Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Platinum to replace a lost Mavic
2204 15 2017-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fred F
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4676457 ft
Australia

I lost of Mavic and I want just get the Mavic Platinum if possible.  Here are the questions

A) Does the Mavic Platinum work with the old controller, batteries and rotar blades ?
B) If they can work together, can it still maintain the new performance parameters?

cheers

2017-10-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

A) Does the Mavic Platinum work with the old controller, batteries and rotar blades ?

Yes.

B) If they can work together, can it still maintain the new performance parameters?

Part of the reduced noise and extra flight time of the Platinum comes from the new propellers and some of it comes from hardware changes. So if you put the new propellers on a Mavic (non-Platinum) Pro, it'll be quieter and fly longer than one without them, but not as long or as quietly as Mavic Pro Platinum with those same propellers. Likewise, if you put the old propellers on a Mavic Pro Platinum, it won't fly as quietly or as long as if it had the new ones.
2017-10-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-11 03:05

Yes.

has that last point been tested, i found most reviews only putting new parts on old mavic but not the other way around...  that would curious to see the difference.. i wonder how efficient the new ESCs really are and if most of the variance comes from the new props.

from reviews i seen new props on old mavic.. seeing 1-2 minutes better flight time (hover tests) and 1-4 db difference, so lets say 2-3 db difference to cut it right down the middle...that is a bulk of change claimed that the platinum does vs the original.. plat says to get 3 minutes better flight time, and 4db change..  that's a bulk of the changes just in the props.. i be curious to see how much plat deteriorates with old props..
2017-10-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

but he did not test the MPP with old standard props from what i saw of his review, he just uses his standard mavic pro...  im curious how much much better the new ESCs in the MPP really are.. i have a theory that probably not that big of a difference once you put the standard props on the MPP it suffer the same as the standard mavic does, exactly.. specially accounting for age and wear..
2017-10-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a video.  Old props work on MPP.  It is louder, and it reduces hover time. Too lazy to search for the video, but It’s recent.
2017-10-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-10-11 03:40
There is a video.  Old props work on MPP.  It is louder, and it reduces hover time. Too lazy to search for the video, but It’s recent.

but how close is it to matching the original mavic with original props?    i think a massive bulk of change comes from the new props..not the ESC, new ESCs seem to do a lot less than anyone expected..

im waiting on my new props i will bet anything it matches in real world what a MPP does, exactly..all down to $20 in parts..
2017-10-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The bulk of the work in the “upgrade” to the MPP is the new ESC’s. They are quite a bit more efficient, and really the MPP is just a test bed for future DJI product applications.
2017-10-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-10-11 03:52
The bulk of the work in the “upgrade” to the MPP is the new ESC’s. They are quite a bit more efficient, and really the MPP is just a test bed for future DJI product applications.

but how much change is there really?  looking at the specs .. 4 DB quieter and 3 minutes more flight time.  

props alone on old mavic in most every review averaged out:  giving 1-2 minutes better flight time and 2-3 db less noise, that's pretty big bulk of the change coming down to the new props not to the new ESC...

my question is if put old props on new MPP does it get 1-2 minutes less flight time and 2-3 db more noisy?   because if so, then pretty much the ESC aren't really changing much of anything in the real world.. only test that seems to show difference in the ESC being props off testing where both have no props..but i still haven't found a MPP wearing old props and getting solid numbers yet...
2017-10-11
Use props
sica
lvl.4
Flight distance : 679 ft
Israel

I do not understand the change made by dji in the chapter esc-control of electric motors! in sinusoidal mode is quieter but also the power of moment decreases. in trapezoidal mode is more galagious but the power is higher .. with the switch from one speed to the other is faster
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

For the first question, as long as you are using the latest firmware, the parts you mentioned above can be used on Mavic Pro Platinum.
But as you know the main differences between the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum is the ESC and the props, so if you are applying normal props on Mavic Pro Platinum, I think it might reduce its performance.
2017-10-11
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

the only hardware difference are the ECS's (and a paint job) - they are practically identical drones.
2017-10-11
Use props
Fred F
lvl.4
Australia

ACW Posted at 2017-10-11 10:26
the only hardware difference are the ECS's (and a paint job) - they are practically identical drones.

Thanks to all who answered.  As I am not up-to-date with the acronyms, I presume ECS means the  IMU, which also means the drone body.  Correct?

2017-10-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Fred F Posted at 2017-10-11 13:07
Thanks to all who answered.  As I am not up-to-date with the acronyms, I presume ECS means the  IMU, which also means the drone body.  Correct?

ESC = Electronic Speed Control. They control the motor speeds. IMU is something completely different and as far as I know didn't change on the Platinum.
2017-10-11
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fred F Posted at 2017-10-11 13:07

IMU is the inertial measurement unit - An IMU is a single unit in the electronics module which collects angular velocity and linear acceleration data which is sent to the main processor. An IMU housing contains two separate sensors. The first sensor is the accelerometer and the second is the gyroscope - the IMU is exactly the same on both Mavic's and both have two IMU's for added redundancy.
2017-10-11
Use props
Fred F
lvl.4
Australia

ACW Posted at 2017-10-11 13:50
IMU is the inertial measurement unit - An IMU is a single unit in the electronics module which collects angular velocity and linear acceleration data which is sent to the main processor. An IMU housing contains two separate sensors. The first sensor is the accelerometer and the second is the gyroscope - the IMU is exactly the same on both Mavic's and both have two IMU's for added redundancy.

Thank you for enlightening my limited knowledge.  Wonderful.
2017-10-11
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lots to learn but that’s all part of it. You won’t know unless you ask so good for you.  
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules