Mavic Pro Gimbal/Camera acting weird
2922 27 2017-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 185449 ft
Finland

What is going on in the end of the video before the recording stopped by itself?

Using the latest firmware on Mavic, battery and controller.

2017-10-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I can't see your video, but by any chance did the gimbal appear to "reset" itself? If so, that's the well-known problem that I refer to as "gimbals gone wild" and it isn't limited to a specific firmware release.
2017-10-11
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-11 04:38
I can't see your video, but by any chance did the gimbal appear to "reset" itself? If so, that's the well-known problem that I refer to as "gimbals gone wild" and it isn't limited to a specific firmware release.

Can you see it now? Didn't seem like a "normal" gimbal reset where it goes up and down. More like some kind of glitch or malfunction.

This is the second time my warranty replacement Mavic does this. It is just now that I managed to record it.
2017-10-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Lay Posted at 2017-10-11 04:50
Can you see it now? Didn't seem like a "normal" gimbal reset where it goes up and down. More like some kind of glitch or malfunction.

This is the second time my warranty replacement Mavic does this. It is just now that I managed to record it.

Yes, I can see it now. Is this video from the Mavic itself or was it recorded on / by your mobile device? And if it's video from the Mavic (and assuming you've posted only a portion of it), by any chance is the video file almost exactly 4GB in size? The "gimbals gone wild" problem often -- though not always -- seems to coincide with the point in time where one video file is being closed and another started, so the last video file is usually right around 4GB when the problem occurs.
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Lay Posted at 2017-10-11 04:50

So you are recording at that time, right? Could you please help to upload the original video from the SD card to Dropbox and paste the link here. Besides, please also provide me with the screenshot of About on General Settings of the app. Thank you so much.
2017-10-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-11 05:46
So you are recording at that time, right? Could you please help to upload the original video from the SD card to Dropbox and paste the link here. Besides, please also provide me with the screenshot of About on General Settings of the app. Thank you so much.

So you are recording at that time, right?

The fact that he wrote that "the recording stopped by itself" strongly implies that yes, he was recording at the time.
2017-10-11
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

Yes I was recording. You can see the whole clip that I posted on YouTube.

I sent the dropbox link with pm.

2017_10_11_14_38_09 is from the phone. The connection was strong the whole flight. (the whole video that I uploaded to YouTube)
DJI_0025 is from the SD. (It stopped recording a tiny bit earlier).
DJI_0026 is after the issue. I tried to focus 2 times without success and recorded a small clip (it went out of focus when the issue happened). After that I just did my best to bring the Mavic home and not try to record anything.

I just tested the Mavic and everything works. I recorded a bit longer clip (2min) and it worked just fine.

Edit: It might be the same problem that many people are having https://forum.dji.com/thread-113406-1-1.html
2017-10-11
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-11 05:07
Yes, I can see it now. Is this video from the Mavic itself or was it recorded on / by your mobile device? And if it's video from the Mavic (and assuming you've posted only a portion of it), by any chance is the video file almost exactly 4GB in size? The "gimbals gone wild" problem often -- though not always -- seems to coincide with the point in time where one video file is being closed and another started, so the last video file is usually right around 4GB when the problem occurs.

That was from the phone. The original file from the SD was only about 0,5GB. You can actually see the whole video that I posted.
2017-10-11
Use props
BradC234
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219770 ft
Canada

I have been seeing this as well... Any info on what it might be?

Thanks
2017-10-11
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

Today I tried to continue doing my video shooting work with the Mavic. I tried 2 different location, 3 different batteries, 2 different SD cards, 2 different USB cables. This ruins my video every single flight. I don't even dare to say in loud how I feel about this and how frustrated I'm at the moment. Do I just send the Mavic back to warranty service or what? Any help would be highly appreciated at the moment.

2017-10-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Lay Posted at 2017-10-11 07:17
Yes I was recording. You can see the whole clip that I posted on YouTube.

I sent the dropbox link with pm.

You can see the whole clip that I posted on YouTube.

I only see the one you linked to in your original post; from your comments it appears you PM'd Thor a link to the recording from the Mavic (and others) on DropBox.

Edit: It might be the same problem that many people are having https://forum.dji.com/thread-113406-1-1.html

That's the "gimbals gone wild" problem I was referring to earlier, and while I can't say that it is or isn't the same problem, I doubt it. The behavior your described is a little different from how that one typically manifests itself and it sounds like it's more consistent than the GGW problem.

2017-10-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Lay Posted at 2017-10-12 02:15
Today I tried to continue doing my video shooting work with the Mavic. I tried 2 different location, 3 different batteries, 2 different SD cards, 2 different USB cables. This ruings my video every single flight. I don't even dare to say in loud how I feel about this and how frustrated I'm at the moment. Do I just send the Mavic back to warranty service or what? Any help would be highly appreciated at the moment.

Do I just send the Mavic back to warranty service or what?

That's what I would do. Trying different SD cards was the only other thing I could think of to suggest, and since you've already done that I'd recommend getting a replacement.

Part of the reason I recommend that is that I'm now doubtful that this is the "gimbals gone wild" problem for a couple of reasons. First, your video doesn't quite look the same as what I'm used to seeing with that problem, and second, it sounds like what you're experiencing is much more consistent than that problem: GGW usually just happens sporadically, but it sounds like you're seeing it frequently. In a way, that's a good thing, because as best I can tell DJI still doesn't know the cause of or have a fix for GGW even though they routinely tell people experiencing that to send their Mavics in for replacement.

Good luck.
2017-10-12
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-12 02:26
Do I just send the Mavic back to warranty service or what?

That's what I would do. Trying different SD cards was the only other thing I could think of to suggest, and since you've already done that I'd recommend getting a replacement.

Yes. I would call this pretty consistent... too consistent. Thank you for the help.

2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Lay Posted at 2017-10-12 02:15
Today I tried to continue doing my video shooting work with the Mavic. I tried 2 different location, 3 different batteries, 2 different SD cards, 2 different USB cables. This ruins my video every single flight. I don't even dare to say in loud how I feel about this and how frustrated I'm at the moment. Do I just send the Mavic back to warranty service or what? Any help would be highly appreciated at the moment.

Edit: CAS-1095476-Q3G1S4

Sorry for the late reply. We understand how you feel at this moment. I am trying to figure this case out, but because I can not reproduce the case happened to me like the videos that you or others user experienced, so I would really appreciate any feedbacks from you for the investigating. Would you mind telling me more info about the operations before that kind of gimbal "reset"? Like is it that you are recording at the very beginning, then the gimbal and camera "resets" in what time, or will it stop the record when it reset, will it continue recording after the "reset"?
Or this case happened both when it is recording and taking photos. BTW, I really need one more screenshot, it is on About at camera settings, Like I provided below. About.jpeg I gratitude your help.

And if you send it in, our colleague will also take care of it. We will diagnose when it arrives, if it is a warranty case, you will not get the repair charge.
2017-10-12
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-12 22:25
Sorry for the late reply. We understand how you feel at this moment. I am trying to figure this case out, but because I can not reproduce the case happened to me like the videos that you or others user experienced, so I would really appreciate any feedbacks from you for the investigating. Would you mind telling me more info about the operations before that kind of gimbal "reset"? Like is it that you are recording at the very beginning, then the gimbal and camera "resets" in what time, or will it stop the record when it reset, will it continue recording after the "reset"?
Or this case happened both when it is recording and taking photos. BTW, I really need one more screenshot, it is on About at camera settings, Like I provided below.[view_image] I gratitude your help. [view_image]

It is not time related. It is random. It can happen in 15sec,  5min or any given time. The problem is that it seems to happen so often that it makes the video recording useless. I did experience 1 or 2 gimbal reset with my original Mavic but it was so rare that it did not really bother me.

It will allways stop the recording. You can continue recording after waiting a couple of minutes so that the focusing starts to respond again. I usually just focus to some far away locationa and leave it like that during the flight.

I don't remember this happening while stationary and taking pictures. Most of them just happened while recording video and flying straight.

I can not see  any reason that it would not be a warranty case. Both of my Mavics have been in mint condition (except these internal problems) and I have never crashed them or had any rough landings. Allways use the gimbal cover and clamp when not flying. Mavic Pro is a great drone. It is compact, great flying capability, great video and decent picture quality. If only I would not have these gimbal/camera problems that make video recording useless. My original Mavic had a bit better image quality. Images taken with this Mavic are a bit soft in the left corner but nothing too serious.

I will send the screenshots soon.

2017-10-12
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-12 22:25
Or this case happened both when it is recording and taking photos. BTW, I really need one more screenshot, it is on About at camera settings, Like I provided below.[view_image] I gratitude your help. [view_image]

And the screenshots

2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Thank you so much. I had forwarded your feedback to our engineers. Will get back to you if I heard something. Appreciate your waiting.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi Lay, I got news from the engineers. Please send the drone back, we will take care of it. Please apply an online repair case on this website: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area and PM me the case number, thank you so much of your assistance.
2017-10-18
Use props
charlesetischer
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Dear customer, according to our preliminary analysis results, it may  be a hardware issue. Could you send it back to us for further analysis? Sorry for any inconvenience. And thanks for your feedback and suport!
2017-10-18
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-18 02:17
Hi Lay, I got news from the engineers. Please send the drone back, we will take care of it. Please apply an online repair case on this website: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area and PM me the case number, thank you so much of your assistance.

Thank you for the reply. The drone and remote are once again on the way to the DJI Europe - NL.

PM Sent

I REALLY hope that I don't get another used drone with another hardware issue. It has been 3 months since I bought the drone and I still don't have a working one. I had 8+ months old used drone with these issues. I might have been unlucky, but honestly this has been rather frustrating experience.
2017-10-18
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

charlesetischer Posted at 2017-10-18 04:01
Dear customer, according to our preliminary analysis results, it may  be a hardware issue. Could you send it back to us for further analysis? Sorry for any inconvenience. And thanks for your feedback and suport!

Thank you for the reply. See the answer above.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Lay Posted at 2017-10-18 05:09
Thank you for the reply. The drone and remote are once again on the way to the DJI Europe - NL.

PM Sent

I got your PM, our colleague will take good care of it when it arrives. Sincerely sorry for the trouble that you've been experiencing, hope things will be sorted out shortly.
2017-10-18
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-18 22:35
I got your PM, our colleague will take good care of it when it arrives. Sincerely sorry for the trouble that you've been experiencing, hope things will be sorted out shortly.

Thank you for all the Support Thor.

Allthough I don't like the way DJI handles warranty repairs (Your new Mavic turns in to way older and used one. I would get this with DJI care refresh but not with warranty issues ). I have to say that all the Customer Service people and moderators are doing superb job.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Lay Posted at 2017-10-19 00:34
Thank you for all the Support Thor.

Allthough I don't like the way DJI handles warranty repairs (Your new Mavic turns in to way older and used one. I would get this with DJI care refresh but not with warranty issues ). I have to say that all the Customer Service people and moderators are doing superb job.

But if I was in this situation, I would take it as the warranty if it is, because I deserve it. I myself feel really sorry for the inconvenience.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi, Lay. I had received your PM and informed the proper team to look into it. Will help to get an update soon. Appreciate your patience.
2017-10-25
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-25 02:04
Hi, Lay. I had received your PM and informed the proper team to look into it. Will help to get an update soon. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you once again for all the support Thor. Got the Mavic, remote etc. and tested it couple of times. Despite the windy weather (and all the high wind warnings) everything seems to work now.

This time the warranty repair was handled superbly. On a scale of 1-10 I would say 10+. Thank you DJI
2017-11-6
Use props
bernardren07
Second Officer
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I will like to know if you all can try from first 4k 30fps, 2.7k 30fps and 1080p 60fps. Form me 4k 30fps have issue when i switch on video until 1 min ++ suddenly reset and stop video. i use other 2.7k 30fps found that no issue. Actually it was phantom 4. My other mavic pro no problem all test ok.
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Lay Posted at 2017-11-6 04:41
Thank you once again for all the support Thor. Got the Mavic, remote etc. and tested it couple of times. Despite the windy weather (and all the high wind warnings) everything seems to work now.

This time the warranty repair was handled superbly. On a scale of 1-10 I would say 10+. Thank you DJI

I am so happy to hear the good news, you are welcome, this is what I should do.
Just a word of caution, please avoid flying the drone when there is a strong wind, that would be dangerous.
At last, hope you have a nice time flying, and looking forward to your sharing.
2017-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules