How to Comply with Canadian UAV Rules?
932 2 2017-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans00bd3594
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83386 ft
Canada

I started communicating to Transportation Canada about the ambiguous rules for both recreational users and recreational users that need a SFOC. Quite honeslty I was in disbelief as I thought the responses would ashew most of my concerns but it only validated them. Assuming you purchased a Mavic or Phantom series drone to film/photograph scenery (fall colours, icebergs, waterfalls, etc.) just like DJI advertises, you will be sad to know the following (this would be if you want to be excluded from having to get a SFOC) for any drone weighing over 1killogram (DJI Phantom series does):

• You must take an ABC fire extinguisher with you when you fly
  • 500 meters maximum distance from launch point
  • Visual Line of Sight (your eyes must be on the drone), were not just talking regular line of sight...so don't you dare look down at your monitoring device
  • You must post placards indication you are flying a drone at your launch and recovery site
  • You must notify the ministry well in advance (TA suggest 30 days +) for each flight
  • You must conduct a site survey (topigraphical, landscape, water, etc) and submit it with your request to fly
  • You must cooridinate with the land owner/s
  • You must complete pilot ground school for UAV's
  • You must aquire at least 100k in liability insurance
  • If a SFOC is requried, you must request one for each flight over a different landscape (forrest X, lake A, forrest B, lake D, etc.)
  • Keep in mind, a SFOC is not going to be approved unless you are a business that requires the footage/images you are collecting. The recreational user will not be considered.

So, since we are banned from every location where you would want to fly (natural beauty, parks, lakes, forrest, waterfalls, icebergs, natural landmarks) by virtue of access usually being through or in a park. We all know your not welcome to fly in parks (regarless of size and population). Since flying with any exception to the above is not possible for a recreational drone user. What might I ask is everyone doing to comply, other than leaving the drone packed up in a box on the shelf?

I know, your in disbelief as was I, feel free to investigate drone rules on the Transportation Canada website. Be sure to follow the clicks all the way through because on the surface it looks much easier than the eventual compliance you seek.
Please tell me someone out there is working to help us out and not put us in jail for normal drone use?

2017-10-10
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

public assemblies and aerodromes/helipads seem to be my greatest setback but these recreational rules aren't so crazy >> http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... g_for_fun_EN-V8.pdf  I would like if they at least relaxed the VLOS and max height a bit more
2017-10-11
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Oh, and let's not forgot the scientific marvel of experiencing flight! Trying to keep it all in perspective.. I can say I have yet to need to report a 'drone incident' or worse have one reported on me so that's a plus
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules