Choosing between Mavic Pro & P4P
1302 37 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys,

I posted over on the Phantom section, but I wanted to get some feedback from the Mavic Pro owners. I am going to keep this post relatively short compared to my post on the Phatom section.

To be honest, if the Mavic Pro had the ability to shoot 4K 60 FPS it would be a total slam dunk as it does fit my mission well. It would be an easy decision. But I am honestly pretty hung up on the 4K 30 FPS. I'm just not sure I can get past that. It is tough to justify spending $1200+ (extra battery or if I went with the Platinum Mavic, etc) on something that won't shoot 4K 60 FPS - especially since other platforms are already providing 4K 60.

Theoretically I could wait another year (as I imagine we will see a 4K 60 capable Mavic)...but I have a few trips this year (including a trip to Hawaii) that I would like to film. Hence, why I am really leaning towards the P4P even though I lose some of the ease of transportation.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Thanks.
2017-10-17
Use props
Bastien Flies
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545236 ft
France

It's pretty easy to get caught up in the technical race. A great scene, even shot in 1080p is way more interesting than a meh scene shot in 8k 120fps. Your main concern seems to be the ease of transportation... Well, if you don't mind carrying that big 4P4 around, then go for it. If you're going for long hikes and want to travel light and easy, go for the Mavic, your footage will be amazing anyway. It's all about what you do with it. Hope this helps ;)
2017-10-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

P4P camera has a better quality camera so would say if you're leaning towards the P4P then go for it !  Love my Mavic but thinking of also getting the P4P as well.
2017-10-17
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have both and I use the MAIVC for fun and portability and the P4P AND P4P+ for pro shoot. If you care about the 60pfs then go fo thr P4P.
2017-10-17
Use props
Tyredecals.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why 60FPS?
Are you doing sports aerial or any slow motion work??
Pros use 24fps.
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Bastien Flies Posted at 2017-10-17 15:23
It's pretty easy to get caught up in the technical race. A great scene, even shot in 1080p is way more interesting than a meh scene shot in 8k 120fps. Your main concern seems to be the ease of transportation... Well, if you don't mind carrying that big 4P4 around, then go for it. If you're going for long hikes and want to travel light and easy, go for the Mavic, your footage will be amazing anyway. It's all about what you do with it. Hope this helps ;)

Boy...that couldn't be more true. Very easy to get caught up in "what is being released next year". I totally get that.

It is a tough choice between the Mavic and P4P. I'd like to see what it is like to carry a P4P in one of the specialty backpacks for it.

2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Tyredecals.com Posted at 2017-10-17 19:01
Why 60FPS?
Are you doing sports aerial or any slow motion work??
Pros use 24fps.

That is a good question...

I definitely want to be able to do sports/hobby aerial (rc airplanes, skiing, wakeboarding, etc). I like to think I would want to use slow motion...maybe it wouldn't be used as much as I think with a drone. It just seems like it would be a nice thing to have.

If the P4P really is a major pain to travel with then maybe I am better holding off on a 4K 60 capable Mavic...but I hate to wait another year (or who knows how long). I have heard incredible things about the P4P...seems like it is likely worth the decrease in portability.
2017-10-17
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-10-17 18:13
I have both and I use the MAIVC for fun and portability and the P4P AND P4P+ for pro shoot. If you care about the 60pfs then go fo thr P4P.

Since you have both...what is your suggestion.  If you could ONLY have one drone which would it be? Also...a bit off topic, but if I did get the P4P would you get the P4P+ or P4P? (I have an iPad mini 4 I was going to use).
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If you have more demands on the camera, I think Phantom 4 Pro is a great choice, its 1-inch sensor and more choices for recording really obsess me. But if I am going to take it along with my trip, Mavic is my first choice for its portable design, the camera is also good, this is only for me. If you need more specs comparison, here's the web: http://www.dji.com/products/comp ... ndsite&from=nav
Hope other users can also help to give you some references.
2017-10-17
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

My 50 cents
I quit windsurfing because of long setup time, sold DSLR because I missed most shots not caring it around ..... Now I have Mavic and it's always with me I even Not consider P4 line (being tech guy) because of size
2017-10-17
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

P4 camera is better,
Mavic pro follow you every where...

When it's time to flight, I prefer have a medium Mavic Pro camera than don't have my wonderful P4 camera...
2017-10-18
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-10-17 18:13

I'm with Dronist, I have both as well, I use the P3P as my work horse doing roof inspections ect..., P4P for those unforgettable shots both photo & video, and the Mavic is awesome for on the go stuff ( The Mavic, 3 batteries, 5.5" Crystal Sky, CS Battery, CS Mavic mount, set of 3 Polar Pro filters, small screwdriver to attach  the CS, and required cables fit into an old Cannon 10"x6"x7.5" DSLR soft shoulder bag ) have it with me in the car at all times, never know when something unbelievable happens while out driving.
2017-10-18
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

It's all too easy to get hung up on the techy side of things, lets face it for it's size, portability, features and general great flight characteristics the Mavic is very hard to beat. If going on long (ish) walks while looking for that great shot then nothing compares to the Mavic, I agree the camera is not as good as the P4P but then it's not that bad either and seeing some of the great video work being presented on this forum with some guys having their work show cased should tell you all you need to know.

Mine goes everywhere with me, it fits in behind my drivers seat, away from prying eyes when I'm parked up and away from the car and within minute or two can be airborne to get some great footage.

I guess the next step from DJI would be to give the MP or MPP an upgraded camera but then what do they do with the P4P and Inspire with the MP/MPP snapping at their heels? DJI have created a potentially huge problem for themselves releasing the MP.
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

If the MPP camera was better than the MP, it would've been on my to-buy list for sure.
2017-10-18
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the feedback it is very much appreciated. Unfortunately I haven't found the decision to be any easier haha. It seems like a lot of folks use the Mavic over the P4P.

Probably my biggest question at this point:
Have any of you found the 4K 30 FPS to be limiting at all? (meaning have you ever felt like you needed 4K 60 FPS?)
To some extent I am still leaning towards the P4P. Since this will be my only drone (at least for a while) I figure I would prefer the incredible camera over the portability. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to transport the P4P on an airplane. It seems like if you had the nice DJI Manfrotto backpack it would be quite simple, but then I again I certainly see the appeal of the Mavic.

In my mind I have two routes I could take with this:

1. Buy the P4P now. If and when a 4K 60 Mavic comes out (probably next year) pick one up. Have both the P4P and the Mavic. Could sell the P4P if it isn't needed anymore.

2. Buy the Mavic Platinum Pro now. If and when a 4K 60 mavic comes out (probably next year) pick one up. Sell the Mavic Platinum Pro.

2017-10-18
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

If you dont need something small enough to stick in a backpack and climb a mountain with then i'd say go for the P4P.  The camera is massively better than the mavic.  Not just the FPS but a bigger sensor, less noise, more dynamic range,  variable aperture.  Its night and day.  So if you're prepared to sacrifice some portability for image quality its no contest, P4P wins hands down.  If you require portability over quality then its the mavic.
60fps v 30fps would be absolute bottom of my lists when deciding which to get though.
2017-10-18
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-10-18 07:13
If you dont need something small enough to stick in a backpack and climb a mountain with then i'd say go for the P4P.  The camera is massively better than the mavic.  Not just the FPS but a bigger sensor, less noise, more dynamic range,  variable aperture.  Its night and day.  So if you're prepared to sacrifice some portability for image quality its no contest, P4P wins hands down.  If you require portability over quality then its the mavic.
60fps v 30fps would be absolute bottom of my lists when deciding which to get though.

Interesting...thanks for the feedback. These things really help with my decision. Like I said...at this point I am leaning slightly towards the P4P.
2017-10-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-17 19:19
Since you have both...what is your suggestion.  If you could ONLY have one drone which would it be? Also...a bit off topic, but if I did get the P4P would you get the P4P+ or P4P? (I have an iPad mini 4 I was going to use).

If money is NO object get the P4P+ the screen in the sun is amazing and if you have extra bucks get the P4P and then get the 7" CS monitor and you will get double the pleasure.

I have the backpack for the P4P and I have no issue with travel.

Now, if you don't have the extra bucks and you travel a lot and you don't use for a professional shoot then I will get the MPP. It should last you a couple of years until the MPP is upgraded and the kinks are sorted out.

2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-10-18 17:26
If money is NO object get the P4P+ the screen in the sun is amazing and if you have extra bucks get the P4P and then get the 7" CS monitor and you will get double the pleasure.

"I have the backpack for the P4P and I have no issue with travel. ".

What's the model/style of the backpack? looking to p/u one too.
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-18 07:30
Interesting...thanks for the feedback. These things really help with my decision. Like I said...at this point I am leaning slightly towards the P4P.

".at this point I am leaning slightly towards the P4P."

Good move! thinking of picking one myself. Besides having a better quality 'eye', looks like the aperture set-up has more options than previous model.
2017-10-18
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-18 07:02
Thanks for all the feedback it is very much appreciated. Unfortunately I haven't found the decision to be any easier haha. It seems like a lot of folks use the Mavic over the P4P.

Probably my biggest question at this point:

Whats your video output going to be ?
For professional work it seems for cinematic looks everyone shoots at 24fps anyways. I've always found 60fps looks odd to me.
2017-10-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-18 17:33
"I have the backpack for the P4P and I have no issue with travel. ".

I use DJI.

https://store.dji.com/product/mu ... -for-phantom-series
2017-10-18
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656703 ft
United States

I have both but in urban areas the P4P will have better range than the Mavic because you can select and choose the 5.8ghz frequency on the P4P remote.
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-10-18 18:05
I use DJI.

https://store.dji.com/product/multifunctional-backpack-for-phantom-series

Thanks a lot. Looks like the perfect one.
2017-10-19
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-10-18 17:26

Thanks for the feedback - I've already determined I will likely get the P4P over the P4P+. If the P4P+ was detachable so you could use an iPad I would get it in a heartbeat, but that and the fact that you can't use outside apps like Litchi and some of the other apps is a total deal breaker. I can get a sun shade for my iPad mini 4 or get the CS monitor down the road.
2017-10-19
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

nottuppaware Posted at 2017-10-18 17:40
Whats your video output going to be ?
For professional work it seems for cinematic looks everyone shoots at 24fps anyways. I've always found 60fps looks odd to me.

Yea that is a good point...but man the P4P camera is just *that* much better than the Mavic camera - even though the Mavic camera is great already.
2017-10-19
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I am an MP owner and suffering with aircreft motor overload!
I do believe MP is a good choice, but he is far away problematic than the others big bros!
I really think that the great, the major point of MV is portability.
Unfortunately.
2017-10-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-19 06:57
Thanks for the feedback - I've already determined I will likely get the P4P over the P4P+. If the P4P+ was detachable so you could use an iPad I would get it in a heartbeat, but that and the fact that you can't use outside apps like Litchi and some of the other apps is a total deal breaker. I can get a sun shade for my iPad mini 4 or get the CS monitor down the road.

CS is a must especially if you are filing outside with the sun. But good choice and good luck!

2017-10-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-19 04:29
Thanks a lot. Looks like the perfect one.

My pleasure dude! Have fun.
2017-10-19
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

To address your earlier question about fps - You really should only use 60fps if you are doing slow motion. I actually don't even use 30fps, and prefer 24fps, to get a nice motion blur and cinematic look. Whenever I used to shot in 30fps, it looked like a soap opera (they are shot in 30fps), while 24fps looked more like a movie. Here is a couple examples of 24fps videos I did on my Mavic:

As someone else said, max fps would be my last consideration, when choosing...
Hope this helps!
2017-10-19
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

Bill Drones Posted at 2017-10-19 13:05
To address your earlier question about fps - You really should only use 60fps if you are doing slow motion. I actually don't even use 30fps, and prefer 24fps, to get a nice motion blur and cinematic look. Whenever I used to shot in 30fps, it looked like a soap opera (they are shot in 30fps), while 24fps looked more like a movie. Here is a couple examples of 24fps videos I did on my Mavic:

Thanks a lot for sharing! Hearing about the FPS certainly makes the Mavic more attractive. I likely won't purchase anything until closer to Christmas time so this will give me some time to think about what I want to do.
Off topic question, but how were you able to use that M83 song (I love M83) for your video on YouTube?
2017-10-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

P4P doesn't have that artificial floor like the Mavic has. So you can fly it into the ground & it'll tip over. I own both.
2017-10-19
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-19 14:27
P4P doesn't have that artificial floor like the Mavic has. So you can fly it into the ground & it'll tip over. I own both.

I'm not too concerned about that to be honest.
2017-10-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-19 14:43

OK, cool.  Perhaps this may influence...

H.265 & 4k with the P4P looks stunning.  The colors (using D-Cinelike with those settings) are 100% accurate and look FAR different from H.264 with the same P4P.  4k60 is a pain to work with and isn't worth using (obviously my own opinion).

The Mavic's bitrate is crap, which is VERY important since you are now a moving camera.  You'll have frustrations over this, possibly.  Choose Mavic for an "ok" picture & extreme portability.

Oh, 1 other tidbit of info:  don't get the P4P PLUS with built-in low-tech screen.  It blows.  I have this one & it was a huge mistake.  HUGE.  DJI GO never gets updated, you have no way of exporting anything, and it is slow as hell tapping stuff/using.  It's bright, but that is it.  It's not even big enough compared to a nice phone you could have used.

2017-10-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

CC268 Posted at 2017-10-19 14:43

I have both, and enjoy the different cameras for the video, or shots I am after. If you can only have one, then the P4P will give you more camera options.

PS, I like your avatar, I owned and flew the Pitts S1D

Rich
2017-10-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-19 21:28

H.265 & 4k with the P4P looks stunning.  The colors (using D-Cinelike with those settings) are 100% accurate and look FAR different from H.264 with the same P4P.  4k60 is a pain to work with and isn't worth using (obviously my own opinion).

" I have this one & it was a huge mistake.  HUGE.  DJI GO never gets updated, you have no way of exporting anything, and it is slow as hell tapping stuff/using.  It's bright, but that is it. "

Glad I did my research and decided against the 'Pro screen option'. Think I'll just stick to my 7 Plus.
2017-10-20
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-19 21:28

Thanks for the feedback! I think I am pretty much ready to buy the P4P at this point haha.

I will definitely bypass the P4P Plus (with the screen) as I already have an iPad mini 4 I can use.

2017-10-20
Use props
CC268
lvl.1

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-19 22:22
I have both, and enjoy the different cameras for the video, or shots I am after. If you can only have one, then the P4P will give you more camera options.

PS, I like your avatar, I owned and flew the Pitts S1D

Thanks for the feedback!

Very cool! The Pitts is an incredible machine. I don't own this one, unfortunately, but did my fair share of aerobatics in it.
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules