Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MY Gimbal reset mid-flight
2131 27 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Siriusdave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 896818 ft
United Kingdom

Hi I have been posting on another thread about this but I did not wont to take it over so I had made my own

I have had a replacement back from dji under care refresh and I have had 3-4 flights now but on every flight the gimbal has had a funny reset going on (see videos below )

http://www.siriusplex.tv/dji/2017_10_14_12_08_04_reset1.mp4
http://www.siriusplex.tv/dji/2017_10_14_12_08_30_reset2.mp4
http://www.siriusplex.tv/dji/2017_10_14_12_08_37_reset3.mp4

All FW is up to date, it is recording all the time when the reset happens but when I get home the reset bit is not on the SD card at all , only recorded on my phone, all other video is on the SD card.

I Format the card and tried again and its the same.

I have also noticed this last time on start up it has a knocking noise when the gimbal is calibrating, when the camera goes up its like its hitting something , will try to get a video of this.

Any help would be great.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Have you tried to refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2, then calibrate the gimbal? Please have a try, see if it is better.
2017-10-17
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes I did refresh the FW after the first time it happen via DJI assistant 2 , have calibrate the gimbal many times also
2017-10-17
Use props
Stolz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 783455 ft
Hong Kong

I'm having the same issue. After each reset the camera becomes unusable because of crooked horizon.  Adjusting the gimbal tilt does not help. I need to land the drone and restart it for the gimbal to behave normally again.
2017-10-17
Use props
Kenneth R.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 201850 ft
Bulgaria

Try to blow on the gimbal, there may be dust or small rocks hiding inside, that was my problem once.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-17 01:54
Yes I did refresh the FW after the first time it happen via DJI assistant 2 , have calibrate the gimbal many times also

Could you please provide me with your DJI Care case number? I'd like to have a look. And I will forward the videos to our engineer for a check.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Stolz Posted at 2017-10-17 02:13
I'm having the same issue. After each reset the camera becomes unusable because of crooked horizon.  Adjusting the gimbal tilt does not help. I need to land the drone and restart it for the gimbal to behave normally again.

How often does the reset issue happen to your drone?
2017-10-17
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-17 03:08
How often does the reset issue happen to your drone?

At least once a flight , I have only have 4 maybe 5 flight since I got it back from dji care
2017-10-17
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-17 03:06
Could you please provide me with your DJI Care case number? I'd like to have a look. And I will forward the videos to our engineer for a check.

This was the case number I had it replaced under CAS-943724-R8B7P1
2017-10-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Funny that you should mention this; the other day while in mid flight same thing happened to mine. Gimbal did this re-adjustment type swing (at first through the phone screen, it looked like it was falling out of the sky - I was scared to death) then I realized that it went back to normal. Never happened again, weird.
2017-10-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-17 04:14
At least once a flight , I have only have 4 maybe 5 flight since I got it back from dji care

Unfortunately this is a well-known and widespread problem that I call "gimbals gone wild", and though DJI often suggests that people send in their aircraft for replacement it's pretty common for those customers to get one back that exhibits the same behavior.
2017-10-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-17 04:21
Unfortunately this is a well-known and widespread problem that I call "gimbals gone wild", and though DJI often suggests that people send in their aircraft for replacement it's pretty common for those customers to get one back that exhibits the same behavior.

haha good description 'gimbals gone wild'... curious any idea on what could be causing this ?
2017-10-17
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

It's a known issue regardless of FW/App versions/combo.
2017-10-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-17 04:26
haha good description 'gimbals gone wild'... curious any idea on what could be causing this ?

I really have no idea, and I'm guessing DJI isn't sure either since it's been a problem for so long and they keep providing replacements with the same issue. One of the notes in a recent firmware release implied that it had been fixed or at least improved, but my perception was that reports of it actually increased when people upgraded to that version, which is another reason I'm not convinced DJI has a handle on what's causing it.
2017-10-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Got it. I'd had the gimbal adjusted/fixed back onto the mounting tray during the repairs a few weeks ago........hopefully it'll stop. We shall see. I'll have to observe and see if it happens again.
2017-10-17
Use props
YouserName
lvl.1
Flight distance : 185892 ft
United Kingdom

Happens to me every flight. Some times within 30 seconds and other times I can record up to around 5 mins before it happens. My last flight, it didn't happen at all though.  Hoping it never happens again.
2017-10-17
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Any help on this matter ?

My one sounds like the camera is hitting the anti-drop hooks on start up , knocking noise. so where the camera is hitting this when the Mavic breaks hard and the is coursing it to reset in mid flight ...... I just don't know ?????Will try to get a video of this knocking noise and post it ..

Would like to get this sorted because it very worrying when it happen mid flight , looks like your Mavic is falling from the sky on you phone screen
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-17 04:14

That's too frequently, could you please send the drone in for diagnosis? Please contact the Support to start a case and provide me with your case number, I'll escalate it for you and will keep an eye on it as well.  http://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2017-10-19
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I had it before repair and I have it now after core board exchange, fortunately not every flight, but funny part is that before repair reset took around 10 seconds, now it takes 30-40 seconds to recover
Obviously, this is DJI design flow so i do not expect resolution
2017-10-19
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-19 23:13
That's too frequently, could you please send the drone in for diagnosis? Please contact the Support to start a case and provide me with your case number, I'll escalate it for you and will keep an eye on it as well.  http://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav

Don't want to really send it back as I have a few job coming up in the next few weeks that I need the drone for and I have only just got it back from repair..

Surly replacement drone are fully tested under care refresh before sending out to people ??

And am I covered for this as it was sent to me like this on care refresh don't want to have to pay to get it fixed as it come from DJI like this ...
2017-10-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-20 01:51
Don't want to really send it back as I have a few job coming up in the next few weeks that I need the drone for and I have only just got it back from repair..

Surly replacement drone are fully tested under care refresh before sending out to people ??

Sorry for the trouble you have been caused, I understand how you feel. It will be covered by warranty if it's product malfunction and within the warranty period. Please start a case first, then provide me with your case number, I'll keep an eye on it, sorry again for this.
2017-10-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-20 01:51

I understand, and normally I wouldn't recommend sending it back at all because the replacements seem to have the problem as often as the originals. However, once you have a time when you can afford to be without it I'd suggest considering getting another replacement, because it does sound like you're experiencing the problem more frequently than most people, so there's a good chance you'd at least see the problem less frequently with a different Mavic.

I'm certain they do, but since this problem occurs sporadically it's very possible that they did a reasonable amount of testing on the one they sent you and never had any trouble with it.
2017-10-20
Use props
nottuppaware
First Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I had the same happen to me today. Gimbal flicked up and reset up and came back on an angle. I did return to home and it fixed it!

https://youtu.be/ZwbPqPijTe0
2017-10-25
Use props
Mike Martinez
New
United States

Not sure if there has been any solution to this, my Mavic has been doing this mid flight gimbal reset which looks like the drone got hit by a bird or is falling out of the sky. Sometimes it will go into a repeated loop of the gimbal resetting and jerking back and forth. I have had to fly it back blind and turn everything off and then back on to get it to work again. Also having issues with the video feed freezing mid flight and having to fly home and reset everything to get it back again. This is super lame to be having to deal with. I have previously flown Phantoms and not had issues like this. The Mavic Pro has been problems since the day I bought it, which was not the case for the Phantom.
2018-2-19
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Had the Gimbal reset also. Only happened once and I thought I lost the MP. Didn't know it was the Gimbal until I made a Post and I received replies.    https://forum.dji.com/thread-134557-1-1.html
2018-2-19
Use props
DroneMann1
lvl.1

Isle of Man

Mike Martinez Posted at 2018-2-19 08:44
Not sure if there has been any solution to this, my Mavic has been doing this mid flight gimbal reset which looks like the drone got hit by a bird or is falling out of the sky. Sometimes it will go into a repeated loop of the gimbal resetting and jerking back and forth. I have had to fly it back blind and turn everything off and then back on to get it to work again. Also having issues with the video feed freezing mid flight and having to fly home and reset everything to get it back again. This is super lame to be having to deal with. I have previously flown Phantoms and not had issues like this. The Mavic Pro has been problems since the day I bought it, which was not the case for the Phantom.

This is identical to what mine has done tonight.  I thought I had hit a bird.  Also the screen frozen mid flight just before hand.  I had to reset it when i flew it home blind.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening, my MP is only 1 month old.

Any thiughts guys?
2018-2-19
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

After DJI Diana post about me sending it back the drone stop doing it and I have not had it since , maybe my one was a software bug, touch wood not had it again
2018-3-12
Use props
drone_user
lvl.4
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

what type of phone/tablet are you guys using? android or ios?
2018-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules