867 20 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

These legs really give some good ground clearance, also allow me to attach the lume cube

mavic legs 2.jpg
mavic legs 1.jpg
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a Tarantula...what's the extra weight add up to be? and have you seen a decrease in flight time?
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am sorry, we don't recommend mounting any third party accessories to the drone or it might affect the flight stability and the drone's warranty. Hope your kind understanding.
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

You fooled me with the thread title; I was hoping for a video clip of some other kind of scenery.

Does that luma cube get in the way of the gimbal going fully down?  In one pic it looks like it might, but I can't tell for sure.  I think those legs are a bit of overkill... where do you land that you need so much height?  In the middle of a soybean field?   More length means more weight and less battery life, of course.
2017-10-18
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-18 04:51
Looks like a Tarantula...what's the extra weight add up to be? and have you seen a decrease in flight time?

the lume cube weighs 3.5 ounces, the legs are a negligible weight
2017-10-18
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-18 04:58
I am sorry, we don't recommend mounting any third party accessories to the drone or it might affect the flight stability and the drone's warranty. Hope your kind understanding.

Yes I do understand, the lume cube is removable.

The standard mavic legs are too short , every landing risks damage to the gimbal which is the most fragile part of the AC
2017-10-18
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

I've been wondering about some longer legs also. Every time I land I think about gimbal . I  have the landing pad but sometimes I need to land where the pad isn't.
2017-10-18
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 05:03
You fooled me with the thread title; I was hoping for a video clip of some other kind of scenery.

Does that luma cube get in the way of the gimbal going fully down?  In one pic it looks like it might, but I can't tell for sure.  I think those legs are a bit of overkill... where do you land that you need so much height?  In the middle of a soybean field?   More length means more weight and less battery life, of course.

No, it's just the camera angle , there is about half an inch clearance to the lume cube, the gimbal has a full range of motion, but if it's looking straight down the lume cube will obsure a bit of the image.
The legs are more so to protect on a heavy landing just a bit of an insurance policy, the tripod screw allows you to attach other things instead of a lume cube e.g gopro, virb ultra, 360 deg camera, so this adds a bit of flexibility

2017-10-18
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

The standard DJI get out of jail post!! ... should you run into problems with your drone you are now not covered!

As for the set up ... looks neat, how well does the lume cube illuminate things?
2017-10-18
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bigga J Posted at 2017-10-18 06:02
The standard DJI get out of jail post!! ... should you run into problems with your drone you are now not covered!

As for the set up ... looks neat, how well does the lume cube illuminate things?

At 1500 lumens at max power a lume cube is more powerful than one of a car's lights on high beam, the beam is not as concentrated, but it does create a lot of light for a small piece of kit
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-10-18 06:25
At 1500 lumens at max power a lume cube is more powerful than one of a car's lights on high beam, the beam is not as concentrated, but it does create a lot of light for a small piece of kit

1500 lumens?  Wow, you sold me.  Those guys should pay you commission because now I'm buying one.  How exactly did you mount it?  Just velcro tape or something?

I see on their site they're now selling a kit that has TWO lights and special mounts especially made for the MP.  They snap to the side arms and don't seem like they would interfere with anything.  Supposedly this kit will be available "Fall 2017".  So that's like now.  I may hold off for that one  Or maybe they'll sell the MP mounts separately when they're available?
2017-10-18
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Burmman Posted at 2017-10-18 05:15
I've been wondering about some longer legs also. Every time I land I think about gimbal . I  have the landing pad but sometimes I need to land where the pad isn't.

Hand catch if you know how and if possible.
2017-10-18
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 06:38
1500 lumens?  Wow, you sold me.  Those guys should pay you commission because now I'm buying one.  How exactly did you mount it?  Just velcro tape or something?

I see on their site they're now selling a kit that has TWO lights and special mounts especially made for the MP.  They snap to the side arms and don't seem like they would interfere with anything.  Supposedly this kit will be available "Fall 2017".  So that's like now.  I may hold off for that one  Or maybe they'll sell the MP mounts separately when they're available?

The leg set has a inverted tripod screw that you can attach the lume cube to.

Having 2 lume cubes attached to the MP is starting to get a bit heavy
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-10-18 07:26
The leg set has a inverted tripod screw that you can attach the lume cube to.

Having 2 lume cubes attached to the MP is starting to get a bit heavy

Oh wait, so you're saying I have to buy those big honkin' legs just to attach the luma cube in the manner that you did?  That's no good.  I'll have to look into an alternate mounting solution.

I agree, two cubes sounds a little on the heavy side.  I'd rather just have one, but I _really_ like the way the new luma Mavic Pro kit snaps on totally out of the way on each side.  I'm not sure how much the mavic would like the unequal weight distribution if I just hooked up one.  Only one way to find out I suppose!

By the way, what brand are those legs?  I may give them a try anyway, especially if they are easily removed.
2017-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 07:55
Oh wait, so you're saying I have to buy those big honkin' legs just to attach the luma cube in the manner that you did?  That's no good.  I'll have to look into an alternate mounting solution.

I agree, two cubes sounds a little on the heavy side.  I'd rather just have one, but I _really_ like the way the new luma Mavic Pro kit snaps on totally out of the way on each side.  I'm not sure how much the mavic would like the unequal weight distribution if I just hooked up one.  Only one way to find out I suppose!

It does not look that way from the picture.
Although you need some long legs to compensate for the added height.
2017-10-18
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

lannes Posted at 2017-10-18 05:07

The standard mavic legs are too short , every landing risks damage to the gimbal which is the most fragile part of the AC

Yes, remove the legs (one of the most used accessories) and damage your props, so you will need to buy more from DJI....
2017-10-18
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 07:55

To mount the lume cube under the body, these legs are the only way I've seen it  done.

Here are the legs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mavic-p ... :g:~P8AAOSwy69ZqHeC

You could cut the legs down, they are just 3d printed

or you could velcro and strap the lume cube to the top of the battery, but the beam angle would be different and the body section in front of it would cast a shadow.

I actually got the legs for gimbal protection, the lume cube mounting was a second option for creating more visibility of the drone as opposed to lighting up an area, there are probably better lights with a narrow bean pattern that have better range

2017-10-18
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whoa! those are some long legged legs.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

lannes Posted at 2017-10-18 05:07

Yeah, keep flying safely.
2017-10-18
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

They look good with the lume cube
2017-10-21
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4