Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic in Strong Winds ?
204 14 4 days ago
Sportbike_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478762
United States

Not a perfect day today; Flew today in 16-20 mph winds out in open waters (usually don't fly over10 mph) winds. Intentionally wanted to fly to see how the Mavic was able to handle strong winds (Sport-m) and it definitely held up impressively! Got many warnings but wanted to put it through the paces. Wow, Mavic is truly supreme in windy conditions (fly at your own risk) !
Have you flown in these kind of windy conditions or even higher wind conditions ?
4 days ago
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 1017162
United States

I was ok with it until you said "open waters"
4 days ago
Use props
djiuser_rx1iQ3D
lvl.1
United States

I just bought a propeller cage for my drone and didn't think about the wind conditions. It was 19 mph. The drone struggled and would not fly back to me but instead kept drifting away where it crashed into a tree and luckily this black lady was cool enough to wait for me to come get it.  I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me.
4 days ago
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

I just bought a propeller cage for my drone and didn't think about the wind conditions. It was 19 mph. The drone struggled and would not fly back to me but instead kept drifting away where it crashed into a tree and luckily this black lady was cool enough to wait for me to come get it.  I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me.
4 days ago
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39271
United States

Cornel J Posted at 2017-10-12 11:29

Prop guards act like sails pretty much on any drone. Keep it lean & mean !
4 days ago
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 131273
United States

I am continually surprised how stable my Mavic Pro is in high wind conditions.
4 days ago
Use props
DJI-Mark
Canada

Flying over water can have it's own types of challenges. Be sure to read the manual about flying over water as it can have an affect on how your aircraft is performing.
4 days ago
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 484898
Brazil

On my trip to Aruba there were  22+mph winds and the Mavic flew flawlessly. I had to take some time to get used to fly always in sport mode but I had no issues. Be aware to always start your flight upwind so you can bring it back very quickly... :-)
And forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions...
4 days ago
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-12 11:22
I was ok with it until you said "open waters"

....decided that if anything went wrong, it's better that it lands in water.
4 days ago
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_rx1iQ3D Posted at 2017-10-12 11:25

"I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me."

Did you have it in sport-mode? I found the MP very stable in S-mode; on P-mode, it does drift. Agreed, when MP fights the wind the battery juice lessens.
4 days ago
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-12 12:26
Flying over water can have it's own types of challenges. Be sure to read the manual about flying over water as it can have an affect on how your aircraft is performing.

I read the manual twice even before I even owned a MP.

You better believe that flying over water for a mile or two out if going to have an effect on the Mavic in windy conditions. Wind conditions in high or low attitude also plays into the flight.

Few times I had to adjust accordingly to work my way back to base. I also kept the MP closer and didn't venture out as I normally would b/c of the windy conditions.
4 days ago
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Second Officer
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-12 12:28
On my trip to Aruba there were  22+mph winds and the Mavic flew flawlessly. I had to take some time to get used to fly always in sport mode but I had no issues. Be aware to always start your flight upwind so you can bring it back very quickly... :-)
And forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions...

"forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions..."

100% agree; all the extra stuff will bring more drag and lessen flight time.  And, yeah if a pilot is inexperienced, definitely shouldn't be flying in these types of windy conditions. Wow you dealt with 22 mph, now that's windy. Good stuff if you were able to successfully fly in those conditions.

As you know, anyone flying in these conditions is taking a risk.
4 days ago
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 1017162
Canada

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-12 14:49
....decided that if anything went wrong, it's better that it lands in water.

That would be a hard choice, but I guess it all depends on the circumstances.
4 days ago
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Japan

I flew the Mavic in a very strong wind condition once, trees swaying very hardly around on the top of the mountain, but I didn't wanna miss the scenery coz I knew that I might not have the chance to go back there again, so I decided to take off. Surprisingly, Mavic performed very well.
But anyway, we don't recommend flying the drone when wind speed exceeds 10m/s. Take care.
4 days ago
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 484898
Brazil

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-12 15:09
"forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions..."

100% agree; all the extra stuff will bring more drag and lessen flight time.  And, yeah if a pilot is inexperienced, definitely shouldn't be flying in these types of windy conditions. Wow you dealt with 22 mph, now that's windy. Good stuff if you were able to successfully fly in those conditions.

I was very scared to fly, but when I arrived in an iconic location with an old lighthouse there was a guy flying a Mavic (definitively he was much more experienced than me), and another flying a GoPro Karma... the Mavic eas flying very well but the Karma seemed to struggle... I couldn't be there just watching them to fly in a beautiful sunset!! After this first windy flight, I started to build some more confidence to fly in such conditions. And yes, sure I was taking a risk.... Soon I'll be posting all the beautiful footage I was able to capture in Aruba, and you can decide if the risk was worth!! :-)
4 days ago
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next