First Spark Crash, I was told you guys were great at analyzing logs.
812 11 2017-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
polishgoku
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46017 ft
United States

I was flying the Spark around my back yard when I noticed it started to ascend at an angle and there was no way for me to stop it. Controller was unresponsive and it ended up crashing right into the side of the house. It landed on it's back and proceeded to go full throttle. One of the arms that the propellers attach to broke.

Opened up a support ticket with DJI. I'll be sending it on a trip to California today.

Below is the log I was able to grab off of the phone. Are there additional logs I could pull before I send it out?

2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash, have you also applied the data analysis when contacting our support? If yes, we will help to make data analysis for this crash is the drone is under warranty, if it's malfunction, we will get your drone repaired with no charge according to our After-sales Policy.
2017-10-11
Use props
polishgoku
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-11 05:35
Sorry to hear about the crash, have you also applied the data analysis when contacting our support? If yes, we will help to make data analysis for this crash is the drone is under warranty, if it's malfunction, we will get your drone repaired with no charge according to our After-sales Policy.

I synced up the flight logs as requested in the DJIgo 4 app when I created the case. Is there anything else I need to do?
2017-10-11
Use props
tedder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91522 ft
United States

I had a "full throttle when turtled" too. People here said that can't happen.
2017-10-11
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

tedder Posted at 2017-10-11 08:29
I had a "full throttle when turtled" too. People here said that can't happen.

That shouldn't happen.  As soon as you tilt it beyond 90 degrees, it should shut motors off.  I'm sure DJI will do good and replace/fix your spark.  Good luck and sorry for your loss.
2017-10-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Ok, the flight record shows first of all show that at take off your Spark was in Atti mode. This might indicate strong interference. From my limited experience my choice would have been to immediately land it again and wait for a stable GPS link or go to a different take off place with less interference. Although your Spark got a GPS link at a later stage it also produced many GPS errors thereafter. And switching to Sport mode after all this had already happened would not have been my choice either.
Anyway you will have to send your Spark in for analysis and repair to DJI, I cross my fingers and wish you good luck!
2017-10-11
Use props
polishgoku
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-10-11 08:59
Ok, the flight record shows first of all that at take off your Spark was in Atti mode. This might indicate strong interference. From my limited experience my choice would have been to immediately land it again and wait for a stable GPS link or go to a different take off place with less interference. Although your Spark got a GPS link at a later stage it also produced many GPS errors thereafter. And switching to Sport mode after all this had already happened would not have been my choice either.
Anyway you will have to send your Spark in for analysis and repair ny DJI, I cross my fingers and wish you good luck!

It's odd..Sometimes it won't get a GPS link until I "take off" and let it hover for a few seconds. At that point the GPS will link and it will say "home point updated". Majority of my flights have been in my backyard though I have seen similar results elsewhere.
2017-10-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

polishgoku Posted at 2017-10-11 09:18
It's odd..Sometimes it won't get a GPS link until I "take off" and let it hover for a few seconds. At that point the GPS will link and it will say "home point updated". Majority of my flights have been in my backyard though I have seen similar results elsewhere.

I trust that others here and DJI can provide you more details. But from all I am reading in this forum, GPS problems at take off time very frequently result in bigger GPS and other problems during flight (as it is well documented in your logfile). There seems to be an issue with your take off location, this is all I can say. If you can still switch on your Spark you might wish to export your black box data with DJI Assistant and make it available to DJI beforehand. This data will allow for much more detailed analysis. By the way, the fact that the engines of your Spark were still running at the end when it was already upside down probably is a result of the crash and physical damage that happened before it went down.
2017-10-11
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

polishgoku Posted at 2017-10-11 09:18

You should always wait for a GPS connection before take off - this will be displayed with the home point on the map and normally happens within a minute of turning the drone on and having at least 8 sat's recorded (though I never take off with less than 12). In short, you had too much interference in the environment where you flew and this also affected your compass positioning. I'm sure you'll get a replacement but before you take off next time check the dBm noise graph in your app and ensure the channels are stable with small green lines of -90 to -100. If you have red lines showing instability then best not to take off in that area. Remember that the Spark uses an enhanced HD WiFi transmission system which is far more susceptible to signal loss and electromagnetic interference + the Spark does not have IMU or compass redundancy so you must ensure you fly in areas with little to no noise - back yards are not the best places for the Spark due to WiFi activity from the houses...
2017-10-11
Use props
tedder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91522 ft
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-10-11 08:33
That shouldn't happen.  As soon as you tilt it beyond 90 degrees, it should shut motors off.  I'm sure DJI will do good and replace/fix your spark.  Good luck and sorry for your loss.

Shouldn't happen. But accelerometers are less than perfect. I suspect it is rejecting rapid changes to sensor values.
2017-10-11
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tedder Posted at 2017-10-11 11:17
Shouldn't happen. But accelerometers are less than perfect. I suspect it is rejecting rapid changes to sensor values.

I agree plus you have to hold the drone at 90 degrees for about 2 seconds to disarm the motors - this seems to have flipped a whole 180 degrees so perhaps there is no emergency shut off in this situ.
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

polishgoku Posted at 2017-10-11 05:37
I synced up the flight logs as requested in the DJIgo 4 app when I created the case. Is there anything else I need to do?

If you had already sent the drone in, we will take care of it and export the data on the drone for the analysis. No worries. If you haven't sent it, you can also export the data out for a backup.
2017-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules