12Next >
3004 47 2017-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

After getting more comfortable with flight controls, still not fully there yet, I started to try my hand at taking some video.  However, I'm not having very good success, and I'm not sure why.  Unfortunately, and not to my surprise the manual does not help at all in this area.  Also, I'm suffering from the ole I don't know what I don't know.

I'm flying a P4P in P-mode, fully updated with all the latest FW & updates for all devices, it is equiped with a SanDisk Extreme PRO-64GB Micro SD Card, V30 UHS-3

I've been attempting to take 4K video at 30fps (NTSC format) with auto focus and other settings on auto.  When attempting to take the video I get major video stream interruption, lag, and break up all while at close range as well as down range to distances of only 1/4 mile.  When I return home to see the videos I experience severe playback problems with start/stop, stutter, and back & forth.  However, I believe my play back problems may be due to my computer not being able to support 4K playback, as another copy of the video (lower bit rate) seems to play with far less issues.  Therefore, I'm at a complete loss on how to proceed next so I can start taking some great pictures and videos without problems and playback issues.  I have a series of questions to hopefully get some answers and start clearing things up for me.

The higher definition video is in the folder along with the still photos, while the other lower bit rate one is in another folder separate from the photos.  
-Why are there two video recordings on the SD card of the same recording?

The 4K has a 99887kbps rate with a resolution of 3840x2160, and the lower has 7663kbps with a resolution of 1280x720.  My computer is a HD screen supporting 1910x1080 resolution & 60hz refresh with plenty of RAM.  

-I assume my computer cannot display the 4K video, which is why I'm having problems with playback, is this correct?  
-If so, what is the highest video resolution I can record at, that will permit me to view my videos without playback problems?
-If not, is there something I can do to improve playback performance?

-Why am I having problems receiving my video stream during flight?  
-Is it an issue of the mobile device not being able to handle the video resolution and bit rate?  
-Is it interference, and if so what can be done about it?

Keeping in mind I'm new at this, and not a photography expert, I'm looking for good simple techniques for taking video and photos.  I would like to know best settings and procedures for getting good images.  I'm not looking to win awards or hang a shingle to provide photo services, at least for now, but I'd like to maximize my equipment to get the best images possible that will work for me.  Any advice, direction, and guidance would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you!
2017-10-8
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I don’t have the same drone as you but one thing to check is how fast your SD card issuers. I always use sandisk extreme pro, be wary that sometime the speed they list for the card is the read speed and not the write speed.
2017-10-8
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Hi Genghis9,

4K video is a hell of a lot of data to work with, you need good (more expensive) SD cards, and a lot more of them, with 4K video, using 3 batteries and a p4p a 16 GB SD card needs to be changed. In just a few days on Malta, I recorded almost 128 GB video, and in Iceland even more. This means my iPhone and iPad quickly reach their storage limits, and at home, I need storage running into TBs. I use one of the faster professional Macs and that even has its problems with 4K video, makes editing an act of patience and increases the consumption of coffee (whilst waiting) to dangerous levels. At the end of the day, I do not even have a monitor that can fully display 4K video anyway.

I am not a commercial film producer and I doubt very much that my films will appear in the cinema, I recently asked myself why I make my life difficult and film now mostly with 1080 at the highest frame rate (depends on NTSC or PAL). I have made copies of most of my older 4K video to 1080 and boy did the computer run hot. Editing has become a dream and my coffee consumption dropped, my doctor is very pleased. 16 GB of 4K video goes down to about 3 GB after conversion.

Now still photos are another matter the higher the definition the better and it is a point to note that you can make a pretty good photo from a frame taken from a 4K video.

I do hope this reply is not to anarchistic for you.*

*(personal remark to Genghis9).

2017-10-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Genghis,

Well, finally you are diving in.  You will love it!

First, playback of 4K can be an issue related to your software rather than your computer.  If you are using Win 10, the default player handles 4K very well.  Otherwise there are players on the Internet that work very well, but be aware that installing some of them can be a nightmare of adware assaults.  Go slow and disable all extraneous options like, "Install this wonderful driver addition!"  If you can afford it buy the newest PowerDVD software.  PowerDVD has a built in zoom function that allows you to zoom in on the video as it is played.  Very cool!

If your computer is an older model, buy a new gaming computer, $700-$1000 (just the tower).  This will last you a while as you get more experience and you will not have to worry about your system being underpowered.  Well worth the money.  As for an editing program, download BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve 12.5.  It is free and is the best out there.  But it needs a powerful computer to run it (read gaming computer).

As for flying and live view problems, go into the HD option and choose "Custom".  Once in there, choose 5.8 GHz and find (and choose) the shortest bar indicating almost no interference.  Look at the bitrate slider, move it one setting to the left or more as needed (lower the bitrate).  This should clean up your live view. Theses settings are only live view and have nothing to do with what is being recorded.

The two versions of the same video are for viewing playback.  The 720p vesion can be played on almost any computer using the stock video player.  With the 720p version, you will be able to see if you got all the material you needed for your project.  The 4K version is what you need to work with for the final video.  Always copy the 4K video to a separate working folder so you preserve your original video undisturbed.  Even digital videos can degrade by playing and copying them, so after the first copy, do not copy the video again unless you have to.  And that should only be if you really screwed up and did not make a copy to work with or you somehow messed up that copy and on and on.  Most editing programs create a clip out of your working videos so the original copy of the working video is not degraded.  But check it to make sure.  Understand the copying and clip system used by your editing program so original video copies are not lost or degraded.

If your device is more than a year old, look for a newer one.  Since they do not make the nVidia Shield K1 anymore, I recommend the new ASUS ZenPad 10" with the multi processor (1.2 or more GHz each) and 2 or more GB of RAM.  Some on the Forum even recommend a specific processor but I forget the name at the moment.

I am including two pages of an old Forum thread that has really good suggestions on videography and explains the process very well.

Hope this helps!  It should get you started and then you can ask more specific questions.

Aloha and Drone On!
Improve Video.jpg
Improve Video2.jpg
2017-10-9
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-8 22:49
I don’t have the same drone as you but one thing to check is how fast your SD card issuers. I always use sandisk extreme pro, be wary that sometime the speed they list for the card is the read speed and not the write speed.

One further point, as I understand it, the drone streams 720p HD footage back to a smartphone or tablet attached to the remote control, irrespective of the actual filming resolution. This is the same for everyone so it is unlikely that your film resolution settings are responsible for problems you may be having with your video stream.
2017-10-9
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bewdy Genghis9, I am at similar stage too. :Brand new P4P & flies differently to P3P. Was starting to consider video settings so your question is timely.
2017-10-9
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 02:13
Aloha Genghis,

Thanks a lot, nice tips particularly the following: As for flying and live view problems, go into the HD option and choose "Custom".  Once in there, choose 5.8 GHz and find (and choose) the shortest bar indicating almost no interference.  Look at the bitrate slider, move it one setting to the left or more as needed (lower the bitrate).
2017-10-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-9 02:31
Thanks a lot, nice tips particularly the following: As for flying and live view problems, go into the HD option and choose "Custom".  Once in there, choose 5.8 GHz and find (and choose) the shortest bar indicating almost no interference.  Look at the bitrate slider, move it one setting to the left or more as needed (lower the bitrate).

Aloha Dockater,

Good that you find them useful.  Mahalo!  

I had the most amazing flight today across two valleys.  What was amazing about it was that I usually fly with parabolics to improve the signal and today I did not.  I was very happy to see that the stock antennae handled the job without the parabolic assistance and the quality was the best I have had recently.

DJI never ceases to amaze me.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-9
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 02:55
Aloha Dockater,

Despite the amount of negative comments, the dji products also amaze me. I started using “Yun**c” drones, they have great repair and customer service but their drones are not as reliable and do not have the same quality feel as my p4p. My H920 has flown for 6 minutes and has been in repair for 6 months (several times). So far, that adds up to about €45.000 per hour ($58,621.00 US). I can rent an Airbus for that price.

Many problems stem from the complexity of the system, which ultimately serves us in terms of reliability and capability; good tips are always welcome.

2017-10-9
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

Absolutely true what DOCKATER wrote. I came to the same conclusion this week when I got P4P. Big problems with playing 4K video. Huge files to store, edit or convert.
The picture of 4K video on Hi resolution 23' or 25' monitor is really great, but if I'm not going to make the professional video business for the big screens, the 1940 x 1080 is also acceptable. And it goes with much less problems.

Best regards
Andy

Btw - which is the best video player to play 4K video, not to jeopardise the performance of the computer (Win7, 2 x 2.4 CPU, 8GB RAM).     
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-8 22:49

AlanHd
Good point, I did forget to mention that
I use a SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro SD card

Thanks, I will edit initial post
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-9 01:56
Hi Genghis9,
  4K video is a hell of a lot of data to work with, you need good (more expensive) SD cards, and a lot more of them, with 4K video, using 3 batteries and a p4p a 16 GB SD card needs to be changed. In just a few days on Malta, I recorded almost 128 GB video, and in Iceland even more. This means my iPhone and iPad quickly reach their storage limits, and at home, I need storage running into TBs. I use one of the faster professional Macs and that even has its problems with 4K video, makes editing an act of patience and increases the consumption of coffee (whilst waiting) to dangerous levels. At the end of the day, I do not even have a monitor that can fully display 4K video anyway.

Dockater
Yes as you and the previous post reminded me I do believe I have a very good SD card with plenty of memory for now, based on that I don't think the card is my problem.
Yes, I've considered filming in 1080 but did not want to before hearing from the experts and experienced folk here.  Also agree that I want to take the highest res pics possible.

FYI - my filming is in NTSC format...does this make a difference one way or another?

I did update my original posting to reflect this additional info

*Nope, I'd say this is petty tame for you, no mayhem today
Thanks
2017-10-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The one way to improve anything we wish to perfect, is practice. Lots of it... ;-)

You are well on the way to becoming proficient. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Aloha Genghis,

Wow that is a lot to chew on...thanks!

Ref the opening info:
I went back and tried every program I have to playback the 4K vid, some were better than others but all were horrible as far as playback, including my version of Power DVD.  I will consider upgrading Power that is a player (no pun intended).  I think some of the problem is my lousy video taking and some was interference but most is the playback program not handling it or my computer, all combined it is crap.
Can you ID which is the Win 10 default program for video?  If it's Windows Media Player then it does not handle it any better, fyi I have 8 gig of RAM with a dual core processor.

Ah, one vid (low res) is for immediate playback and the other (hi res) is for production/use, ok good to know.

At the moment a new computer is out of the question, I'm drone poor at the moment, having dropped a pretty penny on all my gear and accessories.  I'll have to live with what I got for now.

At present I may be stuck taking 1080 def video until I can either break the code on this stuff or get better hardware.

I will play around with those settings and try them out, grounded at the moment due to wx.

Thanks for the other info too, this is the stuff I was hoping to learn!
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2017-10-9 02:31
Bewdy Genghis9, I am at similar stage too. :Brand new P4P & flies differently to P3P. Was starting to consider video settings so your question is timely.

Glad I could help, I think
Strap in and hang on, this is just getting started, I'm already in info overload
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 02:55
Aloha Dockater,

Cetacean,
Do you think...could you take a short vid (or use one you have) and upload it here?  Then tell us what settings you used to record it and how.  
An example might be useful.
Thanks
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

andy10 Posted at 2017-10-9 05:44
Absolutely true what DOCKATER wrote. I came to the same conclusion this week when I got P4P. Big problems with playing 4K video. Huge files to store, edit or convert.
The picture of 4K video on Hi resolution 23' or 25' monitor is really great, but if I'm not going to make the professional video business for the big screens, the 1940 x 1080 is also acceptable. And it goes with much less problems.

Andy
Agree and I'm thinking I'll have no choice but to do the same for now.

Yes I'd like to have the same questioned answered too...
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-9 09:38
The one way to improve anything we wish to perfect, is practice. Lots of it... ;-)

You are well on the way to becoming proficient. Haha

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
I'm on a journey...
2017-10-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 10:33
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
I'm on a journey...

It's not my confidence that matters, but that you continue to enjoy the learning curve, as you progress in the wonderful exploration of your new found love. Keep it heart felt. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-10-9
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

I film in 4K but I never try and watch the raw footage because playback is painful so using Premiere Pro I save out a lower rez version of each clip for previewing.  This is easy to do and doesen't take long, once I have the 1080p version's I can watch it without any worry of lag and then begin picking out which clips I want in my edits.
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Floreto Posted at 2017-10-9 11:55
I film in 4K but I never try and watch the raw footage because playback is painful so using Premiere Pro I save out a lower rez version of each clip for previewing.  This is easy to do and doesen't take long, once I have the 1080p version's I can watch it without any worry of lag and then begin picking out which clips I want in my edits.

Please explain further?
Provide more details about your process please.
Premiere Pro 1 what kind of SW package is it?

Thanks for the input!
2017-10-9
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 08:50
Dockater
Yes as you and the previous post reminded me I do believe I have a very good SD card with plenty of memory for now, based on that I don't think the card is my problem.
Yes, I've considered filming in 1080 but did not want to before hearing from the experts and experienced folk here.  Also agree that I want to take the highest res pics possible.

NTSC v PAL

The National Television Standards Committee sets the analog television standard for the United States; this format itself is also informally called "NTSC". While a standard for the United States, it has been adopted in other countries as well, for example Japan. PAL, short for Phase Alternating Line, is the analogue video format used in television transmission in most of Europe. NTSC is often referred to as “Never The Same Colour” and PAL as “Perfect At Last”, unfortunately this is far from the truth.

Primarily both systems had different ways of dealing with the generation of colours in an analog world for analog TVs. Now in todays digital world it does not make a lot of difference. You can convert one to another easily and  covert both to formats for computers, digital TVs, internet, youTube etc. With regard to video recording it is however of note that NTSC uses 60 frames per second and PAL 50, or multiples/divisions of these.

I personally use NTSC, you have better tolerance if you want to slow down the film. With the p4p in resolutions lower than 4K you can also record with 120 FPS which slows down real cool. You can turn off the rotors at 500 feet, film the fall and then slow it down so the drone isn’t damaged on ground contact.

I also had an issue with my iPad and PAL, I didn’t look for a solution I just used NTSC. Which is probably your best choice, unless of course you want to use that huge 120 kg colour TV your dad bought back in the 60s. Make sure your editing software is compatible.

Have a good trip.
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-9 12:46
NTSC v PAL

The National Television Standards Committee sets the analog television standard for the United States; this format itself is also informally called "NTSC". While a standard for the United States, it has been adopted in other countries as well, for example Japan. PAL, short for Phase Alternating Line, is the analogue video format used in television transmission in most of Europe. NTSC is often referred to as “Never The Same Colour” and PAL as “Perfect At Last”, unfortunately this is far from the truth.

Excellent and thanks!
2017-10-9
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 11:58
Please explain further?
Provide more details about your process please.
Premiere Pro 1 what kind of SW package is it?

The process used by Floreto is to film in 4K and then use a video editing software to make lower resolution copies. The copies can be used for a more efficient workflow and planning. The final cut can either be made using the lower resolution or it is much easier to use the original 4K videos when you know which clips you want to use.

Premier Pro is a professional video editing software from Adobe. Adobe has introduced a rental system for its current Professional products which means it is expensive for us amateurs. The latest Premier Pro costs about €30 per month in Germany.

Adobe Premier Elements is a video editing software from Adobe for the consumer market. It is a scaled down version of Premier Pro and tailored to non professionals. It is still an excellent software and has a more appropriate learning curve than the Pro version. Check it out in the US, it costs around €100 in Germany, and I think its good value.

There are a heap of other programs for video editing, many of them free. Mac has one built in, iMovie but check out the following Wikipedia link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software

2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-9 13:46
The process used by Floreto is to film in 4K and then use a video editing software to make lower resolution copies. The copies can be used for a more efficient workflow and planning. The final cut can either be made using the lower resolution or it is much easier to use the original 4K videos when you know which clips you want to use.

Premier Pro is a professional video editing software from Adobe. Adobe has introduced a rental system for its current Professional products which means it is expensive for us amateurs. The latest Premier Pro costs about €30 per month in Germany.

You are full of useful info...for an anarchist
2017-10-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 10:11
Wow that is a lot to chew on...thanks!

Ref the opening info:

Aloha Genghis,

Oh yeah, Windows Media Player will not even open 4K up on my computer.  The default one is "Movies and TV".  That is the name as far as I can tell.  It is in Win 10.  Geebax and Labroides know some fairly safe ones available free on the Internet.   Yes, PowerDVD has to be version 15 or better, if it is out.  My old ones do not handle the 4K's higher bitrate very well.  But once I find a good shot, I open the video in PowerDVD and use the zoom function.  The playback is jerky, but you can see what you want to see way better than 720p.  Most PowerDVD versions will play the 720p videos real well though and you can use the zoom function on the 720p videos, but the quality sucks.  But, hey, it is just a preview!

Have fun!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 10:21
Cetacean,
Do you think...could you take a short vid (or use one you have) and upload it here?  Then tell us what settings you used to record it and how.  
An example might be useful.

Aloha Genghis,

What I post on the Internet has mostly been 1080p.  But here is a link to one I uploaded in 4K and kept the 4K bitrates as allowed by my editor programs (I use more than one on each video).  Not all editing programs will save in 4K.  Windows MovieMaker defaults to 720p unless thay have improved it with the security upgrade.  I prefer BlackMagic's DaVinci Resolve, but use the highest settings I can (including bitrate) when saving my work.  It has no audio which is why I have not posted it here.  Waiting for a good song I have in mind.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The issue of PAL or NTSC is a red herring, it has no relevance to HD or UHD recordings. Those standards only apply to standard definition analogue television broadcasting, not to file recording in high definition or ultra-high definition. I have no idea why DJI chose to put a switch choice in the menu between the two, because it does absolutely nothing, seeing as the DJI aircraft cannot record in standard definition anyway.

To Genghis9, your Sandisk SD card is plenty fast enough for the job, but it is possible your phone or tablet is not. The process of recording begins with the camera recording to the SD card in the aircraft. The reason for the two copies is that the high resolution copy is for use in editing the material, while the second, low resolution, copy is a 'proxy' that is used in many high-end editing applications. The files recorded to the card will also be free of any glitches, but the camera also produces a second feed at lower resolution, that is fed back via the radio link to your RC unit.

It is that feed which you view and see the breakup, and other problems, while the copy on the SD card will be just fine.

By the sounds of it, you computer is too old and slow for editing 4K. But this is not unusual, the majority of computers cannot handle 4K, it requires a computer with 6 cores or more and a dedicated Graphics board to do so, plus solid state drives and plenty of storage space. Try downloading a copy of VLC Player (free), and if that cannot playback your 4K files, then your computer is simply not up to the job.

If you have blown your budget for the time being, then choosing to shoot in 1080p is probably the best option.
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 15:02
Aloha Genghis,

Oh yeah, Windows Media Player will not even open 4K up on my computer.  The default one is "Movies and TV".  That is the name as far as I can tell.  It is in Win 10.  Geebax and Labroides know some fairly safe ones available free on the Internet.   Yes, PowerDVD has to be version 15 or better, if it is out.  My old ones do not handle the 4K's higher bitrate very well.  But once I find a good shot, I open the video in PowerDVD and use the zoom function.  The playback is jerky, but you can see what you want to see way better than 720p.  Most PowerDVD versions will play the 720p videos real well though and you can use the zoom function on the 720p videos, but the quality sucks.  But, hey, it is just a preview!

OK very good, I have my work cut out for me as of now...

However, let me review a couple of thoughts.  
-First, exactly who and what plays 4K vid really well?  
--I guess the cinema, a new high end gaming system, and those new 4K TVs; meaning most of us schmucks still caught back 5 to 10 years ago are left with 1080p for now, correct?

Also I have to laugh, 720p is poor quality, I've become my father or worse grandfather, as I remember basic VHS tape and before that real to real photo film NOW that was sucko quality
Yes I know it is about perspective...
So, I can do a few things that will help but basically unless I go to Best Buy I'm not going to get to see 4K in my own home for a bit more time.  
Should I record at 1080 or can I go higher before loosing quality playback, obviously 4K is out for now?

Thanks much for your time!
2017-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Aloha Genghis,

'As for an editing program, download BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve 12.5.  It is free and is the best out there.  But it needs a powerful computer to run it (read gaming computer).'

Actually, the revision is now up to Resolve 14, it has emerged from Beta. I actually coughed up the money last week and bought Resolve Studio 14, it is running extremely well on my editing computer, and I felt that having used the free versions right from the beginning, I needed to pay my way by buying it.  It is as cheap as dirt now anyway, about US$275.00

But if you want to run 4K on Resolve, you will need to have a 3 Ghz processor in your computer with 6 cores at least, a high-end GPU card, SSD drives and about 16GB of RAM. The RAM amouint is not that critical, but video processing performance is.
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 15:11
Aloha Genghis,

What I post on the Internet has mostly been 1080p.  But here is a link to one I uploaded in 4K and kept the 4K bitrates as allowed by my editor programs (I use more than one on each video).  Not all editing programs will save in 4K.  Windows MovieMaker defaults to 720p unless thay have improved it with the security upgrade.  I prefer BlackMagic's DaVinci Resolve, but use the highest settings I can (including bitrate) when saving my work.  It has no audio which is why I have not posted it here.  Waiting for a good song I have in mind.

Very nice and excellent platform control...
So, first I could only watch it in 1080 go figure, but details were amazing as they should be.

This was 4K
Frame Rate?
Shutter Speed?
ND Filter (looks like none)?
Other settings?

Thanks!
2017-10-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 15:13
OK very good, I have my work cut out for me as of now...

However, let me review a couple of thoughts.  

Aloha Genghis,

There is also 2K.  It is not as demanding as 4K but there are other points to consider.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-9 15:12
The issue of PAL or NTSC is a red herring, it has no relevance to HD or UHD recordings. Those standards only apply to standard definition analogue television broadcasting, not to file recording in high definition or ultra-high definition. I have no idea why DJI chose to put a switch choice in the menu between the two, because it does absolutely nothing, seeing as the DJI aircraft cannot record in standard definition anyway.

To Genghis9, your Sandisk SD card is plenty fast enough for the job, but it is possible your phone or tablet is not. The process of recording begins with the camera recording to the SD card in the aircraft. The reason for the two copies is that the high resolution copy is for use in editing the material, while the second, low resolution, copy is a 'proxy' that is used in many high-end editing applications. The files recorded to the card will also be free of any glitches, but the camera also produces a second feed at lower resolution, that is fed back via the radio link to your RC unit.

Geebax,
I hear ya!  I've come to the conclusion that 1080 is my thing for now.  Understand file format is nice to know but not a factor.  
Yes my tablet may be challenged in catching the video.
However, what's with the interference in the video stream?  Is it other radio traffic, cell phone, using the wrong channel, wrong GHz setting...is there something that can be done as far as settings, other than what Cetacean said already?
I will try those players.
Thanks for your wisdom and info!
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-9 15:19
'As for an editing program, download BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve 12.5.  It is free and is the best out there.  But it needs a powerful computer to run it (read gaming computer).'

Actually, the revision is now up to Resolve 14, it has emerged from Beta. I actually coughed up the money last week and bought Resolve Studio 14, it is running extremely well on my editing computer, and I felt that having used the free versions right from the beginning, I needed to pay my way by buying it.  It is as cheap as dirt now anyway, about US$275.00

Well ya had me all the way up to 6 cores...I'm nearly there now but well short on the cores and RAM.
I'll have to accept my place in this endeavor for now.  Besides 1080 is not that horrible, and I have to start learning somewhere.

I do need to get a better editing software, so I'll look at these.  I've been using Windows MovieMaker but it is no longer supported and the GoPro Studio.

Thanks for your help!
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 15:38
Aloha Genghis,

There is also 2K.  It is not as demanding as 4K but there are other points to consider.

Yes, I'll try 2K
Please explain, what other points, sorry not trying to be thick here
2017-10-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 15:37
Very nice and excellent platform control...
So, first I could only watch it in 1080 go figure, but details were amazing as they should be.

Aloha Genghis,

There are tricks to watching high rez videos on YouTube.  I try to watch 14400 at a minimum for the crispness, but the streaming is terrible since we have terrible Internet way back in the valleys and ridges here.  So if the Internet is slow that day, I do something non-Internet related while it downloads the stream.  Then when enough of it has streamed, I start watching hoping to make it all the way through before the video catches up to the streaming.

When I record, I always try to use 4K, 4:3 ratio.  Because I like smoothness, and my favorite videographers on this Forum know who they are (because I always tell them so!) make smooth videos, I rarely video in less than a 30 Frames Per Ssecond.  The human eye flicker rate is 25 frames per second, so the extra frames help to communicate a smooth video.  

If we are going to have such crisp frames, speeding through a rotation is an injustice to our cameras and the technlogy we use.  The audience should be able to see what we are showing in our videos in all its crispness and detail.  To do otherwise is not considerate to the audience.  That may be an extreme statement, but I get frustrated when I see a real nice scene and it is ruined by a rotation that is too fast and is jerky as a result.  No need for that, slow down the rotation.

I bought some ND4 filters a few months ago so I could deal with the bright sun when it happens.  Now I set my ISO to 100 or 200 if needed.  I keep my EV close to zero.  The shutter speed takes care of itself.  I rarely mess with shutter speed and basically eyeball it.  We have constant cloud influences here, so getting the brightness right is not easy.  Even on an overcast day, brightness depends on if you are facing the sun or facing away from the sun and the sun direction is hard to detect!  If there is an influence, dark is you are facing away from where the sun is and it is behind the clouds!  And if the influence is bright, you are facing the sun hiding behind the clouds!  Until one rotation, you do not always know what you are dealing with.

Other settings!?!  I can barely remember these!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 15:51
Geebax,
I hear ya!  I've come to the conclusion that 1080 is my thing for now.  Understand file format is nice to know but not a factor.  
Yes my tablet may be challenged in catching the video.

While you are learning, 1080p is fine. Later on, if you decide you want to do video more seriously, you can push up to 4K and waste money on a fantastic editing computer

The interference can be caused by many things, but the tablet is possibly the main cause, also not quite up to the speed of transmission. One thing to do is switch off caching of the video file to the tablet, that should free up some resources.
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-9 16:15
Aloha Genghis,

There are tricks to watching high rez videos on YouTube.  I try to watch 14400 at a minimum for the crispness, but the streaming is terrible since we have terrible Internet way back in the valleys and ridges here.  So if the Internet is slow that day, I do something non-Internet related while it downloads the stream.  Then when enough of it has streamed, I start watching hoping to make it all the way through before the video catches up to the streaming.

OK thanks for humoring me, but I prefer some reference points to work from and this does help me anyway.

As always thanks for the help!
2017-10-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-9 16:16
While you are learning, 1080p is fine. Later on, if you decide you want to do video more seriously, you can push up to 4K and waste money on a fantastic editing computer

The interference can be caused by many things, but the tablet is possibly the main cause, also not quite up to the speed of transmission. One thing to do is switch off caching of the video file to the tablet, that should free up some resources.

Ah, didn't realize caching could cause problems...I'll do that next, I have some experimenting to do.

Yeah, trying to figure out how to tell the wife I need a new computer...I don't see that argument winning anytime soon.
2017-10-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-9 16:23
OK thanks for humoring me, but I prefer some reference points to work from and this does help me anyway.

As always thanks for the help!

One suggestion for your problem with the live video feed might be to relink RC to Aircraft. Will take a minute and might be a quick fix.

Which display device are you using ?

Edit:- and the 4k format is just not supported by slightly older hardware, even if it is fast. I had a pair of Nvidia GTX 480 video cards paired together, very very fast, but no 4k output :-(
2017-10-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules