Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Battery Problems
4488 19 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft
United Kingdom

I've got a DJI phantom 3 battery that may have a cell problem? the DJI Go App says there is a battery cell fault when the drone is connected to the RC. The battery still charges up to 100% but the second led light flashes saying short circuit. I've had the battery on the drone and it still ok to fly but i've not flown untill the battery runs down, just a short flight and then landed.
What problems would i encounter if i use this battery for a full flight or i keep using this battery? If i need to dispose of the battery i will but i'm just asking the question what could happen if i use it still.
2017-10-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It's a roll of the dice.
2017-10-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I would not fly with that battery but you could use it for desktop use and pre flight setup saving power in good batteries
2017-10-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

If you use that battery in a full flight you run a very strong risk of your drone falling out of the sky.
I would never use a faulty battery as a flight battery.
As i mentioned it should be fine for pre flight setups and desktop use.
2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Be Great for the onboard flight SIM, or doing any future firmware updates...
You could also do a short hover, then check the flight LOG, for battery annomaly.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Or you may ship it to me, for a proper & royal burial. Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, have you tried to discharge the battery and recharge it fully? If no helps, I would not suggest to use this battery as flight safety is top priority.
2017-10-17
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-17 19:11
Just to verify, have you tried to discharge the battery and recharge it fully? If no helps, I would not suggest to use this battery as flight safety is top priority.

I've not discharged the battery as yet but what I will do then is to put the battery in the drone remove gimbal and propellers and turn it on and leave until the battery runs out of power, then I'll recharge the battery and see what happens.

2017-10-17
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-17 17:08
Be Great for the onboard flight SIM, or doing any future firmware updates...
You could also do a short hover, then check the flight LOG, for battery annomaly.

I've checked the flight battery mode when I connected up, the 4 green cells was ok and almost reading the same volts, one cell was a fraction lower than the other 3.

2017-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-17 23:08
I've not discharged the battery as yet but what I will do then is to put the battery in the drone remove gimbal and propellers and turn it on and leave until the battery runs out of power, then I'll recharge the battery and see what happens.

No need to remove the gimbal. Just set the drone on an upturned fan, to help keep it cool.

Otherwise, if you have an air conditioner...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-17 23:17
I've checked the flight battery mode when I connected up, the 4 green cells was ok and almost reading the same volts, one cell was a fraction lower than the other 3.

Actually, that sounds completely normal.
One cell can be slightly depleted of voltage, as you go through it's use.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about a couple of points...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-17 23:08

Noted with thanks! Good luck!
2017-10-18
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

after its charged to 100%,trying hovering and watch for a bad cell,a bad cell will deplete very rapid.watch cell voltage,they should come down slow and will be fairly close to each other if not i would get a new battery. good luck.
2017-10-18
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not so fast!!  When you say a "fraction lower", that could be significant ......was it more the .1 volts different then any of the other cells?  
Can you take a screen shot of the battery page in the app and post it?
2017-10-18
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

If the battery cell is greater/less then .1 volt different then any of the other 3 cells at rest, that is an unstable condition for flying.  
You have a real risk for the P3 having catastrophic battery failure during flight and as Hellsgate said falling from the sky.
Doesn't matter if all the cells are still in the green.........is the voltage difference between cells that is critical.
2017-10-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The pack has 4 cells and it is not unusual for one or more cells to show slightly less while in use .... all due to Internal Resistance.

Each cell will suffer voltage drop based on its own Internal Resistance to supplying required power. As it drops - the amps go up - creates a greater voltage drop ... the cell with higher Ri will exhibit a greater voltage drop than the others ...
Take pack off load and cell will rebound to similar to others ... maybe a touch lower.

Nigel
2017-10-18
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I took the P3P for a fly today and on the third battery change that I put the faulty battery in the drone. The faulty battery is already synced to the drone and rc and it recognises this faulty battery straight away, I hovered the P3P to about 2 to 3 Mts high, I also flew around but no more than 10 Mts away and stayed low to the ground. I looked on the battery page that 1 and 3 cells was lower in voltage than 2 and 4 by just under 1 volt and both 1 and 3 cell was in amber colour, both 2 and 4 green.

All 4 cells depleted at the same time and at the same rate neither any of the cells depleted faster than any other. When I landed the drone all the cells turned to green and when I took off both 1 and 3 turned to amber. The temp of the battery didn't stayed at a safe level and didn't heat up.

Iv'e now got the drone on the kitchen table with the faulty battery in and switched on until the battery runs out, then I'll put the battery on charge and see what happens.
2017-10-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

OK ... that indicates as I say - high Internal Resistance on cells 1 + 3 .....

There is no way to correct this. LiPo damage is UNrecoverable.

You may have temporary improvement for a flight - but honest ... it will re-appear probably during that first flight.

The battery is best kept for updating / sim use etc. and not for flight.

Deep discharge as some advocate is a myth and seldom makes any real difference other than  the short lived temporary as mentioned.

Nigel
2017-10-18
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-18 08:50
OK ... that indicates as I say - high Internal Resistance on cells 1 + 3 .....

There is no way to correct this. LiPo damage is UNrecoverable.

Many thanks for the feedback from all of you guys. I've charged up the battery and its now fully charged there was only one green light left on and this light was a 2 flash per second and it was the 3rd light of the four.

I will mark this battery as faulty and only use it for updates and table use. I will not use it for flights. Thanks again
2017-10-18
Use props
djiuser_lUxbzyOzyJC4
New

Romania

I've got a new phantom 3 standard but the batery don't works lights , i mean doesn't light If i plug in to charge or i push the buton
2020-1-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

If the battery doesn't light up at all no matter what you do, it's almost certainly dead.  You could try pushing the button, let it sit for 5 mins without touching it, then try to charge it.  It might wake up, but the odds are not good.  

Good luck
2020-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules