Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro sun/flare braking avoidance error
2339 13 2017-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown quite a lot encountered sun flares and relections off water.

However, today the Mavic Pro was constantly self-braking whenever I flew into the direct sunlight.

It would abruptly brake with beeping and a 4th obstacle avoidence error message on the screen.

Anyone else experience something similar?

2017-10-9
Use props
S4-Ducati
lvl.1
Flight distance : 107388 ft
United States

I had this same issue occur several times this weekend.
2017-10-9
Use props
Rooivalk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8613842 ft
South Africa

S4-Ducati Posted at 2017-10-9 21:36
I had this same issue occur several times this weekend.

Had a similar experience in May-June 2017 in the southern hemisphere South Africa  (about 70 km from southern tip of Africa - Cape Agulhas), think it has something to do with the angle of the sun. I used sport mode when flying into the sun to solve issue.
2017-10-9
Use props
Rooivalk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8613842 ft
South Africa

Had a similar experience in May-June 2017 in the southern hemisphere South Africa  (about 70 km from southern tip of Africa - Cape Agulhas), think it has something to do with the angle of the sun and obstacle avoidance causing a "false alarm". I used sport mode when flying into the sun to solve issue. Has improved as summer is approaching now.
2017-10-9
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Rooivalk Posted at 2017-10-9 22:06
Had a similar experience in May-June 2017 in the southern hemisphere South Africa  (about 70 km from southern tip of Africa - Cape Agulhas), think it has something to do with the angle of the sun and obstacle avoidance causing a "false alarm". I used sport mode when flying into the sun to solve issue. Has improved as summer is approaching now.

You can just turn the sensors off too. Speed is limited to 50 kph and is abit more stable than Sport mode.
2017-10-9
Use props
Locoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

all the time when flying directly into the sun. I think this issue is mentioned in the manual, or else I reading on the forum sites.
2017-10-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Anyone else experience something similar?

As Locoman mentioned, it's a problem with all Mavics and is triggered when the forward sensor detects any relatively bright source of light, most commonly the sun, but it can even happen when flying at nighttime.
2017-10-10
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Yes, this is normal behaviour with the sun low over the horizon. The bright light overexposes the sensor cameras and results in them treating that as an "obstacle". When flying into the Sun, turn off obstacle avoidance.
2017-10-10
Use props
HyLenz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I get this a lot, pretty common on bright sunny days. Most times i spin her around and fly backwards if i am up high enough. Maybe DJI can release a "Summertime" version of a Mavic where the sensors are not affected by sunlight, and the iPad is not affected by >85F temps (CPU Overload issue)...
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

This is quite normal, when the drone is facing directly to the strong light, it would tigger obstacle advoidance mistakenly. So you might need to advoid flying straight to the sunlight, or you can switch off the OA system, but need to be careful.
2017-10-10
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

S4-Ducati Posted at 2017-10-9 21:53
Sorry about the multiple replies..

No problem, because the braking error happened multiple times this weekend...
2017-10-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this happen to me as well, once or twice, as I was coming over the top of the trees it came to a sudden stop. Sun glare
2017-10-10
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Maybe the next versions sensors will be better ;)
2017-10-10
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
First Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

I've encountered this problem yesterday during sunset. The Mavic was high in the sky and wouldn't move in any forward facing direction (moving 1 meter and then full brakes ON with message " " " " Obstacle avoided""" ) until I switched to sport mode. In my case it was more of a lower light situation.
2017-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules