Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
mavic pro raw files cant capture ultra white?
794 6 2017-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andry_shin
lvl.1
Indonesia

hi, is mavic pro raw files can capture super white? i setting to jpg + raw files with dlog format.. any tips n trick how to get good average value images?
i put on screenshot, i try to edit the images in lightroom / davinci but the super white was already clipped (DNG files, @DNG files size was 17mb)

raw.JPG
2017-10-10
Use props
Bill Drones
Second Officer
United States

Hello,
Two things I would recommend:
1. Manually set your shutter speed higher (faster). Not sure if you were in auto mode, but this will help not blow out the whites as much.
2. Use an ND filter. for that shot, I would probably use an ND16. But you can experiment with different intensities of filters.
2017-10-10
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.1
Indonesia

isnt if we set faster shutter speed the ground area will be dark? but anyway is it possible to capture super white?
2017-10-10
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

Mavic dont have high dynamic range, thats what you get with this camera, do 2 or 3 exposures and combine them in Lightroom, the Mavic is pretty stabile in the air so i will work, just be quick. Then align all exposures.
2017-10-10
Use props
Bill Drones
Second Officer
United States

andry_shin Posted at 2017-10-10 09:46
isnt if we set faster shutter speed the ground area will be dark? but anyway is it possible to capture super white?

Yes, that is correct. The non-bright areas will be darker, along with the overexposed area of the sky you are concerned about. The only way to get the ground lighter than the sky, without overexposing the sky, is to use a graduated filter, which I'm not sure they even make for the Mavic.

So, to again answer your question, yes, it is possible to capture "super white" as you call it, but you will need to either use a faster shutter speed or ND/graduated filters.
2017-10-10
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.1
Indonesia

ok thanks for input
2017-10-12
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

D-log will make no difference - or shouldn't.  Its RAW.
Contrary to what someone posted above, an ND filter makes absolutely no difference to the range either.  People don't understand NDs.  An NDs only purpose is to enable a slow shutter speed for video.  We're talking stills here so completely unrelated.  They have no effect on dynamic range.

The problem you have is the mavic has a very basic camera and its dynamic range is fairly awful.  It simply isnt capable of recording the range of brightness values in the scene.  Your only work around is to take several bracketed shots and combine them in post production. Or use the drones HDR mode.  The mavic does 5 and 7 shot AEB with a fixed 2/3 stop increment.  Id suggest trying AEB7 and merging the ones needed (not all 7) in lightroom or PS.  Ive not really used the inbuilt HDR function but thats your other option.

2017-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules