Any DJI Manufacturers Training in Australia?
3171 17 2015-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
southerndoug
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3010495 ft
Australia

Are there any Australian commercial users of the Inspire 1 out there who know of, or are offering, Manufacturers Training (as required by CASA) for the issue of Controllers Certification? There seems to be several training companies offering certification for multirotor <7kg, but I am not sure that this will cover RTF airframes like the DJI products. One company has told me it does, another says it will not. CASA does not answer the phone. Or respond to emails. Not yet anyway...

Anyone out there using their Inspire for $$ in AUS? You must have it on your UOC, right? Do you offer Internal Type Training? I've recently purchased an I1, and am now wondering if I've done a very silly and expensive thing...

Appreciate any help, or pointers in the right direction....
2015-4-7
Use props
tmenzies86.hotm
lvl.1

Australia

I'm doing mine with Wicked Copters over the weekend (enquiries@wickedcopters.com.au). They seem like a good bunch of guys. They are based in Brisbane. RPAS is another company, based all over the place. Just google search and a few will come up. I can give you the manufacturers assessment to have a look at too if you like.
2015-4-7
Use props
Baldrick
lvl.1

Australia

Hi Southerndoug

Are you intending to use for commercial use? In that case you will need a Operators Certificate as well as the UAV controllers certificate unless you can find a company with a UOC to fly with & do business through. (UOC = commercial aviation company. Controllers Cert = commercial pilot).  I went through RPAS, expensive but much less of a head f* than doing DIY PPL route.
2015-4-8
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

tmenzies86.hotm Posted at 2015-4-8 15:26
I'm doing mine with Wicked Copters over the weekend (). They seem like a good bunch of guys. They ar ...

Thanks for the reply. Have wicked told you you will have your I1 on your ticket, or will you be being assessed on an airframe that they have manufactured? As you need 5 hours on the type you will be flying, can they assess you on the time you have logged on your own airframe, or will it be on theirs?
And thanks for the offer... I'll be interested to hear how the training goes, and what you think of it... Value for money etc.
2015-4-8
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

Baldrick Posted at 2015-4-8 17:08
Hi Southerndoug

Are you intending to use for commercial use? In that case you will need a Operators ...

Ultimately, yes. I realise I will need a UOC, or at least work for someone with one. I have a CPL, so was hoping to get the 5 hours on my own airframe, and Manufactureres Assessment on that too. I don't need to spend the $3000 on the rest of the licence, only the MA part of it, which I was quoted $495. RPAS uses a Flamewheel 450 don't they? And then say you have an unrestricted multi rotor <7 kg on your CC/RPL-1. Does that cover you for an Inspire? Not according to another company I approached. Confusing...

How was the training with RPAS, by the way?
2015-4-8
Use props
tmenzies86
lvl.1

Australia

Hey Mate I have my (h)cpl as well so I'm only after a manufacturers assessment. I am doing it with my own machine (inspire one) so it'll be on my CC.
Pretty sure it is unrestricted multi rotor <7kg, .

2015-4-8
Use props
caddwizard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 453788780 ft
Australia

Has CASA clearly defined MANUFACTURER.

If I am not mistaken if you build/construct your own you ARE the MANUFACTURER. As you need to add the battery, put on the props and prop locks, camera and display (tablet,iPad,computer). Not doing these (save the prop locks) your Inspire isn't RTF.

We don't just charge it up like a true RTF?
2015-4-8
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

I'm doing mine with Wicked Copters over the weekend (). They seem like a good bunch of guys. They ar ...

How was the Wicked training?
2015-4-12
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

Hey Tom how was it? And does the offer still stand to have a look at the MA?
2015-4-27
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

Mowog2 Posted at 2015-4-28 11:56
There are changes to rules coming later this year. CASA of course wont provide any detail so all I h ...

CASAs website hasn't changed in months! New CASR part 102 (replacing 101) is due sometime in 2016. More a reflection on the low staffing levels they have on their RPA project at present. I finally got a reply from them to an email I sent about a month ago, and was told the current waiting time for a UOC is 9 months! With 220 Australian UOC's already out there, it's scary to think how many more must be in the pipeline....
2015-4-27
Use props
gm2005
New

Australia

Mowog2 Posted at 2015-4-28 11:56
There are changes to rules coming later this year. CASA of course wont provide any detail so all I h ...

It would be interesting to find out what the changes CASA will do, will they go down the same track as NZ where just about anyone can fly commercially?

On another note, I already had my ppl so just did the 1 day manu training with http://fpvaustralia.com.au/
They just add you in to one of their full 5 day rpas courses, probably worth while doing the full course even if you have ppl anyway as there didnt seem to be much relevant from the ppl to uav flying, anyway hoping to complete my controller cert shortly and hope to find someone with an OC so I can earn some $$, is anyone else doing something similar already or know of anyone with an OC that is happy to let you fly under them?
2015-4-27
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

gm2005 Posted at 2015-4-28 13:14
It would be interesting to find out what the changes CASA will do, will they go down the same trac ...

What did they charge you for the Manufacturers training? And was it worth it? I mean, did you learn anything, or just have to "fly through the hoops"... so to speak? I'm in the same boat as you, have my CPL, and hoping to work with someone with a UOC...
2015-4-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Can anyone give me a clear answer on how much it costs to train and get a Controller's Certificate?   I know I would have to engage an operator to partner with, just interested in the costs and effort to pilot.

I've asked before but the answers are always multifaceted and confusing.
2015-4-28
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-29 14:04
Can anyone give me a clear answer on how much it costs to train and get a Controller's Certificate?  ...

Hi Jim
If, like me, you have a PPL or CPL, then, as you know doubt already know, you just need the 5 hours logged plus Manufacturers Assessment/Training for multirotor <7kg (then the CASA application fee). RPAS training offered this to me for $495, if I turned up to one of their full 5 day long courses for one day in the final two days, and just did the flying component (using their F450). Ground Effect Aviation in Melbourne quoted me $695 for the same, using one of their Phantoms. Hard to do here in Tassie. I'd be interested to know how you go! BTW, thanks for the ND filter test: ordered mine today. Looks like a nice (windy) day in Sydney!
2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

southerndoug Posted at 2015-5-6 09:51
Hi Jim
If, like me, you have a PPL or CPL, then, as you know doubt already know, you just need the ...

Thanks for that.  Sorry, not up with the lingo, do PPL and CPL refer to existing qualifications?  If so I have none...

Seems like you need to pretty much become a proper aircraft pilot to be able to use a drone professionally.   A bit over the top if you ask me!

Please let me know if I have it wrong, I'd love to be wrong here!
2015-5-5
Use props
southerndoug
lvl.2
Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-6 10:21
Thanks for that.  Sorry, not up with the lingo, do PPL and CPL refer to existing qualifications?   ...

Sorry: PPL = private pilot licence, CPL = Commercial Pilot Licence. Either of these qualifications allows you to go the route I mentioned in previous post, with only 5 logged hours on your multirotor of choice. If you have neither of these, you need to do a course with an accredited provider. Several to choose from, charging between $2500 to $5000. You will come away with a RPL-1 (Remote Pilot Licence, level 1), and be able to work with a company with a UAS Operators Certificate (a UOC). It's a process alright...

CASA claims it is re-writing the regs (CASR part 101: http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMSWA::pc=PARTS101) and these will be ready by 2016. Who knows what they will come up with. They were tossing up the notion of a less than 2kg class (in a recent Notice of Proposed Rulemaking), in which you could do any activity, including commercial. OK for Phantom owners, not so good for Inspire pilots. However current UOC owners have rejected that proposal, and CASA may have changed their mind again.

Keep your  eye on their website for any updates:

http://www.casa.gov.au/rpa

...not that much has changed there recently. I was told they have 4 people in the office, and a waiting list of 9 months on UOC approvals.
2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

southerndoug Posted at 2015-5-6 11:52
Sorry: PPL = private pilot licence, CPL = Commercial Pilot Licence. Either of these qualifications ...

Cool, thanks for the info.   I have neither so I think the answer for me is DON'T BOTHER IT'S WAAAAAY TOOOOO HARD, TOO EXPENSIVE AND TOO BUREAUCRATIC!

Stop me if I'm yelling too much.

I just find the system perplexing since I can fly all I want as a hobbyist but the moment I want to charge for my service (happy to follow the same restrictions as a hobbyist for places I can fly) then why should the system be so restrictive?   Seems like a weekend safety course and clear restrictions would suffice.   That's certainly more qualification I have to be flying right now!  

Okay rant complete.   
2015-5-5
Use props
pi.productions
lvl.1
Flight distance : 831247 ft

How did this work out? Has to be the exact aircraft. Trading includes familiarity with functions, not just the weight category. In fact casa require you notify them of all aircraft changes for your operations manual even between am Inspire 1 and a Pro.
2016-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules