Feel Cheated
1234Next >
9970 120 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnpolo2000
New

Turkey

After 5 months the release of Inspire 1, they announced this phantom 3 with lightbridge, the same RC as Inspire 1 has, 23 min of flight time  AND 4K cam for only $1200+ ???? comparing to what inpsire 1 offers us for ONLY $3100+ ???

DJI always does this, it is time to move on to other companies, their marketing department and price management sucks big time.

2015-4-8
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Well, it points to an Inspire 2 that should be much more powerful in every respect.
2015-4-8
Use props
johnpolo2000
New

Turkey

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-9 00:41
Well, it points to an Inspire 2 that should be much more powerful in every respect.

Just bought  Inpsire 1. Thats my point. They constantly have releases with major updates on both software and hardware. This pisses a lot of people off. We are talking about $3100 bucks bro. Now you pay $1200 to buy almost the same thing after 5 months??? it means you throw away $1900 in 5 months? what product makes you do this considering the price difference ?
2015-4-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

I don't feel cheated, been enjoying my P2V+ v3.0 and with no issues...anyone buying in the last week or two that was unaware of the rumors or did no research should kick themselves for sure...and technology has to change, that is what consumers want...and I love the price of the new Birds!...who knows, maybe the Inspire will have to take a price hit as the Phantom suits far more folks budgets.
2015-4-8
Use props
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

It'd be nice if DJI had some kind of trade-in program, I'd sell my P2V+ on eBay but I'd be afraid of someone buying it, crashing it, then claiming I sold them a broken drone
2015-4-8
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-9 00:48
I don't feel cheated, been enjoying my P2V+ v3.0 and with no issues...anyone buying in the last week ...

I would imagine the price hit will come, but not before they have the 2 in hand, so to speak.

I don't feel cheated either.  I love my bird and if I upgrade it will be to an Inspire of some flavor depending on when/if I do.  In the mean time my P2V+ v3 will be spending as many possible hours in the sky as the weather and my job permit.
2015-4-8
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi John,
Inspire 1 still has the advantage of a better propulsion system and possible upgradable camera

better propulsion system means you can fly faster and stay still in stronger wind. And the quick release camera can allow you to carry two cameras without carrying two crafts.
2015-4-8
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

johnpolo2000@ho Posted at 2015-4-9 00:44
Just bought  Inpsire 1. Thats my point. They constantly have releases with major updates on both s ...

I see your point about the money as it is a lot and it is an investment.  No doubt.  So I can sympathize with you on that front.  But if you let it get the best of you (it is technology, after all, and it does change literally on a daily basis) your anger will eventually just make it less fun.
2015-4-8
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The Inspire 1 is one hell of a quad - I love mine - but DJI really needs to sort an upgraded camera for the Inspire as a priority, otherwise it's going to be irrelevant to most people looking to get into aerial imaging, when compared to the P3.

Phantom 3 looks awesome though!
2015-4-8
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

DJI-JS Posted at 2015-4-9 00:53
Hi John,
Inspire 1 still has the advantage of a better propulsion system and possible upgradable cam ...

Possible upgrade for camera? It's possible I may win the lotto but I don't buy $3000 dollars in lottery tickets.
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

They did absolutely nothing to mislead you - were you not aware that they introduce new products every 4-6 months AND that they use NSB as one venue to do so.

Honestly, you are being silly. No one forced you to part with your money and a Phantom is not an Inspire.
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

So, let me get this straight. Since having upgrades and new units angers a lot of people, DJI should be more like 3DR and be selling a machine 2 years behind the times?

My iPhone 5 works just fine.

The Inspire is a really fine craft....but I certainly would never have considered buying one unless:
1. I NEEDED it because I do pro work and need to show up with something more serious than a Phantom.
2. Money burns holes in my pocket so I needed to drop 3K+ to impress myself, friends and people in general.

Can you come up with other reasons?

I can't see #3 as being:
3. I sincerely believe that neither DJI nor any other maker will be able to deliver more bang for the buck for the foreseeable future

No other company could provide you the features of the Inspire for less than 5K (or more!). So you could look at it that way - DJI gave you something for 1/2 the price anyone else could deliver it.

I am really amazed that people don't understand the technology behind this stuff. Does DJI have to open it's books to show you how much their costs of components come down and down as they make more of them? Or how their R&D is easier paid for by larger volumes?

They - and you - are driving the pursuit forward. If you don't want to be part of that, then use the age-old advice of waiting 6 months to a year after any release before you buy it.
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJeff1 Posted at 2015-4-9 01:10
Possible upgrade for camera? It's possible I may win the lotto but I don't buy $3000 dollars in lo ...

Users have been requesting this feature.  I am not sure it it will happen but as you have seen it has been discussed.
2015-4-8
Use props
go4two
lvl.2

United States

So fellers, I bought my Phantom VP v.3.0 3 weeks ago.  What are my chances to get DJI to exchange it for the NEW Phantom 3?  LOL...or get a discount?
2015-4-8
Use props
accounts
New

United Kingdom

"anyone buying in the last week or two that was unaware of the rumors or did no research should kick themselves for sure" - thanks! my PV 2+ arrived today, purchased because it was the "latest model" and as close to the professional platform as possible without spending silly money. I did plenty of research for different drones before picking DJI, but I'm not a "drone expert" and NEVER came across any stories about a new model being on the horizon. I am not a happy customer at all, and will be sending it back if at all possible. I'll pay to upgrade to a 3 if they offer me the option, though.
2015-4-8
Use props
andrew_sera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4964587 ft
United States

The Inspire 1 compared to the Phantom 2 was like comparing a ferrari to a honda. Now the comparison is a ferrari to bmw
2015-4-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

andrew_sera@yah Posted at 2015-4-9 01:46
The Inspire 1 compared to the Phantom 2 was like comparing a ferrari to a honda. Now the comparison  ...

that couldn't gave been put any better.  DJI TOTALLY robbed inspire pilots
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-4-9 01:51
that couldn't gave been put any better.  DJI TOTALLY robbed inspire pilots

I disagree.  Until you have flown both it is hard to make that statement.  I have flown both.  The P3 is not the Inspire.  No retracts, no camera pan, and so on and so on.  Each fits a niche market.  That is why I have a S920 with the E1200 motors to fly my GH4 camera.  You need different tools in your tool box.  Each of them has a place.  
2015-4-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 01:58
I disagree.  Until you have flown both it is hard to make that statement.  I have flown both.  The ...

i do understand what you're saying, but the biggest thing i don't understand is how Lightbridge costing $1400 on its own can be included into a $1200 AND $1000 drone while the Inspire costs $3000 and almost identical.  I know its not your doing, Im just a bit annoyed at the pricing.  
btw, thanks for all your help in the forum!
2015-4-8
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

I agree with Tahoe Ed. I have an inspire 1 and I just pre-ordered the the Phantom 3 Professional. This is just another tool in the tool box for me.
2015-4-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

accounts@hill.s Posted at 2015-4-9 01:39
"anyone buying in the last week or two that was unaware of the rumors or did no research should kick ...

accounts,
What I said did come out a bit wrong and I get it, having done your diligence and not seeing or hearing anything does suck, I would be a miffed for sure as well.nHope you get it sorted out.
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

With all available discounts, the existing P2+ comes to less than $1100 with an extra battery - so it's less than $1000 when considered with one battery (those who pay higher simply haven't shopped.....or live somewhere in the world where discounts are not as available).

So, the new P3 is the same price - about $1000 with one battery, right?  And it has almost no new capabilities in terms of the video and photos it's takes, right?

Again - I am amazed that people can complain about an incremental upgrade which is not even available yet. If you have a P2 V3 you have a much more proven platform....it will take months to not only produce, but then to hone the new line.

Are folks really claiming that they would wait an undeterminable amount of time to get a newer (and buggier, if history is any guide) model which does virtually nothing different (the indoor flying is perhaps the only thing - but I'd be amazed if most pilots really felt comfortable doing that without a LOT of experience).

Asking that DJI "not anger or annoy" tens of thousands of various opinions or "feelings" is really asking too much. No matter what they do thousands will complain.

As far as lightbridge technology - a fancy name for basic digital transmission. It costs almost nothing in terms of the pieces once you decide to produce 100,000 of them. But make a couple hundred of them or a couple thousand per year - semi-custom - and it costs a bundle. This is the miracle of mass production and silicon.

DJI happens to be the only company who has risked it all and went way out-on-the-limb to bring the price down. Try buying a digital FPV /telemetry solution from other vendors and you will see why it's expensive.

My older P2V+ uses "digital FPV" (if I'm not wrong, the system is all digital) , so in the end lightbridge is just a brand name and internal technology which accomplishes a task.
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

DUDE!  This is technology much like buying a computer was 15 years ago.  Remember the day you got a new computer?   It was already no longer state-of-the-art.  Same here.  Pick a spot and buy it KNOWING it will be upgraded in 6 to 9 months.
2015-4-8
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

Sucks but that's the nature of technology. Technology improves and prices go down in general. I paid $1299 each for two P2v+ version 3 with the defective wires and esc's in November. I bought my first 1080p projector from panasonic ae2000 for $2799 several year ago (2007) and just bought another Panasonic ae8000 (2015) 1080p projector with better picture, brighter, better specs and 3d for only $1499.

The good news is the price of the Inspire will probably drop and other competitors are put on notice as far as features and price!!!
2015-4-8
Use props
accounts
New

United Kingdom

" I am amazed that people can complain about an incremental upgrade which is not even available yet."
- er, no - it's available, right now, for very slightly more than I paid for a PV 2+ with extra battery, direct from DJI.
"does virtually nothing different"
- again, no - it has improved GPS, revised (better) controller, etc. Hence the anger.

These devices by nature tend to attract "early adopters", so not to run any sort of notice that a new model is pending comes across as dishonest and trying to shift old stock at a premium price. It IS going to anger people that their brand new PV2+ is officially discontinued the day it gets unpacked.

We'll see how DJI treat customers like me who only bought in the last few days...
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

accounts@hill.s Posted at 2015-4-9 02:39
- er, no - it's available, right now, for very slightly more than I paid for a PV 2+ with extra batt ...

Accounts,  I am sorry that you are disappointed.  While DJI took great measures to not disclose what happened today, there were numerous leaks that we could not contain.  The information was out there.  We never promised that your tech would continue to be the latest tech.  If we did, we would have ceased to exist several years ago.  My phone gets replaced every 6 months and yet my contract with my carrier is for 2 years.  
2015-4-8
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

Will the old P2 batteries work with P3?  Guessing not??
P3 is a 4S lipo.  The P2 uses a 3S lipo.
2015-4-8
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

I paid $2700 for a sharp 70 inch led tv when they first came out and now they can be purchased for $1500. Drones are a relatively new technology and becoming very popular so everything is going to advance quickly and prices will drop so what can you really do but wait if you are not happy with the current price/performance/feature ratio.  
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Does the P3 come with a second battery free?
The P2V+ with a battery was 1169 - those who found a coupon paid 5% less. That's about $1100 - minus the free battey = $990 or so.

Some people paid less. Some more. This happens every few minutes. Do you get angry that you fly in airline seats...that someone sitting next to you paid more or less? Same with a hotel room?

Do you buy a new Car in September and then act as if you didn't know new models will be available in November or December.

Just to avoid future problems - let me inform the world that DJI tends to announce newer models in a prelude to

1. CES and Holiday Season (this would mean Oct 1. to Jan. 15 or so)
and
2. NAB (April).

To say they should run a notice seems like asking Apple to run notice that they upgrade their phones each year (slightly) and a lot every two years.
2015-4-8
Use props
accounts
New

United Kingdom

Oh. You're one of /those/ sort of companies. That's sad.
DJI took great measures to not disclose what happened today....The information was out there.
You admit trying really hard to hide the information that would have prevented this, yet say it was still "out there". The average consumer would have no clue - I didn't - so apparently I'm just some poor schmuck, and don't matter.

You compare the situation to mobile phones. Well - we all know Apple's (or Samsung, or, or...) roadmap - even if we don't know the details, we can make an informed choice on whether to wait for the next "big thing". If a consumer bought a new model iPhone and a new one was released the next day with no notice or teasers, consumers would revolt. The fact you don't yet know how to handle this without "ceasing to exist" just means you need to do better.

Thankfully statutory UK consumer law (Consumer Contracts Regulations 2014) requires that you accept my return, provided it is undamaged and returned within 14 days, so you can park the attitude, it's not like you have a choice.
We never promised that your tech would continue to be the latest tech.
Ouch. I think DJI produce amazing hardware, but if that's really how you respond on a public forum, it's a real shame.
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

accounts@hill.s Posted at 2015-4-9 03:26
You admit trying really hard to hide the in ...

Get over it!  Apple lets you buy a iPhone a day before they release a new one.  You buy it because it meets you needs.  You use it and tech moves WAY pass you.  ALL tech has gone this way, in fact DJI has had all the P2 on sale for a month or so, did you think it was because they were not selling enough?
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

accounts@hill.s Posted at 2015-4-9 03:26
You admit trying really hard to hide the in ...

I am sorry for your response.  What would you have us do.  Disclose our production plans to our competitors before they are set??  Many may be disappointed.  They can probably return their P2's.  If not the P2 is a great craft and will meet most users needs.  How ofter do you got beyond LOS?  Do you really need 4K?  I have a P3 Advanced.  I do not need 4K and my MacBook Pro does not handle the 4K files well.  Other than the backpack, I am happy with the Advanced.  I really want the backpack.  
2015-4-8
Use props
accounts
New

United Kingdom

Apple lets you buy a iPhone a day before they release a new one.  
Yes - that's kind of the point - you would know that a new model was about to be released, they put it all over their web page, the carrier's site, and the news, so it would be an informed decision to buy an older model. Everyone's happy.
You buy it because it meets you needs.
- actually, everyone has different motivations, so try not to assume, chap. What happens if one of those "needs" is to have the latest model?
did you think it was because they were not selling enough?
A good customer experience does not require the customer to read between the lines", or be psychic.
Get over it!
- well, the title of this topic is "Feel Cheated", after all.

Out of curiosity, did you buy your PV2+ in the last few days? Are you "over it"?
2015-4-8
Use props
go4two
lvl.2

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 03:49
Get over it!  Apple lets you buy a iPhone a day before they release a new one.  You buy it because ...

On "Sale" for what a new professional P3 costs?  You've got to be kidding me!  Comparing Apple to DJI, well is like comparing "Apples and Oranges."   Apple has always had a new phone every year, but DJI has not been around long enough to have a track record.  I am new to his hobby and haven't followed all of the release history.  
2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

I admit I am a bit bummed having only gotten my PV2+ Mar 14.  It seems for $1000 I could have gotten a bit more technology. Oh well. The PV2+ is still amazing and I have yet to really see it's potential. I do think DJI could learn a thing  or tow from other tech companies and how the manage product release cycles
2015-4-8
Use props
Jubes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19859 ft
Saint Helena

Lets be honest, both sides of the divide are right in different ways. I bought & paid for my Inspire almost two months ago and because I live in a place which has no airport and the shipping from UK takes forever & a day it won't get here until the 19th April. If the P3 had been available when I splashed the cash it would have been the one I ordered too. However, the people who have a good INSP1 love them and I hope to join them, the most important thing is that the bird should be solid & not a risky thing to use, for me the important thing is for the next FWUD to be a good one. Also maybe DJI should consider making an upgraded flight controller with GPS/GLONASS compatibility available for INSP1 owners, remember how much we enjoy to tinker with the fun bits! While the out of the box solution is a winner for many the real enthusiast likes to be able to pimp his ride.
Come on DJI, its not a battery shaver.

2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

go4two Posted at 2015-4-9 04:03
On "Sale" for what a new professional P3 costs?  You've got to be kidding me!  Comparing Apple to  ...

It would take about 2 minutes of googling to find out exactly when certain models were released. To wit....

Original Phantom - November, 2012 - $679 - in time for Xmas and CES
Phantom 2 , 2 Vision and FC40 - Nov/Dec 2013 - same in terms of for CES
Phantom 2 Vision + - April 2014 - in time for NAB
Phantom 2 Vision + V3.0 - November 2014 - in time for Xmas and CES
Inspire - November, 2014 - in time for CES
Phantom 3 - April, 2015 - in time for NAB

Well, I don't think anyone is going to be convinced of not being cheated or annoyed. So be it.

I will add that I am a "member of the drone media" ..and I didn't know a thing until today other than the same rumors you all did. I don't feel bad about it either. It's no big deal.....not as if they introduced their new be-all end-all of <1 lb drone that does everything and doesn't hurt when it falls on your head....and, even if they did, they owe me nothing (as a consumer and/or publisher) other than allowing me to make my own decisions as to when and if I want to purchase their products.

In fact, I bought a new Phantom this week! It's a Phantom 1 and I got it for $315. I'm not annoyed or angry - but pleased I could pick up something to bang around for a price that won't make me cry if I lose it.

Oh, well, I'm outa this thread. You can anticipate these threads as well or better than DJI's release schedule.

FYI - for those who really want a new P3.
You can probably "part out" your newish Phantom for a lot of money!

$450 for the gimbal/cam (lists for $700).
$100 for the TX
$90 each for two new or almost new batteries = $180
Motors at $25 apiece = $100
NAZA = $150

There you go - about $1000 and I haven't even gotten to the shell, props or compass or GPS. Make sure you send DJI back any money you get for it over and above what you paid....ha ha!

2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

go4two Posted at 2015-4-9 04:03
On "Sale" for what a new professional P3 costs?  You've got to be kidding me!  Comparing Apple to  ...

You may want to read your own email before posting it.  "Apple has always had a new phone every year, but DJI has not been around long enough to have a track record."  

Apple did the same thing.  When release the 2nd iPhone there must have been forums full of people that felt cheated.  Why?  You bought a good product and it should deliver all it claimed.  Now a new version is out does the product you brought no long deliver as they claimed it would?
2015-4-8
Use props
go4two
lvl.2

United States

Acenothing...I have used Apple products for many years, and Apple is really good about "leaking" the next phone out many months before it's official.  If you are in the market, you can plan.  I guess it's shame on me for not being into this hobby for very long, as I could have foreseen this.  It still doesn't make it right.  
2015-4-8
Use props
johnpolo2000
New

Turkey

Guys guys.. here is my point some don't understand.

This shouldn't be a hide & seek games, OR who can find my latest releases on google contest. Some of you don't understand the fact that, this cannot be compared how smartphones being released. Even if you do, at least they don't come up with a similar product with a different name with same features yet there is another product from the same company being sold as twice as much.

I agree with go4two as well. Let me tell you this, i was at last CES 2015. In fact, i talked to some of the guys in person. The only thing they talked about was to release an Inspire 1 with two cams in near future AND mark my notes here. It will have two cams in near future.

If we are all on this forum and discussing this behaviour at this very moment, it means that, people here somewhat, follow the technology quite good. At least, most of us here.

Again, my point is that, do not release a product thats half price of something which does the same thing and was released 5 months ago UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME.

Or be a man and reduce the price of the similar product. They tend to act like Apple marketers but they fail each time.

And for those who think we don't follow the product line or think that we cannot predict how tech is moving swiftly.....DUH !!!!!
2015-4-8
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules