P3 Advanced firmware upgrade issues.
3688 16 2017-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JG-Texas-512
lvl.1
United States

I upgraded firmware (v1.11.20) on P3 Advanced drone, RC, batteries and IOS DJI Go App (v3.1.15). Result was a drone with yellow blinking LEDs and solid red LEDs and a solid “Red” LED by Linking button, RC had Red blinking status LED and IOS DJI Go App showing drone disconnected.  After spending countless hours reading DJI forum posts and watching YouTube videos and trying different things these are the results:

IOS DJI Go App: Scroll to the “DJI Advanced tab” Goes to the screen showing “how to connect” to drone page, pretty much stuck here.

P3 Advanced Drone: LEDs under the engines flashing “Green” and solid “Red”, LED by linking button solid “Green”.

RC: “Green” flashing Status LED.

RC will fire up the engines and move the camera (props removed from drone). App was originally running on an iPad Mini 2, I deleted app (cleared cache and data) and reinstalled did the same on an iPhone 8 Plus, with same end results.  I checked text file after install of firmware on P3A and it said “successful”. On subsequent reinstalls of firmware on drone I get the text file saying “firmware older or the same as installed on drone” or words to that effect. I tried linking RC to Drone using linking button, resetting RC, different iPhone cables, cabling RC to drone, relinking with RC cabled to drone (no DJIGo device). Basically a lot of what has been suggested here in the forum. IOS devices have the latest IOS installed.

Any ideas or suggestions? My last resort to install the previous firmware.  But I am trying to avoid that.  If I am successful in installing previous firmware, will there be issues using the IOS DJI Go App (v3.1.15)? Also is v1.10.0090 the previous version, I found  a link to this version in one of the posts in this forum?  I wasn't able to verify from DJI's website. Is there a link to access previous firmware releases?

Sorry about the long ramblinng post, just trying to provide as much information as I can.

Thanks in advance…

2017-10-11
Use props
Nelsonlee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

Here you are 1.10.90
2017-10-11
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Think youll need to update the tx as well then relink the a/c and tx....
2017-10-11
Use props
JG-Texas-512
lvl.1
United States

I tried downgrading the firmware to v. 1.10.90 and it failed. Below is the message written to the P3S_FW_RESULT_AB file:

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.10.0090.bin
Result: Abort.
The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.
2017-10-11
Use props
JG-Texas-512
lvl.1
United States

Yes, the firmware has a .bin extension and the 3S_FW_DEBUG has no .txt extension. The root contains these two files and an DCIM empty folder.
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sir, the current firmware does not support to downgrade. I would recommend you to remove the SD card and re-plug the pins on the side of the gimbal.
2017-10-11
Use props
JG-Texas-512
lvl.1
United States

I did as you (DJI Susan) recommended and the issue still persists,  Any other suggestions?  Thanks
2017-10-12
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

JG-Texas-512 Posted at 2017-10-12 06:14
I did as you (DJI Susan) recommended and the issue still persists,  Any other suggestions?  Thanks

Ok, not sure this will help, but I the way I understand it, if you have the later firmware installed, it will not allow you to roll back like we used to be able to. Here is a link to a website that claims to have a procedure to do that. I have not tried it. I have a P3A but have remained back on firmware 1.09 for a number of reasons, but have kept this link in case I would upgrade and have trouble.
Try at your own risk.Roll back firmware
2017-10-13
Use props
fansbb1c909b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 230203 ft

United States

You can’t roll back. There is a newer .bin file under support, I just went through this awful thing and DJI walked me through it. Format your SD card, or start with a new one. Unzip the upgrade file and copy ONLY the new .bin file (ends in .20), to the card and put the card into the drone’s SD slot. Power everything off. Power on your tx, then power on the drone. It may take half an hour or more to install— if you get any solid red lights on the arms, take something skinny like a toothpick or the tip of a pen and press in the small button just next to the tiny light on the side of the gimbal, and hold it in for 5 seconds. When the update is finished, the drone will reboot and bind to the tx. You should now have a green light on the tx. If you have extra batteries, update each one by powering off the drone and swapping each one out and wait for the green light on the tx and gimbal to proceed.
DJI has written a consumer screwjob into their firmware as of the June, 2016 upgrade that prevents the use of any non-oem flight batteries. I have several expensive paperweights now because of this. My aftermarket batteries all worked perfectly before they did this, and the drone is long out of warranty— I bought it as a wreck, rebuilt it, and after another mishap the shell was trash, so I had to buy a new one and rebuild.the drone again. It flies very nicely with the DJI battery, gives all kinds or error messages like esc, which the tech rep indicated a bad motherboard, along with the - DJI intelligent battery dete., flight prevented,” I’ve gotten gps and compass errors, they’re making damn sure to screw those of us who have bought third party batteries over. I was hoping by now, 18 months later, that somebody would have come up with a firmware patch to fix this, but all I see on the blogs are postings telling us to use only DJI branded flight packs. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” My advice to DJI is, “if it ain’t broke, don’t break it.” My P3P today is a wonderful bird, but for this neat little wrench DJI has thrown into the works. I have 9 drones today, and with the upcoming winter, a couple may hit the auction block......if I can’t find a solution to this problem DJI has created, the P3P will likely be the first to go. I also have a P4, non pro, and love it= the 3 batteries are all oem, so I don’t know if this screwjob also carries over to that series.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated. EBay and Amazon are flooded with $40 “decoded” third party batteries ~~ so what can I do to recover the ones I have now collecting dust on my coffee table?
Douggieboy in Providence thanks you. Happy droning....
2017-10-21
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

fansbb1c909b Posted at 2017-10-21 06:48
You can’t roll back. There is a newer .bin file under support, I just went through this awful thing and DJI walked me through it. Format your SD card, or start with a new one. Unzip the upgrade file and copy ONLY the new .bin file (ends in .20), to the card and put the card into the drone’s SD slot. Power everything off. Power on your tx, then power on the drone. It may take half an hour or more to install— if you get any solid red lights on the arms, take something skinny like a toothpick or the tip of a pen and press in the small button just next to the tiny light on the side of the gimbal, and hold it in for 5 seconds. When the update is finished, the drone will reboot and bind to the tx. You should now have a green light on the tx. If you have extra batteries, update each one by powering off the drone and swapping each one out and wait for the green light on the tx and gimbal to proceed.
DJI has written a consumer screwjob into their firmware as of the June, 2016 upgrade that prevents the use of any non-oem flight batteries. I have several expensive paperweights now because of this. My aftermarket batteries all worked perfectly before they did this, and the drone is long out of warranty— I bought it as a wreck, rebuilt it, and after another mishap the shell was trash, so I had to buy a new one and rebuild.the drone again. It flies very nicely with the DJI battery, gives all kinds or error messages like esc, which the tech rep indicated a bad motherboard, along with the - DJI intelligent battery dete., flight prevented,” I’ve gotten gps and compass errors, they’re making damn sure to screw those of us who have bought third party batteries over. I was hoping by now, 18 months later, that somebody would have come up with a firmware patch to fix this, but all I see on the blogs are postings telling us to use only DJI branded flight packs. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” My advice to DJI is, “if it ain’t broke, don’t break it.” My P3P today is a wonderful bird, but for this neat little wrench DJI has thrown into the works. I have 9 drones today, and with the upcoming winter, a couple may hit the auction block......if I can’t find a solution to this problem DJI has created, the P3P will likely be the first to go. I also have a P4, non pro, and love it= the 3 batteries are all oem, so I don’t know if this screwjob also carries over to that series.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated. EBay and Amazon are flooded with $40 “decoded” third party batteries ~~ so what can I do to recover the ones I have now collecting dust on my coffee table?

I would leave the RC off when updating the firmware on the phantom, when the update has finished turn it off and then restart turning on RC as well.
2017-10-21
Use props
colobus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45417 ft
Australia

I'm having exactly the same issues. Have tried all options that I've seen on these forums. Cant get past the "Equipment" stage on the AP that has been reloaded onto my mini iPad, and freshly loaded to an Android, i.e. separate devices. different cables that have always worked before  The problem started with a firmware upgrade y'day to the RC,  before which the craft was flying just fine and had not crashed nor had any hard landings. Thanks DJI.
2017-10-21
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84902 ft
Bulgaria

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-11 20:34
Sir, the current firmware does not support to downgrade. I would recommend you to remove the SD card and re-plug the pins on the side of the gimbal.

So who owns our drones?  Why can't we downgrade our instruction if WE WANT TO, Not on, mr DJI!
2017-10-22
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They don't want you to be doing anything stupid with your drone- as a manfacturer they are responsible for making safer items.
2017-10-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JG-Texas-512 Posted at 2017-10-12 06:14

Generally, the firmware update will not cause hardware issue, while hardware glitches can not detected during the update. For the issue you mentioned, it might be the hardware issue, please send it in for fully diagnosis: http://www.dji.com/support
BTW, please click the Reply button under my reply, so that I can handle it timely. Thanks for cooperation.
2017-10-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

colobus Posted at 2017-10-21 18:47
I'm having exactly the same issues. Have tried all options that I've seen on these forums. Cant get past the "Equipment" stage on the AP that has been reloaded onto my mini iPad, and freshly loaded to an Android, i.e. separate devices. different cables that have always worked before  The problem started with a firmware upgrade y'day to the RC,  before which the craft was flying just fine and had not crashed nor had any hard landings. Thanks DJI.

Sorry about the inconvenience first, but I do not think the issue was caused by firmware update. If you have tried all troubleshooting and the issue remains, I'll recommend you to send it in for repair: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-10-24
Use props
JG-Texas-512
lvl.1
United States

Update: Drone and RC were sent back to DJI and issue has been resolved.  I do not know what the issue was, only that my RC was replaced.  Drone s back in the air.  :-) The whole process took 9 days.
2017-11-2
Use props
TR160
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222684 ft
United States

I have the same issues on my P3P. I've tried everything with no success, my RC will communicate with AC and move gimbal, start motors, record etc... but with no video or link to mobile device. I've invested in 4 iPads, 1 Samsung tablet and a new iPhone after first being told to try different devices and USB cables, now I have spare iPads for life. I paid $55 to have it looked at by DJI tech in the San Francisco store and was told my RC failed. When I questioned that and asked about all the others posting online with similar issues he said they were just a coincidence and "maybe all failed around the same time"... interesting.

I've already posted about this on DJI GO V3.1.18 page, link is below, I'll let you know what the fix is when I get it back, I'm sending it in to DJI for repair.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... amp;fromuid=1055628
2017-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules