy the iPad Pro 10.5 it works great in the direct sunlight and you can use 3rd party apps like litchi...
2017-10-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Z06Aggie Posted at 2017-10-9 05:15
My 8+ with protective cover will not fit in the RC.  I purchased the PolarPro phone mount from Best Buy (Model MVC-RMT-PMNT) and the phone is really too heavy for it.  The mount came undone from the RC a couple times, from the weight of the 8+.  I will be looking for a different mount to use.  

What does everyone else use for their 8+ with protective case?  I'm thinking the PGYTECH Mavic/Spark Tablet Holder might be a better option, and hold more securely.

if you are using a bulky case then you might consider one of these mounts.. very nice option
Mavic RC mount

Rich
2017-10-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-10-9 09:10
Instead of the crystal sky buy the iPad Pro 10.5 it works great in the direct sunlight and you can use 3rd party apps like litchi...

Hi R&L

I agree with you, but I use the iPad Pro for my Inspire 2.... its a bit much to use on the Mavic (for me)

Have you tired the new screen recorder in iOS 11 yet?    it works really nicely!
Rich
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing us with your experience. I will wait for the next iPhone.
2017-10-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-15 19:09
Thanks for sharing us with your experience. I will wait for the next iPhone.

Hi Susan,
I would have waited.. but wanted the larger screen for my Mavic    Next year they will have the iPhone X V2

Rich
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-15 20:08
Hi Susan,
I would have waited.. but wanted the larger screen for my Mavic    Next year they will have the iPhone X V2

Ha ha, I'm glad that they take my money as long as the iPhone X V2 attracts me.
2017-10-17
Use props
Cybermacdonald
New
Flight distance : 1788025 ft
Hong Kong

Great to know 8plus work ! But my 8 cannot Connect between mavic n osmo mobile , tired many ways to fixed but still got problem here .
2017-10-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cybermacdonald Posted at 2017-10-17 10:01
Great to know 8plus work ! But my 8 cannot Connect between mavic n osmo mobile , tired many ways to fixed but still got problem here .

Because we know that the Mavic is working okay, then it must be something with the OSMO mobile ... did you look for any updates ?  

Thanks for sharing, I only have the OSMO standard version with X3 so far it works okay with iPhone 8 plus

Rich
2017-10-17
Use props
0DAY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 458238 ft
United States

I and MANY others have not had the same experience with the IPhone 8+ aka IPhone 8 plus.  DJI posts even indicate it's not compatible so I am not sure why yours works.  Can you post details of what firmware version and application versions you are running for the Iphone, and Mavic  Pro Please..
2017-10-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

0DAY Posted at 2017-10-19 16:00
I and MANY others have not had the same experience with the IPhone 8+ aka IPhone 8 plus.  DJI posts even indicate it's not compatible so I am not sure why yours works.  Can you post details of what firmware version and application versions you are running for the Iphone, and Mavic  Pro Please..

Hi ODAY

Not sure why some issues have been popping up with others. I am posting a screen shot of all of the information you requested and my iPhone 8 + is on iOS 11.03.

I had a issue yesterday with the Go 4 App crashing on me mid flight with about 80% battery power and I was also using my goggles. I was able to get my Mavic Pro back, while it was hovering in the air, I shut down my goggles and rebooted the Go 4 App before it reconnected. All I can say is, this is the first time I have ever had any problems.  As you can see I was about 4500 feet away from my location and over the top of a lake.

I flew today and everything worked as it should ... no problems at all.
Rich

IMG_9381.PNG IMG_9395.PNG
2017-10-19
Use props
geppetto4
New
United States

Any updates on this issue?
I just got an iPhone 8Plus and am anticipating getting the Spark.  
Does the spark work with the iPhone 8 Plus ?
Or should I go back to At&t and get the iPhone 7+?
Hope you can help.

Matthew  
2017-10-24
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

geppetto4 Posted at 2017-10-24 15:09

I flew my Mavic Pro today with my iPhone 8 Plus with the iOS 11.0.03  no problems at all. The Spark works also, but I will check it out again tomorrow ...

You should be just fine with the new phone. I think what is being said that's not working is the beta 11.1 iOS software...  I am not going to update 11.1 until DJI has updated to this one!!  

Rich
2017-10-24
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Glad to hear success with the iPhone 8+.  I am ready to get one but I'd seen some reports of problems between that phone and the Mavic.  Nonetheless, for safety, I don't plan to turn in my iPhone 6,
2017-10-24
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-10-24 17:34
Glad to hear success with the iPhone 8+.  I am ready to get one but I'd seen some reports of problems between that phone and the Mavic.  Nonetheless, for safety, I don't plan to turn in my iPhone 6,

Yah, I have seen some bad reports, but so far I have had only one glitch knock on wood. going flying again tomorrow and will be testing the range again. I think as long as you keep the iOS on 11.0.3 you should be okay. IMO

Really like the 8+... wish it was the X  

Rich
2017-10-24
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

You mean the "new" iPhone 8, which is the same as the old iPhone7, which is the same as the iPhone 6s, which is the same as the oldest iPhone 6....?? The actual new iPhone (X) with the "new" face recognition unlocking feature (that failed in its official Apple presentation)  won't be my next Apple handset...DJI Go 4 app is broken enough with my old iPhone7....
2017-10-25
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-25 00:45
You mean the "new" iPhone 8, that is the same as the old iPhone7, that is the same as the iPhone 6s, that is the same as the oldest iPhone 6....?? The actual new iPhone (X) with the "new" face recognition unlocking feature (that failed in its official Apple presentation)  won't be my next Apple handset...DJI Go 4 app is broken enough with my old iPhone7....

Dear friend,
You are a joker.....
.....but you are.....completely.... right!!!!
2017-10-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

geppetto4 Posted at 2017-10-24 15:09

Flew 2 batteries today using the same location as before (with glitch)...  no problems with the iPhone 8 plus phone. Also had my goggles connected without any problems.

Rich
2017-10-25
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft
United States

No problems with the iPhone 8Plus, but IOS 11.1 released so upgrading and will have to try it,  The 8Plus gives you more screen real estate than the X I believe when mounted in the RC, which takes up some top and bottom space which is no issue with the bezel on the 8Plus.  Do have to remove the case (I use a Speck case with a Bodyguardz screen protector.  Case is easily removed.  Fits RC with screen protector but it is a little tight.  I will say that the iPad mini (I have a Mini 2) is still the best for fit (with an angled connector) and screen real estate without having to use an aftermarket holder.
2017-11-4
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just upgraded my 8 Plus,to iOS 11.2 but not had chance to test it yet. Will report feedback later if I can.
2017-11-11
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-11-11 00:49
Just upgraded my 8 Plus,to iOS 11.2 but not had chance to test it yet. Will report feedback later if I can.

great   let us know

Rich
2017-11-12
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iPhone 8 Plus - iOS11.2 Beta 4 absolutely fine. No issue at all. Couple of flights. Also impressed with the new props as well. Definitely found them quieter and would say the flights were marginally better in terms of battery life as well. Great work DJI on the new props. Top marks.
2017-11-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-11-19 13:46
iPhone 8 Plus - iOS11.2 Beta 4 absolutely fine. No issue at all. Couple of flights. Also impressed with the new props as well. Definitely found them quieter and would say the flights were marginally better in terms of battery life as well. Great work DJI on the new props. Top marks.

Thank you for the update. I have not updated to the iOS 11.1.2 and will wait. Also, DJI updated to Go4 4..1.17 which caused some issues for me.  I certainly wish iTunes would let you manage your Apps on the PC.  
Rich  

Love the new props and agree completely with your assessment.

Rich
2017-11-19
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

I just bought my iPhone 8 Plus having used my iPhone 6 for the last 3 years. I have ~30 hours of flight time on my Mavic Pro and have had 0 issues with the Mavic and DJI Go4 App. Low and behold, after getting my iPhone 8 Plus up to date with the latest iOS (11.1.2), I CANNOT get the DJI Go4 App to establish a connection with the Mavic Pro using my iPhone 8 Plus. I've uninstalled, reinstalled the DJI Go4 App, rebooted my iPhone, nothing changing. I've connected the iPhone 8 Plus to the side micro USB and to the USB connection from the bottom of the RC. Very, VERY disappointing to find this out. Probably my fault for not checking. Any idea as to how to fix this, or roll back my iOS to a working version, please let me know. Looks like the suggested route is rolling back to a beta version. Thanks
2017-11-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2017-11-25 10:51
I just bought my iPhone 8 Plus having used my iPhone 6 for the last 3 years. I have ~30 hours of flight time on my Mavic Pro and have had 0 issues with the Mavic and DJI Go4 App. Low and behold, after getting my iPhone 8 Plus up to date with the latest iOS (11.1.2), I CANNOT get the DJI Go4 App to establish a connection with the Mavic Pro using my iPhone 8 Plus. I've uninstalled, reinstalled the DJI Go4 App, rebooted my iPhone, nothing changing. I've connected the iPhone 8 Plus to the side micro USB and to the USB connection from the bottom of the RC. Very, VERY disappointing to find this out. Probably my fault for not checking. Any idea as to how to fix this, or roll back my iOS to a working version, please let me know. Looks like the suggested route is rolling back to a beta version. Thanks

Sorry to hear this and I have still not updated my phone to 11.1.2 . It is still working with 11..0.3 and have updated to the latest DJI Go 4 App 4.1.18  but there are some things I do not like they did (IMO)  

So, if you are happy with the way things are working, leave it alone.

Apple made many changes to iTunes and the iOS. You will need to google it and see if you can roll back your phone. I would start with your backup file from the old phone.  turn off find my iPhone and then do a reset. Then restore from your back up
Rich
2017-11-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2017-11-25 10:51

I restored my iPhone 8 Plus from one of my backups done in Oct 2017. I was running DJI Go 4 App 4.1.12 and iOS 11.0.3 after doing so I could not get my phone to connect with my drones. I basically had the same issue as you trying everything with no luck. So I decided to update my phone to the latest iOS 11.1.2

I can confirm that my iPhone 8 plus is working with iOS 11.1.2 and DJI Go 4
working on my following drones
Mavic Pro
P4P
Inspire 2 with Cendence remote

Rich
2017-11-28
Use props
Lowlead
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1362283 ft
Canada

Good afternoon all, first post!

I can say that the iOS 11.1.2 and the latest DJI Go 4 app, or any of my third party apps for that matter, do not connect to the mavic.  I am using an iPhone 6 though, so the 8 Plus that I ordered a few days ago will fix that.  I have learned that I need to be more diligent with my iPhone backups, because I do not have the ability AFAIK to roll back my iOS.

Having said all that, with a couple minutes on the phone to DJI tech support they revealed that its a known issue and the developers are having a hard time keeping up with Apple on the iOS updates.  Stand by for further ATIS message apparently...

We'll see.
2017-11-28
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

Just tested my co-workers iPhone 8 Plus to see if his iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 11.1.2 would work (unlike mine). HIS WORKS!!!! The only difference between his phone and mine is that my carrier is Sprint, he is AT&T, and my phone is 256gb, his is 64gb. Why is this happening? Do I have a faulty iPhone?
2017-11-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2017-11-28 09:44
Just tested my co-workers iPhone 8 Plus to see if his iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 11.1.2 would work (unlike mine). HIS WORKS!!!! The only difference between his phone and mine is that my carrier is Sprint, he is AT&T, and my phone is 256gb, his is 64gb. Why is this happening? Do I have a faulty iPhone?

Thanks for your update, my iPhone is the 256 g and is running on AT&T. I have heard that some features; differences can happen between carriers. Seems weird to me that the phone carrier would not connect with at all... so it seems like you are on to something; Sprint vs AT&T   anything is possible. This could also explain why most all Wi-Fi iPads work without any issues.

Rich
2017-11-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lowlead Posted at 2017-11-28 09:33
Good afternoon all, first post!

I can say that the iOS 11.1.2 and the latest DJI Go 4 app, or any of my third party apps for that matter, do not connect to the mavic.  I am using an iPhone 6 though, so the 8 Plus that I ordered a few days ago will fix that.  I have learned that I need to be more diligent with my iPhone backups, because I do not have the ability AFAIK to roll back my iOS.

Look at post #36, I think he is possibly on the right track. Seems that cellular carriers are not all the same and maybe this is the reason?  Are you on Sprint?  So far all my Apps are working with my iPhone 8 Plus on iOS 11.1.2

But i did have some trouble after restoring my phone from a backup....
Rich
2017-11-28
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-11-28 21:11
Thanks for your update, my iPhone is the 256 g and is running on AT&T. I have heard that some features; differences can happen between carriers. Seems weird to me that the phone carrier would not connect with at all... so it seems like you are on to something; Sprint vs AT&T   anything is possible. This could also explain why most all Wi-Fi iPads work without any issues.

Rich

Hey Rich, I finally solved after hours of troubleshooting. Here's a thread link with my resolution info: https://forum.dji.com/thread-121625-1-1.html
2017-11-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2017-11-29 06:28
Hey Rich, I finally solved after hours of troubleshooting. Here's a thread link with my resolution info: https://forum.dji.com/thread-121625-1-1.html

WJ
Glad you were able to get things going again. I got my iPhone 8+ going from a backup also, but needed to update to 11.1.2 before it started working again.

All the best
Rich
2017-11-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules