Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
M210-RTK: Magnetic -vs- ElectroMagnetic Interference
3918 9 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BvdM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 233950 ft
Netherlands

Hello all,

Would anyone perhaps be able to elaborate how the M210-RTK is supposed to be able to better resist ELECTROmagnetic interference?

It is very clear to me how RTK positioning rules out compass errors resulting from magnetic interference (due to omitting the use of the onboard compass for orientation purposes), but I still do not see how the RTK version (compared to the M200 and M210) would perform better with respect to electromagnetic interference specifically. Electromagnetic interference goes well beyond affecting (electronic) compass performance and may also impact other onboard sensors and electronics.

It is striking that DJI seems to interchange the use of both forms of interference without acknowledging they are two very different parameters that may impact the bird's performance in different ways and under similarly different conditions. For example, DJI's promotional video on the M210-RTK for powerline inspections explicitely mentions resistance to ELECTROmagnetic fields, whereas various official pages on DJI's RTK modules are limited to mentioning resistance to magnetic interference only. The latter makes sense, the former does absolutely not.

Bob
2017-10-18
Use props
fansd528f9e0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2913648 ft
United States

GREAT QUESTION
2017-10-18
Use props
ROBERM19
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

It's marketing and sales, one of the biggest consumer complaints about DJI relates to what you're talking about. Your example is more of a misnomer than deception, but for other more important issues such as capabilities and features, a lot of consumers have been irritated enough to return the product. RTK not integrated to geotag images and the F4-F8 ports on the A3 not active unless you have the expansion kit ($$$ in DJI's pocket) are two examples I can think of.
2017-10-19
Use props
Drone Ranger
lvl.1
Flight distance : 139360 ft
Australia

Bob ... have you been able to get any further information on this very good question?
2018-6-3
Use props
kozlio#
lvl.4
Canada

Would DJI please provide us with more information on this topic? @DJI Susan @DJI Mindy
2018-6-3
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

I’m interested too?
I need a more stable drone, for inspecting power line and high voltage outdoor power stations, than my P4P is.
DJI M210 or M210-RTK? I don’t want to pay so much more for the D-RTK Ground System if it’s useless for that kind of inspections.
2018-6-5
Use props
mbuonanno
lvl.4

Italy

I fully agree with ROBERM19.

Read this post for a final answer:

RTK takes LONG time to initialize
https://forum.dji.com/thread-152022-1-1.html

Maurizio
2018-6-28
Use props
BvdM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 233950 ft
Netherlands

mbuonanno Posted at 2018-6-28 22:03
I fully agree with ROBERM19.

Read this post for a final answer:

Thanks mbuonanno,

That pretty much seems to answer my question while confirming my doubts; resistance to MI is enhanced indeed (although one person seems to disagree) but regarding EMI resistance the M210-RTK is hardly any different from any other consumer drone. Looks like DJI has some thinking to do, especially witnessing how they consistently market their M200 series for applications in both magnetic AND radio intensive environments. The hardware isn't quiet there yet, so it seems.
2018-6-28
Use props
AIRAMATIC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 643041 ft
United Kingdom

BvdM Posted at 2018-6-28 22:29
Thanks mbuonanno,

That pretty much seems to answer my question while confirming my doubts; resistance to MI is enhanced indeed (although one person seems to disagree) but regarding EMI resistance the M210-RTK is hardly any different from any other consumer drone. Looks like DJI has some thinking to do, especially witnessing how they consistently market their M200 series for applications in both magnetic AND radio intensive environments. The hardware isn't quiet there yet, so it seems.

I opened up the 210 to see what protection it has, well it has a bit of sticky foil tape over the GPS antenna and that's about it... I expected a bit more sheilding if I had to be honest.
20180630_102714.jpg
2018-7-1
Use props
kozlio#
lvl.4
Canada

I wonder if more people had access to this picture earlier and this magnetic interference “resistance” info, would they still invest big bucks for an M-series uav. I’d be hard pressed to but one today if I had the knowledge about the product from today..
2018-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules