Waypoints for Spark in DJI Go
15398 29 2017-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
headshot9
lvl.3
United States

With 3rd party apps now offering Waypoints support for the Spark, any news on having the same on the DJI Go app?
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would be nice to have but with limited range, especially in CE areas, I don't think we'll see it anytime soon.
2017-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sure would be nice!
2017-10-15
Use props
headshot9
lvl.3
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-15 11:09
Would be nice to have but with limited range, especially in CE areas, I don't think we'll see it anytime soon.

There goes $20 ;)
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Litchi? Just keep the boundary close - 200m radius and make sure you can see the drone at all times if you want to be able to see it again! I don't use 3rd party apps as voids the warranty.
2017-10-15
Use props
headshot9
lvl.3
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-15 11:48
Litchi? Just keep the boundary close - 200m radius and make sure you can see the drone at all times if you want to be able to see it again! I don't use 3rd party apps as voids the warranty.

Actually had AutoPilot in mind, but point taken.

There are some great 3rd party apps out there, it is a shame that there is no way to get DJI to certify some of them.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

headshot9 Posted at 2017-10-15 11:59
Actually had AutoPilot in mind, but point taken.

There are some great 3rd party apps out there, it is a shame that there is no way to get DJI to certify some of them.

It's all about testing and quality control - DJI can not verify the safety of something they have not designed. To be honest, I don't see the need of waypoints for recreational flights - takes the fun out of flying - anyone can press a button and watch.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

So far, the Spark does not support Waypoints. Personally speaking,  it would be better if the Spark can support more functions. Hope the engineers can develop more functions on Spark.
2017-10-15
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

I think it's the marketing people you have to convince, not the engineers.
By denying Spark these capabilities, you are pushing people to use 3rd party softwares - or even hacked versions of Go4 itself.
These other softwares are proof that Spark is capable of these functions from an engineering standpoint, so it's a futile effort to block them in Go4.
2017-10-15
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

ACW Posted at 2017-10-15 12:02
It's all about testing and quality control - DJI can not verify the safety of something they have not designed. To be honest, I don't see the need of waypoints for recreational flights - takes the fun out of flying - anyone can press a button and watch.

Well, I guess some users just want to shoot nice pre-planned videos. No point in taking that away from them.
To each his own.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-15 22:36
So far, the Spark does not support Waypoints. Personally speaking,  it would be better if the Spark can support more functions. Hope the engineers can develop more functions on Spark.

Home and course lock and POI would be good to see!
2017-10-16
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-15 23:16
Well, I guess some users just want to shoot nice pre-planned videos. No point in taking that away from them.
To each his own.

Don't get me wrong, I use waypoints quite a bit with my P4P but I wouldn't take the risk of full, medium distance flight autonomy with any drone connected via WiFi only.
2017-10-16
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

ACW Posted at 2017-10-16 00:12
Don't get me wrong, I use waypoints quite a bit with my P4P but I wouldn't take the risk of full, medium distance flight autonomy with any drone connected via WiFi only.

But dont they fly the waypoint list to the end, even in case the controller gets disconnected, before RTH?
So it is only about the/our planning, to secure the birds way
2017-10-16
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

ACW Posted at 2017-10-16 00:12

That's all cool, but it's no reason to block the capability completely for Spark.
2017-10-16
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-10-16 00:41
But dont they fly the waypoint list to the end, even in case the controller gets disconnected, before RTH?
So it is only about the/our planning, to secure the birds way

They do but there are many cases on here at present of the Spark flying away without waypoints due to GPS being lost - that will need to be fixed first I think before they add waypoints.
2017-10-16
Use props
djiuser_pG9sMzN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 850 ft
Italy

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-15 22:36

Hi Diana,
your post is from October last year. Has the situation changed ? Many software already offer waypoint capability but I would prefer to use official DJI product, also for warranty issues. I am a novel but enthusiastic Spark user but I would like to plan a flight in avance before really flying. Do you think this feature could offered to Spark users ?

thanks and best regards
2018-1-4
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Litchi has NO waypoints and NO orbit and NO OTG for spark!!!(yet)
2018-1-4
Use props
headshot9
lvl.3
United States

Jos A Posted at 2018-1-4 23:28
Litchi has NO waypoints and NO orbit and NO OTG for spark!!!(yet)

Because Litchi is using the DJI APIs for all functionality. Autopilot does have Waypoint because they manage it.
2018-1-8
Use props
djiuser_eJiRrgnEBDko
lvl.3
Spain

Hi guys!
Just made my own implemenetation using DJI mobile SDK framework for Mission Planning functionality for SPARK.
I am using the virtual stick control to move the aircraft to the desired locations using the same functionalities as Mission_Control_Operator.
APP Functionalities:
- It includes a simulator just for testing. U can enable/disable.
- It includes a Google Map for viewing the aircraft location, the home location, for adding waypoints and visualize them, for adding a POI (Point of interest) waypoint.
- At clicking on the map a new waypoint is added can U asign an altitude.
- It is capable to configure the mission (A common altitude for waypoints, Speed, heading modes*, action after finished)
- Start/Stop the mission
- In addition at making long click on the map you switch to the Camera View for start/stop recording or take pictures and move the gimbal, right now I am implementing active track
*Only 2 functionalities about the heading modes control are not working:
- RC heading mode control (Option to control the heading using the joystick)
- Using waypoints heading mode (Option to read the heading of the next waypoint)

I still need to test it more outside the simulator, I will give U news about it.
2018-2-17
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Sound good.
It needs rc connection all the way, right?
Are we talking ios or android or both?
2018-2-17
Use props
David Calero Scanlan
lvl.3
Spain

heliman Posted at 2018-2-17 10:09
Sound good.
It needs rc connection all the way, right?
Are we talking ios or android or both?

Yes always using RC connection.
I have developed only for Android
2018-2-17
Use props
David Calero Scanlan
lvl.3
Spain

You can see a demonstration in the following link:
2018-2-17
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

David Calero Scanlan Posted at 2018-2-17 14:30
You can see a demonstration in the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CljsQPX8jX0

Did you use here internet for waypoint execution ?
2018-2-19
Use props
David Calero Scanlan
lvl.3
Spain

S.J Posted at 2018-2-19 11:22
Did you use here internet for waypoint execution ?

When using the wifi connection to link with RC I dont hace internet. This is solved by executing the aplicación first without the RC LinkedIn so Google Maps shows the área then coonecting the spark without internet works. Iam succesfully testng the App and making a nice style. Soon on play store.
2018-2-21
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Japan

David Calero Scanlan Posted at 2018-2-21 09:40
When using the wifi connection to link with RC I dont hace internet. This is solved by executing the aplicación first without the RC LinkedIn so Google Maps shows the área then coonecting the spark without internet works. Iam succesfully testng the App and making a nice style. Soon on play store.

good work..hope we see it on play store
2018-2-22
Use props
djiuser_WtuxBsAjItsy
lvl.1
United States

Any progress on this? Very interested in using waypoints with the spark, just don't have time to develop it. I'll beta test though, if needed
2018-3-15
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

Can it trigger the shutter automatically too?
2018-3-15
Use props
David Calero
lvl.3
Spain

Finally I did it! RED WAYPOINT APP the mission planner for DJI drones including SPARK! (and Mavic Air of course!)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=red.waypoint.RedWaypoint

Hope you enjoy it!
2018-5-14
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Kuwait

will check the app with caution and advice
2018-5-14
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

I really think it is a shame that the dji spark is soo restrickted with phone only as controller...
If you take a parrot bebop1/2 the got same range/speed/setting with or without controller, only your wifi signal determins your range, personally i got my bebop2 out to 2.8 km with phone and wifi extender ...
And without, 4-500 meters.
And you have waipoints, and automated flightplan with bebop's
The spark should be able to that also., it is 2-3 years newer then the bebops, so would be a matter of programming..
Another BIG issue. IMO is the missing realtime minimap on screen, when only using the phone as remote.. I know range is limited to 100 m and you should be able to see it at that range.. But would be noce to toggle it on/off.. Again. A programming question...
PLEASE. dji. Improve theese functions, and you would have a greater drone..
2018-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules