Why Spark sometimes takes time to find GPS
2945 8 2017-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I've heard this mentioned a couple of times on the forum.

Why does the Spark often take a while to acquire a GPS signal ?

I have a answer, well sort of. Of course trees and buildings will affect your ability to acquire a GPS signal but there is a little unknown fact about GPS that people have seen to forgotten.

Do you remember before we had fancy mobile phones that had data connections ? When you had a GPS unit in the car ? It would often take 3-5 mins to lock on to a GPS signal?
This is because when you first start a GPS device that not connected to the internet or a cell tower it firsts has to acquire special data files named Almanac and Ephemeris.

The data is sent out every 30 seconds, but the GPS device first has to read the Almanac for *each* satellite and then the Ephemeris data after that for an exact lock. The data is valid for 30 mins, so this is why if you turned off your device and turn it back on it doesn’t require as long to sync GPS lock again!

When it comes to mobile phones, google maps and mobile phone providers cache this information at the local cell tower locations for general use (why your phone is quick to pick this up). My guess is that if your phone connection is slow or in airplane mode the spark has to collect the Almanac and Ephemeris data manually which is why sometimes it can take for ever for the GPS lock to happen.

for an old article about it.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for sharing this. And if it takes a long time to acquire a GPS signal or search satellites, pilots might need to move the drone to a wide area, sometimes different period of time and type of weather might also affect the capacity of searching satellites.
2017-10-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's not just the sparks that does this, your location have a lot to do to about it.
2017-10-12
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

RE: Why Spark sometimes takes time to find GPS

I have wondered why when swapping to a new battery it connects to GPS almost instantly, but when flying with the first battery at a new location it takes FOREVER. Thanks for the info.
2017-10-12
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

When i struggle with GPS I move the drone, it could be 1 metre or 10 but it always seems to find GPS after that.
2017-10-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for this
2017-10-12
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

It's spark takes more time than other Dji drone?
2017-10-13
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is great information - thanks for sharing.
2017-10-13
Use props
Rolito Tingzon
New

Philippines

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-12 18:48
It's not just the sparks that does this, your location have a lot to do to about it.

Lucas but how is that when mine was new connection was fast now it takes sometimes 20% battery before gps connection ...and yes after switching to fresh battery its connected immediatly
2018-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules