Goodbye to the gimbal?
503 5 2017-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
userb2c786fe73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1033 ft
United Kingdom

My garmin virb 360 arrives today and the plan is to attach it beneath my Mavic (have the 3D printed attachment thingy) to see how it perfoms. Which gets me to thinking, why bother with a gimbal stabilized camera at all? For drones like the Spark and Mavic, in the not too distant future these 360 cams are going to be routinely shooting something like 24k or more and can be stabilised etc in post. I’m sure many others have had the same thoughts - if I were the boss of Dji it’s where I’d be investigating - GoPro are on the way already with their Karma.
2017-10-13
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

You can always stabilize in post processing. It takes some of the 'crispyness' though. I prefer analogue stabilization with the gimbal.
2017-10-13
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Stabilising in post is always going to reduce quality and reduce the resolution - and the bumpier it is the more resolution loss you'll get as it crops.
That means no matter what camera you have onboard you'll never be able to film at the full resolution.
You just can't beat an actual physically stabilised camera.  I dont think you ever will.
2017-10-13
Use props
userb2c786fe73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1033 ft
United Kingdom

Not in the case of the Garmin - check it out - no cropping or quality loss, uses its gyro and accelorometer
2017-10-13
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

gnirtS Posted at 2017-10-13 03:22
Stabilising in post is always going to reduce quality and reduce the resolution - and the bumpier it is the more resolution loss you'll get as it crops.
That means no matter what camera you have onboard you'll never be able to film at the full resolution.
You just can't beat an actual physically stabilised camera.  I dont think you ever will.

agree with you .. nothing will ever film at the full resolution...need some stabilization
2017-10-13
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wouldn't stabilise in post unless I'm prepared to lose res...
2017-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules