Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A few Spark questions and concerns...
12Next >
2351 49 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmd610
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85200 ft
United States

Ok, a couple questions I'll just throw out there hoping someone can help.  I have the DJI Spark, with the RC and an Android phone.

1.  Yesterday the Spark decended on it's own without any warning or notice.  I was hovering for a photo at about 50' in the air, about 100' away and I experienced an "Aircraft Disconnected" message when the Spark decended about 20' before I regained control --- missed flying into a tree by a couple feet.  Thoughts?

2.  I am getting a fair amount of "Aircraft Disconnected" messages mid-flight.  Most times I am able to control the RC throughout until it reconnects, but yesterday (see above) was the first time I lost control of the craft.  Thoughts?

3.  Today during test flights, the battery percentage counter did not count down.  It was stuck at the percentage where I started.  I landed, reset everything and took off again (same battery) and I showed a lower percentage (which appeared to match the battery indicator lights), but again it stayed at the percentage (50%) throughout the entire 3 minute flight.  ....once again I landed, reset everything and I got a reading of about 30%, but again the percentage indicator didn't change during the third flight.  Thoughts?

4.  When I check the WiFi connections before a flight...I don't see the "blue" bar indicating the current channel any longer.  I was seeing that a few weeks back but for the last few flights I'm not seeing this.  Thoughts?

5.  Is there an OTG cable for Andriod?

Thank you for your responses....
2017-10-16
Use props
SureSecure™
New
Flight distance : 108219 ft
United Kingdom

You will soon be adding no.6  Why is the battery detaching itself in-flight and does anyone have a solution?
2017-10-16
Use props
ArnodePee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194718 ft
Netherlands

Yes, there is an OTG cable for Android, but it's not supported (yet)
2017-10-16
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072JY1RFP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good cable for OTG. My android won't work without it.
2017-10-16
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072JY1RFP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-10-16
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would just buy a second-hand iPhone 6 and get the Android phone out of the equation.  In truth, DJI GO Apps doesn't support the Android phone.
2017-10-16
Use props
SureSecure™
New
Flight distance : 108219 ft
United Kingdom

SureSecure™ Posted at 2017-10-16 10:49
You will soon be adding no.6  Why is the battery detaching itself in-flight and does anyone have a solution?

For no.6 Click here to stop batteries falling out
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please provide the following information for us to check:
1. For your first question, please export your flight data for us to analyze.
2. What is the date of your flight record when you find the battery error? Please provide the flight record for us.
3. Please enter the wifi setting again and wait for a few minutes. Any channel appear in the interface? If not, please tell me the version of your app and provide the black box data. In addition, what is the model of your device? Please connect your AC and shoot a video about this situation.
Thanks for support.
2017-10-16
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-16 19:12
2. What is the date of your flight record when you find the battery error? Please provide the flight record for us.

I've exported the flight data - what files should I send you and where should I send them?

Please note, when flying this morning I got an "Aircraft Disconnected" message at about 150' in the air.  The screen flashed back to "GPS Mode" so I managed the descend, but was interrupted mid-way down by another "Aircraft Disconnected" message.   The aircraft just hovered at about 75'.  After another few seconds I was able to regain control and brought the aircraft down to about 4' and then got another "Disconnected" message and was unable to communicate with the aircraft.  I was about 3 feet away from the aircraft when this occurred.  I manually grabbed the Spark and turned off the props by flipping it sideways.  I am confused as to why I all of a sudden I am experiencing these communications problems now. I have had this Spark for about six weeks and haven't had these troubles before the last few days.  

My app version is Version 4.1.10 (Android)

Thanks....
2017-10-17
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-16 19:12

Just for info, let me add that this all occurred with tow different batteries.  Also, the battery countdown froze as well, though the slider bar seemed to keep up while I had connection.  All new problems over the last few days --- as I stated above.  Thanks...
2017-10-17
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-10-16 11:12
I would just buy a second-hand iPhone 6 and get the Android phone out of the equation.  In truth, DJI GO Apps doesn't support the Android phone.

Please allow me to strongly disagree with this statement. My Android tablet works perfectly with the App (all versions until now) and the Spark. And at the bottom line the individual problems reported here in the forum are quite much at the same level between iOS and Android users is my impression.
2017-10-17
Use props
droneburger
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55807 ft
France

ArnodePee Posted at 2017-10-16 10:53

I use an OTG cable daily. Works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-10-17
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

That's a lie.

Proof: Crystal Sky is Android.
2017-10-17
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

All those proplems above happened today with me!

I will solve it by the followings:

1- After full charged battery, let the spark hover indoors as low as possible. the reason is to test battery level indicator and refreshing.

2- the previous step outdoors for full checking.
2017-10-17
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-10-17 09:37
All those proplems above happened today with me!

I will solve it by the followings:

Thanks.  I tried to let the Spark just hover.  Sometimes the battery counter ticks down, other times it doesn't.  I'm also still getting "disconnected" messages when I'm just as few feet away.  I'm very concerned about the stability here and won't fly this any real distance till I get this figured out.  I also tried this with three different batteries and all batteries are the same issue.  Firmware on batteries is up to date.  
2017-10-17
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've seen countless videos on YT of people switching from Android to IOS to use with their DJI drones. It even states on their website that the GO 4 app is optimised for the iPhone 7/7+. That said, their in-house crystal sky monitors are Android but I've never had my app suddenly disconnect when using my 7+ or Mini 4. I think it depends on which Android device too.
2017-10-17
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

rmd610 Posted at 2017-10-17 10:33
Thanks.  I tried to let the Spark just hover.  Sometimes the battery counter ticks down, other times it doesn't.  I'm also still getting "disconnected" messages when I'm just as few feet away.  I'm very concerned about the stability here and won't fly this any real distance till I get this figured out.  I also tried this with three different batteries and all batteries are the same issue.  Firmware on batteries is up to date.

These problems that occurs un expectedly are mostly due to the app updating and will be over by time if not by try 2-3 times flying but needs caution.

I finished indoor tests and both batteries seems okay.

tomorrow I'll try outdoors test.

2017-10-17
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557818 ft
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-17 10:37
I've seen countless videos on YT of people switching from Android to IOS to use with their DJI drones. It even states on their website that the GO 4 app is optimised for the iPhone 7/7+. That said, their in-house crystal sky monitors are Android but I've never had my app suddenly disconnect when using my 7+ or Mini 4. I think it depends on which Android device too.

Picking up a Mini 4 tomorrow just because of everything brought up on this thread. Had an aircraft disconnect happen the other day with the spark 75 ft high, 237 ft away, triggered a RTH.  Logs showed no problems what so ever, at 9 minutes DJI Go4 just.....quit. Being the smart guy that I am, and it being a sunny and hot afternoon, I had launched in the shade, like under a very tall oak tree. I was able to pause it in the descent mode and get it away from the tree to land in my palm . Here I come, IOS. Please save me.
2017-10-17
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

One way a RC aircraft disconnects is when someone is on your channel.  How busy is the spectrum when you are getting these disconnects?  I know 2.4 is unusable in my neighborhood.  When I first used my Spark it would intermittently connect.  My RC would not connect most of the time and when it did it could have green connect light that would then go red.  I connect fine on 5.8ghz bu am aware that it could get busy since there are many wifi routers around me.  And a few GoPro's using their own wifi to connect to their GoPro video app (my Session 5).

2017-10-17
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

NO WHERE in DJI literature or advertisements, or specifications does DJI say that the Spark is only supported by iOS.  If this is the case then I surely hope DJI has an explaination, cause I spent a good amount of money on this Spark with the RC, and if I am now finding out that the Andriod format is not supported, or the cause of some of these problems I'm going to be pretty upset about that.  I surely hope this is not the case and whatever problem I'm having here is something with DJI software, DJI firmware or DJI hardware.  
2017-10-17
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-10-17 16:56
One way a RC aircraft disconnects is when someone is on your channel.  How busy is the spectrum when you are getting these disconnects?  I know 2.4 is unusable in my neighborhood.  When I first used my Spark it would intermittently connect.  My RC would not connect most of the time and when it did it could have green connect light that would then go red.  I connect fine on 5.8ghz bu am aware that it could get busy since there are many wifi routers around me.  And a few GoPro's using their own wifi to connect to their GoPro video app (my Session 5).

I don't see the blue bar indicating my channel any longer.  I'm not sure why that is.  The frequency listing shows channel 149. 152 etc.  The channel I use is whatever has the green bars on the bar chart.  2.4 is nearly always red, so I avoid using 2.4.  My question is though - when I'm in the air and I loose connection how do I get the UAV back home?  It literally just hovered today, no response to any command or RC stick movements.  No matter what I did I could not get any communication with it...including a RTH command.  I was lucky go be able to grab it when it reached about 3 feet from the ground.  A similar problem happened in a different location over the weekend.  I'm concerned about future flights until I get this figured out.  Thanks....
2017-10-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

ArnodePee Posted at 2017-10-16 10:53

...not officially supported......

Seems to work fine on selected devices!
2017-10-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Question to the short range disconnections:.
Only the phone disconnects or the RC too?

I had horrible times with a LGG4 for a while.
No video  red disconnect on screen, but RC full functional
Even video on off worked, as I saw later, checking the SD files
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

rmd610 Posted at 2017-10-17 08:20
Just for info, let me add that this all occurred with tow different batteries.  Also, the battery countdown froze as well, though the slider bar seemed to keep up while I had connection.  All new problems over the last few days --- as I stated above.  Thanks...

Please export the data and upload it to dropbox. Then you can post the link here.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-10-17 17:32
Question to the short range disconnections:.
Only the phone disconnects or the RC too?

Please check the following information:
1.Please try to use the recommended devices.
2.What about the original video?
2017-10-17
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

rmd610 Posted at 2017-10-17 17:19
I don't see the blue bar indicating my channel any longer.  I'm not sure why that is.  The frequency listing shows channel 149. 152 etc.  The channel I use is whatever has the green bars on the bar chart.  2.4 is nearly always red, so I avoid using 2.4.  My question is though - when I'm in the air and I loose connection how do I get the UAV back home?  It literally just hovered today, no response to any command or RC stick movements.  No matter what I did I could not get any communication with it...including a RTH command.  I was lucky go be able to grab it when it reached about 3 feet from the ground.  A similar problem happened in a different location over the weekend.  I'm concerned about future flights until I get this figured out.  Thanks....

Sounds pretty bad situation, nevertheless as long as you are flying over an open filed you should have no problem to retrieve your AC even when you have no command over it via the RC, as the AC will land automatically when it runs out of battery, I know that's not a solution but it's a fail-safe feature you can rely on in last instance when it gets ugly up in the air with no RC connection.
I hope you get this solved ASAP so you can enjoy your flights again mate...
2017-10-17
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Rest assured - I had unuseable android performance on phone and tab, but many don't. I took plunge rather than buy new phone and bought crystalsky (dedicated android) Apart form amazing video you can see it clearly in bright sun. I know it's expensive, but it's not at risk of loss as it were and probably easily saleable if the need arises.
Much easier to fly with solid connection.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-18 00:37
Rest assured - I had unuseable android performance on phone and tab, but many don't. I took plunge rather than buy new phone and bought crystalsky (dedicated android) Apart form amazing video you can see it clearly in bright sun. I know it's expensive, but it's not at risk of loss as it were and probably easily saleable if the need arises.
Much easier to fly with solid connection.

Thanks for your positive attitude toward our products. Glad you solve the performance problem and have more nice flight.
2017-10-18
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-17 22:54
Please check the following information:
1.Please try to use the recommended devices.
2.What about the original video?

I'm sure it's out there, but can you lead me to a list of recommended devices?   It would have been nice if your dealers knew of this since I was told "it'll work with any phone" when I bought it.  Second.  I don't typically shoot video, I use the Spark for pictures.  Just so I'm clear, you want me to put the Spark in the air again, with the Spark video running?   Then when it disconnects I just watch it crash?  I'm not sure I understand what you're asking with the video?
2017-10-18
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-18 02:05
Thanks for your positive attitude toward our products. Glad you solve the performance problem and have more nice flight.

A positive attitude is great and I agree it's a good thing to be positive.  But that comment seems to mean you think I'm making up these problems.  I'll say again, I paid $700 for this Spark, plus another $50 for an additional battery.  There's no attitude here, but an expectation that this will work and the disconnect issue will be resolved.  
2017-10-18
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-10-17 23:18
Sounds pretty bad situation, nevertheless as long as you are flying over an open filed you should have no problem to retrieve your AC even when you have no command over it via the RC, as the AC will land automatically when it runs out of battery, I know that's not a solution but it's a fail-safe feature you can rely on in last instance when it gets ugly up in the air with no RC connection.
I hope you get this solved ASAP so you can enjoy your flights again mate...

Thank you Viking----
2017-10-18
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-17 22:45
Please export the data and upload it to dropbox. Then you can post the link here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A&t=1s

Flight Data : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qxten ... kw35MOfvlTX63a?dl=0

Flights in question occurred on 10/15/2017 at around 15:00 and on 10/17/2017 at around 11:00.  10/17/2017 was the flight that completely lost connection.  

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Thanks for your help Elektra...
2017-10-18
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I trouble shooted mine by trying an otg cable. Range went up 5 fold and no drop outs.It's not recommended I know, but  it proved things to me, and I resolved things.
It seems the most frequent solution, if only temporarily for many folk.I am no expert whatsoever on apps, but I gather each phone manufacturer complicates the basic android with heir own skin laid on top.
Fault finding is very often a process of swapping out what you can for elimination, and otg removes half the wifi and processing requirements.
I got there, so can you!
2017-10-18
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-18 06:49
I trouble shooted mine by trying an otg cable. Range went up 5 fold and no drop outs.It's not recommended I know, but  it proved things to me, and I resolved things.
It seems the most frequent solution, if only temporarily for many folk.I am no expert whatsoever on apps, but I gather each phone manufacturer complicates the basic android with heir own skin laid on top.
Fault finding is very often a process of swapping out what you can for elimination, and otg removes half the wifi and processing requirements.

I ordered an Android OTG cable yesterday.  The first one I purchased only "changes" the battery. Thanks Bright Spark.  I'll keep you all post with any resolutions we collectively find, or if Elektra finds something.  I'm really hoping they find something I did wrong, or something that is easily fixed with the next update.  I have to regain my trust in this thing, but I really enjoy flying this Spark.
2017-10-18
Use props
BobD
lvl.3
Germany

rmd610 Posted at 2017-10-18 06:54
I ordered an Android OTG cable yesterday.  The first one I purchased only "changes" the battery. Thanks Bright Spark.  I'll keep you all post with any resolutions we collectively find, or if Elektra finds something.  I'm really hoping they find something I did wrong, or something that is easily fixed with the next update.  I have to regain my trust in this thing, but I really enjoy flying this Spark.

You can get a used iPad Mini 2 out of EBaa for less than the price of a used iPhone 6.  The controller still slides on and you have a much larger display.
2017-10-18
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

rmd610 Posted at 2017-10-18 06:54

As long as you are troubleshooting,... have you tried flying in a different location?  It would eliminate external interference popping up and jamming your signal.  Then gently shake the RC to see if there is an intermittent antenna connection.

If it is near the RTH location (20ft?) it will just land where it is.  I wonder how long it will hover if it is near the RTH location when signal is lost.  Start landing right away, or wait a while for possible signal return then land.
2017-10-18
Use props
Flyingstoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123944 ft

United Kingdom

I have been using a relatively cheap Xaomi redmi note 4x ....chinese android phone and have been pleased with the results. It has a large 64GB rom and 4GB ram and runs android V6.0
2017-10-18
Use props
Flyingstoo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I think you have to be careful if you are using a small low powered maybe old android phone as the dji uses a lot of the phones resources. I have tried an old HTC 510 phone with only 8GB rom and it really struggled to run DJI4 go. Yes Iphones work okay but so do Androids IF you don't try and use old ones with low memory and slow processors.
2017-10-18
Use props
Flyingstoo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Oh yes the OTG cable works well BUT you need to get the right one some are not wired correctly. A clue is that when the RC unit is plugged into the phone via the OTG it should recognise it on the phone and the DJIgo4 app should present itself for starting.
2017-10-18
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes many android phones work perfectly, but my motorola g3, 2 yrs old so probably past it, started off fine as did samsung tablet, but never worked again without otg after the update.
You can't afford to buy phones just to find out. If your android phone's fine, and many are, you're happy.
But if you're sinking 300 quid or more into a new device, you need to know it works!

2017-10-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules