Phantom 4 Firmware Update Issues - Help Please
4454 19 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LegoMeEggo
New
United States

Hello Everyone,

I have been browsing the articles here to see if my issue has been hashed out already and have not come across it.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the
right direction on how to fix this issue.

I haven't used my Phantom 4 in a month since after purchasing 2 different tablets -- both with connectivity issues.  I finally put out another $300 bucks and bought
one recommended to the drone.  Finally worked GREAT for one flight.  

I noticed it was reporting a firmware update available.  Plugged the drone into the computer -- started the update -- and it failed at 90%.  No problem.  The assistant
was then reporting there was no firmware on the machine.  No problem -- I reset to factory settings -- ran the update again -- and it worked.  (Or so I thought).

After the update and after cycling the machine back on.  The DJI App was telling me that a firmware update was necessary.  After another reboot, it was telling me
I had the latest version.  This is where everything goes haywire.

The DJI app now will sometimes connect to the drone, and sometimes say Not Connected.  The drone has one steady green light on the side, the controller however
is cycling from a red led to green off and on (the first led) and the others are steady white.  The picture that gets transmitted to the tablet is frozen and very pixelated.
I changed out the battery (three brand new batteries) to a freshly charged one -- no change.  

So my drone is not flyable at the moment.  My first thought is that I should flash it back to factory settings and then reinstall the firmware it had on it (which is the
version before the latest one) thinking the latest one is bugged.  I'm just not sure.

Any suggestions from the pros would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Robert
2017-10-17
Use props
LegoMeEggo
New
United States

Cant edit the post but to add:  When the controller is flashing red/green/red/green rapidly, it also is screaming at me in the forms of beep beep beep just steadily..  Hope that helps.
2017-10-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LegoMeEggo Posted at 2017-10-17 13:10
Cant edit the post but to add:  When the controller is flashing red/green/red/green rapidly, it also is screaming at me in the forms of beep beep beep just steadily..  Hope that helps.

It looks like the RC is needing updated. If its not been done then it will have difficulty in talking to aircraft:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a few seconds to appear). If it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. That may make the difference to your display.

You also need to run aircraft update once using each new battery. There is a battery update included as part of the aircraft update package.
2017-10-17
Use props
LegoMeEggo
New
United States

Hey Aardvark,

Thank you for the reply.  That's exactly what I thought yesterday.  I went out to field test the machine and it was saying firmware update needed.  Shut everything down and went home.  When I booted it up this morning it was saying firmware version current I think.  Even though I did not update it.  Everything I tried, everywhere I looked -- I could not find a function to tell it to update anyway.  Do you know if there is a way to put the RC back to factory and redo the update?  I suspect that will fix it.

Thanks again,

Robert
2017-10-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LegoMeEggo Posted at 2017-10-17 14:18
Hey Aardvark,

Thank you for the reply.  That's exactly what I thought yesterday.  I went out to field test the machine and it was saying firmware update needed.  Shut everything down and went home.  When I booted it up this morning it was saying firmware version current I think.  Even though I did not update it.  Everything I tried, everywhere I looked -- I could not find a function to tell it to update anyway.  Do you know if there is a way to put the RC back to factory and redo the update?  I suspect that will fix it.

I suspect your update is good. I edited my post above, adding battery update note.
2017-10-17
Use props
LegoMeEggo
New
United States

Ahh off to try that..  Thanks again!
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Aardvark's advice is spot on. The RC has not been updated to the latest version. You can check it in General Settings>About. Please make sure the aircraft firmware and controller firmware matched, then link RC to check again.
2017-10-17
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1023320 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-17 18:58
Aardvark's advice is spot on. The RC has not been updated to the latest version. You can check it in General Settings>About. Please make sure the aircraft firmware and controller firmware matched, then link RC to check again.

Hi DJI Susan is it possible to get the beta Ver for my Phantom 4.I had instability issues since the update 3 months ago.Ver 106. Thank you Manny.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-10-17 19:18
Hi DJI Susan is it possible to get the beta Ver for my Phantom 4.I had instability issues since the update 3 months ago.Ver 106. Thank you Manny.

Please PM me your DJI account, and I'm glad to help you get the beta firmware.
2017-10-18
Use props
LegoMeEggo
New
United States

Hey Aardvark and Susan!  

I want to thank you both for your help.  I tried those suggestions to no avail.  I was able to get a DJI Tech on the phone today, we discussed it and its now fixed.  This is what happened and
the solution in case anyone else comes across this issue.

So the constant beeping the controller was doing was to indicate that there was a firmware mismatch with the controller and the aircraft (just like Aardvark said).  The problem was that the controller
stopped talking to my tablet and I could not get it to connect even after uninstalling and reinstalling the DJI Go app.  I had Googled the button sequence to do a "hard reset" of the controller but the sequence
listed in many of the posts I read (C1+C2+Record Button+Shutter Button) did not work with my controller.  The tech instructed me to push (C1+C2+The button on the right side of the controller in front of
shutter button - while holding those down - power on the controller -- wait a few moments and then power it back off).

Once I performed that task, the controller once again connected to the tablet.  In the DJI Go app there is a button that looks like three lines on the top right hand side of the screen.  Clicking that will take you to
the Academy and some other things.  Placing your finger on this button and holding it will take to you a screen where you can rollback your firmware to a previous version.  As it turns out, the firmware on the
controller had ended up corrupted or erased and the controller was reporting that it had NO firmware on it.  Installing the earliest available firmware, rebooting the controller, and going into the DJI Go app as normal
then reported a firmware update was available.  Updating it to the newest version at that point corrected the mismatch issue I had previously.  In my case, I also had to recalibrate the controller.

In the end -- YAY!  Problem resolved.  

Thanks to those who helped me figure this out!  I hope the explanation of my issue will help someone else!

Robert
2017-10-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LegoMeEggo Posted at 2017-10-18 13:35
Hey Aardvark and Susan!  

I want to thank you both for your help.  I tried those suggestions to no avail.  I was able to get a DJI Tech on the phone today, we discussed it and its now fixed.  This is what happened and

Thanks for the update, good news to hear it all came together. Most of what you say I am familiar with, however could I ask you to run through the reset again ?

C1 + C2 + ?

When you say the button in front of the shutter button is that the 'click wheel' you are referring to, or the pause button (two stripes on it) 2nd right from the antenna (the shutter button being closest to antenna) ?
2017-10-18
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-18 01:52
Please PM me your DJI account, and I'm glad to help you get the beta firmware.

I’m sorry Susan this is going to sound stupid,but how do I PM you.
2017-10-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-10-18 16:13

If you look at post number nine, then look at DJI Susans Avatar, just below that you will see a link for 'personal message'. Click on that and all should be good.
2017-10-18
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-10-18 16:23
If you look at post number nine, then look at DJI Susans Avatar, just below that you will see a link for 'personal message'. Click on that and all should be good.

Aardvark I get the window for PM ,but I cannot write on it. maybe is because it’s a IPad Air?
2017-10-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-10-18 16:29
Aardvark I get the window for PM ,but I cannot write on it. maybe is because it’s a IPad Air?

OK , when window opens up to enter PM, tap on the bottom section of the window, that is the text entry line (The bottom line with emoticon to the right). Then 'enter' to send text.

Just did a quick test on my iPad pro.

2017-10-18
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-10-18 16:49
OK , when window opens up to enter PM, tap on the bottom section of the window, that is the text entry line (The bottom line with emoticon to the right). Then 'enter' to send text.

Just did a quick test on my iPad pro.

Thank you .I posted the PM . Once I finish how do I send it .Just close the window?
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-10-18 16:13

Well received your message in PM. I will forward to the designated team and add you in. Please try to refresh the firmware when you received it.
2017-10-19
Use props
Curt Austin
New
United States

Can someone direct me to the current best, sure-fire, jargon-free solution to the specific new-firmware-caused issue I have? The "weak image transmission/connect-disconnect" problem. I've found and tried about five fixes already, but none worked, or revealed other problems (e.g., Assistant 2 won't connect). If a PC is required, note I use a Mac.

I'd post a new thread, but that's another problem I have, even though I should have the requisite points. Thanks.
2017-10-19
Use props
filippog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 252516 ft
Italy

Dji Susan I would like to ask you if I upgrade my phantom 4 with firmware ... 106 or beta ..... 0600 with good probability of success. Do you think it's okay to wait for newer firmware or more stable releases? Let me know, please
2017-10-20
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387126 ft
United States

Curt Austin Posted at 2017-10-19 04:39
Can someone direct me to the current best, sure-fire, jargon-free solution to the specific new-firmware-caused issue I have? The "weak image transmission/connect-disconnect" problem. I've found and tried about five fixes already, but none worked, or revealed other problems (e.g., Assistant 2 won't connect). If a PC is required, note I use a Mac.

I'd post a new thread, but that's another problem I have, even though I should have the requisite points. Thanks.

Curt......i have  exactly what you have and  I have not flown yet  BUT i think i got mine fixed...Im watching for your answer and I hope it will fix your drone.......Yes i got the weak image and the telemetry  to be their and Not their on the tablet.....right now i wish i had a Good answer for you......BUT i need to fly my drone to be sure...i have a  P3 SE.
              Keep in Touch
                   Zippo In KS
2019-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules