Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UAV pilot sited for flying near airport and emergency operations
2137 29 2017-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

http://www.nixle.us/9MZ35

This guy was flying AT the airport, in a TFR, and during emergency operations. I hope the fullest extent of the law is opened like a can of whoopass on this guy.
2017-10-15
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Looks like it isn't in the DJI NFZ database.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

What an idiot..that 10 min where no emergency flights could safely take off and land may have cost lives and what makes him think its cool to fly drones at an open airport in first place... 24 years old and no brains
2017-10-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Said he didn't know it was illegal? there are wild fires all over several counties, smoke everywhere, on the news, helicopters and planes flying to assist with controlling the fires. He could have used just a bit of common sense, ya think.
2017-10-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

dancopter Posted at 2017-10-15 23:15

It is in DJI's database, but it's a "Warning Zone", which isn't checked by default when you look at the GEO map online. In any case, GEO really isn't something anyone should be relying on to figure out where they can and can't fly; it's ultimately the pilot's responsibility.
2017-10-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-16 06:57
Said he didn't know it was illegal? there are wild fires all over several counties, smoke everywhere, on the news, helicopters and planes flying to assist with controlling the fires. He could have used just a bit of common sense, ya think.

Said he didn't know it was illegal?

That could well be the truth for all I know, but it doesn't matter: ignorance of the law (or regulations) isn't a valid defense. And if he was flying a DJI aircraft then the manual would have told him not to fly near airports.
2017-10-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-16 08:55
It is in DJI's database, but it's a "Warning Zone", which isn't checked by default when you look at the GEO map online. In any case, GEO really isn't something anyone should be relying on to figure out where they can and can't fly; it's ultimately the pilot's responsibility.

"it's ultimately the pilot's responsibility."

Second this; I typically fly to an area where a couple of miles away there's a power plant. I also get a yellow bubble warning that it's nearby and to fly with caution. I don't go anywhere near to that plant period. I don't how curious one becomes, you just can't cross those lines.
2017-10-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

It’s possible the guy didn’t know he was breaking the law and it was possible is was not a DJI quad.. believe it or not but there are other quad manufacturers... anyone can buy a quad and stupid can’t be fixed, so this kind of stuff is going to happen now and then...
2017-10-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i dont understand why people like this..  like i get the urge to follow emergency services, i think that's natural curiosity, but why do people insist on basically getting in the way.. more than drones, i see it everywhere.   

like i get it, living life on the edge or overly curious about it..but seriously, if emergency response going on or zone shut down when normally isn't, be respectful and buzz off.  never know even tho i normally say treetops are safe because should never be any planes in tree tops, that could be why the zone is shut down, someone lost engines and limited lift/no lift and close to scrubbing tree tops...  so many other places to fly.... could driove 5 minutes another direction end up in safe area... why do this?  stupid..

i dont care if this was legal or not, its stupid that alone means should not happen..  
2017-10-16
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

When I first saw the original Mavic Pro in Costco stores (big-box retailer over here in the states), I thought, ‘uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood, now anybody/everybody will be buying one.’  I’m not saying this is the case here (don’t even know what kind of drone it was), but I will consider this proof because it makes me feel better.  I wish everybody would read the manual cover-to-cover before launching...
2017-10-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tombolian Posted at 2017-10-16 10:06
When I first saw the original Mavic Pro in Costco stores (big-box retailer over here in the states), I thought, ‘uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood, now anybody/everybody will be buying one.’  I’m not saying this is the case here (don’t even know what kind of drone it was), but I will consider this proof because it makes me feel better.  I wish everybody would read the manual cover-to-cover before launching...

"I thought, ‘uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood, now anybody/everybody will be buying one.’ "

I'm with you on this.

I feel the same way about sportbikes/motorcycles. There are folks that should not even be behind the throttle but they are. No stopping them.
2017-10-16
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

Yep, kind of irrelevant that he didn't know it was illegal. How about some good ol common sense to not impede emergency responders, you know, like when you see a Fire Engine flying down the road with lights and sirens, get out of the way and pull over. I hope they fine him and have him there for all the clean up for his community service. That way he gets to see first hand and up close all the devastation he gets to record in his pee-sized brain. Fortunately my family's property was saved but so many around us lost their homes and livelihood.
2017-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You just can't fix stupid I guess.
2017-10-16
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Why would it have to be?  DJI aren't the official repository for no fly zones.  Thats the FAA.
Its the users responsibility to check whether its legal or not using the proper sources.  Its not DJIs job to keep track of every single flight restriction on the planet.

Throw the book at him, anyone with a shred of common sense would have decided not to fly in the area due to whats going on even if the drone says it can.  
2017-10-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-16 11:53
You just can't fix stupid I guess.

exactly!   lets imagine it wasn't illegal.. still retarded.  

i would be maybe little more understanding if he was unaware of airport proximity and surrounding events because ..i dont know i feel like i be more accepting of that excuse.. not that it makes it any less stupid., since airports are fairly difficult to miss.   but he obviously knew and thus got in the way and did so only because he failed to realize the legality of it...  so his logic is it is ok to impede emergency service..if it is legal... some people really need to be ended..

2017-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-10-16 17:18
exactly!   lets imagine it wasn't illegal.. still retarded.  

i would be maybe little more understanding if he was unaware of airport proximity and surrounding events because ..i dont know i feel like i be more accepting of that excuse.. not that it makes it any less stupid., since airports are fairly difficult to miss.   but he obviously knew and thus got in the way and did so only because he failed to realize the legality of it...  so his logic is it is ok to impede emergency service..if it is legal... some people really need to be ended..

Not nice indeed.
2017-10-17
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Ignorance is no excuse. Common sense says you don't fly where emergency or any aircraft are flying. even if it is a farmer's field. It is UAV flyers like him that is gong to rune it for the rest of us.
2017-10-17
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I hope he will spend some time studing DJI manuals and drone law in jail....
2017-10-17
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Pumavic Posted at 2017-10-16 10:18
Yep, kind of irrelevant that he didn't know it was illegal. How about some good ol common sense to not impede emergency responders, you know, like when you see a Fire Engine flying down the road with lights and sirens, get out of the way and pull over. I hope they fine him and have him there for all the clean up for his community service. That way he gets to see first hand and up close all the devastation he gets to record in his pee-sized brain. Fortunately my family's property was saved but so many around us lost their homes and livelihood.

Exactly ...he should have used some common sense.Im glad to hear your families place was saved as like u said so many peoples homes had not.
2017-10-17
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

DJ Enertia Posted at 2017-10-17 04:00
Exactly ...he should have used some common sense.Im glad to hear your families place was saved as like u said so many peoples homes had not.

Thank you very much. Ironically I did use my drone to keep an eye on the beast lurking. It was so convenient to just shoot straight up to peer over ridges, my dad was blown away to see me fly for the first time. He wanted to jump in the truck and I said hold on pop, we'll send the drone. Also big thanks to Australia that came to Cali's aid at a very dark moment. Peace.
2017-10-17
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Hi, I'm Forrest.  Forrest Gump.
2017-10-17
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-17 03:19
I hope he will spend some time studing DJI manuals and drone law in jail....

They are regs, not law in the USA.
2017-10-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-17 10:59
Hi, I'm Forrest.  Forrest Gump.

"My momma used to say FAA enforcement actions are like a box of chocolates . . . "
2017-10-17
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

If it's a TFR , it won't be in most databases, since it's temporary.  Probably a more serious incursion than warning zones.  Still the PIC's responsibility to be aware.  Hopefully the FAA will get it's act together some day and provide a comprehensive real-time solution.
2017-10-17
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-10-17 11:46
If it's a TFR , it won't be in most databases, since it's temporary.  Probably a more serious incursion than warning zones.  Still the PIC's responsibility to be aware.  Hopefully the FAA will get it's act together some day and provide a comprehensive real-time solution.

LOL @ PIC!!

If he's not Part 61 certified (of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations), then how'd he break regs?  This will have to be criminal mischief or the like.

realpic.jpg
childrc.jpg
2017-10-17
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-17 21:32
LOL @ PIC!!

If he's not Part 61 certified (of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations), then how'd he break regs?  This will have to be criminal mischief or the like.

I think you're probably correct. The FAA's regulatory authority over 'model  aircraft' is weak (or non-existent ... for the moment).  However, state and municipal rules will probably nail the guy, regardless of FAA's action.
2017-10-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-10-18 04:42
I think you're probably correct. The FAA's regulatory authority over 'model  aircraft' is weak (or non-existent ... for the moment).  However, state and municipal rules will probably nail the guy, regardless of FAA's action.

Let's hope so.  But seriously, I put the pic of the kid because...  What then?  Prosecute under 18?  This particular complete buffoon was only 24.  He knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

These people don't have much to lose (a fine? 30 days jail?).  I'd lose ALL of my flight certificates worth years, 2 degrees, & $100s of thousands (plus my means of income).  It'd mean MILLIONS to me...  Think I'm careful when I fly my drone?

2017-10-18
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-17 11:01
They are regs, not law in the USA.

Yes, but "The FAA may pursue enforcement action against anyone operating model aircraft in a way that endangers the safety of the national airspace system."
2017-10-18
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

There you have it more reasons to come down of drones beyond words
2017-10-21
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4