Propeller Guards
1708 32 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft
United Kingdom

I'm looking at buying some prop guards for me P3P and i would like the quick release ones but looking on Amazon i find i'm struggling to find the DJI prop guards, can anyone shed some light on where i can buy DJI quick release guards from, or if they are sold on Amazon where do i look to find the right page.
2017-10-16
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

As far as I know, DJI does not make any quick-release prop guards for the P3.  Unless they came out with them just recently, but I don't see any mention of such a thing on DJI's site.  You will need to buy aftermarket ones if you want quick release.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

There is only one kind of DJI Propeller Guards, but it is not the quick release. https://store.dji.com/product/ph ... r-guard?from=search
2017-10-16
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-16 20:28
There is only one kind of DJI Propeller Guards, but it is not the quick release. https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-propeller-guard?from=search

Thanks Susan, can we buy these in the uk? if so where from I've looked all over.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-17 00:33
Thanks Susan, can we buy these in the uk? if so where from I've looked all over.

Change the Region to the UK, you'll be able to purchase it in the UK from DJI online store.  Here you are,  https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-propeller-guard?from=search .   1.png
2017-10-17
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-17 00:33

I;ve found a camera store in the uk that sells the DJI propeller guards for £15. These are fixed all the time to the drone,  I could do with removing them after flying though thats why I wanted the quick release prop guard.

I guess there is a carry/hard case that take a phantom 3  with prop guards that are left on the drone. I could do with an hard case anyway.
2017-10-17
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-17 00:53
I;ve found a camera store in the uk that sells the DJI propeller guards for £15. These are fixed all the time to the drone,  I could do with removing them after flying though thats why I wanted the quick release prop guard.

I guess there is a carry/hard case that take a phantom 3  with prop guards that are left on the drone. I could do with an hard case anyway.

That would be a huge case especially if you decide to not fly with the guards one day.  I got a set of quick release ones thinking I would use them when I was learning to fly but I never put them on after reading all the threads about cracks in the shell.  I was afraid I would over tighten or not tighten them enough resulting in cracking the shell.  
2017-10-17
Use props
GuitarFlyer47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38747 ft
United States

I bought them on EBay.   My first set I purchased about 3 years ago for my P2, then my P2 Vision plus.   I bought EBay qucik connect guards for my P3 a year ago, and still use them   I do lots of indoor flying for video shoots, and they actually saved my props, and probably my bird a couple times.  For safety, I wouldn't fly without them.   The mount that attaches beneath the motors add structural support, I haven't had any stress cracks show yet.
2017-10-17
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-17 00:47
Change the Region to the UK, you'll be able to purchase it in the UK from DJI online store.  Here you are,  https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-propeller-guard?from=search .  [view_image]

Thanks for this page. how do I change the region?
2017-10-17
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-17 11:15
Thanks for this page. how do I change the region?

If you go to DJI.com, up along the top of the page you will see a blue box that says Store.  Click Store, on the next page in the upper right hand corner you will see the Region it is set for.  To change, click the region and it will have all the regions you can pick from.
2017-10-17
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Phantom One Posted at 2017-10-17 13:30
If you go to DJI.com, up along the top of the page you will see a blue box that says Store.  Click Store, the next page up in the upper right hand corner you will see the Region it is set for.  To change, click the region and it will have all the regions you can pick from.

Sorted, Thanks
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The longer screws only affect the motors if you reuse them, after the prop guards are removed.

Once the prop guards are installed, the longer screws wouldn't be close enough to the motor housing, to have any negative affects what so ever.

DJI Susan, What were you referring to?

When removing the prop guards, be sure to replace back only the OEM shorter screws, under the drones arms.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
sSunSets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Be careful installing your DJI prop-guards. Over tightening screws during installation of them may cause small cracks between the motor screws. Fast flying and fast stops and starts will lead to stress and tension  underside motor mounts. Suggest you tighten firm only then test flight... re-inspect, tighten if needed. But after awhile you'll find you may not need em..... I have mine 4 sale.
2017-10-17
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
United States

sSunSets Posted at 2017-10-17 13:59
Be careful installing your DJI prop-guards. Over tightening screws during installation of them may cause small cracks between the motor screws. Fast flying and fast stops and starts will lead to stress and tension  underside motor mounts. Suggest you tighten firm only then test flight... re-inspect, tighten if needed. But after awhile you'll find you may not need em..... I have mine 4 sale.

Like mentioned above, that's exactly why I decided to fly without them.
2017-10-17
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

I have a setup for P3P and these you can take off, without any tools, I don't use them, so if you don't find any. ..I can take a few photos on them if you like
2017-10-18
Use props
GuitarFlyer47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38747 ft
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-10-17 14:10
Like mentioned above, that's exactly why I decided to fly without them.

If you're mechanically inclined and understanding how to torque a nut or screw, it's common sense that one should not overtighten theses screws.  I used a tiny drop of Loctite, and applied no torque at all when putting the prop guards on.   If the proper length screws are used, which again is common sense, you won't have any issues.  Personally I use the prop guards not only to protect the drone, but anyone around, or the many hawks I have flying in my area.  Three years of flying with prop guards, and no issues.  
2017-10-18
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dioden Posted at 2017-10-18 11:16
I have a setup for P3P and these you can take off, without any tools, I don't use them, so if you don't find any. ..I can take a few photos on them if you like

That would be great and I can see what going on then.
2017-10-18
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-Ph ... :g:XL4AAOSw~oFZw5rV

Just one of several, good hunting.
2017-10-18
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I;ve just order some of amazon Anbee 4pcs snap-on/off quick release. take a look and let me know what you think.

I don't know how to screen shot and upload
I'm going to buy the dji guards soon.
2017-10-18
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-18 11:49
I;ve just order some of amazon Anbee 4pcs snap-on/off quick release. take a look and let me know what you think.

I don't know how to screen shot and upload

Hi Paul,

Checked them out, they look good and solid, hope they are also easy to remove. Although, if you are using propeller guards, you may not need to make a quick getaway quite so often.
2017-10-18
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

The only advantages of prop guards are extra weight and shorter flight times IMHO.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to reiterate some of the info already provided by others, you'd want to ensure that you always use the appropriate screws when installing, dismantling, and vice versa. Prop guard screws, whether from the DJI prop guards or aftermarket ones, are longer than the stock screws for the motors. If you take off the prop guards, you always want to ensure you put the stock ones back on. If you don't you're risking screwing right into the motor and damaging it when you screw in all the way. That kind of damage is always considered a non warranty situation.
2017-10-18
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

One of the reasons for using propeller guards is that I want to video rock climbers climbing in the Derbyshire Peak District which is well known for the grit and lime stone rock faces. I also want to video indoors as well, I work at an indoor rock climbing centre and practicing flying and videoing in the close proximity of climbers will be done indoors. I want to be as safe as I can while flying and also for the safety of others.

grateful for the feedback
2017-10-18
Use props
sSunSets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hi, In your case Paul it's a prefect solution and a must I'd say. But the my guards offered flight resistance and a shorter flight time. Yet I fly in open fields with low risk to obstruction and on people. I just wanted to trick it out and be safe. Just monitor the plastic underside screw area if you modify the bird.
2017-10-18
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-10-18 13:42
Just to reiterate some of the info already provided by others, you'd want to ensure that you always use the appropriate screws when installing, dismantling, and vice versa. Prop guard screws, whether from the DJI prop guards or aftermarket ones, are longer than the stock screws for the motors. If you take off the prop guards, you always want to ensure you put the stock ones back on. If you don't you're risking screwing right into the motor and damaging it when you screw in all the way. That kind of damage is always considered a non warranty situation.

Thanks Jamie,

Shall I leave the screws that come with the prop guards and only use the ones I take off the drone then, is that what you are saying. I see in the description from the guards that I'm buying that there are 4 screw holes per guard yet the DJI guards only have 2 holes so may be I should wait and buy the DJI guards?

Last thing I want to do is cause any damage.
2017-10-18
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-18 11:36

The ones I have, you can take off when you don't need them, without any tools. I will have a go on this tomorrow.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-18 22:21
Thanks Jamie,

Shall I leave the screws that come with the prop guards and only use the ones I take off the drone then, is that what you are saying. I see in the description from the guards that I'm buying that there are 4 screw holes per guard yet the DJI guards only have 2 holes so may be I should wait and buy the DJI guards?

If you're planning to leave the prop guards on, then you're fine using the screws the guards come with, because they'll be long enough to support/secure both the shell and the extra plastic of the prop guards. If you take them off for any reason, then you'll need to put the shorter stock screws back in.

DJI's P3 prop guards only have 2 screws because they don't completely cover the bottom of the motor, so there would be two longer prop guard screws holding them to the shell while two of the stock screws are left in place: prop guard coverage.JPG

If you're getting 3rd party ones that are completely covering the bottom of the motor, then having four screws sounds about right. It all really depends on the design of the prop guard you're using.

Hope this clarifies a bit.
prop guard coverage.JPG
2017-10-19
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-18 11:36

This is how they look, can't remember where I bought them but I have used them once only.

Prop Guards

Prop Guards
2017-10-19
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for the photo info guys. When I come to fitting the guards all I do is take the screws out whether it’s 2 or 4 then put the base plate of the guard on then re-screw and that’s the job done. Then when it comes to fitting the guards they just clip into place.
2017-10-20
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-20 00:39
Thanks for the photo info guys. When I come to fitting the guards all I do is take the screws out whether it’s 2 or 4 then put the base plate of the guard on then re-screw and that’s the job done. Then when it comes to fitting the guards they just clip into place.

Yes, but you have to swap the screws with those that came with the guards, otherwise they will be too short
2017-10-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

And put those phantom screws in a safe place where you can find them easily.  And when you eventually go about taking the guards off, DON'T use the longer guard screws or you will trash your motors as countless others have done.  Use the original phantom screws.  Very important.
2017-10-20
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

quadpilot Posted at 2017-10-20 10:59
i found they cause a problem in slightly windy conditions
but if you are using them for indoor use then fine, also tilt your camera down a little
otherwise you will see the prop guards in you video play back

Quadpilot, do you know of any drone clubs about? plus are you anywhere near Nottingham?
2017-10-20
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've just recieved my new quick release propeller guards but I don't think I'm going to use them after seeing a video on youtube about the weight and cracks caused by the heavier guards. I will buy the DJI prop guards instead. Has anyone thats used the quick release guards have found that they have caused any cracks on their drones.
2017-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules