Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Dear @ll,

I would like to know if is possible to store (during the recording or transfer later) the videos cached on a built in screen P4P+ onto the micro SD card of the same.

It seems this is not possible, thus being a big limitation and a huge design error, as the storage capacity of the RC is very limited (only 16 Gb means...nothing) and I wonder what the micro SD card and slot serves for if given such a situation? Only to transfer the firmware updates from PC to RC ????

I found having very few available memory on the internal RC storage capacity and need to increase it.

Also it seems the offline downloaded maps are stored onto the same poor 16Gb internal memory and storage of the RC.

Should all these be true, please DJI we need an urgent solution, otherwise we are disadvantaged as compared to users able to increase their available memory through smartphones or tablets.

2017-10-16
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

The device storage is a cache, low quality, transient storage.
The proper photos and videos are stored on the phantom SD card.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The request has been forwarded to our engineers for further review. Hopefully they will consider it in the future.
2017-10-16
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-16 11:47
The device storage is a cache, low quality, transient storage.
The proper photos and videos are stored on the phantom SD card.

@PaulSouthport: I knew that. Fact is that only 16Gb sharing the apps, offline maps and video&photo cache means nothing.Moreover considerring the capacity of P4P+ to videocache on full HD (i.e. higher memory and storage requirements). This definitely is a disadvantage with respect to other models using external smartphones or tablets.
In such a case, paying extra money only for a 1000 nits screen and no cables, having drastically reduced the storage capacity and storage options in my opinion and as an affected owner and user, it does not worth the extra money or even the purchase in an hypotetically case of same price as for the non-built in screen version.
2017-10-16
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-16 20:14
The request has been forwarded to our engineers for further review. Hopefully they will consider it in the future.

Dear Susan, thanks for your reply. The word "hopefully" in your answer scares me, I know it does not depend on you."Hopefully" DJI and your engineers commitment will be also with us, affected users and owners because this design failure is, in the meantime, affecting our everyday life and equipment "performance"
2017-10-16
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

15matjan Posted at 2017-10-16 23:47
Dear Susan, thanks for your reply. The word "hopefully" in your answer scares me, I know it does not depend on you."Hopefully" DJI and your engineers commitment will be also with us, affected users and owners because this design failure is, in the meantime, affecting our everyday life and equipment "performance"

Does is really matter to you what the engineers decide?  You're not going to throw your very expensive controller away and buy a new one if they improve it, are you?  That's the only way you'd realize any benefits of any hardware changes, of course.

I don't see the need for more than 16GB, myself.  Nobody in their right mind would use those low-res videos for anything serious.  And thanks to DJI's decisions, you can't install stuff on your tablet anyway.  So ummm.. it would be lipstick on a pig either way.
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-17 00:23
Does is really matter to you what the engineers decide?  You're not going to throw your very expensive controller away and buy a new one if they improve it, are you?  That's the only way you'd realize any benefits of any hardware changes, of course.

I don't see the need for more than 16GB, myself.  Nobody in their right mind would use those low-res videos for anything serious.  And thanks to DJI's decisions, you can't install stuff on your tablet anyway.  So ummm.. it would be lipstick on a pig either way.

I like your thinking. ;-) image.jpeg

What color do you think would be most suitable? Ha

Yes, future DJI upgraded hardware will be an advantage in the near and distant future.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

look at comment #6  at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=100484  .
The low-res videos that are cached in the built-in screen (actually it is an Android tablet) are also saved in the SD card in the aircraft. The only problem is that apparently they are "hidden files"in some computers.but there seems to be a way to make them visible.
2017-10-17
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-17 00:23

@Irate,

The possibility to access micro SD and use it as external storage can be achieved through firmware. There is no need to throw anything, and I don't have plans to buy a new RC. Afterall, I did't screwed it with such a poor IT design and functionality.
If you do not need more than 16Gb it's your business, I'm glad you're happy, but I feel to need more and I think I have the same customer rights as you do. There is no tablet nor smartphone one can buy today without SD external card slot allowing to expand storage of the gadget.
DJI sells the built-in screen RC without informing previously the potential customers that the micro SD slot on the RC only serves for firmware transfer...
They also have a video editor on the same DJI Go app which can be used only with the "low res" videos cached on the RC, another inconsistency which should be adressed.
But perhaps I'm not in my "right mind" as you are if I think is not a bad thing being able to install other stuff on something  of my own property having in mind also that never DJI advices you are unable to do it before the purchase.
2017-10-17
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 00:43
I like your thinking. ;-)[view_image]

I am partial to Blue.
2017-10-17
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

15matjan Posted at 2017-10-17 05:26
@Irate,

The possibility to access micro SD and use it as external storage can be achieved through firmware. There is no need to throw anything, and I don't have plans to buy a new RC. Afterall, I did't screwed it with such a poor IT design and functionality.

Perhaps you should appreciate what you have, instead of what you don't.
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Peacock or sky? Ha

The Gold bands make me feet totally cool, but purple would be totally rich looking. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 00:43
I like your thinking. ;-)[view_image]

Muave.  I vote for Muave.
2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

@Irate,

I seem to be missing something here?
You can access all your videos and pictures from the on board Micro SD card AND you can remove the SD card too.  Thus allowing you to install those media files on any computer using an SD card adapter or compatible slot.  Seems problem solved...now this assumes your bird always returns so you can retrieve said cards.
Now, last I checked you can buy additional cards with larger memory capacity.  A 32GB micro SD SanDisk Extreme Pro is going for $26.50US on Amazon.  Or, you could get a few 16GB for about $20US, lesser speed disks are even cheaper.  All meaning you can get plenty of memory for little more than the cost of a case of beer or a few bottles of sangria per card.  I'd think problem solved as far as capacity needs.  You'd have to exchange disks per flight with smaller memory size but all within easy capability.
2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-10-17 01:14
look at comment #6  at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=100484  .
The low-res videos that are cached in the built-in screen (actually it is an Android tablet) are also saved in the SD card in the aircraft. The only problem is that apparently they are "hidden files"in some computers.but there seems to be a way to make them visible.

This is true...they are 720p res videos
2017-10-17
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

a quality as bad as the caches, can only be used for facebook
2017-10-17
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-17 10:44
I seem to be missing something here?
You can access all your videos and pictures from the on board Micro SD card AND you can remove the SD card too.  Thus allowing you to install those media files on any computer using an SD card adapter or compatible slot.  Seems problem solved...now this assumes your bird always returns so you can retrieve said cards.
Now, last I checked you can buy additional cards with larger memory capacity.  A 32GB micro SD SanDisk Extreme Pro is going for $26.50US on Amazon.  Or, you could get a few 16GB for about $20US, lesser speed disks are even cheaper.  All meaning you can get plenty of memory for little more than the cost of a case of beer or a few bottles of sangria per card.  I'd think problem solved as far as capacity needs.  You'd have to exchange disks per flight with smaller memory size but all within easy capability.

I'm not referring to the on board SD card. My topic was related with the 16 Gb built in memory of the built in screen which is totally insuficient when dealing with installing off-line maps, and not allowing enough space for the photo&video cache (even when lo-res).

It is stupid to have a tablet or smartphone like built screen on the RC and not being able to transfer data to the SD card of the same RC as all the tablets and smartphones allow these days and a long time ago since.
2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

15matjan Posted at 2017-10-17 10:53
I'm not referring to the on board SD card. My topic was related with the 16 Gb built in memory of the built in screen which is totally insuficient when dealing with installing off-line maps, and not allowing enough space for the photo&video cache (even when lo-res).

It is stupid to have a tablet or smartphone like built screen on the RC and not being able to transfer data to the SD card of the same RC as all the tablets and smartphones allow these days and a long time ago since.

OK that appears to be what I was missing...
Yes I see your point, but I can only say that is exactly the reason I chose not to get the P4P+ along with a few other reasons.
Where there is a will there is a way, I'm sure you will come up with something that will work.  Others are correct the stuff on your screen/mobile device that is cached is low res anyway, not stuff you'd really want to use when you have better files available on the bird.
2017-10-17
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Olivier Vietti- Posted at 2017-10-17 10:52
a quality as bad as the caches, can only be used for facebook

For instance. Sometimes I prefer to travel without laptop or heavy gear and in such a case, built in RC screen is the only editing and posting available gadget, with very limited features as already explained.
2017-10-17
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-17 10:47
This is true...they are 720p res videos

That post is not for the built in screen RC. The version without built in screen is much more functional and versatile because of the own versatility of the tab or smartphone
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-10-17 10:03
Muave.  I vote for Muave.

What about Teal? Hahaha  I asked my ex, and she said to look at the diagram...

image.jpeg

But the way I saw it...
image.png

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 11:14

[view_image]

RHP
Sometimes you are just scary...
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, and a most happy Halloween to you, too. Haha
image.jpeg

I would never consider using the video or pics stored in the drones inner sd card, for much else, but general references.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 11:14

[view_image]

That chart makes it appear as if a mans average height is between grape and maroon.  A woman is between lavender and eggplant.  Seems legit, but needs a bit more precision.  And I'm sure I have heard my gf say honeydew before.  Wait, maybe that was honey do..... ( put her current whim here for me to do, ie: the dishes, the laundry...)

2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-10-17 14:40
That chart makes it appear as if a mans average height is between grape and maroon.  A woman is between lavender and eggplant.  Seems legit, but needs a bit more precision.  And I'm sure I have heard my gf say honeydew before.  Wait, maybe that was honey do..... ( put her current whim here for me to do, ie: the dishes, the laundry...)

The top chart shows how women and men differ, just in color choices alone.
Most guys I know, don't use these other color names, outside of art circles. I don't.

Only as we were also discussing color choices, did I feel posting that, would be appropriate. image.jpeg

Wasn't there a "silly question" that needed response? Once that happened... This.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
Titanbot 4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2485909 ft
United States

@Irate,

I knew you couldn't load 3rd party apps on the p4p+ from readi g befo5i bought. You can plug the ac right into your desktop or laptop and it sees it as an external drive and u can transfer tbe high res videos . I upgrade my sd card to sandisk extremel plus at 100 mb/s. Gives me over 2 hours record time in ultra 4k
2017-10-17
Use props
Titanbot 4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2485909 ft
United States

15matjan Posted at 2017-10-17 10:53

Just hook your tablet or smartphone to the ac and transfer
2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 13:16
Yes, and a most happy Halloween to you, too. Haha
[view_image]

Nice Pic!
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Somehow I thought this one would appeal to you particularly. ;-)

& yes, Oct. 31st is my very favorite "holiday".  Love the Ghouls and Goblins...
Well, actually anything with an axe is choice. Haha
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 20:52

Correct
Did you see where ax throwing is a new fav pastime in the states?
2017-10-17
Use props
Daniel777
lvl.1
Flight distance : 712 ft
Australia

@Irate,

There is clear information from DJI that their RC with screen is a far inferior product to using other tablets.
What is not clear is the compatibility issues with other tablets and devices.
We initially used an android phone on the advice of our retailer but found the screen too small.
Then used a Lenovo android tablet but had compatibilty issues.
Then purchased a new S2 tablet but that didn't work at all...
Eventually found a website that listed all devices and compatibility.
Ended up buying a brand new 2106 iPad pro with 128 gb storage.

It really sucks as Apple products are !!"!£$"$£%^^ useless but have had no compatibility issues at all.

purcahse
2017-10-17
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 20:52

Thanks RHP for making this topic funny but not relevant for my issue.
6 irrelevant postings, nothing to do with the subject, but 6 more points for "the captain level".I guess you tried hard, I'd rather stick to the real flown miles...or km
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

15matjan Posted at 2017-10-17 22:53
Thanks RHP for making this topic funny but not relevant for my issue.
6 irrelevant postings, nothing to do with the subject, but 6 more points for "the captain level".I guess you tried hard, I'd rather stick to the real flown miles...or km

Sorry, I thought your question was already answered.

Did you have further issues to address? Spit it out...
You asked a silly question, and got a few silly answers.
Didn't mean to hurt your sensitivities.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Basicallylike all blues
2017-10-18
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 23:08
Sorry, I thought your question was already answered.

Did you have further issues to address? Spit it out...

Smart indeed,
Don't worry, you didn't manage to heart any of my sensitivities as far as your answer are lacking of content and scientific substance.

Here in Old Europe we don't use to spit on forums...
2017-10-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

15matjan Posted at 2017-10-18 05:03
Smart indeed,
Don't worry, you didn't manage to heart any of my sensitivities as far as your answer are lacking of content and scientific substance.

We are more concerned about the Spain fires burning, and our missing friends who haven't been in contact for over a week. Not to mention the splitting up, of your fine country

Just for your knowledge, my most favorite author, is Spaniard, Arturo Perez-Reverte.
The stories about Captain Alatriste has been a great set of books.

Again, sorry for taking advantage of your "silly" thread!!

Enjoy your drone, and time well spent, while on the forum.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-18
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-18 10:40
We are more concerned about the Spain fires burning, and our missing friends who haven't been in contact for over a week. Not to mention the splitting up, of your fine country

Just for your knowledge, my most favorite author, is Spaniard, Arturo Perez-Reverte.

Don't worry , it's OK.
I hope you'll be able to contact your friends the soonest possible. If may help, write me a PM.
2017-10-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

@Irate,

If everything else fails and you don't have the patience to waiti would think that you could replace the builtin card to one with more space.
When doing a factory reset and check the SD option the card get unmounted before reboot of RC.

Even if the card has a partition with some needed SW/Files that part should be able to clone to the new card.
2017-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules