Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone hits a commercial plane for the first time in Canada
1717 15 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

There you go, finally happened. Good grief. Our hobby days are numbered. If I am DJI, I would diversify now. It just too many of them. Too many.

Drone hits a commercial plane for the first time in Canada
2017-10-16
Use props
fans464c96e6
lvl.3

Canada

Shouldnt they provide sometime proof of this crash.. i've heard these stories before and it never turns out to be a drone.
2017-10-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans464c96e6 Posted at 2017-10-16 09:32
Shouldnt they provide sometime proof of this crash.. i've heard these stories before and it never turns out to be a drone.

im on the same boat as you..  all these drone hit claims and half or more of them go unproven or no one gets found.. and no follow ups EVER?   

you think especially with military cases, like staten island one, that someone will be hunted down and found because lets face it, serial number, and unlimited resources and damage to a insanely expensive aircraft that required immediate landing, yet.. story just ends with nothing..? not even a follow up?!?
2017-10-16
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

And to make matters worse, there's people that actually created fake drone strikes videos, like the one of a hit Southwest Airlines wing tip...
2017-10-16
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's all about the perception and not at all about the fact. The perception is that drones are hitting the airplanes and something must be done about it. For us, it's all bad news and none of them is good.
2017-10-16
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Garneau said that the drone was flying at around 1,500 feet, three miles from the airport -- 500 feet above the legal limit. The plane landed safely and sustained only minor damage, but "it could have been a lot more serious," he told the CBC.

Any aircraft in an ATC (air traffic control) area around airports must have clearance to be there, and drones aren't permitted above 90 meters (about 300 feet) in Canada, under penalty of a $3,000 fine.

- in one paragraph they state "1500' - 500' above the legal limit" then in the next paragraph they state the limit as 300' - wouldn't that make this drone 1,200' above the limit and not 500'. I get the impression this journalist doesn't know what they are writing about - thats my perception!
2017-10-16
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

If our drones were really that dangerous to manned aircrafts, then how come no terrorists have used them yet to try to down airplanes?
In Syria and Iraq ISIS attaches grenades to their drones, therefore all UAV - also model airplanes - are potentially very dangerous.
Why do the people of the USA and Canada fear drones, yet anybody may own dozens of the most lethal firearms imaginable in those countries and nobody appears to be worried?
2017-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Waiting for more regulations....
2017-10-16
Use props
Quadified
lvl.1
United States

Wow, that's messed up! If this is true, and the person is found, they should be punished to the maximum. If it is all proven of course.
I say these things as the person is going against the laws/regulations for drone users and placing us all in a bad spot if this is all proven.

But, who knows what really happened or what it was....

2017-10-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Quadified Posted at 2017-10-16 12:33
Wow, that's messed up! If this is true, and the person is found, they should be punished to the maximum. If it is all proven of course.
I say these things as the person is going against the laws/regulations for drone users and placing us all in a bad spot if this is all proven.

i doubt they can prove anything.. most of these stories end up dying out...no follow ups, no further investigations, just initial "strike" from the media.   my question is ...was it really a drone?  personally i think this is just more anti drone propaganda until it is proven otherwise.   you have to remember, speed that aircraft was traveling and height would make identifying a drone from a bird, or drill or socket wrench or anything you can imagine within reason..  very difficult. and birds can actually do A LOT of damage if they right size and hit wrong place.. and birds are waaay more likely to strike an aircraft than a drone, a lot more large heavy birds migrating right now than are drones screwing with
manned aircraft pilots at 1500 feet AGL..
2017-10-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

MARSAN Posted at 2017-10-16 11:03
If our drones were really that dangerous to manned aircrafts, then how come no terrorists have used them yet to try to down airplanes?
In Syria and Iraq ISIS attaches grenades to their drones, therefore all UAV - also model airplanes - are potentially very dangerous.
Why do the people of the USA and Canada fear drones, yet anybody may own dozens of the most lethal firearms imaginable in those countries and nobody appears to be worried?

Why do people from USA and Canada fear drones.

Has Belgium not got the most Arbitrary drone laws in All of Europe. I guess there must also be a lot of fear in Belgium .
2017-10-16
Use props
Quadified
lvl.1
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-10-16 13:10
i doubt they can prove anything.. most of these stories end up dying out...no follow ups, no further investigations, just initial "strike" from the media.   my question is ...was it really a drone?  personally i think this is just more anti drone propaganda until it is proven otherwise.   you have to remember, speed that aircraft was traveling and height would make identifying a drone from a bird, or drill or socket wrench or anything you can imagine within reason..  very difficult. and birds can actually do A LOT of damage if they right size and hit wrong place.. and birds are waaay more likely to strike an aircraft than a drone, a lot more large heavy birds migrating right now than are drones screwing with
manned aircraft pilots at 1500 feet AGL..

Yeah, I understand that. It seems odd that someone would be flying a drone at that height and closeness to an airport. But, once the media gets the word out, Drone Pilots suffer.
2017-10-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-16 13:40

Has Belgium not got the most Arbitrary drone laws in All of Europe. I guess there must also be a lot of fear in Belgium .

I don't think it's limited to just those two countries, but in any case the U.S. has more liberal drone regulations than many western countries. But to answer the "why", I suppose it's because the media constantly tells them that they should be afraid and most people never have reason to doubt it or think differently.
2017-10-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-16 13:40

i dont think it is 'fear" ..   i might be wrong on this but i think what it is is is the media is out to make money and what sell...sadly what sell the most clicks and ads, negative news, disasters, and drones causing those disasters is one of the bigger ones....

any fear is a result of the media spewing crap out in a non coherent manner. no follow ups, no investigations that are coherent, no challenges to investigations or information.. whatever they hear must be true..  not a political thing either since both sides do it and do it A LOT..

i have a neighbor that hates me to no end because i fly my drone, calls the police and the police shake their heads and like, cool story bro...i apologize for them wasting their time on this, since the old cranky guy is not going to..because he think i'm with isis or something..whatever saw on TV last about drones.. im guessing next time i fly he will call me a plane crasher..
2017-10-16
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

On both incidents (this one and the Black Hawk in NY) the drones were the most injured.... other than minor scratches, absolutely nothing happened to the manned aircrafts or its crew / pax.... #DRONEPARANOIA
2017-10-16
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-16 13:58

I don't think it's limited to just those two countries, but in any case the U.S. has more liberal drone regulations than many western countries. But to answer the "why", I suppose it's because the media constantly tells them that they should be afraid and most people never have reason to doubt it or think differently.

It's a smoke screen to hide the real problem:
<sarcasm on>
Drones (excluding military drones) are very very very dangerous,
but firearms are very very very good.
<sarcasm off>
2017-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules