2108 29 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

On the original Mavic, if you do not upgrade the FW and fly with the new props, could a warranty claim be denied if the drone crashes?

I read assumptions about the FW adjusting the ESC calibration so the motors handle the props adequatelly. So if you don't upgrade, in the long run, are you damaging the Mavic's motors? Or creating undesired vibration?
2017-10-16
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I believe the ESC's are tuned to the new props to comply with a change in the RPM's of the motor in the latest FW. If you are worried about warranty I would not run the new props without updating the FW to accept them.
2017-10-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

as long as they are made by Dji and unmodified in any way the new winglet tip props on their own should not void warranty.   
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It is recommended upgrading the firmware to the latest version for the optimal use of the low-noise propellers. For the warranty, we need to analyze and investigate first.
2017-10-16
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-16 18:40
It is recommended upgrading the firmware to the latest version for the optimal use of the low-noise propellers. For the warranty, we need to analyze and investigate first.

Thanks - so, just to confirm, recommended doesn't mean mandatory correct?
In the long run, will the drone suffer unwanted motor stress when using new props on a non-recommended FW?

2017-10-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not upgraded to FW would be giving DJI an excuse. I def would as the FW is specific to those newer props.
2017-10-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is good information since I just ordered the new props
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

chalde Posted at 2017-10-17 03:58
Thanks - so, just to confirm, recommended doesn't mean mandatory correct?
In the long run, will the drone suffer unwanted motor stress when using new props on a non-recommended FW?

I haven't tested this before, but I am so curious why you would use a set of low-noise props to the old firmware drone which couldn't perform the new props function properly.
2017-10-17
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-17 22:45
I haven't tested this before, but I am so curious why you would use a set of low-noise props to the old firmware drone which couldn't perform the new props function properly.

yes interested to know why?
2017-10-17
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

CA Mavic Pro Posted at 2017-10-17 23:31
yes interested to know why?

Because the new firmware versions contain many restrictions that weren't there in previous versions.  For example, you have the Goggles so you have no need to be tethered to a phone all the time.  It's no longer possible to fly like this with new firmware versions.

I have my suspicions that the new firmware versions are the whole key to this AeroSnoop technology (or whatever it's called) that DJI is trying to sell to airports.  So DJI needs to come up with all kinds of excuses to get you to update your firmware and screw yourself.
2017-10-18
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

BTW, what exactly has been changed in the new firmware in order to make the new props "perform properly" on Mavic Pro?  
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-18 03:50
BTW, what exactly has been changed in the new firmware in order to make the new props "perform properly" on Mavic Pro?

The firmware sets the drone's configurations to fit the new props.
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-18 03:50

Yeah, what Thor said.  It changes the drone to "fit the new props".  Please pay no attention to the fact that folks have used the new props with old firmware with no ill effects.  Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!  

Update your firmware with all haste.  Today's excuse is the new props.  Next week it'll be something else.  They really, really want you to update your firmware.  Y'all ask yourself why.
2017-10-18
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

Why would you be worried about software tracking you at airports. Surely as a responsible flyer you would not be flying anywhere near them?
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

GrahamG Posted at 2017-10-18 05:08
Why would you be worried about software tracking you at airports. Surely as a responsible flyer you would not be flying anywhere near them?

I'm not so much worried about being tracked near airports since I do not fly anywhere near them.  But I AM concerned about my aircraft broadcasting its location in the clear to anyone who happens to want to listen in.  Without my permission.  And god knows what else is going on over the air.  If they would have just told us this up front and let us switch it off at will; that would be different.  It's all about how goddamn sneaky they are.
2017-10-18
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Still can’t see the issue. I’m guessing dji just don’t want to be the first drone sucked into a 747. Doubt they are using them to spy on us zipping along canyons and riverbanks.
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Who's "they"?  If you've got a connection open on your phone/tablet, DJI already knows where you are.  They always have, and I'm not going to make a fuss over that as it's been that way forever and I can switch off wifi.

But I do not want my schmuck neighbor buying himself a $100 receiver off ebay (just wait; it'll happen) so he can go complain every time I take off even though I'm nowhere near his property.  Or worse, ready his scope-equipped rifles.  You cannot keep the technology only in the hands of airports and authorities.  It never works out that way.
2017-10-18
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I’ve got nothing...anyone?
2017-10-18
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-18 05:01
The firmware sets the drone's configurations to fit the new props.

And forgive me if I am being stupid to ask... what are those configurations??
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-18 07:04
And forgive me if I am being stupid to ask... what are those configurations??

That's proprietary information and too complex for us mere mortals to understand.  It's super-duper secret high-tech physics stuff.  It's best just to trust the pro's and upgrade your firmware like a good little boy.
2017-10-18
Use props
Hotelone4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47320 ft
United States

GrahamG Posted at 2017-10-18 06:08
I’ve got nothing...anyone?

Well he IS the "Irate Retro" after all!
2017-10-18
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

From what I've read on another forum, using the new props will the old firmware still gives you a quieter result.
I'm simply worried about possible extra stress on the motors, because the motors might not be "tuned" properly. This is why I want to know if that's the reason for which we have to upgrade the FW...

As someone else pointed out, I also do not trust the newer FW updates that require me to authenticate. My drone flights perfectly fine with the .700 firmware and getting the new props was mostly for their visuals, not their lower noise benefit. I could care less about that.

I simply do not want to give an excuse to DJI to deny a claim if my drone crashes while I was flying with the new props, and didn't upgrade the FW....
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

chalde Posted at 2017-10-18 14:39
I simply do not want to give an excuse to DJI to deny a claim if my  drone crashes while I was flying with the new props, and didn't upgrade  the FW....

Did the new props come with an instruction sheet that told you that you had to update the firmware in order to use them?  What I'm getting at here is, what about all those people who bought the props but never visited this forum before?  How would they know?  DJI going to deny all those claims too?
2017-10-18
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 14:48
Did the new props come with an instruction sheet that told you that you had to update the firmware in order to use them?  What I'm getting at here is, what about all those people who bought the props but never visited this forum before?  How would they know?  DJI going to deny all those claims too?

That's a good point - worth asking DJI...

Is there a notice in the box that says update to fw XXX before using?
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

chalde Posted at 2017-10-18 14:39
From what I've read on another forum, using the new props will the old firmware still gives you a quieter result.
I'm simply worried about possible extra stress on the motors, because the motors might not be "tuned" properly. This is why I want to know if that's the reason for which we have to upgrade the FW...

Hi there, using new props with old firmware on Mavic Pro might cause some vibration that affects the flight performance, but won't cause a crash nor damage the aircraft. It is more about performance. So if a crash happens, whether DJI will take warranty is still based on the actual reason for the crash, which had very little chance to be a mismatch of firmware and the prop. And yes we will add the note in sales page later.
2017-10-19
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-19 18:02
Hi there, using new props with old firmware on Mavic Pro might cause some vibration that affects the flight performance, but won't cause a crash nor damage the aircraft. It is more about performance. So if a crash happens, whether DJI will take warranty is still based on the actual reason for the crash, which had very little chance to be a mismatch of firmware and the prop. And yes we will add the note in sales page later.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond with this information.
2017-10-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-19 18:02

Forgive my ignorance, but I've gotten the new props and I have the latest firmware and GO4 app.  Is there a setting hiding somewhere that I need to select to use the new props, or does the firmware recognize them automatically?
2017-10-20
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Recognizes them automatically the motors will spin about 50 rpm slower at hover
2017-10-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

EastyT Posted at 2017-10-20 16:08
Forgive my ignorance, but I've gotten the new props and I have the latest firmware and GO4 app.  Is there a setting hiding somewhere that I need to select to use the new props, or does the firmware recognize them automatically?

You don't need other settings to use the new low-noise props, the new firmware had optimized the drone's configuration to fit them. Happy flying.
2017-10-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

chalde Posted at 2017-10-20 13:19
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond with this information.

You are welcome, Chalde. Just a word of caution, fly the drone safely, enjoy.
2017-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules