Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crashed Mavic
2306 29 2017-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
X22 CRR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 413835 ft
United Kingdom

Goood morning Everyone,

So, had a crash with the Mavic yesterday and I thought it would be good to get some of your expert opinions and Knowledge as to whether I could claim this through the warrenty.

I had been flying most the day using active track to follow my car down my private road - We werent moving quickly, no more then 12m/s. My last flight didnt end so well. When in active track the drone decided to fly directly into a tree and didnt seem to attempt to avoid it or stop. I'd had other flights that day, the drone was working perfectly as it should and was able to stop or avoid objects if it needed to.

Below are links to drop box which hopefully is enough information - I hope I have uploaded the right flight log file but if you see it is the wrong one please let me know and ill try find the right one. As I have been turning the drone on and off most the evening it seems to create other logs as well.

Video of crash - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4985oj6391s5lvr/DJI_0068.MOV?dl=0

Screen Recording of DJI Go 4 App - https://www.dropbox.com/s/lel112 ... 015_084816.mp4?dl=0

Flight log (I think) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ry8yd ... 5_08-59-48.DAT?dl=0

So far the damage is a broken camera gimble, broken propeller, dented battery, body and scratches.

Anyway, really would appriciate if anyone has some free time to have a look through and possibly give me an idea if this is something I can get fixed through warrenty. In my opinion, the drone should of detected the object and stopped, but as you will see from the video it didnt even attempt to stop.

Thank you in advance guys.

Carl
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry for your unexpected experience. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
Can you try to connect your mavic with DJI assistant 2 to export more flight data? A case number is needed. I would help you forward to our support.

2017-10-15
Use props
HomePoint
First Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks to me like the car was going down hill, so the Mavic stayed at your set height, thus looking like it was rising, but the road was actually going down and not the craft up.  Hope you get you Mavic back flying again.
2017-10-15
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-15 01:01
Sorry for your unexpected experience. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
Can you try to connect your mavic with DJI assistant 2 to export more flight data? A case number is needed. I would help you forward to our support.

Hi DJI Elektra,

Thank you for your reply. I have already contacted support and raised a cased. I will post the ticket number when i get home. I am running the v4.1.10 app and fairly sure im upto date with the AC firmware. I can connect the AC and get as many flight records as required.
2017-10-15
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HomePoint Posted at 2017-10-15 01:12
Looks to me like the car was going down hill, so the Mavic stayed at your set height, thus looking like it was rising, but the road was actually going down and not the craft up.  Hope you get you Mavic back flying again.

Hi Homepoint.

Yes the Mavic did stay at the same level. However, after reviewing the screen recorded video i noticed the height display just before the accident starts acting very strange. Going from approx 3ms down to 0m. And during/after the crash it says the heigh is -7m. Very strange.
Edit - sorry just occurred to me the reason it goes to -7 is best the road went downhill and the drone HP would of been at +7 to the final resting point.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-15 01:40
Hi DJI Elektra,

Thank you for your reply. I have already contacted support and raised a cased. I will post the ticket number when i get home. I am running the v4.1.10 app and fairly sure im upto date with the AC firmware. I can connect the AC and get as many flight records as required.

Thanks for your update. Please provide your flight record and your ticket number. We will help you follow the case.
2017-10-15
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-15 02:08
Thanks for your update. Please provide your flight record and your ticket number. We will helo you follow the case.

Hello,

My case number is CAS-1104550-G8Y3T2

What flight records do you require? is the Log in the first post not the correct one?
I have synced my flight records from the DJI Go4 App

Thank you for your help with this
2017-10-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Anyway, really would appriciate if anyone has some free time to have a look through and possibly give me an idea if this is something I can get fixed through warrenty.

Possibly so, though I'm always hesitant to speculate about what DJI will do, especially when one of the "intelligent" flight modes is involved. I watched the videos and looked at the DAT file and it happened just as you described.

In my opinion, the drone should of detected the object and stopped, but as you will see from the video it didnt even attempt to stop.

After reviewing the videos and data I'd tend to agree with you. You can see in the graph below that OA did in fact detect the obstacle (the green line that appears at around 519.5 into the flight) and the estimated distance to it decreases as the Mavic continues flying towards it. However, the Mavic's speed (indicated by the red plot) didn't decrease but remained the same until perhaps just before the impact (indicated by the blue plot's spike).

So the bottom line is that OA did detect the tree but didn't do anything about it, at least not quickly enough to prevent the crash, so my personal opinion is that a reasonable argument could be made for this being a warranty issue.

Based on what I've heard in the past, my guess is that DJI will resist replacing it as a warranty case, but if / when they do, you should insist on them explaining why it didn't begin to stop as soon as it detected the tree 6 metres away when it still had a chance of avoiding the collision.

CrashOA

CrashOA
2017-10-15
Use props
SoapyGolem
lvl.1
Flight distance : 372625 ft
United States

Ouch that is crazy
2017-10-15
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

My opinion, flying the Mavic specifically in that situation was asking for trouble.
2017-10-15
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-15 17:52
Anyway, really would appriciate if anyone has some free time to have a look through and possibly give me an idea if this is something I can get fixed through warrenty.

Possibly so, though I'm always hesitant to speculate about what DJI will do, especially when one of the "intelligent" flight modes is involved. I watched the videos and looked at the DAT file and it happened just as you described.

Not sure if you can determine this from the log but there is definitely something strange about the height. The height showed it went from 2mts to 0mts before the tree.  Also the manual states that the subject must stay on a level surface which is not the case here.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-15 03:03
Hello,

My case number is CAS-1104550-G8Y3T2

Hi, I had downloaded the files you provided above and forwarded them to our engineers to look into. Once there is a result, we will reply you. And you can also send the drone back at the same time, we will take care of it when it arrives. Sorry again for the crash, hope thing is resorted out shortly.
2017-10-15
Use props
fansce7828fc
First Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

Sime Posted at 2017-10-15 21:46
My opinion, flying the Mavic specifically in that situation was asking for trouble.

Yeah same opinion here. would love to see a video with a mavic avoiding all the obstacles.

The effectiveness of the sensors is pretty limited anyway..
2017-10-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-15 22:02
Not sure if you can determine this from the log but there is definitely something strange about the height. The height showed it went from 2mts to 0mts before the tree.  Also the manual states that the subject must stay on a level surface which is not the case here.

The log actually shows two different heights: the barometric-based height relative to the home point / takeoff location and the VPS height. The one you're referring to is the barometric height, and yes it shows that one dropping below zero both in the log file and in his video of the Go app replay. However, that's not unusual given slight changes in terrain and / or barometric pressure and the VPS height information in the log reflects what the video shows, which is that it remained a safe distance from the ground until the crash.

As far as level surface issue goes, yes, the manual does say that, but few places are completely flat and the ground he was traveling on didn't have what I'd call a dramatic change in elevation. Personally I'd be disappointed in DJI if they decided to reject a warranty claim on the basis of that caveat in the manual, especially since the lack of completely level ground doesn't appear to have anything to do with the fact that his Mavic didn't stop despite detecting the obstacle.
2017-10-16
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I have recieved notice from DJI that this case will be fixed under warrenty. Very pleased as you could imagine. Hopefully ill get it back very soon.

2017-10-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-16 04:28
Hi all,

I have recieved notice from DJI that this case will be fixed under warrenty. Very pleased as you could imagine. Hopefully ill get it back very soon.

I'm glad to hear that; thanks for the update.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all,

That is a good news, hope you will get it back soon.
If you need any assistance during this process, please contact any of us moderator.
2017-10-16
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-16 04:49
That is a good news, hope you will get it back soon.
If you need any assistance during this process, please contact any of us moderator.

Hi DJI Mindy,

Can you confirm that the AC and RC will be fully tested before it is returned. Im concerned as I received the list of items that will be fixed and the camera or camera gimble wasn't one of them. Im pretty sure it was broken as I wasn't able to move the camera with the controller after the accident.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Carl
2017-10-25
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,

Great news! Should get it back around Christmas! LOL

I learn so much from posts like this. Thank You! (serious)
2017-10-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-25 02:42
Hi DJI Mindy,

Can you confirm that the AC and RC will be fully tested before it is returned. Im concerned as I received the list of items that will be fixed and the camera or camera gimble wasn't one of them. Im pretty sure it was broken as I wasn't able to move the camera with the controller after the accident.

I wouldn't worry or bother asking about specifically what was or wasn't tested because the truth is that there's very little chance that you'll get back your original Mavic. Instead what you'll probably receive will be someone else's refurbished aircraft, though DJI has a pretty good track record of providing fully functional replacements.
2017-10-25
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-25 03:06
I wouldn't worry or bother asking about specifically what was or wasn't tested because the truth is that there's very little chance that you'll get back your original Mavic. Instead what you'll probably receive will be someone else's refurbished aircraft, though DJI has a pretty good track record of providing fully functional replacements.

ahhh  ok - I've just received notice that it has been shipped - so only time will tell now.
2017-10-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-25 03:55
ahhh  ok - I've just received notice that it has been shipped - so only time will tell now.

only time will tell now

Well, if you do get back the same aircraft then please let us know, because that would be the first such case that I'd heard of and it would interesting to find out that DJI has changed their process.

I only mentioned this because people are sometimes surprised and occasionally angry after seeing the information DJI provides about supposed progress through the repair assembly line process (which may very well be accurate) and then getting back a different Mavic.
2017-10-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-25 02:42
Hi DJI Mindy,

Carl, I'm so sorry for the late response because of long holiday.
You should have received the drone, please test the flight performance.
If there is any further problem, please keep us posted.
2017-10-27
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-25 04:31
only time will tell now

Well, if you do get back the same aircraft then please let us know, because that would be the first such case that I'd heard of and it would interesting to find out that DJI has changed their process.

Hi DroneFlying,

Received the drone yesterday and it is, in fact....a different one..but its working great and looks better then my last one.
2017-10-28
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-27 22:33
Carl, I'm so sorry for the late response because of long holiday.
You should have received the drone, please test the flight performance.
If there is any further problem, please keep us posted.

Hi Mindy,

No problem. Received the drone and it all seems to be working at the moment. The only down fall is when i sent the controller in to be repaired i sent it with my android cable. I've received a controller back but with an apple cable.

Any chance you could organise to get an android cable sent?

Thank you in advance,
2017-10-28
Use props
rshah921
First Officer
United States

Wow man huge relief!!! So glad everything worked out. I just bought my mavic yday and hoping I'm taken care of the same way incase I mess up. Definitely learned not to fly in a similar environment though. Going to try and stick with open fields as much as possible
2017-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-28 04:19
Hi Mindy,

No problem. Received the drone and it all seems to be working at the moment. The only down fall is when i sent the controller in to be repaired i sent it with my android cable. I've received a controller back but with an apple cable.

You sent in your own Android cable or the stock one?
2017-10-29
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-29 02:22
You sent in your own Android cable or the stock one?

Hi Mindy,

It was the stock Android cable.

Thank you
2017-10-30
Use props
X22 CRR
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rshah921 Posted at 2017-10-28 08:55
Wow man huge relief!!! So glad everything worked out. I just bought my mavic yday and hoping I'm taken care of the same way incase I mess up. Definitely learned not to fly in a similar environment though. Going to try and stick with open fields as much as possible

Yes, great to be back in the air again. I wouldn't say the environment was the issue. I've flown in all types of environments. Just happens that this time there was an issue. Enjoy your Mavic.
2017-10-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

X22 CRR Posted at 2017-10-30 03:35
Hi Mindy,

It was the stock Android cable.

OK, we will feedback to local team, there will be someone to contact you soon, thanks for your patience.
2017-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules