Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Unveils Technology To Identify And Track Airborne Drones
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

AeroScope uses the existing communications link between a drone and its remote controller to broadcast identification information such as a registration or serial number, as well as basic telemetry, including location, altitude, speed and direction. Police, security agencies, aviation authorities and other authorized parties can use an AeroScope receiver to monitor, analyze and act on that information. AeroScope has been installed at two international airports since April, and is continuing to test and evaluate its performance in other operational environments.

http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-unveils-technology-to-identify-and-track-airborne-drones
2017-10-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Nice, so on one hand they proclaim improved privacy with updates to do so, then turn around and develop systems to ID who we are or at least our uavs.
Yes yes, safety I get it so big brother can keep an eye on us and know who is doing what when and where.  However, don't wave privacy over here when acting to unveil privacy over there, at the very least inform all owners of this revelation with something more than just a simple news release...just sayin
2017-10-18
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-18 03:32
Nice, so on one hand they proclaim improved privacy with updates to do so, then turn around and develop systems to ID who we are or at least our uavs.
Yes yes, safety I get it so big brother can keep an eye on us and know who is doing what when and where.  However, don't wave privacy over here when acting to unveil privacy over there, at the very least inform all owners of this revelation with something more than just a simple news release...just sayin

I couldn't agree more with you Genhis9!  We shouldn't have to hear this second-hand information this way. Why not be up-front and let us be aware of what's happening, instead of finding out that you are being secretly watched.
2017-10-18
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-10-18 03:44
I couldn't agree more with you Genhis9!  We shouldn't have to hear this second-hand information this way. Why not be up-front and let us be aware of what's happening, instead of finding out that you are being secretly watched.

The duplicity with this company is extremely bothersome to me.  They are so extremely concerned with protecting their brand, OK fine, but to the point that they seem to not consider or care about their customer base.  They cannot have it both ways, but they can also do a lot more to address both sides in a more forthright manner.  I don't like this slight of hand stuff and finding out changes to my system after I do an update or read/hear about it in the news.  I thought this forum existed for one, to inform their customers about things, they don't seem to hesitate doing so about new products.
I'm just trying to determine if this is cultural or just being that type of a controlling company that almost seems to border on paranoia.  [...and obligatorily speaking, yes I know their are some real idiots out there with these drones that warrant some consideration in managing these products, just doesn't have to be the seller doing so after they've sold you the product]
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Currently, any hobbyist/joker/miscreant can buy himself an ADS-B receiver for cheap and sit there at home on the computer monitoring nearly every commercial flight in range.  (Not much harm in that since it's already available on web sites, but...)  Anyone wanna place any bets on how long it will take before someone starts selling an inexpensive device that does the same thing for all DJI drones?  This is a serious privacy issue, plus just think of all the trouble it can cause for you.

How would you like it if your car or phone was transmitting its location at all times to anyone that owns a sub-$100 receiver?  Wow, this is a load of bull.
2017-10-18
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-18 08:03
The duplicity with this company is extremely bothersome to me.  They are so extremely concerned with protecting their brand, OK fine, but to the point that they seem to not consider or care about their customer base.  They cannot have it both ways, but they can also do a lot more to address both sides in a more forthright manner.  I don't like this slight of hand stuff and finding out changes to my system after I do an update or read/hear about it in the news.  I thought this forum existed for one, to inform their customers about things, they don't seem to hesitate doing so about new products.
I'm just trying to determine if this is cultural or just being that type of a controlling company that almost seems to border on paranoia.  [...and obligatorily speaking, yes I know their are some real idiots out there with these drones that warrant some consideration in managing these products, just doesn't have to be the seller doing so after they've sold you the product]

To touch on that a bit. They do seem very protective of all product data, etc. I mean they won't even put out a parts diagram for us to buy replacement parts. I get keeping a lid on the software and technology, but like you said, I would think  their own forum would be a good place to share more information. I know they do a little, but very little in my book. It seems they only offer up info only when something is asked, and then it is usually very short.  
2017-10-18
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-10-18 09:27
To touch on that a bit. They do seem very protective of all product data, etc. I mean they won't even put out a parts diagram for us to buy replacement parts. I get keeping a lid on the software and technology, but like you said, I would think  their own forum would be a good place to share more information. I know they do a little, but very little in my book. It seems they only offer up info only when something is asked, and then it is usually very short.

I agree completely!
2017-10-18
Use props
droneflyer101
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Found this, a decent video explaining it from Heliguy in the UK

2018-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules