how often do i have to calibrate me PH3 std ?
12Next >
2092 55 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CommunalWheat9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419314 ft
Belgium

how often do i have to calibrate me PH3 std ?
beaucause i do it everytimes but when in spin on myself , people look at me like if i was retarded
do i have do it before all the times i take off ?
2017-10-16
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

I recalibrate every time I fly in a different area and when I update software. I don't calibrate everytime when I fly from my back yard unless the app requests I do so.
2017-10-16
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

If you fly in the area 100km x 100km you need to calibrate the compass one time,excepted the app required that.
2017-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If you get a compass warning, just move a few feet and it will probably stop.  I have only calibrated mine once in over a year.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to calibrate if the APP prompts to do.
2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Contrary to what many here may tell you, as long as your Phantom hovers without turning and flies straight you shouldn't ever need to recalibrate the compass.

The wording on p41 of the P3 Standard manual is quite wrong and quite different from the wording in the manuals for more recent models.
There is no need to recalibrate if you go to a new site or if you travel any distance.
2017-10-16
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The only time and reason to calibrate is if your Phantom does not fly normally.  If, in P mode while hovering or flying in  a straight line, the Phantom turns or spins or otherwise deviates from your chosen direction, then calibrate.  IMHO.  The reason is because, once you have a good calibration, you risk messing it up the next time you calibrate.  Nearby ferrous objects, etc. can ruin the calibration.  Steel reinforcement rods in concrete or even roads or driveways.  Steel that you can't see.  But if you have a good calibration, even if it acts strange at first, once you fly away from magnetic interference, the drone will likely behave normally.   IMHO.
2017-10-16
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161437 ft
Italy

First of all you have to make a compass calibration in a safe place where there are no electromagnetic interference, away from electric lines, iron trusses, from your car! from your cell phone! Do not hold keys in your pocket etc etc. You do not need to recalibrate even if you move a few hundred KM because the magnetic declination changes little. You also need to calibrate if required by APP or update the FW.
Good luck!
MaxBDS
2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MaxBDS Posted at 2017-10-16 23:51
First of all you have to make a compass calibration in a safe place where there are no electromagnetic interference, away from electric lines, iron trusses, from your car! from your cell phone! Do not hold keys in your pocket etc etc. You do not need to resume the calibration even if you move a few hundred KM because the magnetic declination changes little. You also need to calibrate if required by APP or update the FW.
Good luck!
MaxBDS

You do not need to resume the calibration even if you move a few hundred KM because the magnetic declination changes little.

You don't need to recalibrate the compass even if you move thousands of kilometres away because compass calibration has nothing to do with magnetic declination
2017-10-17
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Italy

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-17 00:00
You do not need to resume the calibration even if you move a few hundred KM because the magnetic declination changes little.

You don't need to recalibrate the compass even if you move thousands of kilometres away because compass calibration has nothing to do with magnetic declination

Thank you Labroides,
sorry for my poor english! ;)
But I don't agree with your assertion "compass calibration has nothing to do with magnetic declination".
I think instead that magnetic declination influences calibration but that for our purposes such variation of place in place even hundreds of miles away is not significant.
MaxBDS

2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MaxBDS Posted at 2017-10-17 00:06
Thank you Labroides,
sorry for my poor english! ;)
But I don't agree with your assertion "compass calibration has nothing to do with magnetic declination".

Have a look at what the manual for a P4 pro says .
There's no mention of recalibrating at 100 miles, 1000 miles or 5000 miles.
There's no mention of any distance.

The only thing that compass calibration is for is to help your compass identify what magnetic influences are part of the Phantom so it can ignore them in flight and concentrate on the earth's normal magnetic field.
2017-10-17
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can’t believe they haven’t changed it yet (maybe never will?), but the “recalibrate compass” error is 99% of the time a “move away from metal” error.
2017-10-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-17 00:00

WRONG ..... collect booby prize on way out !

Nigel
2017-10-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The Compass calibration on the P3 is to compensate for both the AC itself (Deviation) and its effects on compass AND Earths Magnetic Variation ...
The Earths magnetic poles are significantly offset from the true poles. This means that Variation alters with location  on the earth.

Its exactly the same actually as any magnetic compass - analogue or digital on boats / cars / RV's / Planes / Ships etc.

The body carrying the compass exerts an influence on it, plus the offset from Magnetic Pole - combination of both leads to the error to be calibrated out.

The calibration of the P3 is for most flyers - good enough done once and forget about it. But move from USA to Europe for example - you will have a difference in Variation that can be significant. The P3 will probably not warn you ... but its there.

Here's a diagram to give you example of the difference over distance :

Summary :

Generally once you have a good calibration - leave it alone and don't re-calibrate.

If the APP says Compass Warning - power off AC / RC and APP ..... move a few feet and power up again - see what you have now. (Power off because I have had occasions where warning would not go away unless powered off and then on again).

If you fly many hundreds of km / miles from original location - then its my opinion that calibration  may be a good idea. Note that return to original normal location - calibrate again.

Where do I get this opinion from  ?

My original Profession was Professional Navigator, magnetics and gyros along with all manner of navigation where necessary arts for me to study and pass strict Examinations in to be awarded my Licences ...

Nigel

2017-10-17
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Italy

Thanks Nigel, your interventions are always clear and significant.
I also had experience in that field but did not want to go into detail. Then I did not feel like DJI about the calibration imposed by the APP.
I managed to do a good calibration of compass and, traveling to Italy, I never had to recalibrate it.
But it's always better to check the track on the map and see if it is different from your real position.
MaxBDS
2017-10-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Magnetics is actually a vast subject but luckily what we are interested in is just pure physical offset caused by the model itself and location on earth.

Nigel
2017-10-17
Use props
CommunalWheat9
lvl.4
Belgium

MaxBDS Posted at 2017-10-16 23:51
First of all you have to make a compass calibration in a safe place where there are no electromagnetic interference, away from electric lines, iron trusses, from your car! from your cell phone! Do not hold keys in your pocket etc etc. You do not need to recalibrate even if you move a few hundred KM because the magnetic declination changes little. You also need to calibrate if required by APP or update the FW.
Good luck!
MaxBDS

thank you for helping !
2017-10-17
Use props
CommunalWheat9
lvl.4
Belgium

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-17 06:28
The Compass calibration on the P3 is to compensate for both the AC itself (Deviation) and its effects on compass AND Earths Magnetic Variation ...
The Earths magnetic poles are significantly offset from the true poles. This means that Variation alters with location  on the earth.

thank you for helping
greetings from belgium !
2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-17 06:16
WRONG ..... collect booby prize on way out !

Nigel

Nigel ... despite your over-inflated opinion of your own information, you have often given very poor advice and you are doing it again.
You have a tendency to make up your own rules that are not at all supported by actual evidence.
2017-10-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-17 06:28

'My original Profession was Professional Navigator, magnetics and gyros along with all manner of navigation where necessary arts for me to study and pass strict Examinations in to be awarded my Licences ... '

Then you would be aware that the Phantom does not use the compass to navigate anywhere. The compass is primarily used to ensure that the aircraft can fly in a straight line, because unlike the majority of RC fixed-wing aircraft, control is not direct and it needs computer assistance just to fly straight.
2017-10-17
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

This was quite an interesting set of responses.  I do calibrate if I've moved hundreds of miles.  That's about it.  But I suspect all those folks who say you do NOT need to calibrate are quite correct.
2017-10-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The compass is not used to provide navigation anywhere --- it is used to align the AC - to indicate direction .. GPS and successive positions give the AC ability to RTH ... but the compass in combination with GPS aligns in the correct direction.

I give up with you so called experts ... I have provided the basis of compass error and reasons to calibrate or not.  I don't give a rats whether you believe / accept or not .... your choice.

Trouble is - so many BS myths have grown up in this hobby, repeated by 'old hands' and become accepted fact. I say again --- BS myths.

I'm done. Fly as you like.

Nigel
2017-10-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-10-17 15:26
This was quite an interesting set of responses.  I do calibrate if I've moved hundreds of miles.  That's about it.  But I suspect all those folks who say you do NOT need to calibrate are quite correct.

Generally I agree - calibration is not necessary. But reserve that significant distance change in location can lead to error. See the earth diagram of variation earlier ...
But of course - the 'experts' know better !!

Nigel
2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-17 23:18
Generally I agree - calibration is not necessary. But reserve that significant distance change in location can lead to error. See the earth diagram of variation earlier ...
But of course - the 'experts' know better !!

As it happens Nigel ... the experts do know better.

If you can come up with any evidence  of significant change in location causing an error I'll look into it.
Until then, it's just you guessing with no evidence.

In 4 years of flying these things and reading thousands of forum posts, I still haven't seen anything that backs up your guess.
2017-10-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

L ...

You cannot defeat Physics.

The change of Earths Variation  with location  is no different in results as putting a metal object near the compass ....

Do you not understand the picture shown earlier ... LOOK at the degees change over the earth ...

Lets say you live in Florida / Carolina ..... Variation runs between 5 and 10 degrees W  .... that means your compass deflects by +5 to +10 degrees.

Now move to California .... WOW the Variation is now between 10 and 15 degrees E ..... that means your compass deflects by - 10 to -15 degrees ...

That's a change of between 15 and 25 degrees.

Where do you think that change disappears to IF YOU are right ?? Truth is - it doesn't ..... it combines with the AC's deviation to create the total error you calibrate for.

Why do you think you rotate the AC in a vertical and horizontal plane to calibrate ? Its because AC's deviation alters as orientation and heading of the AC changes in the lines of flux at that location. If the lines of flux have changed ... in this case up to 25 degrees ... that alters the calibration need.

If you cannot understand that ...........

I have produced a picture provided by Geomag AC UK ... not some amateur group ... I have explained variation and deviation interaction based on Professional Training ...

More than any other post or so-called 'experts' views ...

They are NOT GUESSWORK ... they are simple inescapable laws of Physics in Geo-Magnetism.

Nigel
2017-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-18 01:44
L ...

You cannot defeat Physics.

Nigel ... I've gone through this with you before.
I also have an understanding based on 4 years experience as a navigator and 20 years using GPS professionally as a working scientist.
I understand magnetic variation and deviation and how they do/don't apply to Phantom flying.
What you are saying just isn't true.
As I said above ... show me a case that proves what you are guessing and I'll listen.
Until then .......
2017-10-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Rubbish ....

Trouble is L .... whatever I write - you will always be contrary - its your way.

You are wrong and just will not accept Physical Laws .... I have stated the facts to support and you still are blind.

Go your own way - I don't care - but what I do care about is misguided rubbish info that others may think is gospel - which you have been posting here.

4yrs as a Navigator ..... 20yrs as GPS .... wonderful. Seems you didn't learn much then.

Next you'll be arguing world is flat !!
I wonder how many 'incidents / mishaps / accidents' can be atrributed to BS info like you have here ?

Nigel
2017-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-18 03:11
Rubbish ....

Trouble is L .... whatever I write - you will always be contrary - its your way.

So just show me the evidence to back up your unsubstantiated guess.
Until then .....
2017-10-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

You obviously cannot read ... stares you in the face ...

So lets ask you :

Please explain the basis of compass error and how the DJI Electronic Compass works .... Lets see the so-called knowledge YOU have.

I've put forward GeoMag Earth Variation status.
I've described its effects on compass
I've described the combination  with on-board deviation
I've illustrated how location changes the error.

C'mon "Einstein" ... defy the Laws of Geo-Magnetics and how it affects EVERY Magnetic Compass whether it be old-fashioned needle, digital or even the Fluxgate ....

Even that bastion (Wikipedia) of the uneducated states clearly :

"Solid state compasses :

Small compasses found in clocks, mobile phones, and other electronic devices are solid-state microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) compasses, usually built out of two or three magnetic field sensors that provide data for a microprocessor. Often, the device is a discrete component which outputs either a digital or analog signal proportional to its orientation. This signal is interpreted by a controller or microprocessor and either used internally, or sent to a display unit. The sensor uses highly calibrated internal electronics to measure the response of the device to the Earth's magnetic field."

Case proven M'Lud .....

Nigel
2017-10-18
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-16 20:18
I would recommend you to calibrate if the APP prompts to do.

What would the "prompt" look like? I always seem to have a box around "calibrate" in the go pilot app, but that's it. I've never received any other warning. It's a PS3.
2017-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

LarBear360 Posted at 2017-10-18 05:23
What would the "prompt" look like? I always seem to have a box around "calibrate" in the go pilot app, but that's it. I've never received any other warning. It's a PS3.

The box around the word Calibrate is not a prompt.
But too many people thought it was so DJI moved it from the front page checklist

The prompt would have a big red banner and say something like Electromagnetic Interference - move or recalibrate the compass.
BUT ... the appropriate action 99% of the time would be to move the Phantom - not to recalibrate the compass.
2017-10-18
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Italy

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-18 03:55

So lets ask you :

Hi Nigel,
there is none so deaf as he who will not hear...
You're the best here...
Sincerely
MaxBDS.

2017-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-18 03:55

So lets ask you :

Here's an explanation for you Nigel.
It avoids all the irrelevant fluff that you seem to like padding your posts with but explains what really matters.

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... page-8#post-1238707
2017-10-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

In fact a vital point missing that flaws that link and your case :

The AC is rotated vertically and horizontally to detect and calibrate the flux in the X Y and Z orientations. This combined with the ESTIMATED values referred to in his less than 100% correct post creates the calibration based on ACTUAL detected flux changes in those movements. Look at the Geomag map ...  various other factors and that alone mean that the GPS values are AVERAGED out ... to program in the actual Geomag info would swamp that poor little chip you so obviously think is Heaven sent.

If he was 100% correct - then he should rewrite the book. He's close but not quite.

And you - why do you need to quote his flawed info - I understood from your previous that YOU know all the answers ... answer it yourself.  
Answer the questions I put to you .. specific and relevant.

I will add a further question which shows that your link has another flaw not addressed :
If the P3 does not have GPS lock .. no sats in fact ... how does it use Compass ? According to that guy - on start-up compass has Variation (why do you Yanks have to change Internationally accepted terms ? Declination !! That's Cellestial equivalent of Latitude !) ... given to it by GPS position ....

Stop digging yourself deeper and deeper into the hole .... actually carry on ... I need a good laugh !!  Fluff ! Thats a good one !!

N

2017-10-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Boys, unless each of you is more interested in impressing everyone else in this forum than you are in solving your compass problem, why don't you take your dispute offline?  There's this funny little box just a bit under your names entitled "Personal Message".  It's long overdue for the two of you to start using that box.
2017-10-18
Use props
sSunSets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hi, I didn't read all the posts. They mostly all say this "everytime" If a GPS mode connection is needed, do it for your home position and sattellite accuracy.  Just a thought.
2017-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sSunSets Posted at 2017-10-18 16:38
Hi, I didn't read all the posts. They mostly all say this "everytime" If a GPS mode connection is needed, do it for your home position and sattellite accuracy.  Just a thought.

If you read the compass calibration section of any up-to-date Phantom manual (the manual for the Standard is not up to date) you would find that you should not be calibrating the compass at all.
2017-10-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-18 07:26
In fact a vital point missing that flaws that link and your case :

The AC is rotated vertically and horizontally to detect and calibrate the flux in the X Y and Z orientations. This combined with the ESTIMATED values referred to in his less than 100% correct post creates the calibration based on ACTUAL detected flux changes in those movements. Look at the Geomag map ...  various other factors and that alone mean that the GPS values are AVERAGED out ... to program in the actual Geomag info would swamp that poor little chip you so obviously think is Heaven sent.

It is simple science Nigel, as BudWalker says: '[size=14.6667px]In fact, declination can't be determined because there isn't enough data. To determine declination the calibration procedure would necessarily have a step where the AC were placed in a known, precise, [size=14.6667px]true[size=14.6667px] heading and then the magnetometer heading for that true heading is recorded. In essence, the calibration has to be told what the declination is before it can determine the declination.'
[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]The aircraft does not use the compass reading in order to navigate, as you said yourself, therefore the declination is irrelevant.
2017-10-18
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-18 05:41
The box around the word Calibrate is not a prompt.
But too many people thought it was so DJI moved it from the front page checklist

10-4. Thank you!
2017-10-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-18 17:00
It is simple science Nigel, as BudWalker says: 'In fact, declination can't be determined because there isn't enough data. To determine declination the calibration procedure would necessarily have a step where the AC were placed in a known, precise, true heading and then the magnetometer heading for that true heading is recorded. In essence, the calibration has to be told what the declination is before it can determine the declination.'

Gobblygook rubbish.

Nigel
2017-10-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules