Bottom sensor and obstacle avoidance error
3729 22 2017-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans336af287
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176535 ft
United States

I'm getting a bottom positioning sensor error and obsitical avoidance error on my Phantom 4.  I've had this P4 for nearly a year now and have not experienced any problems with this unit until my last firmware update.  Now I'm getting the sensor errors when I beging flight.  I have reinstalled the firmware, updated the remote and performed the sensor calbration process with the DJI assistant 2 with no luck.  I am assuming this is a firmware glitch since everything was fine until I did the update and I have noticed other users with similar problems.  I can continue to fly and get my jobs done but I lose some features such as the object tracking and tap fly.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

Thanks
Jim

2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, have you finished the Vision Positioning System calibrating? Succeeded or failed? If it failed, is there an error code? Please help to confirm this.
2017-10-9
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-9 05:44
Just to verify, have you finished the Vision Positioning System calibrating? Succeeded or failed? If it failed, is there an error code? Please help to confirm this.

I don’t recall seeing an error code. It just tells me to recalibrate and vision positioning not available. I recalibrate with no success. Here’s an odd one. I can reflash the firmware and it’s fine when I fly after that. The next day when I fly I get the error again and back to square one.
2017-10-9
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-9 09:50
I don’t recall seeing an error code. It just tells me to recalibrate and vision positioning not available. I recalibrate with no success. Here’s an odd one. I can reflash the firmware and it’s fine when I fly after that. The next day when I fly I get the error again and back to square one.

Correction to my last post. The calibration says it is successful. The problem just keeps returning. Luckily I don’t necessarily need those functions to do my job but it would be nice corrected.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-9 10:03
Correction to my last post. The calibration says it is successful. The problem just keeps returning. Luckily I don’t necessarily need those functions to do my job but it would be nice corrected.

Please check if all your firmwares are up to date. If it persists when the drone is in the latest version, check if there are any specks of dirt on the sensor, send it back if necessary.
2017-10-9
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-9 20:36
Please check if all your firmwares are up to date. If it persists when the drone is in the latest version, check if there are any specks of dirt on the sensor, send it back if necessary.

The app reports unknown version for the aircraft.  I have refreshed the firmware several times.

RC 1.9.3
App 4.1.12
AC unknown version
2017-10-10
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-10 15:00
The app reports unknown version for the aircraft.  I have refreshed the firmware several times.

RC 1.9.3

It reports now 2.00.0106. It was giving me an unknown version for a while.
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-10 15:26
It reports now 2.00.0106. It was giving me an unknown version for a while.

Unknown means the improper connection between the drone and RC. All are on the latest version, if the issue persists, I advise sending it back for an overall check and we will see what happened. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

2017-10-11
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-11 06:15
Unknown means the improper connection between the drone and RC. All are on the latest version, if the issue persists, I advise sending it back for an overall check and we will see what happened. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

This is what I have been able to repeat FYI.  After a firmware update the light on the side of the AC is steady green.  All sensors work properly.  I can immediately disconnect, install props and take it out for flight and flight is successful with no errors whatsoever.  I can shut the ac down for a bit like an hour or so and restart and the errors return with the green light flashing red green on the side of the AC.  I'm wondering if the AC is not shutting down properly and possibly corrupting the firmware some way.  I can once again reload the firmware and everything is fine until I shut it down for an hour or so and once again the errors occur.   This one honestly has me baffled. I'm in the process of purchasing a different drone today so I can complete a job tomorrow.  Once I get my job finished tomorrow I will either send in the phantom for repair or I may wait and see if DJI releases a new firmware and see if that solves the problem first since I will have the new drone for my work.
2017-10-11
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-11 08:19
This is what I have been able to repeat FYI.  After a firmware update the light on the side of the AC is steady green.  All sensors work properly.  I can immediately disconnect, install props and take it out for flight and flight is successful with no errors whatsoever.  I can shut the ac down for a bit like an hour or so and restart and the errors return with the green light flashing red green on the side of the AC.  I'm wondering if the AC is not shutting down properly and possibly corrupting the firmware some way.  I can once again reload the firmware and everything is fine until I shut it down for an hour or so and once again the errors occur.   This one honestly has me baffled. I'm in the process of purchasing a different drone today so I can complete a job tomorrow.  Once I get my job finished tomorrow I will either send in the phantom for repair or I may wait and see if DJI releases a new firmware and see if that solves the problem first since I will have the new drone for my work.

So I did some test and determined that if do a firmware upgrade on the P4 its initially successful.  I can reboot the AC numerous times after the update and it is fine.  I i turn it off and leave it off for about a half our then reboot I get a downward vision and forward vision sensor error.  No error code whatsoever.  I can recalibrate the vision sensors to no avail.  I just don't get this.  I've been in the IT field for a long time and done numerous firmware upgrades on much more sophisticated devices but this has got me.  All software is current,  Running iOS 11, running the most current assistant 2 on a MacBook pro.  Even tried it on a dell workstation at work.  I don't want to accept that there may be something electronically wrong with it because it was perfectly fine until this last firmware upgrade.  I did purchase a Mavic Pro today so I could complete a job that I didn't want to turn down and I did a firmware upgrade on it after the job and have tested it several time with no problems.
2017-10-12
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-11 06:15

From what I understand there is a beta firmware for the p4.  Any way I could get it and hopefully it will solve my catastrophic problems anyway.  As of right now its really unusable anyway..lol

Thanks
Jim

2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-12 15:20
From what I understand there is a beta firmware for the p4.  Any way I could get it and hopefully it will solve my catastrophic problems anyway.  As of right now its really unusable anyway..lol

Thanks

Hi Jim, I really understand your frustration for this case, but if the error message pops up over and over again, it would be better if you would send it in for the stability of flight. And the beta is not for solving the sensor problem, sorry.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-12 15:20

Thanks

Jim, I have received your message in PM, thanks. As Thor mentioned, the latest beta firmware only fix the camera issue and wobble issue. Just to verify, the drone has not been crashed and the error only appears after the firmware update, right? I would recommend you to post the screenshot of error message here for better assistance.

Generally, firmware upgrade will not cause hardware issue. However, the hardware issue can be detected if it has been damaged before, please kindly note.
2017-10-18
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-18 00:09
Jim, I have received your message in PM, thanks. As Thor mentioned, the latest beta firmware only fix the camera issue and wobble issue. Just to verify, the drone has not been crashed and the error only appears after the firmware update, right? I would recommend you to post the screenshot of error message here for better assistance.

Generally, firmware upgrade will not cause hardware issue. However, the hardware issue can be detected if it has been damaged before, please kindly note.

Ok Thanks.. No the drone has never been crashed.  I did however did 3 flights yesterday and the first one all the errors were there on start up from obstacle avoidance, downward sensors failure and imu re calibration to aggressive flying but went away about half way thru the first battery.  Flew thru 2 more batteries with no errors what so ever.  Sorry for being so persistent.  I was just putting pieces of the puzzle together since the AC was perfect until the last firmware update so it just made sense to me that it was the update.  
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jim 100 Posted at 2017-10-18 05:25
Ok Thanks.. No the drone has never been crashed.  I did however did 3 flights yesterday and the first one all the errors were there on start up from obstacle avoidance, downward sensors failure and imu re calibration to aggressive flying but went away about half way thru the first battery.  Flew thru 2 more batteries with no errors what so ever.  Sorry for being so persistent.  I was just putting pieces of the puzzle together since the AC was perfect until the last firmware update so it just made sense to me that it was the update.

Noted with thanks! I'll try to help you get the beta firmware to check again. If no helps, then you can consider Thor's suggestion later.
2017-10-18
Use props
P4Mano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33990 ft
Spain

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-18 23:20
Noted with thanks! I'll try to help you get the beta firmware to check again. If no helps, then you can consider Thor's suggestion later.

Hello Susan
since you are going to send the latest beta firmware to JIM
Can you also send it to me?
I do not know why but I can not send you a PM
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

P4Mano Posted at 2017-10-19 00:05
Hello Susan
since you are going to send the latest beta firmware to JIM
Can you also send it to me?

What's the main issue of your P4? I have PMed you, please check whether you have received it. Please reply me directly with your DJI account, thanks!
2017-10-19
Use props
P4Mano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33990 ft
Spain

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-19 01:46
What's the main issue of your P4? I have PMed you, please check whether you have received it. Please reply me directly with your DJI account, thanks!

mainly wobble issue
I just answered your PM.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

P4Mano Posted at 2017-10-19 02:33
mainly wobble issue
I just answered your PM.

You have been added in the beta list. If there is any further questions, feel free to contact us.
2017-10-24
Use props
Jim 100
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-24 00:37
You have been added in the beta list. If there is any further questions, feel free to contact us.

I just flashed .700 to my P4.  This seems to have solved many problems I had except for the downward and obstacle sensor error upon startup. I did some test. I narrowed it down to if I power up the p4 after its been off for some time and let it run down a few percentage say 99% to about 97% of the battery or about 5 min or so then turn it off and restart no errors whatsoever. It functions just fine and it does as well with the other two batteries. Only once it sets off for a while I have to wait a few min after initial star up and restart it’s fine again. I don’t know if this helps but it’s consistent.  
2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jim 100 Posted at 2018-1-16 17:05
I just flashed .700 to my P4.  This seems to have solved many problems I had except for the downward and obstacle sensor error upon startup. I did some test. I narrowed it down to if I power up the p4 after its been off for some time and let it run down a few percentage say 99% to about 97% of the battery or about 5 min or so then turn it off and restart no errors whatsoever. It functions just fine and it does as well with the other two batteries. Only once it sets off for a while I have to wait a few min after initial star up and restart it’s fine again. I don’t know if this helps but it’s consistent.

Jim, the 700 is still a closed beta. Please reply the email you received directly, the designated team will take care of this. Appreciate your cooperation.
2018-1-18
Use props
Kendiver
New
Flight distance : 1447 ft

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-9 05:44

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem. I purchased my P4 from DJI about a year ago. No problems until now. Updated to latest firmware and now continue to get bottom vision sensor error. I have recalibrated several times. After calibration, the computer says it was successful. Is there a fix?
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Kendiver Posted at 2018-7-16 08:57
Hello, I am experiencing the same problem. I purchased my P4 from DJI about a year ago. No problems until now. Updated to latest firmware and now continue to get bottom vision sensor error. I have recalibrated several times. After calibration, the computer says it was successful. Is there a fix?

Hi Kendiver, I am sorry for the delay. Could you please provide me with the screenshot of the error message and the firmware info? You can check the firmware info by this route: power on the drone, RC, app and enter device---upper right icon---general----about. I would like to have a further confirmation. Thank you.
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules