Potential Phantom 4 Pro Buyer - Questions
1959 31 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Hello All,

I have been researching drones for quite some time, read tons of drone threads/articles, and watched countless YouTube comparisons. With that said, the decision is still a tough one.
I have been involved with RC for many years and mostly fly 3D fixed wing airplanes. I consider myself to be very experienced with both building and flying. I also fly full scale.
Recently, I have been getting more involved with videography. Originally when I was getting interested in drones, I thought I would build my own. However, the features and portability (being able to travel on an airplane, hike, etc) of these ready to fly drones is quite impressive. So for now, I have decided to stick with something ready to fly and something that is travel capable. The drone will mostly be used for personal "vlogging" of my travels, hiking, weekend activities, etc. Even though it is only for personal use, I want to make the best content I can.

Now...I'll be honest here. I have a new GoPro Hero 6 and the Karma Grip so I could get the Karma drone for a mere $600 with an extra battery included for free. That is awefully tempting, but I realize that other than the camera it is an inferior drone in pretty much every way to both the Mavic Pro Platinum and the Phantom 4 Pro.

Originally I was set on the Mavic Pro Platinum, but I am hesitant to buy anything that won't shoot 4K in 60 FPS as that is quite useful if you want to do any slow motion shots. Honestly, if the Mavic Pro Platinum shot 4K 60 FPS I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't know though...maybe the 30 FPS isn't as big of a deal as I think it is? If I am being honest though, I could get the Karma for half the price and shoot better video with it (I don't think you can argue that the Hero 6 is a better camera than the current Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum, but I could be wrong). The cost is that I would lose the great flight features of the Mavic Pro, the great battery life, and the better portability.

So because of my above points, I started looking at the Phantom 4 Pro, which quite honestly I hadn't even considered until I realized the points I discussed above. The Phantom 4 Pro gets quite pricey if you get the screen included with the controller (although I do have an iPad mini 4 so maybe the screen is not completely necessary). By the time you get accessories, a case, etc, you got $2,000 in it. Now - I don't mind paying that, but I am worried about the portability. You'd have to carry a fairly large backpack if you want to hike with it (and the drone would take up all your backpack space). Traveling with it I am not too concerned as I could buy a nice hard case for it, but it is still a large item to be carrying around. You'd either have to carry it with you or check it (seems scary to be checking a $1700 drone). But overall the Phantom 4 Pro is an unbelievable drone. I tend to be a "buy once, buy right" type of person - meaning I would rather spend the money to get the best I can get, the first time around. However, I want to make sure I get the drone that fits my needs. If the P4P is a real pain to travel with, hike with, etc...then maybe it isn't the drone for the job. If it isn't, then maybe it is worth the extra cost.

So what are your guys' honest opinions/assessments? How do you like the Phantom 4 Pro for your weekend activities (hiking, traveling, etc)? Is the portability as bad as I think it might be?

2017-10-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The first thing you should do is decide what you want the drone for. Do you want it for flying a drone and the occasional pictures, or do you want to buy a flying camera.

The P4Pro has a better camera than the GoPro Hero 6, so will produce better stills and video, but to get it up in the air and stable requires a good aircraft.

Most people would advise against the dedicated screen, while is is very bright, it has a lot of disadvantages in terms of not being able to load third party applications. Your iPad Mini 4 should work well with the RC controller.

Yes, it is bigger to cart around, but it performs better than the others.
2017-10-16
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-16 14:18
The first thing you should do is decide what you want the drone for. Do you want it for flying a drone and the occasional pictures, or do you want to buy a flying camera.

The P4Pro has a better camera than the GoPro Hero 6, so will produce better stills and video, but to get it up in the air and stable requires a good aircraft.

Yea knocking $300 off the price tag for the screen is definitely a big help if most advise against getting the screen.  If I did buy the screen version - can I remove it an use my iPad if I wanted to?

The big thing with the Phantom 4 Pro is the portability...that is really what I would like to get some feedback on.
No doubt about it - I am buying this as a camera platform - I fly RC already, so I am not getting one to simply just fly the drone around.
2017-10-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-16 14:22
Yea knocking $300 off the price tag for the screen is definitely a big help if most advise against getting the screen.  If I did buy the screen version - can I remove it an use my iPad if I wanted to?

The big thing with the Phantom 4 Pro is the portability...that is really what I would like to get some feedback on.

No, you cannot remove the dedicated screen and use your iPad. To use the iPad, you have to buy another RC unit, the one supplied to the normal P4P, not the P4P+.

The P4P with a Mini 4 and a good quality hood unit should be fine. I fly a P3P with an Air 2 and a hood and it works very well.

Some of the photography jaunts I go on involve getting to the areas in the car, taking a full size folding mountain bike. I then ride the last part on the bike with the P3P Hard Case on my back, and a front pack carrying my Full-frame Mirrorless and a gimbal stick and GoPro.
2017-10-16
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Portability of the P4P isn't really a big problem. Obviously, with the Mavic, it's not a problem at all. But I regularly carry my P4P, 3 batteries, filters, cables, iPad, it's not a big deal.
I do have 2 cases - a hard shell that I use for day to day use, and a larger, soft case (padded and precisely the right dimensions for most flight hand luggage). I use the soft case for travelling simply because it's bigger and can swallow more stuff - chargers, a few clothes and other bits.

I chose the P4P over the P4P+ because 1) I already have a iPad Air 2 - I like the (much) bigger screen and 2) IOS devices simply work better than Android devices, with DJI Go 4.

So, to the camera. It's good. Very good in fact. I don't have a GoPro to compare, but the images and videos I've seen, it's at least as good if not better.
You'll want some ND filters, you don't necessarily need them, but they are good investment.
Realistically, you can expect around 20 minutes per battery - give or take depending on conditions. Batteries are pricey, but you'll want a few. I also have the 3 port DJI charge adapter which keeps things tidy.

2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Both the Mavic and the P4 pro are extremely good machines.
You just need to work out what features are more important to you.
The Mavic is exceptionally portable - you could carry it in a large pocket.
It has similar flight abilities to the Phantom series and produces good images and video.

If you are a photographer, the P4 pro is a step beyond in photographic ability.  There's no other ready-to-fly drone in its class.
But requires a backpack to carry it around

One more thing, being a substantially inferior drone, the Karma is huge and heavy.  The makers hide this by listing its weight without battery and props.  Even folded, it takes a lot of space.
2017-10-16
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

Well....i have the phantom 4 pro and also have the hero5 and karma grip. Before you buy anything from dji, i suggest that tou go over the p4p forum and check how customer service works and how owners are going crazy with the latest firmware updates. Phantom 4 pro is an awesome drone, but dji has been killing it with the firmware stuff. Read the forum....that will get you a better idea.
2017-10-16
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-16 14:33
No, you cannot remove the dedicated screen and use your iPad. To use the iPad, you have to buy another RC unit, the one supplied to the normal P4P, not the P4P+.

The P4P with a Mini 4 and a good quality hood unit should be fine. I fly a P3P with an Air 2 and a hood and it works very well.

Does the controller come with a mount big enough for the iPad mini or is that a separate accessory?

I think I am sold on getting the Phantom 4 Pro. It sounds like the way to go even though you lose some portability.
2017-10-16
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-16 14:44
Portability of the P4P isn't really a big problem. Obviously, with the Mavic, it's not a problem at all. But I regularly carry my P4P, 3 batteries, filters, cables, iPad, it's not a big deal.
I do have 2 cases - a hard shell that I use for day to day use, and a larger, soft case (padded and precisely the right dimensions for most flight hand luggage). I use the soft case for travelling simply because it's bigger and can swallow more stuff - chargers, a few clothes and other bits.

Awesome thanks for your feedback. I am definitely leaning towards the Phantom 4 Pro.
2017-10-16
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-16 15:06
Both the Mavic and the P4 pro are extremely good machines.
You just need to work out what features are more important to you.
The Mavic is exceptionally portable - you could carry it in a large pocket.

Again, thanks for the feedback! I think the P4P's exceptional camera probably outweighs it's decrease in portability over the Mavic.
2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-16 17:17
Does the controller come with a mount big enough for the iPad mini or is that a separate accessory?

I think I am sold on getting the Phantom 4 Pro. It sounds like the way to go even though you lose some portability.

The mini easily fits the standard controller.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Welcome to the Phantom group. And I'll look forward great videos from you.
2017-10-16
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

As things has turned out the last months i really can't advise you to buy a DJI at all, i bought my own P4P Plus for almost same reason that you want, now it has become more a very expensive toy unable to make the great steady film it could when new.

If however you do decide to go this way, keep clear of the Plus, you wont even be able to do a screen recording in order to document anything unless you're recording the screen with another cam.
As soon you get it going, you better stay clear of any updates, simply keep it of the net and ignore update request it might discover when you activate/login first time.
Looking over the the different forums here show that chances are high that after the first upgrade it will never be the same again.

Good luck, happy shooting.
2017-10-16
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Since you said this would be for your own personal use, "vlogging" your travels, and you mentioned hiking, I'd go with the Mavic.  And I say that even though I dislike the Mavic camera as compared to my P4.

It's all because of the portability.  Sure, you _can_ take a P4P anywhere you want.  I've got a nice backpack for mine that even fits in a CRJ overhead.  But the point is it's so large it becomes the focal point of all your packing.  It takes a certain amount of planning and effort to take it anywhere.  If the whole point of a trip is to go filming with the drone, then fine.  What about all the other trips though?

In short, all those other times, you won't have your drone with you.  The best camera in the world doesn't matter if it's sitting at home and something fun pops up to film.  That's how it turned out for me anyway.  I started with the P4 and bought my Mavic 2nd.  A world of difference as far as actually having it with me at all times.
2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-16 21:39
As things has turned out the last months i really can't advise you to buy a DJI at all, i bought my own P4P Plus for almost same reason that you want, now it has become more a very expensive toy unable to make the great steady film it could when new.

If however you do decide to go this way, keep clear of the Plus, you wont even be able to do a screen recording in order to document anything unless you're recording the screen with another cam.

Looking over the the different forums here show that chances are high that after the first upgrade it will never be the same again.

This really is nonsense.  
Your idea that DJI users all have non-functioning drones is ridiculous.
The company wouldn't still be in business if that was true, let alone completely dominating the market.
Contrary to what you suggest, the majority of users do not have the problems you imagine they do.
2017-10-16
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-16 22:13

This really is nonsense.  

"Your idea that DJI users all have..."
You must have a great imagination if you have seen me writing that!
2017-10-16
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-16 21:54
Since you said this would be for your own personal use, "vlogging" your travels, and you mentioned hiking, I'd go with the Mavic.  And I say that even though I dislike the Mavic camera as compared to my P4.

It's all because of the portability.  Sure, you _can_ take a P4P anywhere you want.  I've got a nice backpack for mine that even fits in a CRJ overhead.  But the point is it's so large it becomes the focal point of all your packing.  It takes a certain amount of planning and effort to take it anywhere.  If the whole point of a trip is to go filming with the drone, then fine.  What about all the other trips though?

I will certainly keep this in mind...but the reality is I don't want to spend $1200+ on something that shoots 4K 30 FPS. Not to mention we will likely see an updated Mavic in the next year that shoots 4K 60 FPS. Being able to shoot 4K 60FPS is a big deal to me.
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Thank you all for the feedback thus far - it is very much appreciated.

Keep it coming!
2017-10-17
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

If you want the quality of the pics, then you want the P4P.  If you want to throw it in your backpack and heft it up the trail, then you should get the Mavic.  It really is an either-or  proposition.  Yes, the P4P will run you about 2k, and be aware of the limitations of the P4P+ (the one with the attached screen).  It has the benefit of being brighter (and that is a very good thing) it has the downside of not being able to add other apps to it.  Including some apps from DJI,(Ground Station Pro)  that will allow you to fly with waypoints, virtual walls, and do other cool stuff.  I have the P4P.  I love it.  The pics are out of this world, but I don't hike and I woudln't want to hike with it on my back.  It's larger, heaver, (more stable in the wind though) and a great drone.  I don't regret it at all.  Once you decide what's important to you, the choice will become clear.  Let us know what you decide.
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-17 09:49
If you want the quality of the pics, then you want the P4P.  If you want to throw it in your backpack and heft it up the trail, then you should get the Mavic.  It really is an either-or  proposition.  Yes, the P4P will run you about 2k, and be aware of the limitations of the P4P+ (the one with the attached screen).  It has the benefit of being brighter (and that is a very good thing) it has the downside of not being able to add other apps to it.  Including some apps from DJI,(Ground Station Pro)  that will allow you to fly with waypoints, virtual walls, and do other cool stuff.  I have the P4P.  I love it.  The pics are out of this world, but I don't hike and I woudln't want to hike with it on my back.  It's larger, heaver, (more stable in the wind though) and a great drone.  I don't regret it at all.  Once you decide what's important to you, the choice will become clear.  Let us know what you decide.

Yes, if I get the Phantom 4 Pro it won't be the one with the screen attached. It is a tough decision. But the way I see it...I either get the Phantom 4 Pro or I wait a year to get a Mavic that is capable of 4K 60 FPS.
2017-10-17
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-17 10:46
Yes, if I get the Phantom 4 Pro it won't be the one with the screen attached. It is a tough decision. But the way I see it...I either get the Phantom 4 Pro or I wait a year to get a Mavic that is capable of 4K 60 FPS.

Are they going to do that?  I didn't know they had announced it.  I don't follow things close, but that surprised me.  
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-17 12:48
Are they going to do that?  I didn't know they had announced it.  I don't follow things close, but that surprised me.

Sorry I didn't write my post very clearly. I should have stated that we will "likely" see a new Mavic or Mavic variant that shoots 4K 60 FPS in the next year. Actually I am quite suprised the Mavic Pro Platinum didn't upgrade to 4K 60FPS.

Yes the Karma is an inferior drone to the Mavic, but at least I could shoot 4K 60 FPS and do it for $600 (because I have the Hero 6 and Karma Grip already).

I know I've stated it several times over, but I just don't know if I can spend $1000+ on a drone that can't shoot 4K 60 (especially knowing it would likely be available in the next year). Pay a few hundred bucks more and you get the 4K 60 FPS and better camera from the P4P.
That is my thought process - take it for what it's worth.
2017-10-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

If you are really going hiking with it then consider the Spark!

If you take a Phantom or Karma on a hike then you are actually going droning with hike to get there instead of going hiking and taking a drone with you.
The Phantom isn't heavy, it just takes up a lot of space.
The Mavic is better on size, but it still takes space and you do loose out on camera quality.
The Spark takes very little space, the video is only HD and the photos don't have raw, but people still get good video and photos from it, and it does fly properly if you have the controller instead of making hand signals to it.

I would much rather fly the Phantom if I have a car to carry it within a few miles of the destination, but not if carrying it about on trains and planes.
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-10-17 14:17
If you are really going hiking with it then consider the Spark!

If you take a Phantom or Karma on a hike then you are actually going droning with hike to get there instead of going hiking and taking a drone with you.

Yea definitely no interest in the Spark at this point.

I suppose the real solution is to buy both a Mavic Pro and a Phantom 4 Pro ha!

I could realistically pick up a Phantom 4 Pro this year and then later next year pick up a Mavic Pro.
2017-10-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-17 14:22
Yea definitely no interest in the Spark at this point.

I suppose the real solution is to buy both a Mavic Pro and a Phantom 4 Pro ha!

If your main interest is the camera then it is the Phantom you want, but you could save a little by going for the Advanced instead of the Pro.  You obviously know how to fly so you don't need the reverse obstacle avoidance sensors.  It always flies forwards during autonomous return to home.
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-10-17 14:49
If your main interest is the camera then it is the Phantom you want, but you could save a little by going for the Advanced instead of the Pro.  You obviously know how to fly so you don't need the reverse obstacle avoidance sensors.  It always flies forwards during autonomous return to home.

Yea...you do have a point. I would likely spend the extra cash to get the Pro though. Budget isn't as big of a concern as features to me. The P4P really does seem like a lot of drone for the money. Although I have to admit if the Mavic shot 4K 60FPS I would likely buy it for its compact size.
2017-10-17
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

Question is:....if you already have the hero and the karma grip...why dont you just buy the karma drone and wait for the next phantom 5?....if you go hiking...take the karma grip, wanna dive...get the camera!....wanna fly...get the drone!.....save the extra cash to have a better vacation!
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Cinefilms Posted at 2017-10-17 15:59
Question is:....if you already have the hero and the karma grip...why dont you just buy the karma drone and wait for the next phantom 5?....if you go hiking...take the karma grip, wanna dive...get the camera!....wanna fly...get the drone!.....save the extra cash to have a better vacation!

Because the Karma drone is the biggest piece of junk I have seen haha

I think I will likely end up with the P4P.
2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cinefilms Posted at 2017-10-17 15:59

why dont you just buy the karma drone

That's a really good question.
Here are 2 really good answers:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/gopro-karma-drone-review.html
and .....
2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-17 20:40

Good argument

I don't think that guy likes the Karma...
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-17 20:40

Haha I saw this review...
2017-10-18
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

I don't know. There are good points from those with the Mavic and good points from those with the P4P. Truthfully...I am still leaning towards the P4P. It's not an easy choice. I'm sure I will miss out on the size of the Mavic, but I'd rather not miss out on the incredible camera of the P4P.

I'm gonna have to think about it over the next few weeks.
2017-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules