Spark lost connection and then disappeared. Spark still lost!
439449 439449 2017-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40971 ft
Germany

Yesterday i started the flight with a full battery and at 50m hight and a distance of 150m the controller lost the signal and the drone dissapearded. i looked at the last known location for 3 hours but the spark is still lost. this happend after the last firmware update last week and i guess it has something to do with it.
I'd like to know why it happend and I would like to get a new spark as a replacement from DJI, because i didn't do anything wrong. it seems that many other spark users had the same issue in the past week ( i found at least 10 posts in other forums about that issue).

The Spark is supposed to return home and land savely, but it did not. Had anybody a similar issues? At the picture you can see the las known position and that there were 17 Satalites and the battery was nearly full. Why did the Spark not return to home like it did any flight before?

Image-1.jpg
2017-10-8
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Was the Spark new and you had to do the firmware update after switching it on the first time? I am asking, because last week there was no firmware update. I recommend you send the flightlog to DJI for analysis. You may also share it with us and have us let a look at it if you wish so.
2017-10-8
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Did you checked the settings after you update firmware, like RTH height and behaviour when RC connection is lost?
Because after a firmware update the settings are reverse to default settings. (RTH height and RC lost behaviour).
2017-10-8
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

I can tell you what happens whey I fly - my phone loses connection with the RC, but the RC is still connected to the Spark. I'm able to fly it back to me, as long as I can see it of course, even though I don't have indications on my phone. That is a GO4 problem, or maybe (most probably) my phone that is too old and weak. The point is that in that case, since the Spark still has connection with the RC, it doesn't return home.
Since there are no error messages on your screenshot at the time of the issue, I suspect that might have been the case.

And that is my next question to you. Were you in line of sight with your drone? were you able to see it and see what happened when the connection problems started? In your screenshot there appears to be a patch of trees between you and the location of your drone, as well as a building near the far end on your drone's trail. Were they obscuring your line of sight to the drone?
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to read your post. Have you contacted the support to report the accident: http://www.dji.com/support? Generally, we will conduct data analysis based on all the information you provided and offered the corresponding solutions according to result. Please kindly offer the case number once you got it, I'd like to follow up for you.
2017-10-9
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft
Malaysia

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-8 23:09
I can tell you what happens whey I fly - my phone loses connection with the RC, but the RC is still connected to the Spark. I'm able to fly it back to me, as long as I can see it of course, even though I don't have indications on my phone. That is a GO4 problem, or maybe (most probably) my phone that is too old and weak. The point is that in that case, since the Spark still has connection with the RC, it doesn't return home.
Since there are no error messages on your screenshot at the time of the issue, I suspect that might have been the case.

If this is the case, then the Spark should had returned to home when battery low (assuming that he didnt touch the controls and the Spark was just hovering there).

Also, OP, did you try the RTH button?
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

Indi91 Posted at 2017-10-9 00:26
If this is the case, then the Spark should had returned to home when battery low (assuming that he didnt touch the controls and the Spark was just hovering there).

I tried the RTH Button, but since the connection was lost the controller could not send the return to home signal to the spark. The spark also did not return to the starting point (which was susessfull set on takeof) and the Spark did also not stay put on the las known position. Thats why i couldn't find it. It looks like a bug in the software which causes the spark to dissapear.  
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-10-8 22:55
Was the Spark new and you had to do the firmware update after switching it on the first time? I am asking, because last week there was no firmware update. I recommend you send the flightlog to DJI for analysis. You may also share it with us and have us let a look at it if you wish so.

goo Idea. If i try to export the flight log on my iphone the app says the log was saved, but i cannot open the log or send it. do you know how to export the log so i can upload it here?
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

Jos A Posted at 2017-10-8 23:08
Did you checked the settings after you update firmware, like RTH height and behaviour when RC connection is lost?
Because after a firmware update the settings are reverse to default settings. (RTH height and RC lost behaviour).

I am not 100 sure about this but i think it was reset to the default settings. can i somehow see the settings during the final flight?
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-8 23:09

I was able until to keep the line of sight because the spark was flying higher than the building and the trees. I lost the sight in the very moment my controller lost the connection to the spark. from this point on i have no idea where the spark went...
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

here you can see that the iphone saved the log file, but how or where can i open or send the file?
Image-1 (1).jpg
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-9 00:05
I'm sorry to read your post. Have you contacted the support to report the accident: http://www.dji.com/support? Generally, we will conduct data analysis based on all the information you provided and offered the corresponding solutions according to result. Please kindly offer the case number once you got it, I'd like to follow up for you.

I just filed a support ticket:

"Your request (780010) has been received and is being reviewed by our technical support representatives. We will contact you soon."
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

Indi91 Posted at 2017-10-9 00:26

yes i tried to activate the home button, but it did not work. thats why i lost my spark :-(
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

I am not sure if these Log files are the right ones, but please take a look at the. I couldn't upload them here, because the website is not allowing to upload these file extensions:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DQRRii3CvAVjJQTmc3N0dLX0U
2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-9 00:05

I also uplaoded all the log files:
"Your request (780080) has been received and is being reviewed by our technical support representatives.
2017-10-9
Use props
stenk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13451 ft
New Zealand

@TripleMaXXX Really hope you get this resolved. Being an absolute newbie with Drones myself this scares me a lot! Just how widespread is this issue?
2017-10-9
Use props
fans993d3697
New

United Kingdom

I keep having a similar thing. I have tried both my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4 to my controller via otg cable. Turn on the app (it does say I need the lasted too firmware) but Ignore that and sur enough it takes off fine. If I'm going slow the feedback of the video footage on my iPad or iPhone is smooth enough if your close but as soon as you like 200 metres it becomes very patchy. During this process (especially if it's in sport mode) I've noticed the whole image flickers black and white then looses gps then comes back on again....before finally loosing gps and then returns to home....were miraculously the video feed will then re-appear. I dint know if this is because I haven't got the latest firmware installed, but I'm pretty it's been doing this since e previous firmware release. I have no pylons or magnetic interfearahce that I know of nearby and there is a red exclamation mark constantly visible on my screen, along with a yellow caution sign saying that I'm flying in a yellow caution area....does this has something to do with it pergaps?? Interestingly despite the feedback and grey n black n white flickering image on my screen, when I have played back the footage on my iPad it' seems perfectly?? Really really not sure what to do here??
2017-10-9
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

TripleMaXXX Posted at 2017-10-9 09:51
I am not sure if these Log files are the right ones, but please take a look at the. I couldn't upload them here, because the website is not allowing to upload these file extensions:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DQRRii3CvAVjJQTmc3N0dLX0U

Ok TripleMaXXX, here come two first read outs of your flightlog only (not the other data). They do not provide any serious error messages or indications of problems at take off time and during the short flight. The only potential problem I can see for the time being is this high rise building called "water tower" behind which you have flown. Just looking at it, it does not seem to be a real water tower but it can be the cause of your connection loss. Nevertheless, this alone would not explain the outcome of your unfortunate flight.
Here is the first read out of your flightlog which suddenly stopped at an early stage of the flight: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CA9983HV7M3Z7T2LSIQD/
And here another read out of your flight data: https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... ENERALNotifications
Again no error messages but a sudden stop of the flightlog without further information. From here I prefer not to speculate but rather have DJI look at all the available data and hopefully find a satisfactory solution for your case. There might be issues with the firmware updates that you had to go through for the Spark itself, the batteries and the remote control. But DJI will certainly be able to provide the answer.
And one last observation. The territory where you have lost your Spark does not look that difficult to search for it. Any progress on that side? Secondly, did your Spark carry the now mandatory metal plate with your contact details? If yes, hopefully somebody will find it soon and contact you if you do not find it before.

2017-10-9
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

stenk Posted at 2017-10-9 11:13
@TripleMaXXX Really hope you get this resolved. Being an absolute newbie with Drones myself this scares me a lot! Just how widespread is this issue?

I have no clue how often this happens, but if you google a bit you'll finde some guys having similar issues.... i really hope DJI will figure this issue out and send me a free replacement because it was defenitly not my fault...
2017-10-10
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-10-9 12:34
Ok TripleMaXXX, here come two first read outs of your flightlog only (not the other data). They do not provide any serious error messages or indications of problems at take off time and during the short flight. The only potential problem I can see for the time being is this high rise building called "water tower" behind which you have flown. Just looking at it, it does not seem to be a real water tower but it can be the cause of your connection loss. Nevertheless, this alone would not explain the outcome of your unfortunate flight.
Here is the first read out of your flightlog which suddenly stopped at an early stage of the flight: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CA9983HV7M3Z7T2LSIQD/
And here another read out of your flight data: https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... ENERALNotifications

i looked for the drone for hours, but were not able to find it. thank you very much for your help. I'll keep you postet, how the support responded...
2017-10-10
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

TripleMaXXX Posted at 2017-10-10 12:05
i looked for the drone for hours, but were not able to find it. thank you very much for your help. I'll keep you postet, how the support responded...

I cross my fingers!
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

TripleMaXXX Posted at 2017-10-9 10:06
I also uplaoded all the log files:
"Your request (780080) has been received and is being reviewed by our technical support representatives.

Well received, thank you! Our colleagues will contact you once the data analysis finished. Appreciate your patience.
2017-10-12
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

it must on the roof of the building or hung up in that large tree, what was the RTH height set ?
the signal must have been shielded by that large building at 3 o'clock
2017-10-12
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry for your loss and hope someone returns it if your name, address and phone # were on it.  Keep us posted on the decision from DJI.
2017-10-12
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Provided your spark at the beginning had recorded homepoint, when you lost radio signal it should have risen to RTH height you set unless your RTH was lower than current height if this was the case then it should have returned at its current height, it’s impossible to say what happened with evidence you have shown here, you could upload your flight log to link below and it will give you more information on what occurred it will also give you last known coordinates which might help you recover your spark.

Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-10-12
Use props
TripleMaXXX
lvl.1
Germany

sadly no guarantee. i think the analysis from DJI is not correct, because i searched the entire area and would have found the spark in case this would be true:

"support7.DE (Support)
10月12日 CST18:51

Guten Tag,

wir haben das Ergebnis der Analyse erhalten.

1. Das Fluggerät wurde im GPS Modus vom Piloten gesteuert.
2. Der Pilot gab 100% Pitch nach vorne und Yaw (drehung) nach links.
3. Die Flugaufzeichnung bricht bei Zeit 1:59 eine Höhe von 49 metern und Entfernung von 127,2 Metern zum Startpunkt ab.
4. Die Spark leitet den Heimflug ein mit einer Rückfluggeschwindigkeit von 10m/s und kann dabei Objekten nicht ausweichen nachdem RTH aktiviert wurde und das Gerät mehr als 100 Meter entfernt ist.
5. Es befindet sich ein großes Hindernis in direkter Linie zum Heimatpunkt welches höher ist als die eingestellte Rückflughöhe. Entsprechend ist das Gerät dann mit dem Hinderniss kollidiert und abgestürzt.

Das Gerät wurde hinter ein großes Hinderniss geflogen und dir eingestellte Rückflughöhe war geringer als die Höhe des Hindernisses.
Wäre die Höhe passend eingestellt worden, oder das Fluggerät nicht hinter das Hinderniss geflogen worden, wäre es nicht zu dem Absturz gekommen.

Schlussfolgerung: Pilotenfehler -> Keine Garantie

Leider kann ich ihnen nur einen Rabatt in Höhe von 15% beim Kauf eines neuen Spark über unseren Webshop anbieten.

Es tut uns leid ihnen keine anderes Ergebnis übermitteln zu können.

Viele Grüße

Best Regards,
Technical Support
DJI GmbH"
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

TripleMaXXX Posted at 2017-10-14 02:08
sadly no guarantee. i think the analysis from DJI is not correct, because i searched the entire area and would have found the spark in case this would be true:

"support7.DE (Support)

Can you translate your reply into English? It will be easier for us to help you. In addition, please provide your case number for us to check more details.
2017-10-14
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

Was there really a building higher than 49m between you and the Spark?
2017-10-14
Use props
kev001
lvl.2
Flight distance : 251778 ft
United Kingdom

would this have been covered with dji refresh?
2017-10-14
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.2

Australia

TripleMaXXX Posted at 2017-10-14 02:08

"support7.DE (Support)

*English translation*

Good day,

we have obtained the result of the analysis.

1. The aircraft was controlled by the pilot in GPS mode.
2. The pilot gave 100% pitch forward and Yaw (turn) to the left.
3. At 1:59, the flight record will drop 49 meters and distance from 127.2 meters to the starting point.
4. The Spark initiates home flight with a return speed of 10m / s and can not avoid objects after RTH has been activated and the device is more than 100 meters away.
5. There is a large obstacle in direct line to the home point which is higher than the set return altitude. Correspondingly, the device then collided with the obstacle and crashed.

The unit was flown behind a big obstacle, and the set return air was less than the height of the obstacle.
If the height had been set appropriately, or if the aircraft had not been flown behind the obstacle, it would not have come to a crash.

Conclusion: Pilot error -> No guarantee

Unfortunately, I can offer you a discount of 15% on the purchase of a new Spark via our webshop.

We are sorry to not send you any other results.

Best regards
2017-10-14
Use props
Texas Tornado
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1697526 ft
United States

I had the same problem happen to me today but a little bit different.  I had the phone connected to the RC by a cable then my screen went blank.  I had to unplug the cable then replug it then I got the video back.  I was beyond the sight of my drone and the trees were in the way so I panicked and pushed the RTH button on the controller but that didn't work either.  Luckily when I got my video back I was able to return the Spark to home.
2017-10-14
Use props
Texas Tornado
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1697526 ft
United States

Texas Tornado Posted at 2017-10-14 14:20
I had the same problem happen to me today but a little bit different.  I had the phone connected to the RC by a cable then my screen went blank.  I had to unplug the cable then replug it then I got the video back.  I was beyond the sight of my drone and the trees were in the way so I panicked and pushed the RTH button on the controller but that didn't work either.  Luckily when I got my video back I was able to return the Spark to home.

My Spark firmware was the latest version.
2017-10-14
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-12 14:31
Provided your spark at the beginning had recorded homepoint, when you lost radio signal it should have risen to RTH height you set unless your RTH was lower than current height if this was the case then it should have returned at its current height, it’s impossible to say what happened with evidence you have shown here, you could upload your flight log to link below and it will give you more information on what occurred it will also give you last known coordinates which might help you recover your spark.

Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post link.

You'll find it at #18
2017-10-14
Use props
Pashi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Sorry for your loss but of course this is pilot's mistake to set RTH altitude less than highest building in the area he gonna fly.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

kev001 Posted at 2017-10-14 07:57
would this have been covered with dji refresh?

No, sorry that DJI Care Refresh will not cover any loss. Please check more details here. refresh.png
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Legacy0ne Posted at 2017-10-14 13:44
*English translation*

Good day,

Thanks for your kind translation, we are waiting for the case number from OP.
2017-10-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It’s pretty easy this one, he lost signal as a result of flying behind very large tower as he was more than 100 metres from home no obstacle avoidance he crashed into tower as it was much higher than his altitude at the time.

Coordinates  53.58554022        9.93842397        that’s where AC is.
2017-10-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-15 05:48
It’s pretty easy this one, he lost signal as a result of flying behind very large tower as he was more than 100 metres from home no obstacle avoidance he crashed into tower as it was much higher than his altitude at the time.

Coordinates  53.58554022        9.93842397        that’s where AC is.

You are top hallmark007! Thanks to you it might still be possible to recover the lost Spark.
2017-10-15
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Legacy0ne Posted at 2017-10-14 13:44
*English translation*

Good day,

From reading this, it sure looks like a pilot error to me.
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules