4.1.10 Android - a pat on the back for DJI
1133 11 2017-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Today I flew, for the first time, after the update to 4.1.10 .
That was my best flying experience since buying the Spark.

First, as I said in another thread - the issue of compatibility with right-to-left phones has been fully resolved!
Today I was able to test it not only in the menus, but also on the flight screen itself. All the buttons are where they should be, and the flight data is on the screen. I'm finally able to see my alt/velocity/distance, and access all the buttons, without having to switch language in my phone.
I'm really happy and encouraged by this, not only because it greatly improves my user experience - but also because it shows that DJI has been listening to our feedback. I doubt they could have known this without feedback from us right-to-leftists.
Not only that - they took a problem that affected only a minority of the users (Hebrew/Arabic/Persian speakers), and wasn't actually mission critical, and fixed it - because they realized it bothered us and dented our user experience.
So well done DJI on that one!

Perhaps even more important: until now, my geriatric LG G3 had trouble with overheating and battery drainage with the app. Today, for the first time, it seems those issues were mitigated.
Granted, the weather was much cooler today than it was last week during my previous flight; But my feeling is there's more to it than that. Seems they've done some performance optimization on the app, that enables it to run its tasks more efficiently and use less of the phone's resources. Just a feeling.
I still get some intrermittent disconnections between my phone and the RC (this I blame my phone for), but it was more stable this time than previously. It's probably linked to that as well - my phone still struggles with its very limited resources compared to newer devices, but not as much as it used to.

Credit where credit is due! DJI really came through this time.

Add to that I now have an extra battery, and that I flew in Tel Aviv for the first time (pics and vids to follow) - and it all comes down to a very positive experience.

2017-10-11
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree, the App is more responsive and working better for me.  Still needing the OTG cable and happy DJI didn't figure a way to disable that option.
2017-10-11
Use props
Unknown User
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63615 ft
Hong Kong

I have a question, not meaning to take over your thread but since you guys are running the new app. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4)  I read the following:

"Spark:
1. Added Dynamic Home Point updating (with firmware v01.00.0700 or above).
2. Optimized image transmission quality.
3. Added a 3s countdown for QuickShot or ShallowFocus.
4. Added manual locking for transmission frequencies and channels.
Mavic (with firmware v01.04.0000 or above):
1. Added QuickShot mode.
2. Added Dynamic Home Point updating.
General:
Streamlined the login and registration process."

But my drone doesn't try to update to v01.00.0700. It still stays an older version. Connecting to the RC both through wifi and the OTG cable as well.
2017-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Unknown User Posted at 2017-10-11 10:42
I have a question, not meaning to take over your thread but since you guys are running the new app. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4)  I read the following:

"Spark:

It hasn’t been released yet, expecting it soon.
2017-10-11
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

Lucky for you that the new version works. Unfortunately not everybody has so much luck. As I report in another thread - for me the new version does not work AT ALL.
2017-10-11
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

_pk Posted at 2017-10-11 11:55
Lucky for you that the new version works. Unfortunately not everybody has so much luck. As I report in another thread - for me the new version does not work AT ALL.

Yes, I read your thread. Strange that you have such a negative experience when mine is so positive.
I guess that's the price of an open system like Android and the diversity it creates sometimes. What's right for one device may be wrong for another.
I hope they fix whatever is wrong with compatibility for your device soon.
2017-10-11
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

No change here either - scrambled video and nothing but disconnects.
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad some of you solve the problems. And users who have trouble with video or disconnection, please tell me your app's version and the model of mobile devices. Thanks for the cooperation.
2017-10-11
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-11 13:48
No change here either - scrambled video and nothing but disconnects.

Are you using an OTG Cable?  if not try one.
2017-10-11
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-10-11 20:47
Are you using an OTG Cable?  if not try one.

That may be right. During my flight that I really enjoyed, i used OTG and totally switched off WiFi and Bluetooth. But that's just me and my old G3, I don't trust its WiFi client to carry out this type of task.
2017-10-12
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

Today I flew again. I still get some disconnections (and with them the scrambled video on the phone that others talked about), and when connection is recovered, the photo and video buttons react with very big delays.
Perhaps the biggest issue in that regard is that even after recovery, the compass readout on the map is not being properly updated. Today I got to a point in which the Spark was still in sight, but too small to tell exactly where it was facing from eyesight. When I tried yawing, the direction readout on the map wouldn't updated. I had to perform my compass-loss procedure by vision.... fly, yaw, fly again, yaw... until it got close enough for me to see more detailed features and know where Spark was facing. That was not nice.
However, just the fact that I'm able to fly properly with fewer worries - drain less of my phone battery, not have it overheat to the point where it might switch itself off, have all the buttons and telemetry where they're supposed to be with the resolution of right-to-left compatibility - 4.1.10 is still a big improvement in my flying experience.
2017-10-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
France

I have had the first opportunity to test it today and erverythings was really well. Couldn't test the new features yet though.
2017-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules