Lot of Luts :)
2161 10 2017-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Has anyone tried Ground Control's color grading luts?  it looks like they have some specifically for the DJI cameras
2017-10-14
Use props
AlexCheckley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

no not yet
2017-10-14
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I also use this for colour correcting my videos - www.logarist.com it has settings for DJI cameras and they have just updated it to use the X7 camera.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Intersting - yet to try it but on the list
2017-10-15
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Aerial-Image Posted at 2017-10-15 08:43
I also use this for colour correcting my videos - www.logarist.com it has settings for DJI cameras and they have just updated it to use the X7 camera.

That looks great but it seems like it would take awhile to understand. I do like its ability to pull back some blown out highlights with there compression curves.  How well does that work?
So if I understand this color correcting correctly it changes the color space of the video so there will not be a color shift after exporting. Like the shift, you get when converting from DNG to sRGB in photoshop

Thanks
2017-10-15
Use props
djiuser_RUbCBul
New

Indonesia

I don't know about  Ground Control's LUT's. But 3D Lut Creator has special LUTs and tutorial for  DJI camera.
2017-10-15
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steve2017Newbie Posted at 2017-10-15 10:32
That looks great but it seems like it would take awhile to understand. I do like its ability to pull back some blown out highlights with there compression curves.  How well does that work?
So if I understand this color correcting correctly it changes the color space of the video so there will not be a color shift after exporting. Like the shift, you get when converting from DNG to sRGB in photoshop

Sort of but if its over-exposed to start with it wont bring it back like magic, you need to shoot in the start with a correct exposure, white balance - frame rate etc - using nd filters to help get this - plus shoot using d-log or cine setting - straight from the camera with no work they will look crap and very washed out and flat - you then need to colour grade to make them pop - it takes a lot of work...but they will look far better. if you just want nice ok videos straight from the camera leave it in auto.
2017-10-16
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I've been using the Ground Control (free) LUTs for both P3P and Go Pro footage. I use these in DaVinci Resolve 14 for color grading. The free ones fine, but a bit saturated for me (it is easy to correct that). Casey Faris has a lot of tutorials out for using these if you a new to this. They are a fast way of getting footage into good shape. You do know that such LUTs (Rec. 709) should go at the end of your correction chain if you want to keep their particular "style".
2017-10-17
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

johnsr Posted at 2017-10-17 01:05
I've been using the Ground Control (free) LUTs for both P3P and Go Pro footage. I use these in DaVinci Resolve 14 for color grading. The free ones fine, but a bit saturated for me (it is easy to correct that). Casey Faris has a lot of tutorials out for using these if you a new to this. They are a fast way of getting footage into good shape. You do know that such LUTs (Rec. 709) should go at the end of your correction chain if you want to keep their particular "style".

Thanks, johnsr

Yes, the free one is oversaturated with a bit to much contrast on both sunny and overcast days.  I have been shooting some test footage using D-LOG (-1,-3,-3) . I have been Backing off the contrast and saturation a bit manually. It looks  good
2017-10-17
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Sounds like you're on the right track. As you have probably discovered the LUTs work best when the exposure is correct.
Have fun!
P.S. You may find when filming buildings, roofs, etc. that -1 on the sharpness isn't quite enough to avoid alaising & Moiré effects, I'm usually shooting DLOG (-2,-3, -3).
2017-10-18
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

johnsr Posted at 2017-10-18 01:23
Sounds like you're on the right track. As you have probably discovered the LUTs work best when the exposure is correct.
Have fun!
P.S. You may find when filming buildings, roofs, etc. that -1 on the sharpness isn't quite enough to avoid alaising & Moiré effects, I'm usually shooting DLOG (-2,-3, -3).

Thanks

yes the Moiré has been a problem I will try backing off the sharpness
2017-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules