Software updates again - flight database - p4p
1340 11 2017-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

We all know the motto “Never touch a running system”, truly very good advice but unfortunately not always easy to follow.

My p4p has always worked fine, an occasional small annoyance, the odd strange or inappropriate warning but then we all get irritable sometimes, it is only human.

Recently my p4p has been telling me I need to update the “flight information data base” or something similar. With trepidation I carried this out this morning and what did you expect? Update carried out following instructions to the letter, using the correct cables, connected to the proper devices. I shut down everything after the update and closed the App (DJI GO 4). I started everything new and what do you know – no gimbal function, a picture yes, but otherwise, dead as a dodo.

I rebooted my iPad, that is, shut it down completely and rebooted the OS. Behold, now it all works perfectly. I have noticed that this has helped in the past with unexpected flight and range limitations and other small problems. May work for some of you too.

2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for sharing your experience. Happy flying and fly safely.
2017-10-14
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-14 05:35
Thanks for sharing your experience. Happy flying and fly safely.

Copy that.
2017-10-14
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I have had to do the same thing with my Crystal Sky. After Update did a factory reset to get it all working again.
2017-10-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Dockater,

The release notes often say to do the final operation you did, a full cold restart.  They also sometimes say to do it a few times.  It appears that some installations go in steps, so you have to do it a few times so it can update in steps.

That P4P is really amazing.  My nVidia Shield K1 finally works completely properly.  What a blast!

Good to hear yours is working to.  Have you tried Tripod with Narrow Sensing yet?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-15
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

QuadKid Posted at 2017-10-14 15:11
I have had to do the same thing with my Crystal Sky. After Update did a factory reset to get it all working again.

Thank heavens that I didn’t have to go quite so far with my iPad, I use it for other things as well. It does seem that some sort of stored information, a register or whatever is only cleared with a hardware/system restart.
2017-10-15
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-15 00:32
Aloha Dockater,

The release notes often say to do the final operation you did, a full cold restart.  They also sometimes say to do it a few times.  It appears that some installations go in steps, so you have to do it a few times so it can update in steps.

Hi Cetacean,

even if it says so in the guidelines rebooting is something that appears to be ignored or forgotten. Perhaps it is often not done because you don't actually update the iPad or control monitor as such. There seems to be some sort of stored information, register or similar that only gets cleared with a hardware/software full reboot. There are masses of complaints about updates, no doubt many of them perfectly valid. But when you read them carefully you can often see where the problem really lies. The DJI products are tremendously complicated, they are at the leading edge of technology and even so affordable (more or less). Despite problems there are a hell of a lot of DJI drones apparently flying around without issues.

It wasn’t so long ago that “Leisure Suit Larry” was the pinnacle of technology, now DJI let you get real close to your neighbours bathroom window with a 5K camera. True, they still have to work a little on the “stealth” aspect.

I too am very happy with my p4p, it beats the hell out of my **** from ****** which spends most of its time flying to and from the workshop still under guarantee.

I have not tried “Tripod with Narrow Sensing” yet, but it is now on my list of things to try. Its time I need to do an update on, maybe finally retire or so.
2017-10-15
Use props
BlueBirdTN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious what will Tripod Mode with Narrow Sensing do for you?
2017-10-15
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-15 02:27
Hi Cetacean,

even if it says so in the guidelines rebooting is something that appears to be ignored or forgotten. Perhaps it is often not done because you don't actually update the iPad or control monitor as such. There seems to be some sort of stored information, register or similar that only gets cleared with a hardware/software full reboot. There are masses of complaints about updates, no doubt many of them perfectly valid. But when you read them carefully you can often see where the problem really lies. The DJI products are tremendously complicated, they are at the leading edge of technology and even so affordable (more or less). Despite problems there are a hell of a lot of DJI drones apparently flying around without issues.

Please dont retire. I did twelve years ago and I have never been busier, so many things to do. Sons, daughters and various others think you have nothing to do so they will ask you to 'help'. I had far more time when I was working two jobs.

2017-10-15
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

BlueBirdTN Posted at 2017-10-15 03:50
Curious what will Tripod Mode with Narrow Sensing do for you?

I have not the faintest idea, but as Cetacean asked me if I had tried it I felt it polite to answer no and to look into it when I have time. Which I will do.

2017-10-15
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Germany

embayweather Posted at 2017-10-15 04:11
Please dont retire. I did twelve years ago and I have never been busier, so many things to do. Sons, daughters and various others think you have nothing to do so they will ask you to 'help'. I had far more time when I was working two jobs.

"The old notion of retirement is dead. It is no longer a day in the distant future when, on reaching retirement age you hang up your suit and never return to the office again." I won’t get out completely, I have just cut back, I still do the things that I can do well and others can’t, and that is appreciated more. The extra time I have, well, you said it, never seems to materialise.

Drone flying take its proportion of my time, it provides an interest, gets me out and about, allows me to see familiar things from a new perspective. It’s a shame it often gets such a dirty write up. It’s a hobby not only for the young. You keep up the flying too.
2017-10-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-15 02:27
Hi Cetacean,

Aloha Dockater,

Your points are well taken.  Back in the day, a cold reboot was the norm.  Now-a-days so many operating systems have managed to avoid that requirement.  But firmware is as far back as the computer based technology goes to our past.  BIOS and CMOS are almost like regular software anymore and firmware reflects it.

So, yes, the cold reboot is a relic but it is important to remember that it is still a tool for manufacturers of computer based technology.  Pass it on when you help others on this Forum.  You saw how it helped you, so you know it can help others.  And how hard is it.  It is interesting that many Forum members state in their comments that when they started their system up the next day, everything worked!  Cold reboot.

Tripod with Narrow Sensing is good fun if you fly in narrow confines.  We fly in tree tunnels here in the jungle.  The normal obstacle avoidance is almost twenty feet wide.  Narrow sensing uses the side infrared sensors and opens the door, so-to-speak, so the P4P can pass inside openings of four to five feet or so.  It will give you 12-15 inches of side clearance when passing through.

Fortunately, the local regulators are learning that drone technology is just like the rest of technology that can be used for "spying".  The regulations already cover drones and when it is pointed out to the regulators (legislators), the bills are usually withdrawn.  

Now the drone operators who are illinformed and want to spy with their drones can be caught violating existing ordinances and statutes.  Good, bust 'em.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules