P3S STILL stuck as if in Beginner Mode
2342 15 2017-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Well, so far, I've tried everything I've found here in the forums on this problem, and my Phantom is still acting like it's stuck in Beginner mode, with a maximum altitude of 30m and maximum distance of about 50 meters.

I've had my Phantom for just under 11 months now, and it seems with every Firmware update, I lose a bit more functionality. My controller signal now drops out at a much shorter range than the P3S is rated for, which is even happening within the limitations I'm dealing with now.

I could understand this, if I'd done any aftermarket mods, or was using an app that wasn't specifically designed for the Phantom 3 Standard.

It doesn't give me much confidence in buying any other DJI products, if I can look forward to having to figure out the latest contortion I need to go through to try and make the drone fly the way the specs say it's supposed to.

2017-10-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The updates are not adding any great new features nor much in the way of improved functionality, so why bother with them? Most people seem to think it is necessary to update whenever they appear, but they really just give you grief. Stop doing them.

The 30M altitude and 50M distance limits were introduced at one of the recent updates, and requite you to log out of the DJI Go App, and login in again. You need to do this when your device is within either cell or WiFi range. Once you do this, the lmiti will be removed.
2017-10-8
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

Sounds good, but I did log out and back in of the DJI Go app, and the limits were still there. Logged out, closed out the app, restarted it, logged back in, and still had the limits. Checked my settings, and Beginner Mode was 'Off,' 'Distance Limit' was 'Off,' battery was fully charged, no alerts popped up on the app, yet, when I reached 30m altitude, it stopped climbing, and the app informed me that altitude limit had been reached. Same with the distance limit.

If this gets much worse, I'm going to expect to get instructions like, "Take 3 sheaves of freshly harvested wheat to a sacred site on the New Moon, face the east, wave the sheaves four times, face the west, wave the sheaves six times, face the south, wave the sheaves twice while chanting, 'Ohwah Taphoo Lyam,' three times in a high falsetto, then face north, eat the wheat, belch loudly, dance the Charleston, and restart the app..."
2017-10-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

LOL   Sometimes the app says it, but it means nothing.  Try to just go fly as normal.
2017-10-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Hoomi Posted at 2017-10-8 16:38
Sounds good, but I did log out and back in of the DJI Go app, and the limits were still there. Logged out, closed out the app, restarted it, logged back in, and still had the limits. Checked my settings, and Beginner Mode was 'Off,' 'Distance Limit' was 'Off,' battery was fully charged, no alerts popped up on the app, yet, when I reached 30m altitude, it stopped climbing, and the app informed me that altitude limit had been reached. Same with the distance limit.

If this gets much worse, I'm going to expect to get instructions like, "Take 3 sheaves of freshly harvested wheat to a sacred site on the New Moon, face the east, wave the sheaves four times, face the west, wave the sheaves six times, face the south, wave the sheaves twice while chanting, 'Ohwah Taphoo Lyam,' three times in a high falsetto, then face north, eat the wheat, belch loudly, dance the Charleston, and restart the app..."

I would be thoroughly shagged out after that ritual

Take a look at similar threads, it describes how to get around this distance limit, it is not permanent. Or hopefully someone will come on here and explain how it is done.
2017-10-8
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

I've looked at other threads, and tried what was posted. That's what's getting so frustrating about this.

As far as ignoring the warnings and flying as normal? The drone stops at the limits. I can push the control stick to climb all I want, but the drone remains at the 30m altitude, and the same with the distance.
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Are you flying near the NFZ? If not, please try to reinstall the APP and login your DJI Account again.

Also, please restart the App and the aircraft if you changed to another battery.
2017-10-8
Use props
northpaul 3
lvl.1
United States

I get this often but restarting the app always fixes it. It is a pain because I take off, discover that my range is being limited for no reason, have to land, restart the app and then take off and I know that doesn’t sound like much but if I am taking off for a shot then I can miss it with all of that nonsense. I wish they could fix this because it makes no sense and seems to be a software thing that should have been addressed. But at least I am not in the OP’s shoes - I hope you can get it worked out. Does anyone know if this is a problem for all DJI products or just the Phantom 3 like?
2017-10-9
Use props
Jelenafoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9685 ft
Croatia

Hello, I have the very same problem.
Drives me crazy!!
I have Phantom 3 standard since May 2017.
2017-10-11
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I would start by Syncing my flight data, log out of the app, delete, restart my device and then reinstall, then log back in and retest
2017-10-11
Use props
letacica
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9685 ft
Croatia

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-11 09:15
I would start by Syncing my flight data, log out of the app, delete, restart my device and then reinstall, then log back in and retest

OK, hope dies  last
2017-10-11
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, so the next time I get a chance to go out and fly, I'll see if it made any difference.
2017-10-11
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-8 19:56
Are you flying near the NFZ? If not, please try to reinstall the APP and login your DJI Account again.

Also, please restart the App and the aircraft if you changed to another battery.

Not sure how I would change the battery without needing to restart the aircraft. After nearly 40 years of working in electronics calibration and repair, I've found that very few devices continue to operate after removing the power source.
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hoomi Posted at 2017-10-11 18:31
Not sure how I would change the battery without needing to restart the aircraft. After nearly 40 years of working in electronics calibration and repair, I've found that very few devices continue to operate after removing the power source.

I think Susan just wanted to stress that you should also restart the APP.  I would recommend you power the RC and Drone up first, then restart the APP.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Jelenafoto Posted at 2017-10-11 08:52
Hello, I have the very same problem.
Drives me crazy!!
I have Phantom 3 standard since May 2017.

Make sure you've logged into the APP first. I would recommend you follow the steps below to start it: Power the RC up, then the drone, then start the APP.
2017-10-12
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

All these "tips and tricks" are well and good, until you are out flying with no cell service, then find out you still have a 30/50m restriction because you forgot to jump through the last hoop!
2017-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules