Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Landing gear stuck beyond repair
2002 21 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wihr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 373018 ft
Netherlands

I've owned the inspire 2 for 7 months now and recently the landing gear would get stuck in landing position. The landing gear would get itself stuck by going too far on the rod. I found a solution to screw it back a little bit to fix the problem but everytime I needed to do this the screw slot got weaker and weaker due to damage from not being able to know the exact size of this slot. Placing small O rings to prevent the landing gear from getting stuck only delayed the problem for a few flights. Now it's that time of the week again and there's not much I can do that won't break warranty or possibly cause worse damage to the aircraft.

For a drone that costs €3.399,- this shouldn't even be possible.
Having a drone that's registered in the Dutch flightregister I can't just send it to any old place or DJI for that matter to get it repaired. This makes me rely on an expensive service, not covered by DJI care even though this doesn't concern any error from my side, that takes days preventing me from the jobs I could have otherwise accepted.

If this drone is to succeed in the professional market it doesn't need the X7, that camera is eventually just as useless as the drone it's attached to.

DJI fix these drones first before talking about "going to the next level of cinematography" as I personally don't see any reason to invest in DJI product any longer if I am to use drones more in a work envoirement.

2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Wihr, sorry to read on your unpleasant experience with our product.
It seems you have turned the screw underneath the aircraft but the problem still persists.
In that case, the drone will need to be sent in for evaluation and repair. We will repair without any charge if it was caused by hardware malfunction.

For hardware damage, we are unable to get it fixed remotely, hope for your kind understanding.
We will keep improving the quality of our products to make your experience with us better in the future.
2017-10-18
Use props
Tmygun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just out of curiosity.....why can't you send it in to DJI?  Sounds like a cut and dried warranty issue.
2017-10-18
Use props
Wihr
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-18 04:14
Wihr, sorry to read on your unpleasant experience with our product.
It seems you have turned the screw underneath the aircraft but the problem still persists.
In that case, the drone will need to be sent in for evaluation and repair. We will repair without any charge if it was caused by hardware malfunction.

Thanks for the quick response Mindy but as stated in my previous message I am unable to send the drone in for repair. As much as I want to use my DJI Care for this issue the law prevents me from doing so.
As a professional pilot I have to register my drone and when you do so only certified repair centers are allowed to change any part on the drone.
Since I'm in The Netherlands my drone will be send to DJI Europa which will probably be the one in Barendrecht here in The Netherlands. Whom are not certified to repair registered drones by law (aviation laws from The Netherlands).
I hope you understand my situation in this as someone who depends on their drones for my business. At this point I'm clueless where to go as both options won't benefit me in the slightest and my drone is becoming useless for almost all jobs planned for it.
2017-10-18
Use props
Wihr
lvl.4
Netherlands

Tmygun Posted at 2017-10-18 05:28
Just out of curiosity.....why can't you send it in to DJI?  Sounds like a cut and dried warranty issue.

Read my message to DJI Mindy, I've explained "why?" there.
2017-10-18
Use props
js.yodj
New
Flight distance : 19813 ft
United States

I'm having the exact same issue. The problem with sending mine in is also downtime from work so I am forced to continue flying it with the gear in the down position. I am still hoping it's a firmware issue.
2017-10-18
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Wihr Posted at 2017-10-18 06:49
Thanks for the quick response Mindy but as stated in my previous message I am unable to send the drone in for repair. As much as I want to use my DJI Care for this issue the law prevents me from doing so.
As a professional pilot I have to register my drone and when you do so only certified repair centers are allowed to change any part on the drone.
Since I'm in The Netherlands my drone will be send to DJI Europa which will probably be the one in Barendrecht here in The Netherlands. Whom are not certified to repair registered drones by law (aviation laws from The Netherlands).

As much as this rarely encountered issue may be indeed frustrating, your explanation of reasons prohibiting the intervention of authorized DJI repair service sounds a bit ... hmm, ridiculous (for the lack of better word). Unfortunately you have only 3 options:

1. Let the AMN (Aircraft Maintenance Netherlands) to fix the landing gear mechanism expertly and accordingly to the law.

2. Quit your professional drone services, fix your drone anywhere else and continue as a freelance amateur pilot.

2. Keep your licence, let the "ignorants" at DJI to service your drone and risk harsh punishment when Korps Nationale Politie discover your crime.

Good luck, and thank you for entertaining us ...

2017-10-18
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

js.yodj Posted at 2017-10-18 13:47
I'm having the exact same issue. The problem with sending mine in is also downtime from work so I am forced to continue flying it with the gear in the down position. I am still hoping it's a firmware issue.

No, it's not firmware issue. It's strictly mechanical and in most cases can be solved by adjusting the screw at bottom.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sir, our official repair center locates in Daelderweg 21,6361 HK NUTH,The Netherlands.
Is that possible send in the drone there for repair?
Since the problem may be the mechanical issue, it must be fixed by technicians, appreciate your understanding.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

I'm sorry to read on this and the trouble that has been caused to your work.
If you are available, we still suggest to send in for evaluation and repair.
If you need any assistance with the repair process, keep us posted, we will do our best to assist.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

I'm sorry to read on this and the trouble that has been caused to your work.
If you are available, we still suggest to send in for evaluation and repair.
If you need any assistance with the repair process, keep us posted, we will do our best to assist.
2017-10-19
Use props
js.yodj
New
Flight distance : 19813 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-10-18 17:54
No, it's not firmware issue. It's strictly mechanical and in most cases can be solved by adjusting the screw at bottom.

I have tried manually raising and lowering the gear using the screw on the bottom. Is this the one you are referring to? Please elaborate. Thanks!
2017-10-19
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

js.yodj Posted at 2017-10-19 17:55
I have tried manually raising and lowering the gear using the screw on the bottom. Is this the one you are referring to? Please elaborate. Thanks!

Yep, that's the one ...
2017-10-19
Use props
fans163bd95c
Flight distance : 137589 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-10-18 17:49
As much as this rarely encountered issue may be indeed frustrating, your explanation of reasons prohibiting the intervention of authorized DJI repair service sounds a bit ... hmm, ridiculous (for the lack of better word). Unfortunately you have only 3 options:

1. Let the AMN (Aircraft Maintenance Netherlands) to fix the landing gear mechanism expertly and accordingly to the law.

YOu being a First offficer should know this is an problem with the Inspire...I just started experiencing this issue as many others have so it is not rare for the Inspire.
2017-10-20
Use props
fans163bd95c
United States

Yuu being a First offficer should know this is an problem with the Inspire...I just started experiencing this issue as many others have so it is not rare for the Inspire.
2017-10-20
Use props
fans163bd95c
United States

Yuu being a First offficer should know this is an problem with the Inspire...I just started experiencing this issue as many others have so it is not rare for the Inspire.
2017-10-20
Use props
fans163bd95c
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-10-19 20:21
Yep, that's the one ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DFOKN0XLPI

You being a First Officer should know this is a problem with the Inspire...I just started experiencing this issue as many others have so it is not rare for the Inspire.
2017-10-20
Use props
fans163bd95c
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-10-19 20:21
Yep, that's the one ...

You being a First Officer should know this is a problem with the Inspire...I just started experiencing this issue as many others have so it is not rare for the Inspire.
sorry for mulitple posts , the web page is sickly...
2017-10-20
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

fans163bd95c Posted at 2017-10-20 10:50

Regardless of how many times you, Yuu or You, say it, it still remains a rarely encountered issue. I've owned an I1 since the start of 2015 and in that time have only seen this problem a handful of times. Dobmatt's advice, although a bit cheeky, seems to be sound.

Mark G.
2017-10-20
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans163bd95c Posted at 2017-10-20 10:48
YOu being a First offficer should know this is an problem with the Inspire...I just started experiencing this issue as many others have so it is not rare for the Inspire.

Matt and Mark have pointed out this Is a rarely reported problem that is leaning toward an hardware issue on the drone.

With over 176 flights on my Inspire 1, never had a problem with the landing gear working. My inspire 2 has also been working flawlessly.

Sorry you are having trouble,  it needs to be serviced by DJI technicians and most likely the center gear module will be replaced.  
Rich
2017-10-20
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matt and Mark have pointed out this Is a rarely reported problem that is leaning toward an hardware issue on the drone.

With over 176 flights on my Inspire 1, never had a problem with the landing gear working. My inspire 2 has also been working flawlessly.

Sorry you are having trouble, but as others have told you, it needs to be serviced by DJI technicians and most likely the center gear module will be replaced.  I might suggest you have a back up aircraft for your business, when things need to be repaired so you can continue your jobs. This is what we do in the full size aviation business.... because things happen and need to be repaired. We are all human and not perfect.

Rich
2017-10-20
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

fans163bd95c Posted at 2017-10-20 10:53
sorry for mulitple posts , the web page is sickly...

My rank doesn't make me smarter or better informed. Knowledge and experience does. All I know is that this issue is a rarely reported malfunction of Inspire landing gear mechanism, usually easy to eliminate. Happen once to me long time ago, never again after screwdriver intervention. It's just a bad luck of yours having the screw jammed so ugly. It may happen after particularly hard landing or dirt contamination, who knows. Let them find out and stop worrying about your responsibilities as a model, law abiding citizen ...
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules