8856 11 2017-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ninjapimp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 198222 ft
United States

hello
I normally use my drone to take pictures but recently I've started using it for 4k video footage as my company is requesting I use it to do site survey of their facilities.

so when i noticed flickering int he videos, I google it and noticed tons of threads about this problem. I have tried various suggestions and programs like flickerfree plugin and neat video which claim to remove flickering but in the end dont see to deliver on the promise. I also tried recording video at various settings, changing sharpness, shooting in d-log and various combinations.

let me say this the flickering is exacerbated by what you capture, meaning its mroe noticeable on certain terrains like flying over water or grass fields vs in the city and or high contrast areas.

what I'd like to know is it possible to 100% eliminate the flickering>? i am dumb founded dji releases a product that seems to be plagued by flickering as by looking at the threads, happens on maverick, p4 series and even the expensive dji inspire 2. if this issue is so well known and mentioned in so many forums, why does dji not correct this flaw?

sadly the footage for me is hard to correct or remove the flickering for the videos and its nearly in all of them which to say the least has dissapointed my employer - all i could tell him its a flaw of DJI, its in the raw footage. the flickering is not introduced in post or editing or anything, straight from the drone the flickering is obvious.

if anyone can shed thoughts on how to correct and or prevent it I'd be greatful as my google effortds turned up nothing and that flickerfree plugin was like $130 so not cheap and did not 100% solve the issue plus adds hours of time to correct the video which still suffers from flickering..

I have a friend who has a dji inspire 2 - but he uses it only for photos. i mentioned the flickering to him so we fly it, shot video and sure enough it flickered, he was dumb struck and puzzled as to how a $4000 drone rig could suffer from such a simple fatal flaw.

2017-10-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

What type of aircraft are you flying?  Can you post a video on what you are seeing? Please make sure that you have the latest firmware on the aircraft.
2017-10-13
Use props
ninjapimp
lvl.1
United States

p4p, latest firmware installed.
flickering easy to reproduce, happens on on anything i record. funny thing is when i goggle this problem its apparently a very common problem and a limitation of all dji phantom drones, mavericks and inspires.

above is a classic example -

here is another where the h.264 intra frame flicker is talked about

so i've bought these plugins and apps to try and correct/remove the flickering but the end result is terrible imo as it introduces noise and smearing.

i record at 4k in mov format since i have a mac. and every single video footage i've taken seems to suffer from this h.264 intra frame flicker.

2017-10-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

First of all you need to be specific about what you call flickering, and where it is in the example video you posted. I saw all sorts of things happening in that clip, most of which could have been avoided.
2017-10-13
Use props
ninjapimp
lvl.1
United States

you got to be joking me. you mean after looking at the video you dont notice it at all??
the flickering is 100% obvious theres a second video that documents the issue and how he uses an app to correct the problem.

flickering occurs due to h.264 intra frame flicker - its now a100% known issue with dji drones due to its compression algorithm.
i've been doing research and it seems raising sharpness +1 and using nd filters helps reduce the flicker.

i've been eidting my videos and each one at some point shows the problem, it may not appear 100%, thats because the situation is not ideal for the flicker to appear, the video explains when its most common.
2017-10-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-10-13 16:13
you got to be joking me. you mean after looking at the video you dont notice it at all??
the flickering is 100% obvious theres a second video that documents the issue and how he uses an app to correct the problem.

Aloha ninja,

What frame rate are you using?  24 FPS?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Two things that can be done to reduce prop flicker in the bright sun light.
Turn the camera down slightly, or buy a petal lens hood.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-10-13 16:13

'you got to be joking me. you mean after looking at the video you dont notice it at all??''

You come here with attitude? Wow. Good luck with that, and I hope you find someone who will help you despite the attitude. I won't, when simply asking you to define your problem clearly produces that sort of response.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please help to upload the original video from SD card to Dropbox, I'll download the original version to check or forward to our engineers to look into. Besides, please name the firmware version also, you can check the version by this route: connect drone, RC and app, enter device, General Settings, About. Thank you.
2017-10-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you share one of the original clips from the SD card I will be happy to look at it.
2017-10-14
Use props
Sherad
New
Flight distance : 153310 ft

Philippines

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-13 15:55
First of all you need to be specific about what you call flickering, and where it is in the example video you posted. I saw all sorts of things happening in that clip, most of which could have been avoided.

Hi! I've got the same problem with my videos taken by P4 advance. Hope you can help me. I can't attached .mp4 here, says it's not supported. So, like put a link here. Thanks! here
2019-11-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sherad Posted at 11-23 22:04
Hi! I've got the same problem with my videos taken by P4 advance. Hope you can help me. I can't attached .mp4 here, says it's not supported. So, like put a link here. Thanks! here

Sorry, but there is no link in your post.
2019-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules