2281 10 2017-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Been using the Crystal Sky for about a week.

On one hand, I enjoy the added clarity, detail and resolution as compared to the iPad mini4

However, I've noticed to glitches that never happened with the IOS/iPad mini4.

1. Once it abruptly cycled into ATTI mode and was drifting around basically out-of-control.

2. Constant error message/beeping when I fly toward the sun in late afternoon.  So much so that I have to disable avoidance.

3. Finally, today it abruptly Disconnected, screen went black.  I rebooted/powered-down-up the Crystal Sky but it would not reconnect.
Eventually had to use RTH to recover the craft.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Android based Go4 app and its stability.  Never had issues with the IOS iPad.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

What's the best method to reconnect the monitor?

Anybody have any tricks or tips?

Thanks

2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

For the issue you referred, I think they are related with the aircraft directly, instead of the CrystalSky.

1. Does the issue appear regularly? I would recommend you to change another location with good GPS to see whether it happens again.
2. The VPS will not work well when flying toward sun. Change the aircraft direction will be helpful.
3. If this happened again, please try to re-plug the cable.

2017-10-14
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-14 23:13
For the issue you referred, I think they are related with the aircraft directly, instead of the CrystalSky.

1. Does the issue appear regularly? I would recommend you to change another location with good GPS to see whether it happens again.

The error message flying towards the sun and water reflecting happens regularly BUT never happened with the iPad Mini4 with IOS Go4 app.  Now with the Android based Crystal Sky its a different ballpark

Unacceptable to not be able to fly into the sun...period.  That issue has to be fixed.

Finally, the way in which the DJI Mavic Crystal Sky adapter is constructed, its absolutely impossible to unplug the usb cable without have to completely de-rig the mount.  Fits too close and too tight.

If these problems are not sorted, I'll be forced to return the unit and go back to using the inferior but functional iPad Mini4
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

geoffz Posted at 2017-10-15 02:31
The error message flying towards the sun and water reflecting happens regularly BUT never happened with the iPad Mini4 with IOS Go4 app.  Now with the Android based Crystal Sky its a different ballpark

Unacceptable to not be able to fly into the sun...period.  That issue has to be fixed.

The obstacle avoidance will be initiated when the drone is flying towards the sun or a strong light directly, it is the Visual System which activates the beeping and brakes the drone, it is not about the mobile device system.
And for the disconnected, please check if it is the app's disconnected or the transmission signal lost, you can try to adjust the antennas if it is the transmission signal lost. Then check if it is the loose contact between the male and female port.
BTW, please update the firmware of the Crystalsky to ensure the performance. Thank you.
2017-10-15
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-15 23:20
The obstacle avoidance will be initiated when the drone is flying towards the sun or a strong light directly, it is the Visual System which activates the beeping and brakes the drone, it is not about the mobile device system.
And for the disconnected, please check if it is the app's disconnected or the transmission signal lost, you can try to adjust the antennas if it is the transmission signal lost. Then check if it is the loose contact between the male and female port.
BTW, please update the firmware of the Crystalsky to ensure the performance. Thank you.

Activating the OA braking when flying forward towards the sun, in normal mode, is unacceptable performance flaw and should be remedied.

To have to disable OA to counter this fatal flaw is adding fuel to the fire.  The craft then flies faster and is more difficult to control.

To answer your question, I've never incurred a loss of transmission.  When I receive a weak signal warning, I increase altitude/change course.  

Therefore, the Crystal Sky disconnects the app.
The screen goes completely dark
Finally and most alarming, there's no method to reconnect the Crystal Sky monitor to the craft.

And...yes, the latest CS firmware is installed.

I surmise it's the unstable Android open source Go4 app that is the main problem.

Why DJI went to Android is baffling but probably they didn't want to pay Apple license.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

geoffz Posted at 2017-10-16 00:50
Activating the OA braking when flying forward towards the sun, in normal mode, is unacceptable performance flaw and should be remedied.

To have to disable OA to counter this fatal flaw is adding fuel to the fire.  The craft then flies faster and is more difficult to control.

This is not a defect, could you imagine when you directly watch the strong sunlight? We can't see clear and it will also make us feel uncomfortable, right? And there are also much we need to pay attention when we use the visual system, please refer to the page 26 of the manual. FORWARD AND DOWNWARD SYSTEM.png
2017-10-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-16 04:24
This is not a defect, could you imagine when you directly watch the strong sunlight? We can't see clear and it will also make us feel uncomfortable, right? And there are also much we need to pay attention when we use the visual system, please refer to the page 26 of the manual.[view_image]

I don't buy it.

Using professional photographic equipment pointing in the direction...not at the sun...is common photographic/cinematography practice.  It's traditionally referred to as 'back-light'.

Do you really think DJI's bid to appeal to the pro-cinema crowd, with the Z7, cannot be pointed in the direction of the sun without braking/shutting down?  That would never pass muster.  Cameramen are always shooting in back lit environments.

Your equipment better work with it.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

geoffz Posted at 2017-10-16 20:09
I don't buy it.

Using professional photographic equipment pointing in the direction...not at the sun...is common photographic/cinematography practice.  It's traditionally referred to as 'back-light'.

You might need to switch off the obstacle avoidance when you fly the drone directly facing a strong light. Hope it would be available more functions and enhance a stronger ability for our machines. Thanks for your feedback.
2017-10-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-16 23:37
You might need to switch off the obstacle avoidance when you fly the drone directly facing a strong light. Hope it would be available more functions and enhance a stronger ability for our machines. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm very concerned because today I experienced yet another 'aircraft disconnected'.

Again, it was when I was using my new DJI Crystal Sky monitor (5.5")

I was flying in a completely unobstructed wide open countryside space next to a Lake.

No lead up or sign of a problem when BOOM...up comes the 'red' aircraft disconnected prompt.

The BIGGER problem is nothing I do, including 'reboot'-power off/on...seems to be able to reconnect the go app 4 to the aircraft.

Ultimately the only thing to do seems to initiate RTH.

Anyone current having this issue with the Crystal Sky monitor?

I'd like to hear what DJI has to say about this!?
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

geoffz Posted at 2017-10-19 20:01
I'm very concerned because today I experienced yet another 'aircraft disconnected'.

Again, it was when I was using my new DJI Crystal Sky monitor (5.5")

I have replied you in this post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-116940-1-1.html, please confirm.
2017-10-22
Use props
Funkmaster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70774 ft
Barbados

I am using the Dji CS mount on my Phantom 4 Pro and i get constant disconnects on my 7.85" CS.  I can fly all day with my iPad Air 2 but can't manage 2 minutes with this Crystalsky.  I'm using the latest firmware on both devices and yes before you ask I have reset the CS by going into the settings several times.  I have even tried using a USB-C and bypassing the mount and still having the disconnects.  Fortunately I was able to safely fly the drone back home as I was in line of sight.  Really need some help with this problem as I have invested in this device and mounts for all my drones.
2017-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules