OK i pulled the Tiger
1052 33 2017-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

I looked at a lot of different drones and finally settled on a Phantom 3 professional. Somebody congratulate me ........thanks
So basically it's the standard package although it did come with a nice DJI carrying case.

So what do I need to get next?

I am sure I will need batteries. Any of the third party batteries trustworthy?

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

2017-10-8
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Do yourself a favor and do lots of reading here before EVER updating the firmware.
2017-10-8
Use props
fansc14abf14
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28652 ft
United States

you are so right because that is why am here!  my p3p will not update.
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Welcome to Phantom community. Just to verify, have you activated the drone? If not, please refer this tutorial video and have a try.

Also, battery is important for flight safety. I always recommend the original batteries.

2017-10-8
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, JI Susan.

I this point I have not done anything I am still trying to connect my iPhone 5s to my controller.

Has there been reported problems with the third party batteries or is that your personal philosophy?

Thanks for the video
2017-10-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-10-9 01:38
Thanks, JI Susan.

I this point I have not done anything I am still trying to connect my iPhone 5s to my controller.

Aloha Steve,

If you want your P3P (a wonderful bird) to stay in the air, go with the original DJI battery.  If there is any question about it being original, check the serial number here.  There are many horror stories here on the Forum about people who got suckered into buying third party batteries and had no end of problems.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-9
Use props
Toorboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 02:43
Aloha Steve,

If you want your P3P (a wonderful bird) to stay in the air, go with the original DJI battery.  If there is any question about it being original, check the serial number here.  There are many horror stories here on the Forum about people who got suckered into buying third party batteries and had no end of problems.

Cetacean is spot on man here don't risk losing your expensive bird
because you saved a few quid on cheap 3RD party batteries
they should now be blocked with firmware now I think
the same thing happened years ago with cheap 3DR party props
for the p1 guess what happened (FAIL!!!!!!) lol
2017-10-9
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-10-9 01:38
Thanks, JI Susan.

I recommend that you use DJI batteries.  These are the things that keep your bird in the air.  You REALLY don't want an outside company working on a very major component.  I would suspect that if there ever were a problem, when DJI looks at the logs they will see that it wasn't a compliant battery and then they wash their hands.... and you are drone-less.  I know they are expensive.  I know it's tempting, but skimp somewhere else.... even a small problem (3-4 seconds?) could totally hose you.... just think about it....
2017-10-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Oh Dear here we go again ..with the tales of damn and damnation if you dare to use a 3rd party battery !!

This is a DJI run Forum - so they will not condone or support any reference to 3rd party batterys - even  though most work, are NOT blocked by FW ...

Nigel
2017-10-9
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You connect your iPhone 5S using the usb cable via the Go app you will need to download.
2017-10-9
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Yes, Aerial-Image I understand that.

I am wondering if I have the wrong controller. The controller I have only has one USB mini port and not the standard USB port also.

See the photo. Is this the Phantom 3 professional controller?
controller.jpg
2017-10-9
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Different - ..... you'll need a different lead then with small usb - they must have changed that to save money - my 300b TX has a standard and a small usb
2017-10-9
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Nope, I got ripped off. This is a  Phantom 3 4K not a professional.
I did not know they were so similar cosmetically. The front badge is slightly different between the two
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-10-9 11:18
I did not know they were so similar cosmetically. The front badge is slightly different between the two

Noted, according to the P3P manual page 9 you should have a USB standard port.

Sorry bout that, can you return it?
2017-10-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

When I read the thread title, I actually was expecting a large striped cat...

image.gif

RedHotPoker
2017-10-9
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 11:26
Noted, according to the P3P manual page 9 you should have a USB standard port.

Sorry bout that, can you return it?

I bought it from a guy off of Craigslist.  I really think he thought it was a professional. He kept trying to convince me that it was a professional, then I sent him the photo of the front badge that read phantom 4k.  Then he stopped texting me back. It's my fault I did not realize the two looked so much alike. I saw the gold and the 4K and did not look closer...stupid
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-10-9 11:57
I bought it from a guy off of Craigslist.  I really think he thought it was a professional. He kept trying to convince me that it was a professional, then I sent him the photo of the front badge that read phantom 4k.  Then he stopped texting me back. It's my fault I did not realize the two looked so much alike. I saw the gold and the 4K and did not look closer...stupid

Sorry about that, well maybe you can make lemonade out of your lemon...I'm not saying a P3 4k is a lemon either.
Wishing you the best
2017-10-9
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-9 11:43
When I read the thread title, I actually was expecting a large striped cat...

[view_image]

Well that's what I get for not proofreading
2017-10-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 12:00
Sorry about that, well maybe you can make lemonade out of your lemon...I'm not saying a P3 4k is a lemon either.
Wishing you the best

Yes, hope for the best.... ;-) image.jpeg
But we know how this usually ends... Sadly.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-9
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-10-9 11:18

Ok - well you will need to use your mobile's wifi - to connect to the remote wirelessly then?

2017-10-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Can you not make claim via Craigslist itself to push the guy to refund etc ?

Nigel
2017-10-9
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-9 22:37
Can you not make claim via Craigslist itself to push the guy to refund etc ?

Nigel

I did a Craigslist search for complaints and did not find one. Do you know how to do it or where to look?
2017-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Sorry never used Craigslist - I just assumed it would have a Claims avenue ?
They do have a Contact button ... so contact Craigslist and see what they say...

eBay / Amazon .... etc. all have one ...

Did you use Paypal or Credit Card ? They will act if you did.

Nigel
2017-10-10
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Craigslist is just a go between for the seller and buyer.  Just like Auto trader.
2017-10-10
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

quadpilot Posted at 2017-10-10 08:40
Oh Dear
defo try doing what nigel says
craigs list must have a contact details somewhere on their site

He advertised clearly it as a Professional. I think he thought it was a Professional. He said no way was he giving my money back

If I get another drone I am getting the pro. I may save up and get the Phantom 4 Pro.  I am not thrilled with the quality of the video and stills from the Phantom 3 4K

Thanks
2017-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Strange ... "I am not thrilled with the quality of the video and stills from the Phantom 3 4K" ..... its a 4K camera same as the P3Pro ...... and quality is spot on.

Have you checked out the settings ? Maybe previous owner was using a crap SD card and knocked the resolution etc. back accordingly ? The 4K setting requires a very good fast write speed card ...

Back to claims ...........

I would chase him via credit card / paypal / craigslist contact - everyway possible. His refusal to refund is not appreciated and there is a 'fraudulent' FAQ on Craigslist .......... which basically the guy has committed.

I'm one who will bite and not let go .....

Nigel;
2017-10-10
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Haha, maybe the seller is a grizzly.   You'll let go!
2017-10-10
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-10 10:56
Strange ... "I am not thrilled with the quality of the video and stills from the Phantom 3 4K" ..... its a 4K camera same as the P3Pro ...... and quality is spot on.

Have you checked out the settings ? Maybe previous owner was using a crap SD card and knocked the resolution etc. back accordingly ? The 4K setting requires a very good fast write speed card ...

It took some digging to find but I just let craigslist know.  We will see
2017-10-10
Use props
SimonDobbins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204610 ft
United Kingdom

The camera on 4k and Pro are the same, the Pro has LightBridge this is the difference.  Maybe dodgy camera on the drone the 4k on my phantom is great.  I dont fly that far and always in sight therefore the wifi is more than acceptable for me.  The 4k has served me well.
2017-10-11
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Thanks SimonDobbins

I was about to ask that question.

Is the main difference between the 4K and the Pro the distance it can fly from the controller?  

If I was flying in a remote area would the lack of LightBridge effect the ability to fly the 4K in any way?

I think the Camera is working fine. I had read a lot about the camera's image quality and my expectation may have been a bit too high.  I have to remember it's really just a point and shoot with a small sensor that records 4K video.
2017-10-11
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is the Tiger ok??
2017-10-11
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

The trigger?
2017-10-11
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Be sure you are reviewing the video files straight from the sd card inserted into your computer and not the cached videos on your device. There is a HUGE difference in quality. Search youtube for Phantom 4K videos. You will see the real quality.
2017-10-11
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Why did you pull the tiger?
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules