Drone hit Canadian airliner: minister
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, this is not very good news to see on the evening internet blurbs~!!!!

Even with the over legislation of drones up in Canada, it didn't help with this stupid act.  Goes to show that bad  things can happen no matter what you try to enforce. altitude of about 500 yards (450 meters) and roughly two miles (three kilometers) from the airport, according to Le Journal de Quebec newspaper...

This is sad / bad news for us. Negative press never helps.

Rich

Link to news

AAtuB1q.jpg
2017-10-15
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Rich,

Yes, it’s a piece of bad news which will impair all those drone pilots who diligently observed all relevant safety rules!

Any more details of that piece of news will be appreciated.

Henry
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

It is a bad news, have no idea if it is DJI drone since we have limited our own drone to fly in those locations such as prisons, nuclear power plants and other sensitive areas where flying may raise non-aviation security concerns, especially the airports.
2017-10-15
Use props
PetLabarak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65512 ft
Canada

NFZ is there, ok but why altittude limit is still a settings ? Why not limit the altitude to the country law like 90m in Canada.
If for a reason you need to fly higher you ask for an unlock code like NFZ...
2017-10-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-10-15 21:42
Hi Rich,

Yes, it’s a piece of bad news which will impair all those drone pilots who diligently observed all relevant safety rules!

Hi Henry,
The media really likes to use the negative drone events to waive their agenda.  I could not find much more information from our local sources and the media groups try stringing together other events on the same page to make this look like a huge problem and scare people.
Rich
More info
2017-10-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-15 22:49
It is a bad news, have no idea if it is DJI drone since we have limited our own drone to fly in those locations such as prisons, nuclear power plants and other sensitive areas where flying may raise non-aviation security concerns, especially the airports.

Hi Mindy,

certainly a sad event for sure and the type of drone was not disclosed in the article. The media tends to Scare first and provide little information as possible. I was only showing the report of interest and not pointing fingers to DJI.

Rich
2017-10-16
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-16 07:24
Hi Henry,
The media really likes to use the negative drone events to waive their agenda.  I could not find much more information from our local sources and the media groups try stringing together other events on the same page to make this look like a huge problem and scare people.
Rich

And this piece of news also appeared in HK newspaper in this morning. There was not enough details from the news for readers to ascertain any further particulars.

Regardless of what may have actually happened, one thing for sure will definitely come to us drone pilots-more rules and more / larger NFZ.

henry
2017-10-16
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-16 07:24
Hi Henry,
Rich

And this piece of news also appeared in HK newspaper in this morning. There was not enough details from the news for readers to ascertain any further particulars.

Regardless of what might have actually happened, one thing for sure will definitely come to us drone pilots-more rules and more / larger NFZ.

henry
2017-10-16
Use props
Donnie *
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just wonder if they are sure it was a "drone"strike and not a "bird"  strike .  from reading the article it did not seem like they had concrete proof .  Maybe their will be a follow up story to this .  

Thanks for sharing Rich

donnie
2017-10-16
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

if people could just follow rules and not take risks nig or small it would be much better for use all. +1 Donnie lets hope for the Bird.
2017-10-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-10-16 08:05
Just wonder if they are sure it was a "drone"strike and not a "bird"  strike .  from reading the article it did not seem like they had concrete proof .  Maybe their will be a follow up story to this .  

Thanks for sharing Rich

Hi Capt. Donnie

I would like to know how they determined the drone hit them, any evidence?  I to, hope this was more in line with a bird strike. But we would never know unless they produce a drone motor stuck in the leading edge of the aircraft wing.  Really a sad thing to read about in the news, we really do not need this type of publicity!

Rich
2017-10-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-10-16 07:51

Regardless of what might have actually happened, one thing for sure will definitely come to us drone pilots-more rules and more / larger NFZ.

Yah I agree, even if this was not a drone, because it was published in the media,  they will use any of these events against the drone hobbyists.

PS, many drones do not have NFZ enforced on them.... so only the honest people will be affected.
Rich
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-16 07:27
Hi Mindy,

certainly a sad event for sure and the type of drone was not disclosed in the article. The media tends to Scare first and provide little information as possible. I was only showing the report of interest and not pointing fingers to DJI.

I understand, really hope all pilots will follow the rules and be cautious on flying.
2017-10-17
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Why doesn't DJI enforce the distance and height limit similar to the NFZs?
Without the app it is limited to 50m but with the app running you can specify essentially anything in there. I understand that limiting the distance to 500m and height to 100m will make many pilots scream but if that's the law, you need to proof you have a consent. Just like the NFZs.
2017-10-17
Use props
Donnie *
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-16 18:37
Hi Capt. Donnie

I would like to know how they determined the drone hit them, any evidence?  I to, hope this was more in line with a bird strike. But we would never know unless they produce a drone motor stuck in the leading edge of the aircraft wing.  Really a sad thing to read about in the news, we really do not need this type of publicity!

Yes I agree , would like to see some proof but the bad press is already out, so even if it was a bird strike the damage is already done.

donnie
2017-10-17
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Must agree with you Rich. Pretty DUMB!  Fortunately no one was hurt.
2017-10-17
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129600 ft
United Kingdom

A very similar incident occurred here in the UK last year. It was initially reported as a drone strike, but subsequently believed to be just a plastic bag.

British Airways Drone Strike

2017-10-17
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Lol. I remember that!
2017-10-17
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

PetLabarak Posted at 2017-10-16 05:10
NFZ is there, ok but why altittude limit is still a settings ? Why not limit the altitude to the country law like 90m in Canada.

First of all, there is zero proof this had anything to do with a drone strike.
As for enforcing limits: you do understand that 90 meters is for recreational flyers, commercial operations are governed by SFOC from TC (in Canada) and not the 90 meters, all depends on the permit.
2017-10-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Certainly is bad news. Even if it is true. It alters opinions.
2017-10-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-10-17 04:52
Must agree with you Rich. Pretty DUMB!  Fortunately no one was hurt.

Yes, it is pretty dumb .. if this is legit .. glad no one is hurt for sure. But anytime the media uses a drone (WORD) they get attention   usually negative unfortunately for us.

nothing more will be herd about this again most likely.

Rich
2017-10-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-17 11:50
Certainly is bad news. Even if it is true. It alters opinions.

agree with you

Rich
2017-10-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

WernerD Posted at 2017-10-17 01:21
Why doesn't DJI enforce the distance and height limit similar to the NFZs?
Without the app it is limited to 50m but with the app running you can specify essentially anything in there. I understand that limiting the distance to 500m and height to 100m will make many pilots scream but if that's the law, you need to proof you have a consent. Just like the NFZs.

This is not the job of DJI and anything can be hacked. The pilot is responsible for how the drone is flown, nobody else.

We don't need big brother telling how high to fly and commercial pilots now how to manage their aircraft. The cheap toy drones have no limits at all and most of them that pay 50 - 150 bucks  don't care about rules

Rich
2017-10-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-10-17 10:23
First of all, there is zero proof this had anything to do with a drone strike.
As for enforcing limits: you do understand that 90 meters is for recreational flyers, commercial operations are governed by SFOC from TC (in Canada) and not the 90 meters, all depends on the permit.

agree with you cougar

Rich
2017-10-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-10-17 04:23
Yes I agree , would like to see some proof but the bad press is already out, so even if it was a bird strike the damage is already done.

donnie

right on brother Donnie...

Rich
2017-10-17
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-17 17:06
agree with you cougar

Rich

Rich, the sad thing about this story like all other so called drone incidents, is peoples perception regarding drones.

The boy who cried wolf.
2017-10-17
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Germany

RE: Drone hit Canadian airliner: minister

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-17 17:04
This is not the job of DJI and anything can be hacked. The pilot is responsible for how the drone is flown, nobody else.

We don't need big brother telling how high to fly and commercial pilots now how to manage their aircraft. The cheap toy drones have no limits at all and most of them that pay 50 - 150 bucks  don't care about rules

Correct. And because of that you get news reels like that. Goal is to prevent stupid things happening to stupid people.
Everybody can and should be able to relax the limitiations.

This of course is not better than everybody flying responsible but since that is not going to happen you only have the choice between no drone flying at all, transponders inside the drones or my proposal. Out of these three I prefer mine.
2017-10-17
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-17 17:00
Yes, it is pretty dumb .. if this is legit .. glad no one is hurt for sure. But anytime the media uses a drone (WORD) they get attention   usually negative unfortunately for us.

nothing more will be herd about this again most likely.

The story is legitimate. It was cited in several credible newsletters that I receive. He had it as high as it would go within a couple of miles of the Airport and at that distance the Airliners are usually around 12-1500 feet AGL. Luckily it didn't get sucked into the engine. If a bird can stop one I am sure a quad will. My stomach gets tight when I can't see my P4P or Inspire. I don't like that at all. Takes all of the fun out of flying. Now that I have my FAA Remote Pilot License I am even more aware of where I am flying and what I should and can do. So doing something out of bounds and knowing that it would be wrong is unsettling as well and again takes away from the enjoyment of flying.
2017-10-18
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

PetLabarak Posted at 2017-10-16 05:10

Because it's hard to determine if your legally flying up a hill or mountain side. Don't ever let someone else take your rights away to fly smart. Are you good for a 50hp 110km governor on your car? lol
2017-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules