DJI - New Feature Request
1051 15 2017-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

This could also apply to other drones such as the Mavic but it would be really nice to have an advanced flight mode that just sets a nominated speed.
Older technology has separate RCs for mode 1 and mode 2 with a ratchet throttle where the speed could remain set.
Many of the existing advanced flight modes are able to control the speed so it should be simple to have a mode that just allows you to set a speed and maintain it while concentrating on other flying/videoing tasks.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I don't know if a Tap Fly is what you want to some extent?
2017-10-14
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

How about just having a "Maximum Speed" setting that changes the scaling on the right stick for all modes?

For example it would help a lot when using Course Lock mode and you only want to fly slowly, your main concentration then is on pointing the camera in the correct direction so controlling speed at the same time can be difficult.
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-10-14 00:49
How about just having a "Maximum Speed" setting that changes the scaling on the right stick for all modes?

Nigel, your suggestion will be forwarded to our engineers. Thanks for your attention.
2017-10-14
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-14 00:02
I don't know if a Tap Fly is what you want to some extent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHXTrECkAQ

No, Tapfly isn’t really the answer because you don’t have any control over the speed and you have to pre determine the route. Sometimes you want to quickly change the direction but not the speed. There are also times when I want to fly a constant speed and concentrate on the video but in many cases, the speed either increases or slows down as it is difficult to hold the stick in an exact position for any length of time.  I would just like an option to “set speed”.
2017-10-14
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-10-14 00:49

For example it would help a lot when using Course Lock mode and you only want to fly slowly, your main concentration then is on pointing the camera in the correct direction so controlling speed at the same time can be difficult.

Not sure that would work for Mode 1 as the left stick controls speed. There are already some flight modes where the description of how to use the mode is not correct for Mode 1 fliers.
2017-10-14
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-14 14:33
Not sure that would work for Mode 1 as the left stick controls speed. There are already some flight modes where the description of how to use the mode is not correct for Mode 1 fliers.

Sorry, by "mode", I did not mean stick mode but the intelligent modes like active track.

Setting a maximum speed of 5mph would mean that if you push whichever stick is controlling speed to the limit then the aircraft would only do 5mph, push the stick full forward and full left and the aircraft would move diagonally at 5mph, push the stick half way and it would do 2.5mph.

It would make it easy to fly at a known speed since you just move the stick to the limit to get the known speed and it would also be much easier to make smooth movements within a restricted space, we don't always fly 400ft up in the sky and 4Km away, sometimes we are only moving a few meters and flying at 4ft where a top speed of 2mph would be preferable to 20mph.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-14 14:30
No, Tapfly isn’t really the answer because you don’t have any control over the speed and you have to pre determine the route. Sometimes you want to quickly change the direction but not the speed. There are also times when I want to fly a constant speed and concentrate on the video but in many cases, the speed either increases or slows down as it is difficult to hold the stick in an exact position for any length of time.  I would just like an option to “set speed”.

Draw mode is ideal for this as you set the speed and route or waypoints. It would be hard to set a fixed speed in manual control due to external factors such as wind speeds though each flight mode has an approximate max air speed. Good point to raise though.
2017-10-15
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-10-15 01:18
Sorry, by "mode", I did not mean stick mode but the intelligent modes like active track.

Setting a maximum speed of 5mph would mean that if you push whichever stick is controlling speed to the limit then the aircraft would only do 5mph, push the stick full forward and full left and the aircraft would move diagonally at 5mph, push the stick half way and it would do 2.5mph.

OK that would work. Looks like it has been passed to the techos so we might see something eventually.
2017-10-15
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

ACW Posted at 2017-10-15 08:54
Draw mode is ideal for this as you set the speed and route or waypoints. It would be hard to set a fixed speed in manual control due to external factors such as wind speeds though each flight mode has an approximate max air speed. Good point to raise though.

Thanks. I will have a look at this one when we eventually get some fine weather. It might do in the interim but I was hoping for a speed control without the need to have a fixed course.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-14 14:30

I get it, I forward your idea to our engineers to see if it could be available. Thank you.
2017-10-16
Use props
wisnia.sebastia
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Thank you for your suggestion, we will consider  adding  this feature in future releases.
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Hopefully all resources are used to fix outstanding issues before adding more than can go wrong. B)
2017-10-19
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-16 02:44
I get it, I forward your idea to our engineers to see if it could be available. Thank you.

Well I have just given myself the idiot award of the year.
I decided to refresh the firmware in both the RC and drone to see if I could fix the annoying continual reset of the white balance. When I previously used Tapfly, I never had the 3 options for Forward, Backward or Freeform, nor did I get the speed slider.
After refreshing the firmware, Tapfly now works like a dream and does what I need to do perfectly.
As far as the White Balance goes, I have used a very technical solution - a big red sticker on my ipad which says "Check WB".
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-19 19:41
Well I have just given myself the idiot award of the year.
I decided to refresh the firmware in both the RC and drone to see if I could fix the annoying continual reset of the white balance. When I previously used Tapfly, I never had the 3 options for Forward, Backward or Freeform, nor did I get the speed slider.
After refreshing the firmware, Tapfly now works like a dream and does what I need to do perfectly.

Haha, no blaming yourself, I should‘ve added more features about the Tapfly. Actually, our engineers had taken your advice into consideration, see 12#,  maybe more functions will also be available in the future. Besides, our engineers are still working on the white balance that you encountered. I'll help to inform the engineers to escalate the process. Anyway, enjoy your flight.
2017-10-20
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-20 00:43
Haha, no blaming yourself, I should‘ve added more features about the Tapfly. Actually, our engineers had taken your advice into consideration, see 12#,  maybe more functions will also be available in the future. Besides, our engineers are still working on the white balance that you encountered. I'll help to inform the engineers to escalate the process. Anyway, enjoy your flight.

Well I will hang out in hopes of getting the ability to just set the speed. Did some flying today comparing the difference between video taken with tapfly and without and I noticed that if I pan in tapfly, it is jerky. It seems like tapfly just wants to go in a straight line and the drone was fighting the turn.  In addition, my Ipad Mini 4 can't seem to cope with tapfly and video at the same time as the screen was constantly losing part of the picture or the whole picture.
Something else the engineers might consider is removing the low resolution copy of the video on the SD card. This is really a waste of drone resources and a waste of space.
2017-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules