Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
bloated boat
2197 30 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gsp171
lvl.4

United States

they talk about light bridge, not such a big deal, they did not talk about control frequency range, added proximity sensors to burden battery, added light bridge to burden battery, 4k processing to burden battery, more powerful motors to burden this existing platform battery, this is the same form fit an function as Phantom 2 with many additional burdens and NO talk of some very high end battery to power this shit.

battery capacity drives the boat, and this bloated boat wont go far

2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.3

United States

stated time is 23 minutes so yes still limited by battery technology
2015-4-8
Use props
gsp171
lvl.4

United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-9 02:06

23=12   ,,,
2015-4-8
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.3

United States

Light bridge technology is the main reason I'm interested. 1.2 mile control and video range!!!!
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, I have flown mine more than 12 min.  But I am not pushing the battery right now.  It is brand-new and not broken in yet.  
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-9 02:06

Interesting comment.  You are correct the stated time on P2 was up to 25 minutes and most people claim 15-18 minutes.  17 minute would be 68% of stated so, 68% of 23=16 minutes.
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 02:09
No, I have flown mine more than 12 min.  But I am not pushing the battery right now.  It is brand- ...

Broken in?  What does that mean?  It gets more efficient as things get looser?
2015-4-8
Use props
gsp171
lvl.4

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 02:12
Interesting comment.  You are correct the stated time on P2 was up to 25 minutes and most people c ...

CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 02:12
Interesting comment.  You are correct the stated time on P2 was up to 25 minutes and most people c ...

And that was a mistake from engineering.  They based that time on a bare P2.  It has been discussed extensively on this and other forums.  I personally have apologized to numerous users that were confused.  I get 15-18 minutes on my P2Z3.  I am expecting at least that much if not more on the P3.
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 02:13
Broken in?  What does that mean?  It gets more efficient as things get looser?

Have you ever conditioned your batteries? The craft will fly as delivered the batteries should not be drained on the first few uses.  Just my opinion.
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 02:22
Have you ever conditioned your batteries? The craft will fly as delivered the batteries should not ...

No I have not.  In fact the DJI manual says to drain you batteries every 20 time.  This "first few times" is new to me.  Do you have a link that discusses this technic because that would be interesting to read.

Thanks
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 02:28
No I have not.  In fact the DJI manual says to drain you batteries every 20 time.  This "first few ...

That is different and has to do with the Smart battery tech so that it does not retain a memory in the battery.  I have many lipos ranging from 21,000mAh to 1,000 mAh.  I treat them all the same the first 5-10 flights I do not deplete them over 50%.  After that, I have flown down to 0% with the smart batteries.  But I was conscious of what I was doing and was doing it for a purpose.
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 02:34
That is different and has to do with the Smart battery tech so that it does not retain a memory in  ...

I am out of my comfort zone here so I will stick with the manual.  Thank you for your information.
2015-4-8
Use props
Bratinov
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Would be great if we could get 20 minutes before the low battery warning kicks in
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bratinov Posted at 2015-4-9 02:45
Would be great if we could get 20 minutes before the low battery warning kicks in

It depends on where you have you critical level set.  On my Inspire it is set to 10%.
2015-4-8
Use props
Bratinov
lvl.1

Bulgaria

10% is kinda scary
Might do that when I get some experience.  
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

rdc4444@hotmail Posted at 2015-4-9 02:08
Light bridge technology is the main reason I'm interested. 1.2 mile control and video range!!!!

This means you will lose more quads and then lots of people will be here demanding the DJI "warrant" theirs which went down in a valley over the other side of the mountain.....

2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 02:20
And that was a mistake from engineering.  They based that time on a bare P2.  It has been discusse ...

Interesting you make the comment "mistake from engineering".  So, what you are saying is you know it was not 25 minutes and yet you continued to market it wrong?  Why?
2015-4-8
Use props
subliminal
New

Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 02:22
Have you ever conditioned your batteries? The craft will fly as delivered the batteries should not ...

You are 100% correct. Batteries will always preform better after about 4 complete cycles.
As you mentioned, never drain them right down for about the first 4 cycles.
2015-4-8
Use props
subliminal
New

Australia

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 02:28
No I have not.  In fact the DJI manual says to drain you batteries every 20 time.  This "first few ...

It is a well known fact in regards to all batteries! LiPo, LiOn, Ni-Mh, Ni-cd. Lead Acid, Gel-Tech will ALL increase performance after approximately 4 charge cycles.
You should never fully deplete your cells within the first 4 cycles.

Here is some further information on the subject.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prime_batteries  
2015-4-8
Use props
kleake1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

All of the added electronics don't add that much more power draw in comparison to the motors themselves.  I added Lightbridge to my P2 GH3.  It shortened my flight times by about 2 minutes from what I had before.  I don't think that was much from power draw, I think it was more from the extra weight causing the motors to work harder.  The LB unit is fairly heavy.  Given that LB is now built in better, the weight is quite a bit less so it shouldn't be that much different.  Small updates to other things, I can see 20+ minutes out of a P3.
2015-4-9
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
United States

subliminal Posted at 2015-4-9 07:31
It is a well known fact in regards to all batteries! LiPo, LiOn, Ni-Mh, Ni-cd. Lead Acid, Gel-Tech ...

If it is a well know fact. 1. I did not know this for LiPo batteries and 2. Apparently DJI did not know since the recommend the opposite in the manuals.  Lastly the website you listed does not list LiPo batteries.  Is it possible I should go to Snopes to see if this common knowledge is in fact folk lore along with peach pits will cure cancer?  
2015-4-9
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 03:30
Interesting you make the comment "mistake from engineering".  So, what you are saying is you know  ...

no , I think he mentioned that the numbers are based upon a bare p2 , which is actually not wrong.
I have a p2 v1 with a small cgo-1 camera under it. This quad is LIGHT After holding my vision plus and then picking the p2v1 up the difference is very large.
The basic P2 is very very light.

I flew the p2v1(3.08) the other night  and flew for over 14 minutes and battery still had 60 %. This is my trouble free battery (so far).
So I could see that with this phantom, on that day, I may have hit 22+ minutes if I cared to risk it.

I was surprised how much battery was left as I would have had to land the plus much sooner usually.

I would imagine once folks load it up with extra gear flight time will drop rapidly with the weight
2015-4-9
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-10 01:31
If it is a well know fact. 1. I did not know this for LiPo batteries and 2. Apparently DJI did not ...

what is your issue dude?

do you wait for others todo everything for you?

google is your friend , use it to do RESEARCH on your own like 95% of those here do
2015-4-9
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-10 10:15
what is your issue dude?

do you wait for others todo everything for you?

Not sure why you have decided to harsh my buzz man.  I too love google and do plenty of research, that is why I bought P2V+ and found my way here BUT I also know there is a lot of BS on the net by know-it-alls like....  

Anyway, outside of Google I read the owner manual and IT says nothing about this battery conditioning for THESE batteries.  In fact it says just the opposite of this.  When asking the difference it is clear I am trying to reconcile the two and unlike some people I am more skeptical of "common knowledge" because some must of it has be prove to be like the people that quote it.

Now please ignore my postings (as I will ignore yours) and go back to UFO watching.  

Thank you for your time
2015-4-10
Use props
subliminal
New

Australia

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-10 01:31
If it is a well know fact. 1. I did not know this for LiPo batteries and 2. Apparently DJI did not ...

Ok ill rephrase that.

I it a well known fact amongst people who are into RC however, do you not own a mobile phone? Have you never read the manual on charging your battery that comes with your phone?
2015-4-19
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.3

United States

snopes lol...no wonder....
2015-4-19
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
United States

Jerdel Posted at 2015-4-20 06:32
snopes lol...no wonder....

Snopes does not address this topic yet.
2015-4-19
Use props
grangerfx
First Officer
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I am interested in how the new battery performs. It is 4480mAh vs 5200mAh for the Phantom 2. That may not tell it all though since the new battery has 68Wh vs 57.72Wh for the old one and 15.2V vs 11.1V respectively. The real question is does 23 minutes now mean 23 minutes or is that as much as a pie in the sky fantasy as the 25 minutes for the Phantom 2?
2015-4-19
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The P2 flight times people have complained about were based on a light P2 but most owners bulked their machine up with a camera and gimbal.
The P3 doesn't have a stripped down lightweight version like the P2 so flight times should be based on a machine just like you buy and times should be closer to what you can achieve.
2015-4-20
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.3

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-4-20 18:56
The P2 flight times people have complained about were based on a light P2 but most owners bulked the ...

Im hoping this is true although I had great fly times with my P2v+v3
2015-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules