Mavic in Strong Winds ?
9697 52 2017-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
United States

I've flown lots of times in high winds.  The first time is always a bit scary.  I found the Mavic to fly like a champ in winds in general.   You after some experimentation get to just be able to 'know' if it is too windy or not. The mavic can handle VERY well in the wind- so much so that almost no day is too windy.  Of course heed the good advice of using Sport Mode and read your telemetry very closely (eg. the distance away/to) and always PLAN YOUR FLIGHT - anticipate problems and have a safe landing area picked out just in case the wind gets you by surprise.  Always fly against the wind initially to gauge it's relative strength.  Of course, Safety First...there will always be a calmer day to fly if it is too windy.  I've often got the high wind warning and it is important for sure to be extra cautious when you get the warning.  When I do, I usually will lower it's altitude if I can or greatly limit my flight times.  It is one reason why carrying several spare batteries is a good idea.  I always plan to be landed with about 30 % bat to spare, give or take,. especially if it is a bit windy.  But rest assured, the Mavic is a competent flyer in the wind, kudos to DJI.  
2017-11-30
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-11-30 23:56
I've flown lots of times in high winds.  The first time is always a bit scary.  I found the Mavic to fly like a champ in winds in general.   You after some experimentation get to just be able to 'know' if it is too windy or not. The mavic can handle VERY well in the wind- so much so that almost no day is too windy.  Of course heed the good advice of using Sport Mode and read your telemetry very closely (eg. the distance away/to) and always PLAN YOUR FLIGHT - anticipate problems and have a safe landing area picked out just in case the wind gets you by surprise.  Always fly against the wind initially to gauge it's relative strength.  Of course, Safety First...there will always be a calmer day to fly if it is too windy.  I've often got the high wind warning and it is important for sure to be extra cautious when you get the warning.  When I do, I usually will lower it's altitude if I can or greatly limit my flight times.  It is one reason why carrying several spare batteries is a good idea.  I always plan to be landed with about 30 % bat to spare, give or take,. especially if it is a bit windy.  But rest assured, the Mavic is a competent flyer in the wind, kudos to DJI.

"You after some experimentation get to just be able to 'know' if it is too windy or not. "

Yeah agree. I've had those days where I just nope not today ...it's too windy. The other day the wind was blowing so hard the light pole was moving...well...that was enough of a signal for me to can the flight.

I do the same and adjust the altitude if need be and keep it close.
2017-12-1
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-1 06:10
"You after some experimentation get to just be able to 'know' if it is too windy or not. "

I think back to my first drone - the Parrot.  What a joke, in the wind or not   But at least she FLIPS!
2017-12-1
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

Wind worries me, I rarely fly if its more then 15mph. Especially since Im always flying at a beach and near water.

that being said, in Florida last year I tested my phantom 3 standard in 35mph winds on the beach after a hurricane and besides drifting a couple feet here and there it was very impressive. I wouldn't even think to try that with the Mavic being its so small.
2017-12-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ny300z Posted at 2017-12-1 07:28
Wind worries me, I rarely fly if its more then 15mph. Especially since Im always flying at a beach and near water.

that being said, in Florida last year I tested my phantom 3 standard in 35mph winds on the beach after a hurricane and besides drifting a couple feet here and there it was very impressive. I wouldn't even think to try that with the Mavic being its so small.

MP I think handles very well with 15-20 mph winds...the thing to watch out for are those serious burst of wind gusts.

When windy I don't stray too far out because if it's flying into strong headwinds, and it's really struggling and low on battery, you need to say a few prayers.

In windy conditions, I'd highly recommend staying within a short radius. Play it safe.
2017-12-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-12-1 07:16
I think back to my first drone - the Parrot.  What a joke, in the wind or not   But at least she FLIPS!

haha yeah recalls those. Sure do flip with ease.

Oh my ....couple times I flew a SYMA x8 ....that thing started to go South and away with the winds..I was like hey come back!
2017-12-1
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-1 10:46
MP I think handles very well with 15-20 mph winds...the thing to watch out for are those serious burst of wind gusts.

When windy I don't stray too far out because if it's flying into strong headwinds, and it's really struggling and low on battery, you need to say a few prayers.

thats good to know about the MP!  I try to check the winds at different altitudes before flying for those gusts.

I think what scares me with the Mavic is the warning it gives about the wind. It may just be a heads up but i kind of get sketched out by it.
2017-12-1
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

djiuser_rx1iQ3D Posted at 2017-10-12 11:25
I just bought a propeller cage for my drone and didn't think about the wind conditions. It was 19 mph. The drone struggled and would not fly back to me but instead kept drifting away where it crashed into a tree and luckily this black lady was cool enough to wait for me to come get it.  I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me.

Prop cage add so much drag to your quad... why would you use it in open areas? This is supposed to use on indoor flights where there's no wind at all...
2017-12-1
Use props
fans8b236542
lvl.3
France

Flew a few times in “high” wind: MP started drifting away and I didn’t even think about going into sports mode.
Had to lower it below the trees to get it back home.
Will try the sports mode then!
2017-12-1
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans8b236542 Posted at 2017-12-1 13:49
Flew a few times in “high” wind: MP started drifting away and I didn’t even think about going into sports mode.

Try it..that Sport-mode does wonders.
2017-12-1
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

fans8b236542 Posted at 2017-12-1 13:49

Sport Mode in high wind = 100% necessary .  Also never do RTH in high winds- or at least watch your RC's indication of distance from home.  If the distance is approaching you (decreasing) when not in Sport Mode, then you must cancel the RTH and continue manually in Sport Mode (if for some reason you do not know your heading b/c you are not VLOS, then switch to Radar view and follow your path trace home.). Piece of cake.
2017-12-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Some thoughts about sport mode I had some windy flights and what impresses me is Mavic is fighting the wind Very well even in P mode - going faster than normal against air. If Airdata wind speed measurements are correct (i doubt it ) my Mavic reaches over 70 km/h in P mode (30+ km/h on a GPS plus > 40 km/h headwind!).
In sport mode, it reached up to 50 km/h in nearly same conditions (but Airdata not measuring wind then).
Strongest gust I see in Airdata ar ~60km/h on a fairly calm day on a mountain so i am not sure about accuracy, but it's possible as I was passing a ridge around 3 km away of me.
Generally, I am scared of flying in high wind as being former paragliding pilot i do not like them
2017-12-1
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i fly often in pretty heavy wind. i consider it a miracle that i did not loose my drone in the wind yet, especially in the beginning. Had a few close calls though.
2017-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules