Spark unstable flying with an unapproved device.
1030 6 2017-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I know I know.. people will read the title of the thread and call me an idot..

But, bare with me a mintue, this is interesting.

I decided to try to fly my spark with a Kindle Fire 7 tablet.  I have seen some people say that it works, others say no. But, a $50 tablet is worth a try so I did.

I connected via Wifi and started up.. the video feed was terrible or non existant.  Ok... not unexpected.

I took off and this is where the unexpected came into play.   The spark would not even hover.  It would drift around and gain and lose altitude.

I tried to take a picture or two.. and to start a recording.. nothing worked.

Now, the spark and the RC should be what flies the craft, or so I thought.  I figured controls on the APP and picture taking could be affected by the phone / tablet. But, basic flight, the spark should do that.  But, I couldn't even ask it to take a picture using the buttons on the RC.  I guess I am lucky the sticks were working.

I landed, did not turn off the spark, disconnected the kindle fire and connected my iPhone 6.. took off again and everything was perfect.

So now I am puzzled.  Was the poor quality of the tablet somehow affecting the computing power in the spark because of the terrible video lag?  Or is there more going on in the phone app than I realize?  Could the phone be doing some of the work to stabilize the spark? Certainly not,, spark can fly out of range of the phone and still fly itself back home.
I find this strange and interesting..

I might try it once more with the OTG cable, but I don't think the Kindle is up to the challenge.
Oh well,  turn it into a kids kindle and give it to my granddaughter I suppose.
2017-10-10
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

Sorry for the double post... the first time it told me that the server timed out so I posted it again.. Admins please delete one of them.
2017-10-10
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are right, you're an idiot, seriously you are taking an expensive mistake by using something that is not recommended.
2017-10-10
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Hes not an idiot he was just doing a little testing. Interesting op
2017-10-10
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-10 17:50
You are right, you're an idiot, seriously you are taking an expensive mistake by using something that is not recommended.

Not really.. only a couple of feet off the ground over soft grass... spark would not have been hurt even if it crashed.
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It might be a coincidence. Connecting the drone and RC directly, you can check the hover status without APP.
2017-10-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I see the "recomended" list as the list of the devices, DJI has checked and found best functional.
But as long DJI is not giving a "not approved" list, which of course will never happen for legal reason, every other device is totally fine, as long as the user like/have it and can use it.
Also it can't void the warranty, usually, b/c that would need a "use only devices from our list", which would be like a "all others are not permitted" exclusion list.
For now, DJI Go 4 needs android 4.4 (I think), iOS xx,  and everything else is not specified with "we recommend to use only ....."
Maybe DJI needs to set some more parameter?
Like Software on computers "needs quad, i7, GPU with dedicaded Ram", whatsoever?
On iOS it is much easier for DJI, to adopt the app, as it is for android, with thousands of different phones, dozens of branded androids.

The only way around that problem would be to sell the drones only in bundle with flight-devices.
Which can't happen, in the "hobby" sector.
Or would we buy it?
"Spark-Crystalsky"
"Spark Crystalsky Fly more "
For 500 and 800, yes.
But ......
2017-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules