Bought Refurbished Mavic from DJI - Maybe not a good move
2839 33 2017-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tmv
lvl.1
United States

So I thought I would be smart and buy a refurbished Mavic, and ordered it with refresh still cheaper than new.  Shipping was very fast and I received my Mavic on September 27.  I noticed after unpacking and charging that the remote controller LCD display wasn't displaying characters correctly, but other than that worked fine.  I contacted support online, submitted several photos of the issue. I initially was told by email to send everything back to DJI, but called since just the controller was the issue. They agreed to just send the controller in, although I requested that they send me a replacement controller before sending the malfunctioning unit in so I could keep flying - not approved. Controller was shipped in on October 2, arrived October 6, still no follow up.  

I am quite disappointed at the level of support after initial purchase.  A malfunctioning controller out of the box I would have expected them to rush a new controller with some appologies, but support has been slow to non-existent. Not sure if this is due to buying a refurbished unit, but this ridiculous. I'll update when I receive a functioning controller.

So far the timeline is
Sept 23 Purchased online from DJI
Sept 27 Arrived - quick ship
Sept 28 Contacted DJI about controller issue
Oct 2 Shipped controller
Controller received by DJI Oct 6
October 10 - waiting....

2017-10-10
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to DJI customer service.  It’s not exclusive to refurbished units.  
2017-10-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Not sure if this is due to buying a refurbished unit . . .

Yes and no. If you had bought a new system it's very unlikely you'd have gotten a faulty controller, but as Miata said, once you have to get customer support involved this is more or less par for the course. For what it's worth, DJI has a good track record of (eventually) making things right, but the path to getting there is sometimes long and painful.
2017-10-10
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has such a good reputation as industry leaders in drone technology, but such a poor reputation for customer service. I hope they can hire someone to turn that department around.
2017-10-10
Use props
MavicAlpha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243770 ft
Malaysia

Agreed. DJI need a strong customer support team
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Tmv, sorry to hear about your experience, the package was received 2 days ago and is waiting for the replacement approval of our manager, we will contact local team to speed up the progress, hope you will get it back soon.
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sunny D Posted at 2017-10-10 17:16
DJI has such a good reputation as industry leaders in drone technology, but such a poor reputation for customer service. I hope they can hire someone to turn that department around.

We apologize if you have unpleasant experience with us.
We understand that we still have a long way to go, but we never stop, our management is working on improving the quality of products and customer service, hope every customer will have a good experience with us in the future.
2017-10-10
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-10 17:58
Tmv, sorry to hear about your experience, the package was received 2 days ago and is waiting for the replacement approval of our manager, we will contact local team to speed up the progress, hope you will get it back soon.

This came to the customer not fully functional, it should have been given extra effort to replace since it is DJI who is at fault.  
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-10 18:07
This came to the customer not fully functional, it should have been given extra effort to replace since it is DJI who is at fault.

We do sorry for this situation, the case has been escalated to local team to expedite the process and we will do our best to help OP to get it addressed.
The issue will also be forwarded to our management to improve the quality control and try to reduce this situation.
2017-10-10
Use props
Alexei Merinov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

in fact, everything is fine with you - do not worry.
I was sent to do warranty repair in Australia ...
2017-10-10
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

october 10 - contacted DJI and stated that I wanted a replacement controller sent. They said they could only update me on the status, and that it was still processing. I stated that if I did not receive a tracking number by the following day I would disputed the charge with Credit Card.
2017-10-11
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

October 11- received call stating that controller would be sent out and will receive by Friday. Also received follow up email stating that I would receive a tracking # by the end of the day. Thanks! Unfortunately tracking number was not received by 11pm.... hopefully I will still receive the controller by Friday as stated.
2017-10-11
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

I think that when it was verified that I received a faulty product an immediate replacement should have been on its way. I verified with pictures.
2017-10-11
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-10 18:07

Agree, should have been rushed...
2017-10-11
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

I verified with pictures that this was a faulty product, replacement should have been rushed immediately.
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

tmv Posted at 2017-10-11 19:15
I verified with pictures that this was a faulty product, replacement should have been rushed immediately.

Our supervisor has contacted you and promised the replacement will be shipped out in 2-day air.
I have contacted local logistics team to send the shipping label to you as soon as possible. Hope you will receive it soon.
We will keep improving our customer service to make your experience with us better in the future.

2017-10-12
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

I think DJI has the potential to be a great company, however the customer service is pretty bad.

My experience was slow, long and drawn out. Support from customer service was vague and usually not helpful.

It took 6 weeks from the time my Mavic broke until I received a replacement.  I'm thankful to the admins on here because that is the only way my case was resolved.
Hope you get taken care of soon.
2017-10-12
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

You will probably be waiting about 5 weeks before you get any solution... and you will now get your controller back, it will be a refurb used one. DJI have the best products, but the worst service.
2017-10-12
Use props
BrianHardiman
lvl.1
United States

This is exactly what happened to me, except I was able to use my controller for a few weeks before characters started to simply disappear.  I sent mine back on the 20th, it was received on the 25th, and reviewed on the 27th.  I then received an email stating a new RC would be returned within 5-7 business days.  I have not heard anything from DJI since, except from checking my progress that the "verified" stage was approved on October 3rd (no email to let me know, though).  I have yet to receive any word on if my RC has been shipped back.  I've contacted DJI twice since then, and both times they assured me my case would be escalated and expedited, but nothing has come of that.  

This is especially frustrating to me, as I am leaving for a trip today and hoped that by sending back on Sept 20th, I'd have my issue resolved and RC returned by now.  I didn't expect there to be "radio silence" since the 27th and no RC in hand.

2017-10-12
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-12 02:25
Our supervisor has contacted you and promised the replacement will be shipped out in 2-day air.
I have contacted local logistics team to send the shipping label to you as soon as possible. Hope you will receive it soon.
We will keep improving our customer service to make your experience with us better in the future.

Yes, they stated they would send me tracking information, but have not. Will I receive it tomorrow?
2017-10-12
Use props
fzlot
New
United States

So am I totally off the wall thinking that a "factory refurb" should actually be better than new-in-box because it should have been gone over so thoroughly?
2017-10-12
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

fzlot Posted at 2017-10-12 10:59
So am I totally off the wall thinking that a "factory refurb" should actually be better than new-in-box because it should have been gone over so thoroughly?

Mavic was perfect, I am guessing they didn't check the remote...
2017-10-12
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

Oct 12 - on forum it was verified that RC was being sent 2-day. I didn't receive a tracking # yet, so I remain skeptical about it arriving tomorrow as promised via phone. I have hopes, but am remaining realistic. I think Saturday is when I contact my credit card company if no update is received... I'll update tomorrow, wish me luck!
2017-10-12
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Simple fact is this, I’d expect a new controller to have an issue, NOT re refurbished one. This is the disgraceful part.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

tmv Posted at 2017-10-12 15:27
Oct 12 - on forum it was verified that RC was being sent 2-day. I didn't receive a tracking # yet, so I remain skeptical about it arriving tomorrow as promised via phone. I have hopes, but am remaining realistic. I think Saturday is when I contact my credit card company if no update is received... I'll update tomorrow, wish me luck!

I'm so sorry that you didn't receive the shipping label, I have left a message to local supervisor to look into, sorry that I cannot update you now because of time difference.
Again, hope you will receive it soon.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BrianHardiman Posted at 2017-10-12 09:23
This is exactly what happened to me, except I was able to use my controller for a few weeks before characters started to simply disappear.  I sent mine back on the 20th, it was received on the 25th, and reviewed on the 27th.  I then received an email stating a new RC would be returned within 5-7 business days.  I have not heard anything from DJI since, except from checking my progress that the "verified" stage was approved on October 3rd (no email to let me know, though).  I have yet to receive any word on if my RC has been shipped back.  I've contacted DJI twice since then, and both times they assured me my case would be escalated and expedited, but nothing has come of that.  

This is especially frustrating to me, as I am leaving for a trip today and hoped that by sending back on Sept 20th, I'd have my issue resolved and RC returned by now.  I didn't expect there to be "radio silence" since the 27th and no RC in hand.

Brain, you still haven't received your RC yet right? If so, we sincerely apologize for the long time frame.
Please post the case number here, we will help to look into.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

el pelo Posted at 2017-10-12 04:52
I think DJI has the potential to be a great company, however the customer service is pretty bad.

My experience was slow, long and drawn out. Support from customer service was vague and usually not helpful.

You unpleasant experience and unsatisfaction will be transferred to our management department for attention.
We are working on improving our customer service like shortening time frame, doing more training, increasing more repair centers and so on.
Hope your experience with us will be better in the future, and we are always here for you, please keep us posted if you need any assistance.
2017-10-12
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-12 23:07
I'm so sorry that you didn't receive the shipping label, I have left a message to local supervisor to look into, sorry that I cannot update you now because of time difference.
Again, hope you will receive it soon.

I hope so too...
2017-10-13
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

A secondary problem is when customer service folks make promises that are not kept. I have not received the controller yet today, maybe it will still come, but I certainly did not get the tracking number so I could see for myself.
2017-10-13
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

October 13 - didn't receive RC as promised by manager on the phone. I called them once again, they couldn't provide an update but once again forwarded to "superior" . If I don't have a RC tomorrow I will dispute charge through CC company.   I'm wishing that I would have gone through a retailer such as Amazon or Costco so I could go to the store or easily exchange.  Purchase through DJI not recommended at this point. We'll see if they will try to fix their mistake - I'll continue to follow up.
2017-10-13
Use props
tmv
lvl.1
United States

Oct 13 -  second update.  I did receive the RC today at 7:30pm.  They did follow up on their word per manager on Wednesday.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

tmv Posted at 2017-10-13 15:30
Oct 13 -  second update.  I did receive the RC today at 7:30pm.  They did follow up on their word per manager on Wednesday.

Glad to hear that you received your RC. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2017-10-13
Use props
BrianHardiman
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-12 23:13
Brain, you still haven't received your RC yet right? If so, we sincerely apologize for the long time frame.
Please post the case number here, we will help to look into.

I very much appreciate you looking into the matter.  I have not received my RC yet either.  Please let me know if you are able to glean any info into the status of my repair, as I have not received word on where it is or the reason for a delay.

My case number is CAS-1015034-C4G0B3
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BrianHardiman Posted at 2017-10-15 16:00
I very much appreciate you looking into the matter.  I have not received my RC yet either.  Please let me know if you are able to glean any info into the status of my repair, as I have not received word on where it is or the reason for a delay.

My case number is CAS-1015034-C4G0B3

Brian, we apologize again for the delay in shipping. The case has been escalated to related team to follow up, we will have someone to contact you and expedite the process, thanks for your patience.
Hope you will receive it soon.
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules