Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Airplane mode/Go home
3546 34 2017-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John UK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115030 ft
United Kingdom

I turned my phone to airplane mode then turned the wifi back on. Connected to the p3 std and everything was fine until i tried to return home. The bird didn't seem to want to come home. Luckily i still had fpv albeit chobby and lagging and i managed to bring her back home. So question is,  why did return home fail with airplane mode switched on?
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That may have just been a coincidence - the main cause for RTH to fail is for GPS to be lost mid flight or not waiting for a home point to connect and show at your location on the map before take off. Is your IMU and compass functioning properly too? Did you get any error messages pop up?
2017-10-15
Use props
GM74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105502 ft
Netherlands

I always fly in airplane mode. RTH works fine. Activation of the RTH feature is not triggered by the phone settings. Check your RTH settings in the Go app.
2017-10-15
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Very strange. Everything is fine in the settings, the only thing I altered is the rth height as I had some tall trees nearby. When I activated return to home it said it started beeping as you expect but then after about 5-10 seconds the beeping stopped and the bird just hovered like it didn't know where home was. I wasn't even near anything electrical as I was over a field
2017-10-15
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Also it said home point updated before taking off so it can't be that I took off too quickly. It's as though it lost its rth point mid flight. I tried it about 5 times and the same every time. Says returning home,  then starts beeping for 5/10 secs and then stops it's journey home and just hovers.
2017-10-15
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Just an update. I just went and fid a 10 minute night flight in the same area I had the problens this afternoon.tried the rth s few times and it worked perfectly every time. The only thing I did different was I didn't activate airplane mode on my phone. I just don't understand what went wrong this afternoon. Id only just got confident with the rth feature abd been pushing the bird further away. Now I'm unsure if I can rely on rth in future.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very strange - in your case I would keep airplane mode off in future though I can not see how this would effect RTH but if it works for your drone then do it.
2017-10-15
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You were probably in an area where the signal was just  going out and coming in. Most likely the AC was on the verge of its range limit.
2017-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

John UK Posted at 2017-10-15 14:05
Just an update. I just went and fid a 10 minute night flight in the same area I had the problens this afternoon.tried the rth s few times and it worked perfectly every time. The only thing I did different was I didn't activate airplane mode on my phone. I just don't understand what went wrong this afternoon. Id only just got confident with the rth feature abd been pushing the bird further away. Now I'm unsure if I can rely on rth in future.

Airplane mode will have zero influence on anything to do with RTH.
If you want to get to the bottom of the mystery, you need to look at flight data for the flight in question.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Your guesses about not recording a homepoint before launch or losing the homepoint are not realistic but the flight data will show that anyway.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, which mobile device do you use? How about changing to another mobile?
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok heres the links to the 2 flight logs when RTH failed. Strangely, even though there are 2 seperate flight logs the drone was always in the air and never landed.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YFW8V84TTRQXTYOKFNDC/#
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/COV29H3O70PS77OFTWC6/

Can anybody translate these into plain layman terms?
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-16 00:17
Just to verify, which mobile device do you use? How about changing to another mobile?

Im using a Samsung Galaxy S5. I have a tablet which i would like to use but having trouble finding a holder for it as its 10.1 inches.
2017-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

Lord have mercy.  It would be easier to say what didn't go wrong.  Labroides is the expert at analyzing these things. I'm sure he can tell you what was up.
2017-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

I would like to ask if you used the same battery during all this, or tried another?
2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

John UK Posted at 2017-10-16 06:14
Ok heres the links to the 2 flight logs when RTH failed. Strangely, even though there are 2 seperate flight logs the drone was always in the air and never landed.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YFW8V84TTRQXTYOKFNDC/#
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/COV29H3O70PS77OFTWC6/

There's something seriously wrong with those flight records.
Every column is filled with numbers and values that make no sense and cannot possibly be correct.
There's nothing that can be worked out from them.

Do you have a flight record from before or after that flight to see if that was a one-off thing or if it's consistently recording crazy stuff?
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-16 06:41
I would like to ask if you used the same battery during all this, or tried another?

Same battery, I only have one
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-16 06:55
There's something seriously wrong with those flight records.
Every column is filled with numbers and values that make no sense and cannot possibly be correct.
There's nothing that can be worked out from them.

That's what I thought. Everything looks crazy. Let  me see if I can find an earlier flight log
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Heres the flight log from the day before (saturday) On this flight the drone flew perfectly, i was over farmland and managed my best distance of 1.1km when i lost signal and the drone returned home perfectly. The numbers still look crazy though http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0VSVWO0HV7MLVEL8G39Z/
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

And this is a flight log from about 3 weeks ago when id not long bought the drone http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/EUH4ANPP95AT9D9GU2Y8/
2017-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

Never seen anything even remotely similar to this.  I would return it.  It's going to probably fall right out of the sky soon.  Hard to believe it even takes off.
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-16 09:10
Never seen anything even remotely similar to this.  I would return it.  It's going to probably fall right out of the sky soon.  Hard to believe it even takes off.

The thing is all my on screen info is perfect when I'm flying and my records in the app show correctly. I'd of never of suspected anything wrong until the rth failed to work properly yesterday. All control on the sticks perform as expected and it hovers stable and responds as you would expect. This is the only time rth has failed me, ive been using it with no problems on every flight since i got the drone.
2017-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

Seems that whatever records the telementry is all screwed up.  This is really weird.
2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

John UK Posted at 2017-10-16 09:20
The thing is all my on screen info is perfect when I'm flying and my records in the app show correctly. I'd of never of suspected anything wrong until the rth failed to work properly yesterday. All control on the sticks perform as expected and it hovers stable and responds as you would expect. This is the only time rth has failed me, ive been using it with no problems on every flight since i got the drone.

There's nothing remotely believable in the data that your app is recording.
Just the first column showing time is completely crazy with numbers jumping up and down and values like 105 minutes, voltages over 100V, every flight mode in the book (except P-GPS), altitudes swinging from +8000ft to -10000ft. etc.

It sounds like the issue is only limited to the recording of data but if you ever had a warranty issue, there's no way DJI could make sense of that data either.

The best course of action is probably to synch your flight records - click on the cloud icon on the flight record page of the app ...
And then go to DJI online help and start a chat with one of their people to see about getting that fixed.
2017-10-16
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-16 14:52
Just the first column showing time is completely crazy with numbers jumping up and down and values like 105 minutes, voltages over 100V, every flight mode in the book (except P-GPS), altitudes swinging from +8000ft to -10000ft. etc.

Thanks ill do as you say and talk to dji. Ill let you know what the ebd result is as it may help somebody in the future.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

John UK Posted at 2017-10-16 06:15
Im using a Samsung Galaxy S5. I have a tablet which i would like to use but having trouble finding a holder for it as its 10.1 inches.

Noted with thanks! Please refer the below video and sync your flight records, then PM me your DJI Account, I'd like to forward to our engineers to look into it. Thanks in advance!

2017-10-17
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-16 14:52

I have spoken with online support and sent them one of the flight records and they say everything is normal. I brought up the altitude of 10,000 feet and was told it is normal. Now I'm no expert, far from it but how are these values considered to be normal?
2017-10-17
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hopefully screenshots of chat will show
Screenshot_20171017-155847.png
Screenshot_20171017-155857.png
2017-10-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

That chat was of no use.  Clearly, he is not a tech.  There is no way that log is normal it this world.  Really DJI, please get some support people in the chat that have a clue.....
2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

John UK Posted at 2017-10-17 07:33
Hopefully screenshots of chat will show

He's running the standard help playbook, which in this case is not standard...you need someone who knows what they are talking about.  Keep pressing the matter, as noted above if anything goes wrong then they'll turn it around on you and say they can't determine or can't or wont help you.
Something is wrong, big or small but it is wrong
2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

John UK Posted at 2017-10-17 07:29
I have spoken with online support and sent them one of the flight records and they say everything is normal. I brought up the altitude of 10,000 feet and was told it is normal. Now I'm no expert, far from it but how are these values considered to be normal?

Unfortunately some DJI "help" people are far from helpful.
The calibrate compass and IMU is a common response to everything - and useless unless you have a problem with your compass or IMU.

I had a problem last week with the liveview dropping ou and one suggested that I calibrate the compass and IMU !!!
That's like suggesting putting air in the tyres when your car keeps stalling.

That flight data recording problem is far from normal and won't be any help if you ever need to investigate an incident or make a warranty claim.

How does the flight data replay in the app look ... is it all scrambled or does it look normal?
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

John UK Posted at 2017-10-17 07:29

Sorry for the confusion caused by the online agent. I have received your message in PM, and the flight records have been forwarded to our engineers for further review. And I will keep follow up the status.
2017-10-17
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-17 15:04
Unfortunately some DJI "help" people are far from helpful.
The calibrate compass and IMU is a common response to everything - and useless unless you have a problem with your compass or IMU.

Data in the app is perfect. And all values show correct.. i would of never suspected anything wrong until you told me to do the flight record upload. I was shocked when I saw those values. Flight altitude is minus 1000 feet at one point .
2017-10-18
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-17 23:48
Sorry for the confusion caused by the online agent. I have received your message in PM, and the flight records have been forwarded to our engineers for further review. And I will keep follow up the status.

Thank you Susan
2017-10-18
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Any news on this yet? I'm scared to fly a drone I just paid hundreds of pounds for and now I'm outside the 30 day return period with the shop. DJI support is useless, says my flight log is normal when its full of false numbers and error messages. What am I supposed to do, just write the hundreds of pounds off as a bad experience?
2017-10-22
Use props
John UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

How can these be normal? Look at the voltage and altitude!
Screenshot_20171022-173122.png
Screenshot_20171022-173056.png
Screenshot_20171022-172941.png
2017-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules