A trivial but useful mod
1301 18 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

I was trying to start a flight when I noticed an unusual message "gimbal motor overload".

I had simply forgotten to remove the lens/gimbal protector. A simple mod to prevent this happening again is to attach some red ribbon "reminder" tags to the parts that must be removed before a flight. A second advantage is the Red ribbon reminds me to switch on Record before starting.

I guess for most of you dementia is not yet a cause for concern.

sparksafety tags low res.jpg
2017-10-18
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

I've had that same message, for exactly the same reason. Got worried for a second, till I realised it was pilot error.
2017-10-18
Use props
Blue17
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56010 ft
Germany

Simple and effective. Thanks.
2017-10-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Next step:

Cross check!
2017-10-18
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Great idea .. thanks for sharing
2017-10-18
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

nice idea haha
2017-10-18
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That’s a lot of red ribbon you got there
2017-10-18
Use props
BlueBox
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49029 ft
United Kingdom

Did this with mine!
5A7C7D80-0454-4471-B6B5-9359F30C27AC.jpeg
2017-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice DIY solution.
2017-10-18
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Nice.. just like big airplanes have :-)
2017-10-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Nice and funny! We are getting more and more professional with our pre-flight checks and procedures :-)
2017-10-18
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

I don't think of these events as dementia but a lack of sticky notes (or in this case ribbon).  I like to call it "CRS-squared" (Can't Remember Stuff).  The squared is when I did add the sticky note but now I can't read it or maybe can't remember the abbreviated word I used.

Ahhhhh .... but just think of the "wisdom" we have as we get older.  Yes more professional.  We know we should check stuff during the pre-flight check but we just can't always remember what ... that is where the ribbon and sticky notes help.  If you can't remember where you last put your Spark it is OK .... but if you can't remember you actually have a Spark .... trouble.

Uhhhhh .... what were we talking about?
2017-10-18
Use props
PhantomRPh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1378 ft
United States

Had the same thing happen to me.
2017-10-18
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Nice wrap.  Your spark looks like it has been in combat then sold as a refurbished unit/surplus.  
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

It is necessary to do a pre-flight check and glad you find a way to avoid the same mistake.
2017-10-18
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

Mark S Posted at 2017-10-18 12:10
I don't think of these events as dementia but a lack of sticky notes (or in this case ribbon).  I like to call it "CRS-squared" (Can't Remember Stuff).  The squared is when I did add the sticky note but now I can't read it or maybe can't remember the abbreviated word I used.

Ahhhhh .... but just think of the "wisdom" we have as we get older.  Yes more professional.  We know we should check stuff during the pre-flight check but we just can't always remember what ... that is where the ribbon and sticky notes help.  If you can't remember where you last put your Spark it is OK .... but if you can't remember you actually have a Spark .... trouble.

Like the old gag  - but on a different subject:-

"I still remember what to do .... I've just fogotten why!"
2017-10-19
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I was wondering if the gimbal protector is a good item to have, if it is really worth to spend money on that...And, what is the black thing on your Spark?
2017-10-19
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-10-19 02:59
I was wondering if the gimbal protector is a good item to have, if it is really worth to spend money on that...And, what is the black thing on your Spark?

I think a gimbal gard is definately worth the money. I have a tendency, when pushing the battery in, to put my thumb over the camera for more purchase. (I have a problem with arthritis).

The "black thing" on top is a prop gard  for when transporting the spark. I am not likely to forget to remove that but I had some red ribbon left over.
2017-10-19
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

MikB Posted at 2017-10-19 04:03
I think a gimbal gard is definately worth the money. I have a tendency, when pushing the battery in, to put my thumb over the camera for more purchase. (I have a problem with arthritis).

The "black thing" on top is a prop gard  for when transporting the spark. I am not likely to forget to remove that but I had some red ribbon left over.

Haha..ok  I see I might get me one of these, I have been thinking about it for a while...
2017-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules